HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 9:05 PM

LakeLocker...................comparing London to Detroit's inner city and Vancouver's DTES is categorically farcical. A Holocaust video??

I am not saying that the city doesn't have a homeless, vagrancy, and drug problem which it clearly does but I think part of the issue for London is that you don't "expect" to see it due to London's leafy, old wealth reputation. Victoria is almost the size of London and yet the situation there is much worse which shocks people when they go there because they don't "expect" it due to the city's pristine reputation. This opposed to Vancouver's entire Downtown Eastside, Commercial, Granville, Davie, and Robson Streets where people expect to see it and hence it doesn't even phase them.

As far as the city never urbanising due to this, the stats prove you wrong as the downtown population is soaring. All you have to do is look at all the condo/apt towers that have been completed and are under construction/proposed in the Core to realise that.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:20 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The area's bones are good for sure, particularly the commercial buildings. Selkirk Avenue is the best urban strip in Winnipeg outside of the downtown area, even in spite of the many buildings that have disappeared over the last 30 years. That was about the time when it ceased being a neighbourhood high street with stores, banks, restaurants, etc. and became what it is today.

There has been a small influx of creative types who have been priced out of the Exchange District (lured by cheap studio spaces), but it is too small to have a noticeable impact on the area. Not a whole lot of immigrants either - some refugees, but not many immigrants with some resources available. It's still kind of a place where you go when you have no other choices available.

Incidentally, you picked six excellent representative samples of the North End and Point Douglas... those six views would give anyone a pretty good idea of what the area is like.
It always looks pretty nice up there if you don't look too closely. The city tried to make it a showpiece for the working class back in the early 20th century, building thoroughfares like Burrows Avenue and Inkster as impressive double streets like you'd more typically find in posh areas. It is actually a lot like Buffalo - I was quite blown away by how Winnipeg-like Buffalo is, actually. That really nice part of old Buffalo (Elmwood, I think - same as Winnipeg has) is amazingly similar to Crescentwood or Fort Rouge. I did a few double-takes when I was there a few years back.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
London Ontario's East End is much worst. I lived in Toronto never seen a thing that comes close.

I've lived in both and the only place that have made be in any shape or form nervous, is Shea heights(just because the people that live there tell me to be so).

Dundas is basically a 5 kilometer stretch that fills in as a pysc ward.

It's our main drag and the area that has the best potential for proper urban appeal. It's been overrun by sketch and it is means this city will never urbanize.

Difference is few cities give away the best real estate. Could you imagine if Old Quebec was over run?

People use to say East of Adelaide but the shit show starts at Budweiser Gardens.

When literal holocaust videos are less depressing than walking around down there you now there's a problem.

My brother in Law(ultra tree hugging liberal filth) came to visit last year, someone who enjoys venturing into homeless territories in Vancouver, routinely going there with his bike and half rotten blanket to stay the night. Even he was alarmed by this shit. It isn't that things are so bad, it is that they seem like they are gonna continue to get worst. The downtown has a Detroit isn't so far away vibe, the only place where you can get away from it is the shopping mall/strip mall areas of the northwest and west of the city. Unironically it is why I literally believe that London is the least affected city when it comes to covid.

Most of my inlaws are involved in some way or another with helping the homeless/addicted in Vancouver. They've all been concerned by how London is strangely somehow different. It isn't about a drug issue, crime or anything of the sort. It is the fact that all our best real estate is occupied. I said this on the first day I arrived, it is as if the hobos are unionized. The city spent a ton of money fixing up richmond and dundas and it is the same thing as ever. It's the core of the city, and I still want to off myself virtually every time I go down there.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:14 AM
I am a typical

I've had to deal with 2 break-ins in the past month, there were 2 additional attempts but I wasn't required for those (other volunteers took over). The first one was at work, some power tools were broken. The footage on camera was fun, she just about shit herself when the alarm went off. The second was at our youth centre, someone broke in at 6am on a Sunday to steal a bowl full of granola bars and apples (which we hand out for free during operating hours). They've been back 3 times, we no longer have a screen on the back door and the gate we built is less of a deterrent than originally thought.

My opinion on all of this is unchanged. And I don't fault the cop (I'm assuming a fairly novice one) for promising us he'd get the tools back "within hours", though he never did. Thunder Bay has among the highest if not the highest amount of police per-capita in this country and crime only seems to be going up (the actual stats show modest increases). We can throw thousands of cops at this problem if we want, but the court system doesn't function anymore (and our only courthouse—everything in one building to save money!!—caught fire 10 days ago and is now indefinitely shut down) so it can't handle all the criminals, trails are happening 2 to 5 years after the crimes have been committed, and the addicts that are instigating the bulk of the crime (especially the petty crime but also much of the domestic crime) have unaddressed health issues that, honestly, it's not fair to police that we force them to deal with it.

After that, our solution to so many aspects of the crime problem is just throwing people into jail. But the jails are all overcrowding and understaffed. I know too many people who quit being correctional officers because they tired of having feces and urine hurled at them while they try to work in facilities that are housing 3 to 6 people in 45sqft cells. This isn't fucking working. Anyone who thinks this is working is delusional. Arrest one gangster, two more pop up to replace them. When one junkie dies in the streets, two more people start using hard drugs. The situation is just spiraling out of control. And in the US where they've put policing and prisons into high gear, it's even worse. Largest prisoner population on earth (1% of them are in prison at any one time!!), crime statistics that make the worst of Canada look like a suburban neighbourhood and longer sentences but people there seem to feel less safe than we do.

I can't say that a country that responds to this kind of societal breakdown with "let's hire more cops and give more cops more money to fight crime!" is pro-cop at all. They're not the right people to respond to this crisis. Their skill sets don't match up with a lot of the demands we're placing on them, and the complete lack of reinforcement from any other aspects of society shows what we really think of police in Canada. Not to mention the chronic under-funding of northern police to the point that they're operating our of mould infested shacks and having to shit into buckets because there's not plumbing. Fuck the police? Canada already does.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:28 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sometimes environmental factors can have an effect on the criminal psyche.

For example, a well placed rock through a downtown window and an uninspired footchase with some pilfered goods in October could reward a homeless person with a nice warm bed and three square meals a day in a provincial institution for the winter. The provincial jail in Shediac is only five years old and is quite fetching on the inside I hear...........

I may be joking, but it is not untrue that some people do perform minor petty criminal acts in the fall to get in jail for the wintertime.
Man, don't tell Thunder Bay's criminals about this. They'll flock to Moncton to commit petty crimes.

Here's the situation at Thunder Bay District Jail:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-overcrowding/

Quote:
Last year was a particularly bloody one: Inmate-on-inmate assaults more than doubled from 2018, with an injured inmate being taken to hospital every few days

The facility was often locked down for days at a time because of staffing shortages, Mr. Townsend noted, with inmates confined to cells measuring about six feet by eight, sometimes with three or four men to a cell. Others were held in what’s known as “emergency housing,” including tiny booths with no toilets and no contact with other inmates.

the number of officers posted there remaining largely stagnant, even as the inmate population has swelled

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/resi...6P4IZREAGE.jpg

...“there is 1 doctor, 2 times a week, for commonly more than 190 inmates”; “laundry comes back soiled, if it even comes back at all”; and “staff are commonly overworked.”

In August, 2019, he’d shaded in red pencil crayon 14 days on a calendar, indicating lockdowns. In September, he’d marked 17 days. Ministry records showed even more: 20 partial or full lockdowns in August, 2019, and 23 the following month. “We are locked down following a riot caused by all the lockdowns,” Mr. Townsend wrote, describing the four days from Sept. 8-11.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-overcrowding/
The article goes on.

Is this good for police and correctional officers?

Is this good for inmates?

Does this situation positively affect the mental state of inmates and improve affect their chances of rehabilitation? (Keep in mind this is the jail, not the prison, so most of these are people awaiting trail, they have not been found guilty and sentenced yet)

Is this system providing society's desired outcome with regards to crime and rehabilitation?

Is increasing the number of police and number of prisoners (which has been done on an annual basis for nearly two decades now) working?

And if you said "yes" to any of these, please explain why, because I can't.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:56 AM
recession proof

^Solution: let the criminals loose over the arctic circle in winter.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
LakeLocker...................comparing London to Detroit's inner city and Vancouver's DTES is categorically farcical. A Holocaust video??

I am not saying that the city doesn't have a homeless, vagrancy, and drug problem which it clearly does but I think part of the issue for London is that you don't "expect" to see it due to London's leafy, old wealth reputation. Victoria is almost the size of London and yet the situation there is much worse which shocks people when they go there because they don't "expect" it due to the city's pristine reputation. This opposed to Vancouver's entire Downtown Eastside, Commercial, Granville, Davie, and Robson Streets where people expect to see it and hence it doesn't even phase them.

As far as the city never urbanising due to this, the stats prove you wrong as the downtown population is soaring. All you have to do is look at all the condo/apt towers that have been completed and are under construction/proposed in the Core to realise that.
I actually felt safer in DT Detroit than I did the last time I was in DT London (a Sunday last Fall). Dundas was just shockingly deserted except for all of the vagrants, and it just felt super sketchy and dangerous.
Some parts of the core were very nice though, but the bad parts were quite scary.

Last edited by north 42; Oct 15, 2020 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 1:54 PM
sick transit, gloria

To be fair, downtown Detroit is actually quite nice now. It's had a significant amount of reinvestment and the difference between now (well, pre-COVID) and even a decade ago is almost like night and day. Though even then it wasn't bad compared to other parts of the city. There's also a massive amount of visible private security downtown, which isn't great (and a bit Verhoeven-esque), but the area seemed very safe.

It's some of the surrounding areas that are either dangerous or just bombed out. The latter are apparently not that dangerous simply because nobody is around, but they feel extremely eery.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I actually felt safer in DT Detroit than I did the last time I was in DT London (a Sunday last Fall). Dundas was just shockingly deserted except for all of the vagrants, and it just felt super sketchy and dangerous.
Some parts of the core were very nice though, but the bad parts were quite scary.
Fair enough but you have to remember that last fall all of Dundas was a dead zone because they were still building the Dundas Place "flex street'. Londoners were avoiding the Core due to this much like people are avoiding Eglinton while the Crosstown is under construction.

Certainly parts may seem sketchy but there is a huge difference between sketchy and dangerous. London is a lot of things good and bad but dangerous certainly isn't one of them. London remains one of Canada's safest cities and compared to ANY city west of Sudbury, the place is a practical nirvana.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:45 PM

The vagrants in downtown London can be annoying (I have to deal with them on a daily basis) but they're harmless and not really scary. Half of them are mentally ill and don't even know what planet they're on. Same story in Windsor, Sarnia, Kitchener, Brantford, etc.

Overall, crime in Southwestern Ontario is really low compared to Western Canada. In fact, the towns in Essex County that surround Windsor consistently rank among the top 10 safest municipalities in Canada year after year.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My street is back in the news today.

Quote:

“I heard a lot of yelling and screaming,and swearing. And that’s not out of the ordinary for the street, but the intensity and the length of the shouting match was a little bit out of the ordinary," said one neighbourhood resident.

"Then all of a sudden, it got very quiet. So, it was like, lots of yelling and screaming and swearing for a couple of minutes — quite intense — and then dead quiet. I was like, ‘Woah, that ended quickly.’

"Then a couple of minutes later, (I) saw the lights flashing and there was four police cars, two ambulances, and an unresponsive man in very bad shape on the ground. There was no reviving him, no talking to him. They put him in the ambulance."

A neighbourhood resident told The Telegram it appeared based on evidence markers next to blood droplets on the street that the man came from the top of the street.

"And where he collapsed it really doesn’t look good. ...There’s, like, more than blood there. There’s, like, a piece of scalp, maybe some brain matter, or something. It is not good. ...It made me sick to my stomach seeing it."
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-johns-511811/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:20 PM

^ Sad, but I have to say that the Telegram did a good job gathering accounts from the neighbours. You seldom see that in the Winnipeg papers... it feels like it's really only police that get quoted in those types of crime stories.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:36 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Sad, but I have to say that the Telegram did a good job gathering accounts from the neighbours. You seldom see that in the Winnipeg papers... it feels like it's really only police that get quoted in those types of crime stories.
Same here. Crime happens, but not to people. Probably two thirds of the crime reports on local news here are just republishing police press releases.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:24 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

In the states, cops shoot people. Here, it goes bothways.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:55 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In the states, cops shoot people. Here, it goes bothways.
To be fare, that baby was very menacing to the cop. The cop was scared.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:23 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
To be fare, that baby was very menacing to the cop. The cop was scared.
Are you referring to today’s incident in Kawartha Lakes too?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada