HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 9:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Since May, I’ve been picking up litter daily in my neighbourhood and at the neighbouring park and playground. Amazing the crap that people toss on the ground (or just leave on picnic tables), even when the rubbish tip is just steps away. It felt pretty eccentric the first few times I went out, but it seems normal too me now. The good news - no sharps, plus I found 35 cents!
I think an annoying thing for me is seeing garbage bins in parks overloaded and not emptied out so people leave their things in and around the bin. Annoyed not so much at the people trying to throw their things away responsibly but for the city staff who can't seemingly take the five minutes to switch out garbage bins.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I think an annoying thing for me is seeing garbage bins in parks overloaded and not emptied out so people leave their things in and around the bin. Annoyed not so much at the people trying to throw their things away responsibly but for the city staff who can't seemingly take the five minutes to switch out garbage bins.
Yes, I had to call the City a few times, because the park was much busier than normal, including with picnickers, and the bins were full to overflowing (and attracting raccoons). I imagine that this has been common everywhere this summer, given the increased use of parks.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 11:15 PM

Selfish slime who litter make my blood boil. Fellow Torontonians, remember about 15 years ago, some thoughtless yutz in Kensington Market attacked a woman cyclist who threw his litter back into his SUV? There were some snapshots of the encounter.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 11:15 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Seoul is pretty spotless despite there being next to no public trash cans on the street.

Kingsway in Vancouver can get pretty ugly at times.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 11:24 PM

What always amazes me is the amount of beer cans you find chucked on the side of rural roads.

I worked on a survey crew for a summer in university, and spent a lot of time on rural roadsides. The crap you found was always interesting. Empty beer bottles all over the place, golf balls, dolls, even found a nazi flag once south of Barrie. The beer was the worst for me since it’s a sign of so many people driving while actively drinking. The amount of drivers on the road that are intoxicated would probably surprise a lot of people even today.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Go to some of the not so Downton Abbey parts of the UK and you'll see that crap all over.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 11:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
What always amazes me is the amount of beer cans you find chucked on the side of rural roads.
Yep, I ride the roads outside Stratford on my bike and it's scary how many there are. Though they're most obvious in the spring before the grass grows over them.

Quote:
I worked on a survey crew for a summer in university, and spent a lot of time on rural roadsides. The crap you found was always interesting. Empty beer bottles all over the place, golf balls, dolls, even found a nazi flag once south of Barrie.
I only meant to toss it somewhere in the southern part of Barrie, but I guess I was führer than I thought I was.

Quote:
The beer was the worst for me since it’s a sign of so many people driving while actively drinking. The amount of drivers on the road that are intoxicated would probably surprise a lot of people even today.
The open secret around here is that the country boys come into town in their pickups to get hammered in the bars, and they don't do the designated driver thing. The beer cans on the side of the road are the result of the pre-gaming.

Last edited by rousseau; Nov 17, 2020 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 12:42 AM
Ham-burgher

Cigarette butts flicked from cars piss me off to no end. I suppose it's always been an issue, but when cars still had ash-trays at least some people were using them... if only to dump the contents in a parking lot somewhere.

I'll add dog shit to the list of piss-offs. Perhaps not litter, but definitely belongs in the trash. There are great dog owners who stoop and bag it, but many who do not, especially in winter (because, hey... it's going to be covered in snow and of course vanish into nothingness ). Walking along paths such as those on the mountain brow in Hamilton on a spring day, just after snow melt, is an adventure for the sense of smell and a test of foot reflexes should one veer toward the path edge.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Seoul is pretty spotless despite there being next to no public trash cans on the street.

Kingsway in Vancouver can get pretty ugly at times.
What do people do with their trash?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:00 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What do people do with their trash?
They'll eat/drink at the convenience store, and use the store's trash can or pocket the wrapper/hold the empty coffee cup until they go home or get to work.

You rarely see people snacking while walking in Seoul.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:16 AM
The Vomit Bag.

when I was working at McShitties in the 80s, the owner made us do a lot pickup every hour, which also meant picking up garbage two blocks in either direction of the restaurant. He felt that people seeing McDonald's trash on the ground would be bad for business. I wish Tim Horton's franchisees would have the same good neighborliness.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:03 AM
Starring as himself

For Manitobans, you can't think of litter without remembering the Orbit. "Put Your Trash Into Orbit ... 5 minutes" and then the countdown signs "10...9...8..." made every highway trip in the 1960s and 70s feel like a space voyage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ways-1.5725253

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
For Manitobans, you can't think of litter without remembering the Orbit. "Put Your Trash Into Orbit ... 5 minutes" and then the countdown signs "10...9...8..." made every highway trip in the 1960s and 70s feel like a space voyage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ways-1.5725253
The Orbit bins were great. But some of the stories of what was found in the bin would turn your stomach. Some folks would put road kill in there!

Here in Bahrain the have people sweeping the streets every day, but the amount of garbage laying about is disgusting. No beer cans but lots of plastic water bottles.

As for people in Canada throwing garbage out the windows of their cars. I remember following a car in Regina and at the stop light they dumped a container of chicken bones on the road!!! Can you not wait until you get home or to work and put it in a trash bin? Animals!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:55 AM
Fake News

The most baffling and infuriating litter that I have started to see everywhere is dog shit in plastic bags. It you’re going to go to the effort of picking it up then throw it in the fucking garbage! Not bagging it would be better as at least it would biodegrade instead of being preserved in plastic for all time.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I hate that. From time to time (I live on a circle that is extremely popular with dog walkers, given that there is a woods), people just leave their poop bags at the end of my driveway, or fling them into the woods. Fucking assholes. I caught one guy that flung his poop bag onto my property, and threatened to make him eat it if he didn't take it with him. He did, and I never saw him or his lousy mutt ever again on my circle.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:24 PM

As bad as this littering my seem it is not on the same level what I experienced living on the Carolina's for 3 years. Holy sh$t they will through anything out their car window down there. The main culprit? Beer cans....like a lot of beer cans. Makes me think that the majority of the people are driving drunk down there all the time.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:46 PM
A Better Place

I like winter in Edmonton because the snow hides garbage quite well. However, when the spring melt comes around, a whole new world becomes unveiled from under the snow

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^I hate that. From time to time (I live on a circle that is extremely popular with dog walkers, given that there is a woods), people just leave their poop bags at the end of my driveway, or fling them into the woods. Fucking assholes. I caught one guy that flung his poop bag onto my property, and threatened to make him eat it if he didn't take it with him. He did, and I never saw him or his lousy mutt ever again on my circle.

The mental image of you yelling at him and threatening to make him eat his dog’s shit is amazing!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
As bad as this littering my seem it is not on the same level what I experienced living on the Carolina's for 3 years. Holy sh$t they will through anything out their car window down there. The main culprit? Beer cans....like a lot of beer cans. Makes me think that the majority of the people are driving drunk down there all the time.
A few states don't have laws against drinking while driving.

Quote:
Undoubtedly driving while under the influence is illegal in all states, but oddly enough, not every state has a law that prohibits drinking while driving.

And we’re not just talking about the large Coke you just got from McDonalds. Six states actually have no laws when it comes to an open alcoholic beverage in the vehicle, while others seem to have a ‘grey area’ for passengers. West Virginia, Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi all have lack these state laws, so technically it’s not illegal to drink while you drive.

Alaska and Wyoming on the other hand have laws prohibiting driving with an open container in the vehicle, but having one open while a vehicle is parked apparently is allowed. Tennessee and Virginia are stern about the driver not consuming any alcoholic beverage in the vehicle, but makes no mention about the passengers in the vehicle. And lastly there’s Louisiana, that has a very strange one indeed. Popularly known as the ‘daiquiri exemption’, the state “does not consider a frozen alcoholic beverage to be an open container unless the lid is removed, a straw protrudes, or the contents have been consumed”. Makes sense right? Well if the container doesn’t look like it contains alcohol, like a Starbucks coffee cup, it’s not probable cause for the cops to stop you.

As strange as it all sounds, it’s probably still not a good idea to test the limits of these laws in those states.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...%20you%20drive.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I recall back in the day that in the Yukon you could drink while driving just as long as you weren't drunk. Only place in Canada where that was legal. But it's been changed since.

Friends of mine who work in construction in Montreal say that on Friday afternoon on any of the expressways in the area, probably 90% of pickup truck drivers have an open bottle of beer between their legs.

While that practice is illegal, in recent years Quebec has loosened its laws so that you're now allowed to have an alcohol container with the original seal broken in your vehicle, provided that it's plugged.

The old law was that it had to have its original seal. Which meant that if you went to a restaurant and couldn't finish your bottle or wine, you had to either leave it or chug it. Most people did the latter, which led to more drinking and driving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada