HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
A few uglies from around here...

The real hideous rural chain here, though, is Riffs. It's a knockoff of Pipers. Which is a knockoff of... I don't know. Large gas stations?

This is one of the best-looking ones:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:21 AM
Fake News

Because the UCP isn’t already awful enough they are now ruining an amazing renovation of the Federal Building in Edmonton by getting rid of a living green wall as a cost cutting measure even though they will have to completely redesign the HVAC system because the plants helped filter and cool the air. Tragic and emblematic of the horseshit that is Jason Kenney. The installation will be replaced with some of the Province’s art collection which likely means cowboys and indians. Our provincial government is basically the lady who painted Potato Jesus over the original fresco.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7473835/f...-wall-alberta/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Travesty

Jesus looks like some stinky fishmonger
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:35 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Travesty

Lol! I think Kenney is actually a potato jesus of Ralph Klein.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:45 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

Travesty

But you are vastly underestimating the cultural importance of folk art!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Lol! I think Kenney is actually a potato jesus of Ralph Klein.
That's giving Kenney way too much credit. He is much lower than a potato.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Nov 22, 2020 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 4:06 PM
Fake News

Quote:
That's giving Kenney way to much credit. He is much lower than a potato.
True. He’s more of a road apple.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 6:20 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Speaking of Fort McMurray, is this a garage for sale? I don't see any house at all.

https://www.findfortmcmurrayhomes.co...y-ab-t9k%202n7
I would dare say that in most new or newer communities, this is what people want - they want to be able to drive into their home, shut the garage door and not interact with other people. I don't like it and thus the reason we've been in our mid-50's bungalow with a rear drive garage for over 24 years now - of the 30 or so homes on our block, only 2 have front drive garages, everything else is lane garages. The homes have character and aren't soul sucking presentations of bland garage doors to the street and public sidewalks.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
I would dare say that in most new or newer communities, this is what people want - they want to be able to drive into their home, shut the garage door and not interact with other people. I don't like it and thus the reason we've been in our mid-50's bungalow with a rear drive garage for over 24 years now - of the 30 or so homes on our block, only 2 have front drive garages, everything else is lane garages. The homes have character and aren't soul sucking presentations of bland garage doors to the street and public sidewalks.
Our society's choices are reflected back to us through the fun-house mirror of consumer products we choose.

It's more fun to see houses and what they prioritize because they endure. Vehicles are much more transient. As is clothing style.

Modern homes symbolize our priorities. You can editorialize that how you want.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:45 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Our society's choices are reflected back to us through the fun-house mirror of consumer products we choose.

It's more fun to see houses and what they prioritize because they endure. Vehicles are much more transient. As is clothing style.

Modern homes symbolize our priorities. You can editorialize that how you want.
So, is yours a home with a front drive garage?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:
So, is yours a home with a front drive garage?
Nope.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:51 PM

Here's a house in London that is not ugly to me but rather a curiosity. I can't tell if that's some kind of vinyl siding or corrugated steel or something on the side.

It's a few years old so presumably the driveway has been done since. And here's a before pic.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hmmmm

An ugly house, in London, with a pick-up truck in the driveway. I await Molson's verdict!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:56 PM

That is one hell of a narrow house... like trailer width maybe?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Hmmmm

An ugly house, in London, with a pick-up truck in the driveway. I await Molson's verdict!
Aside from the brick at the front it looks like most of the infill houses built in central areas of Ottawa in the last 10 + years. Parking often not part of the development.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 12:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Hmmmm

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 1:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I am not so sure of the anti-social aspect - at least not up front, nor for most people.

People buy what's on offer where they live based on the criteria they have (space, location, price) and often make compromises on aesthetics.

Ultimately they may become more anti-social over time due to where they live, but I doubt that's an initial factor for most people.

Exurbia outside of major cities is by far a more deliberate anti-social, isolationist residential location choice in my experience.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:33 PM

Milton and garages..what a combo

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/so...parking-scarce

Molson will love this article.it combines his favourite place and parking and garages.

Just kicking the can down the road as far as I'm concerned.

Reddit has some interesting comments on this article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/com...gues_toosmall/

Lesson in all of this. Buy a car that fits your garage and/or parking space and then don't buy a bigger car that won't fit in the garage and don't fill your garage full of junk.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:56 PM

It says something about how privileged some people are that when they face the problem of how they can possibly park their three over-sized vehicles at home, they don't consider the possibility of divesting one, or buying smaller vehicles, but instead make it a problem for their municipality to address. This is definitely a case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How in the fuck does the average family afford so many cars/trucks?

This is happening everywhere, everyday:

Quote:
“When you need a suite of high-definition cameras and other expensive sensors to safely drive to the grocery store, there might be something inherently wrong with your design,” says Hawkins. The answer to these behemoths being dangerous on our urban roads is not slapping a band-aid on it; the increased bumper and hood heights of many of these SUVs and pickups mean far deadlier consequences for pedestrians and cyclists.
https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/l...e-just-too-big

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada