HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 1:19 PM

Kell Muñoz, Bartlett Cocke picked to design/build first A&M campus building

Kell Muñoz, Bartlett Cocke picked to design/build first A&M campus building
San Antonio Business Journal

The Texas A&M University System selected architectural firm Kell Muñoz Inc. as the designer of Texas A&M University-San Antonio’s first building on campus.

San Antonio-based Kell Muñoz will design a multi-purpose building that will house classrooms, computer labs, a library, meeting space, food services, a bookstore and common area. The facilities will be equipped with state-of-the-art technology and wireless Internet.

Bartlett Cocke General Contractors has been named the construction management at risk firm. Bartlett Cocke also is a local firm with 50 years of experience in San Antonio building educational facilities. The company has more than $2.5 billion worth of construction management at risk construction experience.

Design work will begin immediately and construction is slated to start during the Spring of 2010 on the 640-acre site that will comprise the new South San Antonio campus.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 10:38 PM

Rendering for new TAMUSA building

Well Spring 2010 is here....
and here is the rendering.
Construction is set to start next month.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 11:47 PM

Though the design could have been slightly better I believe it's still a good looking building for the campus. My major gripe w/ UTSA is that the buildings built there recently have no sense, no meaning to them. Those buldings aren't the kind you see 80-100 years later. This building, however, sorta seems like it can be a long lasting building. I like that they plan to keep green space in front to make it sorta like a meeting place or just a plce to take in some sun. I'm excited for this to go up and eventually have a full grown campus on the southside.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

That is a very nice building considering its the first building for a new four year university on the South side. It's also 100 times nicer as a starter building then what UTSA started with, for sure.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:13 PM

It looks like an old high school...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 3:18 AM
James

I like it, although it could use a sort of ornament at the top ofthe center tower-esque thing

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 5:21 PM

It was a nice design until they decided to use that horrid ugly brick. At lease use some accent relief colors...come on.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 2:08 AM

Its only one building though, and not even the admin building, so I doubt its going to be the epitome of on-campus architecture. Some kind of landmark spire or tower would be a good idea for a future building though, that's something that UTSA definitely lacks. From 1604 you can't even tell that its a university. Since TAMU-SA is kind of hidden from view from 410 something with a little height would be nice to define the campus.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:18 AM

Well the first building at A&M SA is topped out

c/o mysa.com

It also looks like a second building is looking to be funded.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...107390873.html

At Texas A&M-San Antonio, the school is building its first permanent building with $40 million in tuition revenue bonds, but will need a second building right away, spokeswoman Marilu Reyna said. At 3,120 students and growing, the school is already larger than Trinity University and Our Lady of the Lake University, which have full-sized campuses.
“The bottom line is to catch up with the growth. It is critical that we have that second building,” Reyna said.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:58 AM
Let's Eat!

I was woundering about the building/campous and Im glad to see that its on the up and up. This will help growth along the 410 south area so much. Just think in 5 years or so it could have 6-7 thousand students!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:31 AM

TAMUSA is adding buildings 2 and 3 to the campus. It looks like the second academic building will be nearly twice the size of the one they opened last year. I'm hope that means they're getting ready for faster growth in the next few years!

I drove through the area in August and between the first building and roads already laid out, it looks like the whole development really is setup to be first-class. Has there been any news about construction on the neighborhood that's supposed to go up around the campus?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/communit...th-3365020.php

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
TAMUSA is adding buildings 2 and 3 to the campus. It looks like the second academic building will be nearly twice the size of the one they opened last year. I'm hope that means they're getting ready for faster growth in the next few years!

I drove through the area in August and between the first building and roads already laid out, it looks like the whole development really is setup to be first-class. Has there been any news about construction on the neighborhood that's supposed to go up around the campus?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/communit...th-3365020.php
Only news I've read in a while......

http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/fe...nio-land-deal/

and not sure when this is from; has to be from last year...

http://www.retailsolutions.us/proper..._At_Verano.pdf
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 7:39 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A. View Post
A&M campus could become S.A.'s Harvard

Look out Harvard, here comes Texas A&M University-San Antonio.

“Yes, Harvard-Cambridge may seem like pie-in-the sky, but it's not,” said Scott Polikov, president of Fort Worth-based Gateway Planning Group, which is designing the community for the Verano Land Group. Verano donated nearly 700 acres to Texas A&M to build the university and an irrigation technology center, with plans to recoup its costs on the surrounding developments.

“One of the reasons Harvard became great is that Cambridge was planned and grew to be a vessel to support Harvard,” Polikov said. “This is absolutely possible.”
/facepalm

Typical aggy. lol

Being the oldest school in the US, and having the largest endowment in the world @ $32 billion (Yale second @ $19 billion, UT 3rd @ $17 billion, and a very distant aggy 9th @ $7 billion) I somehow don't think Harvard is to worried about TAMU-SA.

Typical aggy nonsense aside, I love the community plans. Has anything other than the school broken ground? That urban stadium looks amazing!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:35 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I don't think the thrust of the article was to compare A&M SA to Harvard, but rather to compare the similarities of the communities around those institutions.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:47 PM
~Hook'em~

I went to school in Boston so I am a lot more familiar with Boston and Cambridge than SA, so please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Cambridge is just across the river from Downtown Boston. Harvard is 3 miles from Downtown Boston, and about a mile from MIT. Cambridge has Harvard, MIT, Hult, Lesley, in addition to Tuffs (1 mile away), U Mass-Boston (4 miles), Northeastern (1 mile), Boston University (across the river) Boston College (4 miles), Emerson (mile) and countless other wonderful schools within 5 miles of Cambridge. Those at and associated with the schools in just Cambridge (not including Boston) have won over 100 Nobel Prizes. Cambridge, Mass has over 100k people and a density of 16,500/sq mi.

TAM-SA is over 10 miles from Downtown SA in a bunch of farm fields outside loop 410 with an area population density of 233. It is 16 miles from Trinity and like 22 miles from the UT Med School and 25 miles from UT-SA. It really makes me wonder if they are actively trying to build all these schools as far away from one another as they possibly can in an attempt to stifle any and all collaboration completely. It is absurd and exactly the OPPOSITE of what they have done in Cambridge and Boston.

I love the look of the community they presented as what they want to create out there. It really looks amazing. Fantastic. I hope they build it. I think it will be great. But it really bothers me how they go about finding locations for such schools and projects. And to suggest creating something equivalent to Cambridge is absolutely absurd. That is 100% aggy thinking right there. It is great they are setting high goals, but only aggy could believe they can build a Cambridge, Mass out of a bunch of farm fields in South Texas. “Yes, Harvard-Cambridge may seem like pie-in-the sky, but it's not,” Really? I mean come on! lol

Last edited by BevoLJ; Mar 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Again, with all due respect to your knowledge and experience of Boston and Cambridge, I think you've missed the point. You're right in saying that it is a sort of bizarre comparison to make. Clearly it's absurd to say that Verano and TAMU-SA is in any way comparable to Cambridge and Harvard. However, I believe the article in question is drawing the connection between the two areas because they are both urban villages centered around academic communities that are removed from the urban CBDs of their respective cities. Now, I am not particularly familiar with the development pattern of the Boston area, but I think I would be right in concluding that Harvard was originally a more or less "greenfield" development, albeit closer to central Boston than this is to central SA, of course.

Also, I see the "Look out Harvard here comes TAMU-SA" part as a sort of tongue-in-cheek statement. The E-N is a good, professional paper, and they would never seriously contend that a new Harvard was indeed being founded on the South Side. I believe that Harvard is invoked here in the spirit of "Hey, Harvard is a great model, and we would like to incorporate a couple of those elements here in our new university". I don't think the intent of the article was to invoke a serious comparison between Harvard Square and South Zarzamora...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I went to school in Boston so I am a lot more familiar with Boston and Cambridge than SA, so please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Cambridge is just across the river from Downtown Boston. Harvard is 3 miles from Downtown Boston, and about a mile from MIT. Cambridge has Harvard, MIT, Hult, Lesley, in addition to Tuffs (1 mile away), U Mass-Boston (4 miles), Northeastern (1 mile), Boston University (across the river) Boston College (4 miles), Emerson (mile) and countless other wonderful schools within 5 miles of Cambridge. Those at and associated with the schools in just Cambridge (not including Boston) have won over 100 Nobel Prizes. Cambridge, Mass has over 100k people and a density of 16,500/sq mi.

TAM-SA is over 10 miles from Downtown SA in a bunch of farm fields outside loop 410 with an area population density of 233. It is 16 miles from Trinity and like 22 miles from the UT Med School and 25 miles from UT-SA. It really makes me wonder if they are actively trying to build all these schools as far away from one another as they possibly can in an attempt to stifle any and all collaboration completely. It is absurd and exactly the OPPOSITE of what they have done in Cambridge and Boston.

I love the look of the community they presented as what they want to create out there. It really looks amazing. Fantastic. I hope they build it. I think it will be great. But it really bothers me how they go about finding locations for such schools and projects. And to suggest creating something equivalent to Cambridge is absolutely absurd. That is 100% aggy thinking right there. It is great they are setting high goals, but only aggy could believe they can build a Cambridge, Mass out of a bunch of farm fields in South Texas. “Yes, Harvard-Cambridge may seem like pie-in-the sky, but it's not,” Really? I mean come on! lol
You are absolutely right to state that it is sheer hyperbole to compare an embryonic branch of A&M, located in the middle of a cornfield in far south San Antonio, with Harvard and Cambridge. But dude, it's spelled "Aggie".

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 10:26 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
But dude, it's spelled "Aggie".
heh

And THE University of Texas is UT not t.u.

We make fun of them being stupid (Which they aren't. A$M is a fantastic school) by misspelling aggy. They call us t.u. because they feel UT makes it sound like UT is the is the one state university of Texas while they think they are, and it hurts their oh so delicate ego and sense of entitlement. (a sense of entitlement on full display in that articles headline. lol)

Edit: Oh and we call them A$M rather than A&M because the only time they had just a tiny bit of success in any sports they had to cheat and pay their players.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic. So are they building anything other than the school out there? Any word on the urban community mentioned that would go along with it?

Last edited by BevoLJ; Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
heh

And THE University of Texas is UT not t.u.

We make fun of them being stupid (Which they aren't. A$M is a fantastic school) by misspelling aggy. They call us t.u. because they feel UT makes it sound like UT is the is the one state university of Texas while they think they are, and it hurts their oh so delicate ego and sense of entitlement. (a sense of entitlement on full display in that articles headline. lol)

Edit: Oh and we call them A$M rather than A&M because the only time they had just a tiny bit of success in any sports they had to cheat and pay their players.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic. So are they building anything other than the school out there? Any word on the urban community mentioned that would go along with it?
Thanks for the explanation.

It looks like all further development is on hold at least until this lawsuit business is settled. Personally I'm pessimistic that even a quarter of what was planned will be built.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:09 PM
~Hook'em~

That sucks. The other development that was to go around the school really looked amazing. Especially the stadium. That stadium picture looked very unique and I would really love to see something like that built and see it work out great. So often stadiums in urban environments just put up these huge walls (or worse endless parking lots) that really mess up the urban experience. That one looked like they made great effort to not do that, and make it feel like it naturally fit the urban experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio