HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:53 PM

NHL Thread: 2021-2022 Season

I'd say the new season kicks off tomorrow with the draft. Not as exciting this year, but some of these guys are going to turn into superstars. Free agency coming up as well. A chance for teams to turn their fortunes around with a big signing or two.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:57 PM

Flames need a goalie! Smith did well in the playoffs, and Rittich helped get us there, but will that be enough this season.

Also, sounds like Marner rejected an 8 year, $11M AAV contract hoping for something shorter. My guess is he thinks he can get more money in a few years...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:01 PM
Near Generational

Kakko or Hughes?

I'm kinda leaning towards Kakko.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:23 PM

Hughes is considered by almost everybody as the best player in the draft. Kakko is a better fit for the Canucks, but we ain't getting him.

There are a lot of US national team development players in the top 10 and top 20 of this draft, which makes me nervous if the Canucks end up drafting Boldy or another player from that team. Some of these guys have been made to look better than they actually are with this all-star team. Maybe we can trade up somehow and get Byram. Probly not though, so it will be a crap shoot picking 10th and hoping to get a star player.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:35 PM
Khan

Hoping to see a blockbuster trade or two this weekend. Come on, Treliving.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
Hoping to see a blockbuster trade or two this weekend. Come on, Treliving.
Hopefully it involves Brodie!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:42 AM

Edmonton Oilers new Assistant Coach... lol
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:12 PM
Community Guy

I like the passion and tenacity.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:18 AM
Go Chiefs!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:42 AM

Losing more and more interest in my habs. Only so much mediocrity a man can take.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Gonna be a Devils fan now?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 10:47 PM

Still ticked at Chevy for the very poor. return on Trouba, but I am very surprised at the mediocre return for Subban who is still a top-pairing d-man and would still be a #1 on a number of NHL teams. Of course, this will give Nashville cap space to sign Josi and probably bring in another centre like Duchene at $9 - $9.5 million per year.

lol at Dim Jim Benning for his trade yesterday. Sure, Miller is worth a late first given his contract and his likely production (50+ points with more ice time), but the Canucks still have an awful defense and only 4 top-6 proven forwards. That pick is likely to be a lottery pick and it could be a lottery pick the following year as well is the pick is deferred. I guess Jim knows his ass is grass if the Canucks don't make the playoffs yet again so he is making some desperation type moves.

When the Canucks don't make the playoffs next year, he will be gone.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:45 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Hefty, but necessary, price paid by the Leafs to unload the Marleau contract for the upcoming season.

Obviously Marleau also had a hand in this as he had a full NTC and had to be a part of the process to move him out. I hope he gets his wish and can land with a Pacific division team for the upcoming season.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:03 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Gonna be a Devils fan now?
The Devils on paper, if Hall is healthy, look at lot more interesting this week than last week. At least worth watching.

Only 102 more sleeps until the first regular season game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Hefty, but necessary, price paid by the Leafs to unload the Marleau contract for the upcoming season.

Obviously Marleau also had a hand in this as he had a full NTC and had to be a part of the process to move him out. I hope he gets his wish and can land with a Pacific division team for the upcoming season.
The leafs can afford to move a pick to free up space, lots of young talent on the team and in the system.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 6:46 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post

Toronto is approaching PIT/CHI for dealing away 1st rounders. No pick this year or next year and have yet to win a round in the playoffs. Not much to show for mortgaging the teams future.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Toronto is approaching PIT/CHI for dealing away 1st rounders. No pick this year or next year and have yet to win a round in the playoffs. Not much to show for mortgaging the teams future.
Draft Schmaft

Yea, I'm not huge on dumping 1st rounders - but if you can't keep the current talent you have in order to make the playoffs and try to get out of the first round - then those 1st rounders aren't going to help you anyway unless they're very high picks that will land you a Jack Hughes type player.

The Leafs still have some good talent on the farm, and plus their picks are low 1st rounders anyway. They could just as easily draft/develop someone in the later rounds who will turn out great.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are much older teams - so they're more in need of draft picks to rebuild.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Still ticked at Chevy for the very poor. return on Trouba, but I am very surprised at the mediocre return for Subban who is still a top-pairing d-man and would still be a #1 on a number of NHL teams. Of course, this will give Nashville cap space to sign Josi and probably bring in another centre like Duchene at $9 - $9.5 million per year.

lol at Dim Jim Benning for his trade yesterday. Sure, Miller is worth a late first given his contract and his likely production (50+ points with more ice time), but the Canucks still have an awful defense and only 4 top-6 proven forwards. That pick is likely to be a lottery pick and it could be a lottery pick the following year as well is the pick is deferred. I guess Jim knows his ass is grass if the Canucks don't make the playoffs yet again so he is making some desperation type moves.

When the Canucks don't make the playoffs next year, he will be gone.
There should be more offensive production from the Canucks this year with the addition of Miller and Hughes, who will be an impact player immediately. Plus Pettersson and Boeser will likely have improved. Pettersson will likely be a top 5 scorer. That should boost the Canucks into play-off contention. If not this year then certainly next year. If we sign Tyler Myers or similar, the Canucks D doesn't look half bad with Edler re-signed and Hughes coming in.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
There should be more offensive production from the Canucks this year with the addition of Miller and Hughes, who will be an impact player immediately. Plus Pettersson and Boeser will likely have improved. Pettersson will likely be a top 5 scorer. That should boost the Canucks into play-off contention. If not this year then certainly next year. If we sign Tyler Myers or similar, the Canucks D doesn't look half bad with Edler re-signed and Hughes coming in.
It depends what you mean by impact player in Hughes. Personally, I don't think it will be enough. If the Canucks miss the playoffs, Jim is gone.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:08 PM

Hearing Myers may sign for $7.5 million or more per year! Do it Jim. It will make for some great lols.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada