HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Great Canadian Litterbug thread

Yep, a thread dedicated to the asshats of Canada who pitch their garbage by the roadside, or the trailside, or on the beach, etc.

No matter where you go, you will see the calling cards of these assclowns.

In my experience, the top three litter items that one will come across are:

1) On this matter, there is absofuckinglutely no dispute. Number one with a bullet:

Rim Whoreton's

2) Probably comes as no surprise that this empty can of steerpisss is number two (I reckon it is the "beer" of choice for the Triple/triple drinkers):

Buttwisser

3) Any top-3 litter list is bound to include the garbage left from the garbage food at Rotten Ronnie's:

Grimace'sAsshole
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

2) (I reckon it is the "beer" of choice for the Triple/triple drinkers):

Buttwisser
How do you cut calories while maintaining the palette of a five year old?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

I never really used to pay attention to litter that much unless it was egregious - think piles of cigarette butts post-snowmelt, or of course piles of Tim's cups. But now with a puppy just shy of 4 months and able to go on decently sized walks I've become hyper-aware to any form of litter. Because he wants to eat all of it. And let me tell you, there's a lot.

We live on a fairly major but non-commercial street and I can only assume people drop fast food containers and kleenex out of their cars. On the side streets I mostly walk it seems to be food wrappers dropped by school kids. Any house that is undergoing renovation (there seem to be a lot right now) is also a landmine for food related garbage and the dreaded Tim's cup.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:27 PM
I am the law!

Cigarettes butts are still number 1. Comes with the territory with all the information out there.

Single use coffee cups though and the roll of the rim events that have people clamouring for more. I think this was the first year with a virtual roll up the rim app. Just pathetic. It's not all Tim Hortons and other stores responsibility.Canadians love to think they are green especially compared to Americans. The ones I've met are not. They won't make the simplest of lifestyle changes

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Of all the people working in trades, construction workers are absolutely, hands-down, the very worst litterbugs. Always Rim Whoreton's.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:40 PM

You don't really see a lot of beer cans or empty bottle in Toronto as there are always people scavenging for them. I leave mine outside my front door and if they are not gone within an hour I'm surprised.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Rim Whoreton's.
Take a shot every time Molson says this.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:53 PM

disposable masks are coming on strong in the litter power rankings

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
disposable masks are coming on strong in the litter power rankings
Oh yes - lots of masks as well. I have actually noticed fewer disposable masks then earlier during COVID, but I run across cloth masks almost every time I go for a walk now. I imagine most of those simply fall out of people's pockets though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:09 PM
video et taceo

My childhood overlapped with the heyday of littering. I remember friends' dads getting us drive-thru. asking for the bags when we were done, and just rolling down the window and chucking it onto the 401.

Oh the 80s...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:11 PM
video et taceo

My street in Pristina used to be a river but people littered in it to the point that it stopped flowing. Then they just paved over it and built apartment buildings along the side.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

On my street it’s everything but especially broken booze bottles, furniture, and unsolicited junk mail. It’s not all local residents either - working class neighbourhood so every garbage day there are a few suburban Kens and Karens here in their SUVs dropping off bags of shit.

Tim Horton’s is definitely #1.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
My childhood overlapped with the heyday of littering. I remember friends' dads getting us drive-thru. asking for the bags when we were done, and just rolling down the window and chucking it onto the 401.

Oh the 80s...
Even by the 80s people knew it was wrong even if they still did it.

By contrast, this scene from Mad Men set in the early 60s probably wasn't all that unusual for the era... but it made my jaw drop when I first saw it

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

By contrast, this scene from Mad Men set in the early 60s probably wasn't all that unusual for the era... but it made my jaw drop when I first saw it

Video Link
Same here (jaw hitting floor when I first saw this)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Of all the people working in trades, construction workers are absolutely, hands-down, the very worst litterbugs. Always Rim Whoreton's.
What do you do when your truck fills up with fast food garbage, not kick it all out your door?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post

Oh the 80s...
I think there was a reason Ontario removed the "Keep it Beautiful" slogan from the license plates in the '80s.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:31 PM
Closed account

That being said, I do find society much cleaner than in eras past, rose-coloured glasses aside.

Maybe it's the fact that everything doesn't smell of cigarette smoke, or with fewer smokers there's less butts on the ground. Or maybe people are less predisposed to littering than in the past, or paper receipts and plastic shopping bags are going out of style. Or that recycling kind of is a thing.

People do seem some somewhat more fastidious today. I can barely think of the last time I saw someone huck a cup out of a moving car on the highway.

Last edited by wave46; Nov 16, 2020 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:

Video Link
Exact same here! My gf and I had our jaws hit the floor with that scene.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
People do some somewhat more fastidious today. I can barely think of the last time I saw someone huck a cup out of a moving car on the highway.
I'll never forget that one time when my French cousin, while we were over there and driving (I was the passenger), grabbed my empty cup when she saw I was looking for a trash bag in her car, saying "let me take care of this for you", and threw it out. I was like "WTF?" and she explained "don't worry about it, there are people paid to pick up litter by the roadside".

Job creator, she was.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 9:10 PM

Since May, I’ve been picking up litter daily in my neighbourhood and at the neighbouring park and playground. Amazing the crap that people toss on the ground (or just leave on picnic tables), even when the rubbish tip is just steps away. It felt pretty eccentric the first few times I went out, but it seems normal too me now. The good news - no sharps, plus I found 35 cents!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada