HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Kludged together hospitals are always a nightmare to navigate. I'm not sure how old HSC is in St. John's, but there definitely was an era where there wasn't much foresight into 'we will need expansion'. Thus, random additions.
I'm sure MonctonRad can comment on Moncton Hospital (English health authority) vs Saint John or even George Dumont (French health authority) in that regard. Moncton Hospital is one that has been modified/added onto many many times since it was built. It gets very confusing, especially when you don't have a window to give you a reference point.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Seems like a steal considering that the White Spot on West Georgia went for a quarter-billion a couple of years ago...
That was the deal of the decade for the property owner and just bizarrely ambitious for the buyer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:26 PM

Some movement on the proposed new hospital for Gatineau.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/s...7d6549be20ad64

The article is in French, so to sum it up, during the election campaign in 2018, the CAQ promised a new 170 bed hospital for Gatineau within 5 years.

Over the last two years, they've been studying different options, including an expansion of an existing hospital, which seemed to be the most likely scenario. Around the spring, the Minister responsible for the Outaouais, Mathieu Lacombe, enthusiastically said a big announcement was coming soon, but we didn't hear anything until late summer, when they said it likely be closer to 10 years.

So here we are now. This new 600 bed hospital, bigger than any single hospital campus in Ottawa, bed wise (General-569, Civic-549), but smaller than the planned new Civic (800-900). It will come with a major reorganization of the Outaouais' medical system. The existing Hull and Gatineau hospitals each have 200 beds, while the Buckingham hospital has 66 beds and the Outaouais has a total of 800. The region will have a net gain of 240 beds, 40% more than what was initially promised. According to a government source, 300 beds will "change vocation", meaning no shut-downs of any existing institution.

The government has not figured out the services that will be offered in the new hospital at this time, but it will be a teaching hospital and will include 32 labour/delivery/recuperation/post-partem beds.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I had forgotten this thread existed.

They have started construction on a new wing at the Moncton Hospital, which will contain a new maternal/newborn unit.

Specifically, the expansion will include:
- a new maternity ward.
- birthing units
- an OR for emergency C-sections
- newborn nursery
- neonatal intensive care unit (NNICU)
- an outpatient clinic area for maternal, perinatal and postnatal wellness checks.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:55 PM

Not too many exciting capital projects going on these days at Winnipeg's hospitals, but this one did open up not too long ago... it's the new Women's Hospital, which is part of the sprawling Health Sciences Centre complex. It's a huge L-shaped beast of a building which took nearly a decade to build from groundbreaking to ribbon cutting.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

St. Paul's is the most interesting in that is on the downtown peninsula and serves the core or Vancouver and has outgrown its building. The solution is a completely new hospital campus located downtown but this time next to the Pacific Central Station.

Here is the video of what is planned:

Video Link

The website for the project: http://thenewstpauls.ca/
Thanks for the video and the hospital looks great.

I can however see one big problem. For those of you who are unaware, the 2 elevated but separate lanes you see in the photo are the Georgia Viaduct. The viaduct offers a short little bypass to downtown by not having to take Pender {thru Chinatown}, Granville {thru skid-row}, and thru slow moving Gastown.

The problem?...........Vancouver is intent on tearing down the viaducts. It will be interesting to see how this will playout. The city will tear down the viaducts because they want some more green space and a lot more condos in the area and it has the stigma of being the only part of the once cancelled Chinatown Expressway to get built and Vancouver doesn't "do" expressways.

With the viaducts gone, getting the tens of thousands in the West End to the new St.Pauls in an emergency is going to be VERY time consuming and potentially deadly.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 4:07 AM
recession proof

Why would you build a new hospital in an earthquake danger zone?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:05 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Why would you build a new hospital in an earthquake danger zone?
... I don't understand the question. Because it's in a major, growing city that requires advanced medical facilities. Does that not go without saying?

One million square foot Calgary Cancer Centre, part of Foothills Medical Centre. I need to re-check the numbers as it's been a few years, but with the CCC, I believe Foothills will be the biggest hospital in the country. Might be wrong though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEKArKyp45x/

Alex_YYC on SRC

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
One million square foot Calgary Cancer Centre, part of Foothills Medical Centre. I need to re-check the numbers as it's been a few years, but with the CCC, I believe Foothills will be the biggest hospital in the country. Might be wrong though.
I think there are a number of different measures of hospital size, so it's hard to clearly rank them, but the most common ranking seems to be number of beds. By that measure, Sunnybrook in Toronto and CHUM in Montreal seem to be the largest at 1200+ beds and Foothills and Vancouver General are close behind at around 1100+ beds. It may be that with this expansion Foothills will bump up further.

With that said, number of beds is actually not a very clear metric as it's not something that is transparently reported on a regular basis by most hospitals.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
... I don't understand the question. Because it's in a major, growing city that requires advanced medical facilities. Does that not go without saying?
That particular plot of land where the new St-Paul will be built is more susceptible to earthquakes/floods than other parts of the downtown area because it's on reclaimed land.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/st-p...e-liquefaction

Similarly in Ottawa, they chose a site on top of a major fault line to build the new Civic, which will require additional measures to protect the structure, equipment and occupants.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-arent-worried

In both cases, with proper engineering and construction, the new hospitals will probably be safer than their century old predecessors.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Ohhh right because it's in the area that was filled in from the old False Creek Tidal Flats. Sorry UrbanDreamer!

And yeah Jamincan that's a much better vision of hospital size than square footage. Thanks for the info!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:20 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Ohhh right because it's in the area that was filled in from the old False Creek Tidal Flats. Sorry UrbanDreamer!
Just to clearly show this ... the hospital is being built about a hundred meters to the left of this picture:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
And when False Creek was right up to the station during construction:

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/f...r-construction

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah I understand, my initial response was thinking that he just meant Vancouver in general. Like I mentioned I know that area was originally the tidal flats of False Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I think there are a number of different measures of hospital size, so it's hard to clearly rank them, but the most common ranking seems to be number of beds. By that measure, Sunnybrook in Toronto and CHUM in Montreal seem to be the largest at 1200+ beds and Foothills and Vancouver General are close behind at around 1100+ beds. It may be that with this expansion Foothills will bump up further.
With the Cancer Centre, Foothills will have ~1300 beds. That doesn't include the 133 beds at the neighbouring Alberta Children's Hospital.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 7:47 PM

They can make the new St. Paul's safely, there is a lot of experience now globally about building safer structures with this soil type in mind. The ground type is hardly a reason to keep it on the peninsula.

As for access, there is still Pacific Blvd., and the new roads they are making to replace the viaducts. And right now you would likely take Pacific to get there anyways from downtown south and a lot of the West End. Georgia through downtown is normally gridlocked, so won't make much of difference if the viaducts are there or not.

Also, people still have this idea that St. Pauls gets all of it's urgent visits from the immediate vicinity, and that's not the case. There are not 10s of thousands of people from the downtown core who need to be at the hospital in 1 min or less or else they will die. If they are that critical, they will get an advanced life support ambulance from anywhere downtown, put on the sirens, and take them to the new location on any of the other road options, just like how people get to the hospital all over the City. It's not far-fetched!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 10:44 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Yeah I understand, my initial response was thinking that he just meant Vancouver in general. Like I mentioned I know that area was originally the tidal flats of False Creek.

With the Cancer Centre, Foothills will have ~1300 beds. That doesn't include the 133 beds at the neighbouring Alberta Children's Hospital.
Beds are pretty passé in ranking hospitals as the focus today is so much more on outpatients than on extended stays. Many hospitals have substantially fewer beds than they once did, despite having grown as institutions. Foothills might well be the biggest hospital in any case, though.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:42 AM
I am the law!

I don't recall ever seeing cancer hospitals ranked by number of beds. It's interesting Calgary will have the largest cancer research hospital building in Canada when this is completed. It doesn't mean much though. To eclipse Princess Margaret's global fundraising would be a monumental endeavour on opening day.

Increasing outpatient services is a cost cutting venture. Quite a few patients would be a lot happier with a bed available at a hospital than a respite home

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:06 AM
recession proof

More importantly, why are all our new hospitals so ugly?!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 5:55 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
More importantly, why are all our new hospitals so ugly?!
That Winnipeg addition looks pretty nice

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 2:32 PM

A few short videos on the general vision for the new Civic Hospital campus in Ottawa.

Construction scheduled to start in 2024 with a 2027 opening.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 7:05 PM

^ Ottawa hospital looks like a great project, I'm glad they're keeping some of the green space with the hospital development.

Regina's General Hospital is one of the largest hospitals in Saskatchewan, with almost 500 beds included in it's various extensions and added wings.

It's sort of impossible to show hospital complex in one pic, except from above.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...ital-1.1572264

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada