HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Lawrence Tech's capital campaign surpasses $100 million
February 10, 2014

Lawrence Technological University (LTU) has surpassed the $100 million mark in its “Proud Heritage, Bold Future” capital campaign, and construction is scheduled to begin in the fall on the first phase of the A. Alfred Taubman Engineering, Life Sciences and Architecture Complex (TELSA).

“We are pleased to be able to launch and complete the construction of the first phase, while continuing fund-raising efforts to complete this entire new complex,” LTU President Virinder Moudgil said.

The 125,000-square-foot project is the top goal of the capital campaign and has an estimated price tag of $55 million. The design architect is Thomas Mayne of California-based Morphosis, and the architect of record is the Detroit-based Albert Kahn Family of Companies.

Construction costs will be approximately $15 million for the first phase, a three-story structure of 34,000 square feet that will be connected to both LTU’s Science Building and Engineering Building at the southeast corner of the campus quad. The new building will provide advanced facilities for robotics engineering, biomedical engineering, life sciences and several related programs, including an office to promote progressive strategies for teaching science, technology, engineering and mathematics – the STEM disciplines.

A new engineering building has been identified as the university’s top priority. The building is designed to create a collaborative learning environment that brings students and faculty closer together and to further promote the interdisciplinary cooperation between LTU’s College of Engineering, College of Arts and Sciences, and College of Architecture and Design. “The new facility will be designed to accommodate such emerging programs as robotics and biomedical engineering that draw upon the expertise of multiple fields of study,” said LTU University Architect Joseph Veryser.

The new building will be named for former LTU student A. Alfred Taubman, the shopping mall pioneer and noted philanthropist who donated $1 million to cover planning for the new building and offered a $10 million challenge grant that has now been matched by over $20 million in new pledges for the construction of the building.

http://sntdesign.com/portfolio/ltu/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 11:52 AM

So awesome.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 1:25 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

It really is something, isn't it? Good to see the campus will physically begin to reflect the talent it puts out.

BTW, all that is rendered, above, is the 34,000 square foot "connector" building, right? We're not also looking at the larger combined engineering building, too, are we?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:41 PM

Speaking as an alumni, I am not the biggest fan of it. It isn't horrible and the basic concept and massing is good, it just seems a little jumbled near the engineering building.

Last edited by Guiltyspark; Feb 24, 2014 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
It really is something, isn't it? Good to see the campus will physically begin to reflect the talent it puts out.

BTW, all that is rendered, above, is the 34,000 square foot "connector" building, right? We're not also looking at the larger combined engineering building, too, are we?
I think it's just the connector building. The larger engineering building is said to be eventually built elevated over the Evans Drain which flows behind the current engineering building.

http://www.examiner.com/article/inte...ew-ltu-complex

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:33 PM

Just as I figured, the building itself isn't big enough for Vintage to make a profit by just purely renovating it. There's going to be a fair amount of new construction with this. The only question is how much? (if the proposal would be approved, that is)

Quote:
Will historic Detroit Boat Club structure survive development plan?
Sherri Welch. February 13, 2014.

Early reports of a $40 million boutique hotel and conference center envisioned for the site of the Detroit Boat Club on Belle Isle gave hope to the idea that the historic structure could be restored.

But it's not a foregone conclusion the existing boat club structure will be a part of the hotel project should it move forward.

Sources versed in the plan say Ontario-based Vintage Hotels group doesn't plan to retain the original structure, unless required, given the high cost associated with renovating it.

Yet, last week, Vintage CEO Bob Jackson told Crain's, "It's a historic building, so you have to do it right. You want to be respectful of the property and its history."

Jackson said the deal isn't contingent on financing or tax credits.

It's unclear from project renderings whether the original boat club structure would be included in the proposed project, though the planned buildings do maintain the aesthetic of the historic boathouse.

And Vintage isn't commenting directly on the matter.

"Our proposal on the Detroit Boat Club to the city of Detroit and the state of Michigan is only that, a proposal," said Joseph Cella, a local representative for Vintage, in an email to Crain's today.

A process is underway to determine if Vintage will issue a formal request for proposals, he said.

"If an RFP is issued, it depends on its contents, and it also depends on what the current condition of the building is, but we would like to preserve where possible and economically feasible."
To begin with, the boat club doesn't even look bad at all. At most, the renovations would be entirely aesthetic. I still contend that this is pretty much equivalent to an open land development if, in the end, the building is entirely reconstructed.

Detroit Boat Club by knightmg01, on Flickr

More interior shots on Flickr.

Elsewhere in the metro...

Quote:
5-story Royal Oak apartment building to break ground in spring
By Kirk Pinho. February 13, 2014.

Construction on a new five-story, 48-unit apartment building in downtown Royal Oak is expected to begin in the spring.

Clinton Township-based developer Aragona Properties LLC garnered financing for the project and now awaits building permits from the city, the developer confirmed today.

The development is planned for 1.5 acres of vacant land on South Main Street south of East Lincoln Avenue. Besides luxury apartments, plans call for first-floor retail space.

Paul Aragona, CEO of Aragona Properties, said construction on the $13.5 million project is expected to be complete by the first quarter of 2015.

The building would be about 73,000 square feet, according to Marty Smith, principal at Southfield-based Siegal/Tuomaala Associates Architects & Planners Inc., the architecture firm on the project.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:56 PM
Registered Ugly

Thanks for the link. I had no idea the boat club burned down 3 times before they built the current building out of 'fireproof' materials in 1902.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:08 PM

I'm not even sure if this developer gets the property, let alone assuming that this is a tear down when even the news source says it's just a guess. I'll withhold my judgement until I hear something more concrete than assumptions by local media.

Anyway, I was searching for something else and came across this article from about a month ago. It's good to see downtown recognizing its neighbor across the river as a recruitment ground for talent:

Quote:
Quicken Loans, city launch job partnership

Dave Hall | The Windsor Star

January 17, 2014

Quicken Loans and the City of Windsor have launched a website listing jobs available at the Detroit-based lender to those living on the Canadian side of the border.

The partnership with Quicken Loans was announced by Mayor Eddie Francis in his annual State of the City address last November.

“Quicken Loans is an industry leader and one of the very best employers in the U.S.,” Francis said in a press release announcing the website. “We’re proud that this partnership will be a bridge between career seekers, a great employer and our city.”

As of Friday, the website, WindsorWork.ca, listed several Quicken Loans information technology positions including iOS developer, telecom engineer, .Net developer, SQL database administrator and Windows systems engineer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:50 PM

Only a matter of time before South Midtown starts getting filled in.

Quote:
Curio shop in Detroit's old Chinatown forced to move out
LOUIS AGUILAR. THE DETROIT NEWS. FEBRUARY 15, 2014

Detroit —On Friday afternoon, the founders of Showcase Collectible in the Cass Corridor received an official 30-day notice to vacate their charming retail space, ending a decades-long run for the business. It’s also the latest chapter in the rapid gentrification of the gritty neighborhood.

Two separate buyers have bought the two buildings on the western corner of Cass Avenue and Peterboro Street. The corner was once the heart of the city’s small, long-gone Chinatown. The building that housed Showcase Collectible, a vintage and curio shop, was bought by someone who vows to return the 8,000-plus-square-foot building to its glory.

“I’m going to renovate it and restore it to the Chinatown era,” said new owner Matt Hessler, a Detroit resident who owns a tattoo shop in Rochester. “I’m really happy to have a business in Detroit.” The first step is opening a tattoo shop in one section of the building, the corner storefront once housing the retailer Mantra.

The other purchased building was the home of Chung’s restaurant. It was bought by Midtown Inc., the influential nonprofit that steers much development in the Midtown area. “We don’t know our plans for it yet,” said Sue Mosey, president of Midtown Inc.

The roots of Detroit’s Chinatown began near Third Avenue and Porter Street in 1872, according to the Detroit Historical Museum. A wave of immigrants led by five Chinese families opened restaurants, grocery stores and a Chinese school between 1910 and the late 1950s. In 1963, Chinatown was forcibly relocated to Cass and Peterboro as part of a city-wide housing demolition project. The neighborhood experienced some success before political and social changes led to its demise in 1987.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2tRAIMXhN

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Only a matter of time before South Midtown starts getting filled in.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2tRAIMXhN
Meh. A tattoo shop is not something that gets me excited...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricOctopus View Post
Meh. A tattoo shop is not something that gets me excited...
It's not so much the type of business, but the signal that the rebuilding of the corridor is finally starting. Or, should I say gentrification, because residents and businesses are being kicked out and bought out left and right to make way for operations bringing in more revenue.

I guess the silver lining is - for anyone ever worried about this process - is that a lot of the property owners, at least, made killings cashing out.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 3:40 PM

In most cases, residents and property owners being kicked out know this is coming and know it will benefit the neighborhood. A lot of people in this area aren't in the best of situations and they know it. The thing that really sucks is the 30-day eviction notices. It's hard for anyone to suddenly have to move out on a moment's notice.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
It's not so much the type of business, but the signal that the rebuilding of the corridor is finally starting. Or, should I say gentrification, because residents and businesses are being kicked out and bought out left and right to make way for operations bringing in more revenue.

I guess the silver lining is - for anyone ever worried about this process - is that a lot of the property owners, at least, made killings cashing out.
Quality over quantity. It would be like getting excited over a building renovation on woodward just to house a wig shop... Sure it's development, but it's not the kind that Detroit desperately needs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:37 PM

There's very little reason for Detroit to be picky over the type of establishments that are opening. If anything, we should be happy it isn't a liquor store. Lord knows we already have enough bars and restaurants to serve the current downtown population.

Quote:
Park Apartments buyer plans $6M in upgrades, will rename building Briggs House Residence
By Kirk Pinho. February 17, 2014.

The buyer of the vacant Park Apartments building on West Adams plans more than $6 million in renovations - and a renewed focus on the building's history in downtown Detroit.

Joe Barbat, who bought the building, between Park Avenue and Clifford Street, in an off-market deal for $3.25 million, told Crain's he plans to rename the building the Briggs House Residence to reflect its history as the former Hotel Briggs.

The building was built in 1937.

The 17-story apartment building, which is 95,000 square feet, consists of 131 studio, one- and two-bedroom units and penthouse suites.

There are 64 studio apartments, 63 one-bedrooms, a pair of two-bedrooms and two penthouse suites. Units range from 400 square feet for a studio to 1,600 square feet for penthouse suites.

Barbat, the CEO and chairman of Southfield-based Wireless Toyz, said he plans to convert the building into 116 Class A units by merging some of the studio units to create more one-bedroom units.

New electrical, HVAC and plumbing systems are planned, as are new common areas, an exercise area, and a laundry room and Internet cafe. In addition, a new rooftop terrace and first-floor dining options are planned, Barbat said.

He said renovations are expected to begin this spring and be complete within a year. Barbat – also the founder of West Bloomfield Township-based Barbat Holdings LLC, a real estate development company – said lease applications should be accepted within six months.

He will be applying for state historic tax credits, among others.

He said this is Barbat Holdings' first residential real estate purchase in the city. The Barbat Holdings website says it manages more than 400,000 square feet of retail, office, medical and residential real estate.

Sources said the seller was Detroit-based P & B Investments Inc. According to the P & B Investments website, the company manages a multifamily real estate portfolio consisting of 17 properties and more than 800 units, the majority of which are in Southeast Michigan and south Florida. The company had owned the Park Apartments for less than two years.

The Detroit office of Colliers International Inc. represented both the buyer and seller.

Last edited by animatedmartian; Feb 18, 2014 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricOctopus View Post
Quality over quantity. It would be like getting excited over a building renovation on woodward just to house a wig shop... Sure it's development, but it's not the kind that Detroit desperately needs.
I know you know the Cass Corridor. Just about anything would be an improvement. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to cry over the loss of a low-rent junk shop for a hipster tattoo parlor, regardless of whether I'd personally be a regular customer at either of those business (for the record - I wouldn't. lol). The article is very clear that the tattoo shop will be paying more rent than the existing building and the building is getting renovated. That is not a wash; this is not a wig shop or a liquor store or a cash advance shop; it's an improvement. Can't see how anyone could complain about what is unambiguous improvement in an area that barely exists as it is. When the area is built up, then it'll be able to attract every-day services.

BTW, I hadn't even known the Park Apartments had been vacated.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
I know you know the Cass Corridor. Just about anything would be an improvement. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to cry over the loss of a low-rent junk shop for a hipster tattoo parlor, regardless of whether I'd personally be a regular customer at either of those business (for the record - I wouldn't. lol). The article is very clear that the tattoo shop will be paying more rent than the existing building and the building is getting renovated. That is not a wash; this is not a wig shop or a liquor store or a cash advance shop; it's an improvement. Can't see how anyone could complain about what is unambiguous improvement in an area that barely exists as it is. When the area is built up, then it'll be able to attract every-day services.

BTW, I hadn't even known the Park Apartments had been vacated.
The renovation is great, but Detroit needs to strive for better quality retailers. Sorry, but a tattoo shop is not doing it for me.

I also never knew the Park apartments closed either.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 3:24 AM

TechTown Warehouse Slated for Lofts, Retail, Rooftop Garden
Wednesday, February 19, 2014, by Paul Beshouri

According to a press release received this morning, Florida-based HD Developments is in the "final stages" of nabbing this lovely warehouse along with a pair of smaller buildings next door. The warehouse, currently occupied by a heating/air conditioning company, would be known as the "Yorke Lofts." The project would include 42 studio and one-bedroom units, with rent ranging between $1,000-$1,200/month. The developer informs us that additional amenities include an exercise room and a rooftop garden.

There's more: Two buildings next door (visible in the rendering) also have a future. Both buildings are lined up for a facelift, replacing their ugly cement facades with brick. The building on the left would continue its role as a parking garage, while four retail spaces would be available in the building to the right. Construction could begin as soon as this spring.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...top-garden.php

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:05 PM

Looks like downtown has finally hit the point-of-no-return on gentrification...

Quote:

'We believed in downtown and want to be part of its comeback,' said 1214 Griswold resident Debra Miller, left. (David Coates / The Detroit News)

Downtown Detroit squeeze forces out longtime tenants

By Louis Aguilar | The Detroit News

February 20, 2014

Detroit —The $100 million-plus renovations for a proposed arts district in downtown’s Capitol Park are underway and so is the displacement of the low-income tenants, many elderly or handicapped, who reside in two buildings.

Their relocation has become fodder in the ongoing debate that the gentrification of downtown and nearby areas is excluding too many current residents and businesses.

Dan Gilbert, founder and chairman of Quicken Loans Inc. and one of the largest private owners of downtown property, acknowledged the growing concerns.

“That is a tough, difficult question. It has to be dealt with in humanitarian way,” Gilbert said in a Wednesday interview.

A group of seniors in 127 units in a notable early 20th-century building must leave in five weeks. Some have chosen to fight relocation.

In another Capitol Park building, 20 residents, mainly young struggling artists, have 30 days to leave their lofts because the city found the facility too dangerous for occupancy.

They are among the dwindling number of downtown residents who pay cheap rent. Now, in some cases, rents have jumped by $3,000 more per year for the same unit, as the area becomes more desirable. Residents in both buildings say they can not afford those prices and will have to leave downtown.

The new owners have assisted the residents. They signed an agreement with the nonprofit Neighborhood Service Organization to help them find new places to live, and pay some relocation costs and possible security deposits.

Across the park from the seniors the 20 mostly young residents of 1215 Griswold were given 30 days to vacate their lofts. They have to leave by March 1. Most are paying $500 a month in rent for 2,300-square-foot spaces in a building with no working elevator and some boarded-up windows. Even a studio apartment in most downtown buildings is more than $500 a month.

Last year, an associate of Gilbert, James Ketai, purchased the building. Earlier this year, the city found numerous violations that made it too dangerous for occupancy and ordered it be vacated immediately. The residents are being given $2,000 for the move and if necessary, a discounted rate at the Greektown Hotel for up to 30 days at the end of the month.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:10 PM

To save on having to maintain their old building on the far west end of downtown, the Freep and Detroit News are moving a few blocks to the old Federal Reserve complex on Fort in the financial district. They will occupy at least part of both the old 1927 building and the Annex, designed by Yamasaki.

Quote:

The original building of the former Federal Reserve at 160 W. Fort in downtown Detroit was built in 1927. The annex was added in 1951. (Detroit Media Partnership)

Detroit News, Free Press may have found new home

By Tony Briscoe | The Detroit News

February 20, 2014

The business agency of Detroit’s two major dailies announced Wednesday night that it is working on a long-term lease to move the newsrooms into the former Federal Reserve Building downtown after a 13-month search.

The Detroit Media Partnership, which manages the business operations of The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press, has “agreed to basic business terms” to relocate five blocks to 160 W. Fort Street, a building owned and under renovation by Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert and his Bedrock Real Estate Services.

Joyce Jenereaux, president of the partnership, said “if all goes as we expect,” the move would take place by the end of September.

If a lease is signed, the newspapers and agency, representing about 500 people, “will be the largest tenant” of the building at the corner of Fort and Shelby streets “with a sign hanging on the exterior.”

The 141-year-old News has occupied its address at 615 W. Lafayette, near the Lodge Freeway, since 1917, when the Albert Kahn-designed facility opened. The Detroit Media Partnership was formed in 1989 and joined The News in its building. In 1998, the Free Press left its old quarters, a few blocks east, and moved into separate space in The News building.

Hopefully, the old News and Freep buildings find new life.

Detroit Free Press

detroit news by southofbloor, on Flickr

Detroit News

Detroit News Building by Reading Tom, on Flickr

Last edited by LMich; Feb 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 6:17 PM

Eastern Market going through its metamorphosis.

Quote:
Eastern Market turns to tax law to make upgrades
By Nathan Skid. February 23, 2014.

Dequindere Cut

Crumbling bridges, parking lots riddled with potholes and vacant buildings — all standing within throwing distance of a thriving commercial district.

Dan Carmody and his team at Eastern Market Corp. want to change all that by creating a cluster of development and capital improvements in the market through the use of a tax increment financing structure that is similar to the TIF districts that fund downtown development authorities.

The market plans to create the state's first Targeted Redevelopment Area, which operates under state brownfield law.

The creation of the TRA is just one part of Eastern Market's strategy to push development in the outer edges of the market and make the area more welcoming to pedestrians and new businesses.

Among the market's first orders of business: more fully inform property owners and merchants about the TRA and its role in the market's long-term vision.

Some business owners don't fully understand the plans and are worried about extra costs or business disruption during construction. Others are worried about maintaining the integrity of a working neighborhood where meat-packing plants, specialty stores and restaurants coexist.

Pushing new development to the outlying areas will allow the core of the market to keep its authenticity as a functioning food hub, said Carmody, Eastern Market president.

"The west side, and heart of the market, will stay focused on businesses that are dirty and loud and make food, which might not make for a great place to live," he said. "Our focus is to ramp up development along Gratiot Avenue and the Dequindre Cut corridor to build more diverse uses around general retail, housing and the creative class."

The plans aren't a done deal.

Eastern Market Corp. is in the midst of finalizing its proposal before sending it to the city's brownfield board for review. It will still need to be submitted to the City Council and then get signoff from the state.

Carmody said Eastern Market Corp. has identified eight vacant properties for development, seven of which are located along the second phase of expansion along the Dequindre Cut.

"We need to have our first major project ready to go because we don't want to start the clock on the TRA too early," he said. "When we get our first major project shovel-ready, we will start the TRA."

Jay Bonahoom, co-owner of Wolverine Packing Co., which takes up about 200,000 square feet of space over five buildings on the east side of the market, said he is happy with the direction of Eastern Market, and the plans for the TRA.

"There is nothing worse than stagnation and the crime that happens when there is no development," he said. "We like to see our real estate in a thriving market."
Redevelopment area.

Meanwhile, out in Southfield...

Quote:
Southfield's Towne Square complex may get 3rd tower
By Kirk Pinho. February 23, 2014.

Now might be the time for the 670,000-square-foot Towne Square office complex in Southfield to get its third building, which would make it one of the largest office complexes in metro Detroit.

Southfield-based Redico LLC -- which manages and owns Towne Square, northeast of Northwestern Highway between Civic Center Drive and Lahser Road -- is considering a 300,000- to 350,000-square-foot build-to-suit tower now that the two existing buildings in the complex have occupancy rates in the mid- to upper 90 percents, said Dale Watchowski, CEO, COO and president of Redico.

"The leasing pace has picked up, and it's largely a reflection of an improving economy. Much of our leasing (at Towne Square) was done recently," he said.

Redico has started marketing space at a third Class A Towne Square tower, which would need a lead tenant lined up before Redico decided to move forward with the building, Watchowski said.

Towne Square is also performing better than much of the 6.1 million-square-foot Southfield Class A office market. The vacancy rate in the fourth quarter last year was 25.5 percent, according to data from the Southfield office of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank. The average asking rent was $20.13 per square foot, according to NGKF.

The first tower, built in 1992, is 470,000 square feet. Its largest tenants are Southfield-based Signature Associates LLC (32,000 square feet), which handles leasing for the buildings; Southfield-based consulting firm Gabriel Roeder Smith & Co. (25,000 square feet); and the Sommers Schwartz PC law firm (25,000 square feet), according to research firm CoStar Group Inc.

The second tower, built in 2002, is 200,000 square feet. Its largest tenants are FirstMerit Bank (38,000 square feet); Southfield-based Telemus Capital Partners LLC (27,500 square feet); and the land development, surveying and engineering firm Atwell LLC (22,000 square feet), according to CoStar.

Terry Croad, director of the Southfield Planning Department, said site plans have not been submitted. Redico would need Planning Commission and City Council approval before it could apply for construction permits, Croad said.

"We could be under construction relatively quick, given that the site was originally planned for this use," Watchowski said. "The construction period would be typically 12 to 18 months."

Last edited by animatedmartian; Feb 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations