HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 5:32 AM

i've been to the coquitlam ikea numerous times and i feel like i am the only customer which is nice, weekends are the worst time to go and roads and traffic around that store are awful same with the richmond location

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I walked into Ikea for my shift tonight, and the place was DESERTED. I mostly blame the Winnipeg effect though: store/place opens, huge hype, dies down badly. Example: Portage Place
there was a winter storm today, a normal 25 minute commute was over 40 mminutes. a casual window shopper was not going out shopping

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
there was a winter storm today, a normal 25 minute commute was over 40 mminutes. a casual window shopper was not going out shopping
Yeah, winter storms tend to have that effect. My first job was at Future Shop, and I remember clearly that year there was a 30cm snow dump (Coquitlam, BC) on December 23rd. This was in 1998 (when computer tech stores were THE place to do your christmas shopping), and that day, the store was empty. Winter storms tend to make people say "mehhh, not today."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I walked into Ikea for my shift tonight, and the place was DESERTED. I mostly blame the Winnipeg effect though: store/place opens, huge hype, dies down badly. Example: Portage Place
Riiiight. Because it couldn't possibly be the fact that the roads were absolute crap and most were spending the evening shoveling their driveways.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:56 AM
I am a typical

During a blizzard is usually the best time to go grocery shopping. You can be in and out really quick. It's easier if you live on a transit route that stops in front the the door of the same grocery store you're going to.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Was just there today right after store opening and the place was a zoo, restaurant lined up 150 deep and checkouts blazing with beeps. Seems to be doing just fine.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 1:32 AM

ya same with polo park yesterday.. circled the parking lot for 15 minutes looking for a spot.. retail in this town is doing mighty fine.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
ya same with polo park yesterday.. circled the parking lot for 15 minutes looking for a spot.. retail in this town is doing mighty fine.
Yeah, now that Zellers is gone, Wal-mart and Superstore get to pick up the slack.

Wait until Target opens... more hype, and that one is going to dissappointing when people finally realize Target coming to town will bring some new products and brands, but PRICES WILL BE THE SAME AS WAL-MART DUE TO THE CANADA PRICING EFFECT.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
I am a typical

Target prices in Southern Ontario have been more like Sears than Zellers or Walmart prices.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 3:46 AM
Transit Nerd

i quit ikea!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 3:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
i quit ikea!
So you are going back to school to get a post-secondary education and obtain a successful career job, right? RIGHT?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:35 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
So you are going back to school to get a post-secondary education and obtain a successful career job, right? RIGHT?
When I can afford it yes! 3 hours a week at Ikea is kind of saddening, so is no more employee transit shuttles after April 30th... I aint walking 30 minutes to Grant after two jobs, eff that

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
When I can afford it yes! 3 hours a week at Ikea is kind of saddening, so is no more employee transit shuttles after April 30th... I aint walking 30 minutes to Grant after two jobs, eff that
Too bad about your shuttle service. Now as a former employee you can tell us the goods, is the store performing as well as expected? Did enjoy your time there? Sick of meatballs?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
What sort of education are you looking to get?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 9:43 PM
I am a typical

Only 3 hours a week? Does the pay even cover the cost of getting to and from there?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:30 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Too bad about your shuttle service. Now as a former employee you can tell us the goods, is the store performing as well as expected? Did enjoy your time there? Sick of meatballs?
I made sure to hammer in the stuff about Winnipeg Transit before I left. They'll be forced to bring it back eventually

1) Stores performing quite well, but lack of transit service hampers low-income shoppers, along with the fact they hired WAY too much staff and now they dont have hours...
2) I only enjoyed the heavily-subsidized food, and 15+ hour workweeks. After that dwindled to 3 hours/week, along with a few issues with the way things were ran, my employment enjoyment ceased to exist
3) Surprisingly no! I've been having nothing but meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy during my last staff meals there. I got sick at first but later on, it felt quite good. maybe they screwed up cooking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Only 3 hours a week? Does the pay even cover the cost of getting to and from there?
Weekly adult buspass ($22) and a Whopper meal, large drink/fries ($8). Thats it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
What sort of education are you looking to get?
Management would be nice, or a trade minus heavy lifting, heat or working coal mines for the next 50 years of my working life

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:19 PM

Might bit on the small side, white not sure about the color but.
Wacky Wednesdays

TRENDIG dining table
120cm White/Oak table
Was $299
$149
Dimensions:
Metric Imperial
Diameter 120 cm 47 1/4"
Height 74 cm 29 1/8"

Hmmm. haven't been to their outlet yet is it worth the trip?

White and Oak...?
ps:

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 12:40 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
[B]
I'm guessing you're not aware of this but actually you were part of a sieve program.

When retail companies enter a market they do mass hiring to ensure that they'll get some quality employees. They will hire more than they need.

The idea isn't to simply fire anybody who doesn't work as well as expected but rather to figure out who is most deserving of coveted hours. Whether it's because they're too busy, aren't reliable, don't perform well, or any other reason under the sun, the point is to filter out the least desirable. They expect people to quit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:38 PM

The Freep reports that IKEA has announced a new store for Halifax:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can...366187851.html

I'd infer from this that the Winnipeg store can't be doing too badly, because if things were a mess here it's doubtful they'd be building a new store in an even smaller market. I went there a few times before Christmas and always looked fairly busy inside.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 4:01 PM

I've been there a few times, non Christmas season, and it was quite busy. People in every corner of the store. So it must be doing okay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan