HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:03 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
There definitely seems to be retail or commercial space in the renderings.
Yeah? I missed that. I hope so. Retail makes the building part of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It's 5 out of 10 filler, but there's no street level retail. Big mistake.
I have to agree with you on this one Jack... I think that at the very least there should be a corner spot at "Muse" and Broadway; something to break up that long space and dead space under the freeways. Without the "B" to the "point A", why would anyone, even those that live in the building, ever venture in front of this building? Living streets don't just happen, they are designed that way, and unfortunately, bad streets are designed also.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:51 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Anyone else think the 1200 Broadway show in the 930 Broadway pdf may a different development than 1130 Broadway?

I ask because the name difference. Also, the placement of the rendering shows it to be in the area that doesn't include 1130 Broadway. Another thing, is the unit number is different. 1130 Broadway will have 290 units and the 1200 Broadway development has 350.

Just something to think about.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Anyone else think the 1200 Broadway show in the 930 Broadway pdf may a different development than 1130 Broadway?

I ask because the name difference. Also, the placement of the rendering shows it to be in the area that doesn't include 1130 Broadway. Another thing, is the unit number is different. 1130 Broadway will have 290 units and the 1200 Broadway development has 350.

Just something to think about.
I don't think so...

Technically, this building on the right

or the left on this one

is 1200, since it is on the other side of "Muse" (12th) Street; 1200 block of Broadway. There are two lots that were/are owned by George Geis, seen here;

perhaps the initial idea was to include these in the development, giving them an extra 60 units if it was.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:27 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Interesting that Geis still owns land in the area after the whole 1221 Broadway fiasco....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:08 AM

The design team behind 1130 Broadway now lists the development as having 329 units.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:17 PM

I took some photos while out for a morning run last week. Rive North is really starting to fill in now. We have Hotel Pearl, The Cellars, Riverhouse, the Wyndham, the new office building, and Tobin Center all under construction.

By this time next year there will be a lot more activity in the area!

The new Goldman Phipps office building is coming along nicely. I really like the design and the huge rooftop patio/terrace/offices. I hope they put a restaurant or something up there.

While the new Wyndham is a little bland, the two buildings next to each other adds some density and activity to the area.

Riverhouse is moving quickly. Driving along 35 north it looks like they're nearly at level 5 on the northern building.

Looking west along Roy Smith toward the river.

Looking from the opposite direction.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...25521239_n.jpg

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:17 PM

The office building is nice looking. And it does make the Wyndham look more vanilla.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:13 AM

Thanks for posting all the pics.

Not too big a fan of either the Wyndham or the office building, although I do like the scale of the latter. Hopefully the surrounding development will one day add some more density and mix of uses to attract the foot traffic that this area needs.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:24 AM

Great pictures WT.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:51 AM

Get excited!

Click on the image for a larger version.

Reata updated their packet for 930 Broadway.

In the update, they have a map of River North and overlaid it with different developments that are planned/approved/under construction.

Some we know about, some we heard about, others we are now finding out about.

What's listed:
  • 1221 Broadway Phase 3 - 100 units
  • The River House - 261 units (under construction)
  • 1130 Broadway - 300 units (approved/construction to begin after Fiesta)
  • Jones Ave. and Broadway - 300 units
  • Broadway St. & 10TH St. - 100 units (renovation of Iron Mountain building)
  • 930 Broadway - Medical Office
  • 10th St. & Alamo St. - 250 units
  • Avenue B & 9th St. - 370 units (10 stories)
  • Avenue B & 8th St. - 300 units

1,981 total units are in the pipeline for River North.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:41 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Fantastic news. River North is really exploding. Even if only half of those projects make it off the ground, there's still clearly a ton of interest from developers in that area. RN has such fantastic potential as a real urban neighborhood, I can almost taste it. Hopefully improvements to the public property (especially Broadway and Maverick Park) will follow suit.

One interesting thing is that all these projects have a lot of parking attached to them, which is too bad, but I guess that's what you have to do to sell apartments here.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Fantastic news. River North is really exploding. Even if only half of those projects make it off the ground, there's still clearly a ton of interest from developers in that area. RN has such fantastic potential as a real urban neighborhood, I can almost taste it. Hopefully improvements to the public property (especially Broadway and Maverick Park) will follow suit.

One interesting thing is that all these projects have a lot of parking attached to them, which is too bad, but I guess that's what you have to do to sell apartments here.
You have an issue with parking garages being part of the development? Where are people living there supposed to park their car if they have one?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:13 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
You have an issue with parking garages being part of the development? Where are people living there supposed to park their car if they have one?
Well of course they should have some parking, it's basically a constitutional right in Texas. I don't know, I guess in the last year I've become a bit of an anti-car zealot. Speaking as an urbanite and not as a developer who needs to sell units, it just seems to me like a lot of parking for urban apartments. One space per unit max with some spare for retail seems like an ideal ratio, but with these the ratio looks like its between 1.5 and 2 on average. Why walk or bike downtown to Walgreens or the new HEB if you live at Broadway and 9th when you can just drive to Central Market, you know? It's what the people who live at 1800 Broadway and Mosaic appear to be doing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Well of course they should have some parking, it's basically a constitutional right in Texas. I don't know, I guess in the last year I've become a bit of an anti-car zealot. Speaking as an urbanite and not as a developer who needs to sell units, it just seems to me like a lot of parking for urban apartments. One space per unit max with some spare for retail seems like an ideal ratio, but with these the ratio looks like its between 1.5 and 2 on average. Why walk or bike downtown to Walgreens or the new HEB if you live at Broadway and 9th when you can just drive to Central Market, you know? It's what the people who live at 1800 Broadway and Mosaic appear to be doing.
Well, firstly, it's not about selling units, it's a requirement. Second, not every one who lives those developments will have a car, hence why they'd choose to live in a walkable neighborhood. But even people with cars want to live in urban areas because they want to walk and bike places. Having a car allows them.to go to work or go see family or friends who live long distances. To go on vacataion, etc.

Having a car doesn't make you anti-urban or pro sprawl. It just makes you a car owner.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:42 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Well, firstly, it's not about selling units, it's a requirement. Second, not every one who lives those developments will have a car, hence why they'd choose to live in a walkable neighborhood. But even people with cars want to live in urban areas because they want to walk and bike places. Having a car allows them.to go to work or go see family or friends who live long distances. To go on vacataion, etc.

Having a car doesn't make you anti-urban or pro sprawl. It just makes you a car owner.
I'm not saying car ownership is necessarily evil, obviously most people need one even if they aren't using it for all trips, and you're right it's more about city regulations than selling units (though I have a hard time imagining a project that got a variance to have no parking spots selling as well as a project with ample parking). All I'm saying is that we have two completed projects up on Broadway right now that look like they're probably very similar to what these proposals are, and so far it appears to me that residents overwhelmingly choose to drive. I hardly ever see any pedestrians or bikers along Broadway in Midtown except on Saturday mornings for the Pearl farmer's market.

I think an equal part of the problem is that there isn't any "daily" retail in lower Broadway/Midtown/river north to walk to (yet). No drug store, no grocery etc. Everything apart from that really great new bike shop at 1800 is a boutique (all retail at Pearl) or restaurant that's too nice or expensive to go to on a regular basis. At this point I don't even know what I'm complaining about, I just hope as RN fills in we'll see it mature into a real urban neighborhood, which in my mind is a neighborhood where hardly anyone drives regularly. I worry it will end up being like those lifeless "urban" residential areas that ring downtown Houston and Dallas; where the built environment suggests walkability but the empty sidewalks connote car dependence.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:24 PM

I'm with you on this 100%, KeepSALame. Car dependence in this state and country needs to be significantly curbed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

I grew up in San Antonio and went to UT Austin, and after a short stint in LA I lived in New York City for 18 years. For 18 years I didn't have a car... didn't need one, didn't want one. Now I live about 5 miles from downtown Boston. I need a car. I live in an area with a small urban center and I walk there often, and sometimes I take the bus to the subway etc. But otherwise I need a car. I'm very pro-environment and intelligent urban design focused and all that. San Antonio seems to be getting a little better as far as that goes, but I don't think it will ever be a place where you can realistically go any distance without a car. At least in my lifetime. Plus, if those garages are under the apartments it will make the buildings taller.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:03 PM

Typically the garages have not been under most of these new apartment designs. Instead they are either inside or beside, but generally hidden by the apartment buildings. So no height added.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 6:28 PM

The express news finally caught wind of the project...

Quote:
Argyle Residential, a residential developer from Austin, plans to build roughly 300 apartment units in a $40 million, mixed-use development at 1130 Broadway, according to this morning’s Express-News. Called the Rivera, the project comprises four-story wood-framed apartments, a five-story parking garage, and almost 3,000 square feet of retail space, according to Argyle’s website. The property sits on 3.7 acres along Broadway near Jones Avenue.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...nd-apartments/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio