HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:03 PM
recession proof

I was driving on Queen East when it went off - maybe they're planning on doing Amber Alerts again about Covid19? I can live with the nanny state if it saves lives. Normally I keep my phone on silent but I forgot this time oops.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:12 PM
I am the law!

Every app has notifications. I find it easier to put the phone on silent than customize the settings.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I have learned to put my phone on silent mode. No more airstrike alarm for me~
Even better, I don't have a cell phone. The sweet sound of silence.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:52 PM

The irritating thing about it, is that it is my understanding that the system they have already has the capability to do less obtrusive alerts like a lock-screen message, but Canadian regulators decided that a missing child in Timmins ought to be treated with the same urgency as an imminent nuclear calamity.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
There is a nationwide test today. In BC it never gets used, I'd like to see it for COVID restriction updates TBH.

https://twitter.com/EmergencyInfoBC/...51559617404928
I would agree with this, I think a lot of people are simply unaware of the constantly changing restrictions, which are announced during news conferences at 3:00pm when many people are working, and not everyone follows news online. Everyone knows there's a pandemic but they aren't always going to know the exact level of restrictions for today. Especially younger people who are less likely to watch the News Hour at 6 than their parents and grandparents.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:07 AM

had one in BC today too.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:45 AM
Registered Drug User

It scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. It was about 3 am, and it sounded like an alarm for something very, very serious: carbon monoxide overload, mass cyber attack, impending nuclear armageddon. When I finally figured out that it was my fugging cell phone that was going off with klaxons and that it was an alarm for a suspected kidnapping report in Sudbury or wherever it was, I got very angry and said many bad words.

But you can't turn them off on an Android phone. Sigh.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:02 AM

I don't remember any of the alerts being for anything in Northern Ontario.

We get them in Timmins and the Amber alerts will be for Niagara, GTA, Ottawa, Windsor, etc.. Does ALL of Ontario get the same alerts every time there is one in the province?!? Do people in Thunder Bay and Kenora get the same ones? Do they get them in Moosonee and Moose Factory?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
The irritating thing about it, is that it is my understanding that the system they have already has the capability to do less obtrusive alerts like a lock-screen message, but Canadian regulators decided that a missing child in Timmins ought to be treated with the same urgency as an imminent nuclear calamity.
A missing child in Timmins should be more urgent!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:38 AM
recession proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
It scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. It was about 3 am, and it sounded like an alarm for something very, very serious: carbon monoxide overload, mass cyber attack, impending nuclear armageddon. When I finally figured out that it was my fugging cell phone that was going off with klaxons and that it was an alarm for a suspected kidnapping report in Sudbury or wherever it was, I got very angry and said many bad words.

Yes you can: https://www.androidauthority.com/how...ndroid-800435/

Since I have a Razer Phone I googled "how to turn off emergency alerts on razer phone" which led to a PDF owners manual which led to me turning them all off just moments ago.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:45 AM

I usually have my phone on silent, so the overnight alerts don't end up bothering me. One night this summer though, I was listening to a podcast when I went to bed, and I fell asleep with my airpods in. The alarm went off and it was like it went off directly in my brain lol. Scared the shit out of my wife when I jumped, because she didn't hear the alarm, only me lol.

When the test went off today, I was sitting in my easy chair with my laptop, probably reading this site. I heard my phone buzz. Then a minute later, the alarm came over the TV. My son had left the remotes over on the couch, so I thought no big deal it will be done in a minute. Turns out the alarm just keeps repeating, and it says "Press exit" on the screen. So off I go over to find the remote on the couch and look for the non-existent exit button on it, while the stupid alarm keeps repeating in English and then French. Turns out turning the TV off was the best solution.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:04 AM
recession proof

Even weirder, I had just pulled to the side of Queen Street East to let a firetruck by when it went off - was it related? ha. Sad to say the firetruck stopped beside a homeless man who had overdosed. Hope he made it. I rarely wake up by alarm, but today was such a day hence my volume left on freaking loud.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I don't remember any of the alerts being for anything in Northern Ontario.

We get them in Timmins and the Amber alerts will be for Niagara, GTA, Ottawa, Windsor, etc.. Does ALL of Ontario get the same alerts every time there is one in the province?!? Do people in Thunder Bay and Kenora get the same ones? Do they get them in Moosonee and Moose Factory?
When I still lived in Toronto I got an Amber Alert for an abduction in Thunder Bay. A lot of people in Southern Ontario were pissed about that one.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:18 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

A regular text notification broadcast to everyone would suffice for amber alerts, Covid information, and tests. The emergency alert should be reserved for actual emergencies presenting immediate danger - natural disasters, terrorist attacks, that sort of thing.

I dunno about everyone else, but my first instinct when I hear the howl of the emergency alert is to make it stop, not to actually read what it's about. Doesn't really help me find a missing kid or whatever.

Also, can they not just send the alerts in both English and French at the same time? Do they really need to be two separate alerts 5 minutes apart?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:25 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Yes you can: https://www.androidauthority.com/how...ndroid-800435/

Since I have a Razer Phone I googled "how to turn off emergency alerts on razer phone" which led to a PDF owners manual which led to me turning them all off just moments ago.

I've tried this before (and just tried again for good measure), but I don't have the ability to change the emergency alert setting. I've got a Galaxy S10 - I can see the emergency alert location, but the toggle option is greyed out and stuck in the permanently-on position.

Having my phone on silent also doesn't stop it from blaring the alarm.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I feel quite strongly about Amber Alerts but perhaps the system could be more refined to take into account the radius in which the perpetrator could realistically travel since the estimated time of abduction.

GTA to Ottawa is only about five hours so that's easily done in a half a day or overnight.

GTA to Thunder Bay or Kenora, not so much.
And it's exactly what I understood to be esquire's point: if the kid just got abducted in the GTA at 3 am, you don't need to wake up anyone in Ottawa before 7 nor anyone in Thunder Bay before 8-9.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Lol. Reading this thread, this seems to be Ontario's alert system in a nutshell: alarms befitting imminent nuclear armageddon, at 3 am, to inform you of an abducted kid 1,500 kilometers away. Everyone's stories about it match perfectly!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:51 PM

I don't find them THAT common, or THAT obnoxious.

It just means that someone is having a lot worse of a day than me.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And it's exactly what I understood to be esquire's point: if the kid just got abducted in the GTA at 3 am, you don't need to wake up anyone in Ottawa before 7 nor anyone in Thunder Bay before 8-9.
Correct. And that type of tweaking shouldn't be that hard to put in place.

I would think...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
When I still lived in Toronto I got an Amber Alert for an abduction in Thunder Bay. A lot of people in Southern Ontario were pissed about that one.
I got that one too, in the wee hours of the morning. Not sure what I might have been able to do in London Ontario, to thwart the kidnapping.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada