HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:20 PM

CFL 2020 Season

Well I will start the new thread. So main topics heading into the offseason:

Who will own the Alouettes will it be Stephen Bronfman or will it be the Lenkov Bros partnering with Claridge/Boivin group?

Will David Braley finally sell the BC Lions and who will buy them? the Aquilini family who own the Canucks?

QB/Carousel free agency. Where will Arbuckle, Collaros, Nichols, and Masoli all end up this offseason?

Coaching: Does Lapolice get a head coaching gig again, does BC sign Campbell as HC, Does O'Shea stay in Winnipeg? Does Edmonton fire Mass?

Halifax stadium: Do they decide to build a new stadium or is the dream of an Atlantic franchise done like Eaton's and Blockbuster video?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Who will own the Alouettes will it be Stephen Bronfman or will it be the Lenkov Bros partnering with Claridge/Boivin group?

Halifax stadium: Do they decide to build a new stadium or is the dream of an Atlantic franchise done like Eaton's and Blockbuster video?
Just to avoid any confusion, Stephen Bronfman is the Claridge Group.

The Halifax stadium could go either way. The vote to kill it by council, before it was evaluated, seemed to jump start support. Oddly enough, on call in shows the supporters definitely seem to outnumber the naysayers which I find unusual, because usually people who support things don't feel they have to be vocal, and bitchers, well, just wanna bitch.

The vote to kill it prematurely was too close, but even the guy who spearheaded it seemed more open to the 12k stadium approach as did councilors on a call in show I heard. Now whether they are acting openly and positively to the idea in public and then will do the nasty when the bullets start flying I don't know.

I know they are catching flack because this has been floating around a long time (their inability to do this) regardless whether a CFL team is there or not.

Sport Nova Scotia had several stakeholders at Randy Ambrosie's Halifax get together (start at 38:00): Football NS, Rugby NS, Soccer NS, Canadian Sports Centre Atlantic, all had their reps there.

Sport NS said they would be able to program the facility for everyday there wasn't a CFL event or concert.

If this fails again, it isn't a CFL failure, it is a total failure of Halifax and the province to provide for the groups above (yet again).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:50 PM

The main thing about the CFL 2020 season is that the Bombers are the defending

CHAMPS!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:59 PM

And it looked good on them, I could have done with a bit less Andrew Harris BS but it seems having the name Andrew makes you kind of a jerk (for this week at least)

And if I may pat myself on the back, I stayed loyal during the hard times, and the end result didn't surprise me at all.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:00 PM

Collaros has a lot to think about as if he stays in Winnipeg he has a stacked roster, excellent coaches and general manager and a very good o-line and cost of a house and cost of living is much much cheaper in Winnipeg. Go to Toronto you have a terrible team and o-line, zero fan interest in what you do so zero ability to make money outside of football in GTA much higher cost of living. However he would be closer to family in Ohio and his wife is from the GTA and is a teacher in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
And it looked good on them, I could have done with a bit less Andrew Harris BS but it seems having the name Andrew makes you kind of a jerk (for this week at least)

And if I may pat myself on the back, I stayed loyal during the hard times, and the end result didn't surprise me at all.
I hope Johnny Augustine can get more playing time next year he was awesome the 2 games Harris was out and a very well spoken marketable young man for the future and a Canadian.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
I hope Johnny Augustine can get more playing time next year he was awesome the 2 games Harris was out and a very well spoken marketable young man for the future and a Canadian.
Agree, there's a lot of good CIS backs, in the league. I was disappointed that Mercer Timmis pulled the pin, when he got the opportunity he was better than the starter. The Bombers also have Brady Oliveira (another Oak Park'er/UND) as well but I didn't see him in action this year (injury)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Let's not get too carried away Mr. Superfan, Reinebold probably could have won the Grey Cup if he had been given 6 years to pull it off.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hopefully 2020 the Ti-Cats will get the Grey Cup.

It seems like a pattern, lost in 1998 and won the Grey Cup in 1999. Lost in 1985, and won the Grey Cup in 1986. Lost in 1964 and won the Grey Cup in 1965. Lost in 1962 and won the Grey Cup in 1963.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:30 PM

Stamps win in 2020!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Stamps win in 2020!
Ugh please no anything but that I would even prefer the Riders winning a Grey Cup to that. The Stamps continuing to win is actually bad for fan interest in the league as it shows they bring down Grey Cup and playoff ratings in the West as they have been so dominant the past 30 years. They need a few losing seasons just to help build up some fan hunger and interest again.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:23 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I think the west will be incredibly tight in 2020.
Looking forward to see if the Als can continue to build on the success they had this year. And, the Cats will be out for redemption.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Does Edmonton fire Mass?
Well, we now know that the answer to this question is yes.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:53 PM
Community Guy

Will the Esks continue to underperform?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Sport NS said they would be able to program the facility for everyday there wasn't a CFL event or concert.
It's interesting that they haven't tried to plaster this everywhere.

Naturally, I do know the response to this: we don't need a full stadium for these events b/c none of them will need a 20K stadium.

Is the Wanderers Grounds open to Sport NS when the soccer team isn't playing?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Is the Wanderers Grounds open to Sport NS when the soccer team isn't playing?
The Wanderer's Grounds stadium structure, the last I heard, was temporary and would be taken down every year. I imagine Sport NS wants a year round facility, (bubble at new stadium) and using office space and rooms at new stadium although I don't recall that being mentioned anywhere. But it would make sense.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Ugh please no anything but that I would even prefer the Riders winning a Grey Cup to that. The Stamps continuing to win is actually bad for fan interest in the league as it shows they bring down Grey Cup and playoff ratings in the West as they have been so dominant the past 30 years. They need a few losing seasons just to help build up some fan hunger and interest again.
They just had a losing season, well, close enough lol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Will the Esks continue to underperform?

Under Maas.......Yes.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:58 PM

I am thinking Campbell goes home to Edmonton as HC and Lapo gets the job in BC.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:20 PM

Campbell to BC
Elizondo to Edmonton
One of Calgary's assistants will be the HC in Ottawa (Ryan Dinwiddie or Mark Kilam)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada