HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:15 PM
ハルウララ

Stadiums & Arenas of Canada, Part 3

Continued from the previous thread as it hit its maximum posts/pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It says 20-25 cities in the bid, with 12 of those cities chosen to host. I can't see Canada and Mexico getting more than three each. Maybe even 2.
The fact that Mexico went in with only three sites means that, I assume, Canada is likely getting three as well. I can't imagine having more sites for the sake of spreading things around. Being compliant for FIFA events (especially the WC) is exhaustive to say the least...the general, non-event specific stadium guidebook is 400+ pages long. Guidebooks for particular events are between 100 & 200 pages. It would save CSA a lot of headaches and groundwork if they only have to focus on three stadiums instead of four or five.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Canada co-hosting means that we don't get the side benefits of a full bid, which is largely infrastructure improvements. A full Canada bid would require Edmonton to build a rail link to the airport, a transformation of the Big O. A full bid would force Toronto to look at the opportunity to do something with the Gardiner. Plus lately, many smaller soccer facilities to be constructed as base camps would spring up all over the country to help in incubating Canadian soccer.
The entire point of opening up the World Cup to multi-country bids is to bring costs down. Bringing costs down means that the WC in the future avoids further issues of only having specific countries (see: Qatar, Russia, China) bidding to host. The previous costs associated with hosting were a disincentive to many countries seeking to host, Canada included. I can't imagine this current government would have committed to very much stadium funding and as it stands Canada doesn't have a dozen stadiums on its own to offer for hosting.

Quote:
CSA was slowly building up towards a WC bid with all the steps prior, new facilities (that would be good enough for a full Canada wide bid) were coming on line, a Canadian soccer league is being planted an started up, all points were going towards a shot at a successful bid but now this won't be a reality for quite some time.
Canada is still hosting some WC matches which is better than what we would have gotten anyway. I find it highly unlikely that Canada would have won a bid of its own going up against US or Mexico. We'll have to wait for another cycle to even contemplate it again, by that time the CPL should hopefully be in full stride with more options for stadiums to choose from.

The priority for Canadian soccer should continue to be its own domestic league which is still slated to begin as early as next year. That has a bigger impact IMO.

Quote:
It is just annoying that Canada could not go at this alone as it was intended. FIFA and its follies are to blame, and they should have just moved to the USA alone if FIFA wanted some place "Safe". Only FIFA is to blame with the silly expansion in teams that even the USA got cold feet.
FIFA's move towards the United Bid is them playing nice with CONCACAF and shows a willingness to play along with outside partners and associations. They desperately need to save face after Russia/Qatar and this is the best way to do so. Although the costs associated are often conflated with Olympic hosts the costs previously were still too high, along with the issues revolving around bribing and allocations.

Quote:
So then the question that must be asked then is what does FIFA do going forward? How many countries can host the WC at that scale? Not every region can do co-hosting. FIFA seems to be setting up a big trap here for the long term viability of the WC tournament.
2026: North America
2030: Uruguay/Argentina
2034: France or Germany or England

That's the way it sets up right now, anyway, and that's what the rumours are currently pointing to. EURO 2020 is being held in 13 different cities in 13 different countries and this UEFA experiment will almost certainly be watched with keen interest by those at FIFA. The WC would, of course, never result in something so bizarre on a larger scale, but the idea of host-sharing isn't new anyway; Japan & South Korea co-hosted 15 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:59 PM

From rodpederson.com

... and good riddence! lol

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
From rodpederson.com

... and good riddence! lol
Many a sad heart in Saskatchewan to see the old girl being torn down. New stadium is awesome, but Taylor Field had that prairie class.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:20 AM

When the upper decks and expansions were done to Winnipeg Stadium and Taylor Field in the 1970's were they designed by the same architect as the deck designs are extremely similar?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:27 AM

Oh I just found this little nugget on the history of Winnipeg Stadium:
http://westenddumplings.blogspot.ca/...-turns-58.html

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
When the upper decks and expansions were done to Winnipeg Stadium and Taylor Field in the 1970's were they designed by the same architect as the deck designs are extremely similar?
Now that you mention it, they were uncannily similar.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:38 AM
BANNED

Won't lie, it's a bit emotional seeing it being ripped apart. Spent a good chunk of my 44 years there.

http://www.cjme.com/2017/08/23/fans-...?sc_ref=direct

But then I see this & im ok again.

Pic by moi

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Oh I just found this little nugget on the history of Winnipeg Stadium:
http://westenddumplings.blogspot.ca/...-turns-58.html
Loved reading that - thx for sharing! Maybe there should be a thread on old Canadian stadiums, kind of like the skylines from the past thread?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:05 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Loved reading that - thx for sharing! Maybe there should be a thread on old Canadian stadiums, kind of like the skylines from the past thread?
Well that would just be McMahon, no?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:52 PM
Community Guy

That new Mosaic is so fantastic

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Well that would just be McMahon, no?
think he means ones that have been demolished/ closed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
think he means ones that have been demolished/ closed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:39 PM

I was thinking of old pics or stories like the one about Winnipeg Stadium and this one (courtesy Ab Prov archives):

https://twitter.com/provarchivesab/s...80751394177024

Except for the cars and a few houses it looks like it was built on the friggin moon. And you can see just how basic it really is - just some lame high school stands thrown up. I guess it was pretty nice back in the day but all they did over the years was expand it slightly. They really didn't make any actual improvements to it.

Still a pretty cool pic though (imo)....

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:44 PM

The bones or structure of McMahon are excellent for CFL. It has great sight lines, excellent capacity limit for CFL and room for temp stands when hosting a Grey Cup. It does need a massive reno though for new seats, new and improved concourses and washrooms. New and improved Luxury Boxes and Press Box area.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
The bones or structure of McMahon are excellent for CFL. It has great sight lines, excellent capacity limit for CFL and room for temp stands when hosting a Grey Cup. It does need a massive reno though for new seats, new and improved concourses and washrooms. New and improved Luxury Boxes and Press Box area.
Sorry but you're wrong. There's no way you can upgrade it to get anywhere close to New Mosaic or IGF which are the new standard and what you need to draw new fans who are the lifeblood of the league.

The temp stands that they've put up for Grey Cups in the past were brutal - way out in the parking lot.

And as far as sight lines go - is there a CFL team that has bad sight lines?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:25 PM

^ The last bad sightlines in the CFL were eliminated when the Argos left Skydome and its low-raked 100 level.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:58 PM

I guess those new stands they put in at old mosaic back in 2013 are already spoken for? I was thinking those 5-6000 seats would be ideal for a soccer stadium in Regina or Saskatoon when the CSL starts up in the next year or so. Minimal cost given they were already paid for by the Riders so I imagine the only expense would be transporting them and rebuilding them.

Since we are talking about old stadiums here is a video of Osborne Stadium in Winnipeg - home of the Bombers and many other teams up until 1953.

https://vimeo.com/43772530

10 yard end zones!? 100 yard field?! And no 55-yard line?! Boy those Winnipeggers were quite the NFL wannabees back in the day.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The last bad sightlines in the CFL were eliminated when the Argos left Skydome and its low-raked 100 level.
A running track in Edmonton can't be conducive to good sight lines.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:28 PM
Hmm....

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I guess those new stands they put in at old mosaic back in 2013 are already spoken for? I was thinking those 5-6000 seats would be ideal for a soccer stadium in Regina or Saskatoon when the CSL starts up in the next year or so. Minimal cost given they were already paid for by the Riders so I imagine the only expense would be transporting them and rebuilding them.
Yes, the recipients were determined a little while ago, see this link for the list and number of seats each got.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
A running track in Edmonton can't be conducive to good sight lines.
The track doesn't impede the sight lines at all. Last I check a running track was at surface level outside the field, nothing to block your view....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada