HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:24 AM

I grew up watching OUAA men's basketball on CHCH. I don't think I knew a single other person who did - maybe my high school basketball coach. I dunno, I thought it was pretty good and I'm sure if they 'sexed it up' a little, it might sell...maybe. Watching it in person is definitely a thing. Definitely...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 12:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I grew up watching OUAA men's basketball on CHCH. I don't think I knew a single other person who did - maybe my high school basketball coach. I dunno, I thought it was pretty good and I'm sure if they 'sexed it up' a little, it might sell...maybe. Watching it in person is definitely a thing. Definitely...
I did too though I was never a big basketball fan but watched all sports to some degree.

I remember there was a university in southern Ontario where the fans would stand and clap from the start of the game until their team got their first basket.

Which one? Not sure. Waterloo maybe?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Huh. Go figure. The Raptors can't even outdraw curling! That's actually cool, though, curling being an indigenous Canadian sport. I mean, I could never watch it myself, but I'm actually happy to see something homegrown doing so comparatively well.
Curling is another example of the media telling us what they think we should watch instead of what Canadians actually want to watch.

NCAA March Madness gets exponentially more national media coverage from CANADIAN sports media, and yet…

The final of the Brier consistently gets well over 1 million TV viewers.

The NCAA men's basketball final is in the 300-400,000 range.

After a while, the media's efforts start to have an effect, and the ratings may in fact start to fall into line with what they are force-feeding Canadians as what is truly deserving of their attention. NCAA Final Four games may well outdraw the Brier or at least rival it for viewers at some point the future.

I mean, we've seen that in other sports already, haven't we?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I remember there was a university in southern Ontario where the fans would stand and clap from the start of the game until their team got their first basket.
That's a thing with the Moncton Miracles of the NBL too. Sometimes you end up standing a looong time, and your hands get sore from all the clapping........

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Remember this from two years ago: "in an exhibition game last August, the Carleton Ravens lost in overtime to the now number one ranked US college team Syracuse (who ironically have a Canadian youth NT freshman starting for them). In that same tournament the Ravens beat perennial MM team Wisconsin

That was the same Wisconsin team that lost by one point in the MM semi final. And for our folks still living the myth both NCAA teams played their best players.
What's telling about the article on the Ravens is the reporter asks if they should join the NCAA!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
What's telling about the article on the Ravens is the reporter asks if they should join the NCAA!
Frig that!! It pisses me off to no end that Simon Fraser plays NCAA football rather than in the CIS. We don't need that crap in basketball too!!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Curling is another example of the media telling us what they think we should watch instead of what Canadians actually want to watch.

NCAA March Madness gets exponentially more national media coverage from CANADIAN sports media, and yet…

The final of the Brier consistently gets well over 1 million TV viewers.

The NCAA men's basketball final is in the 300-400,000 range.

After a while, the media's efforts start to have an effect, and the ratings may in fact start to fall into line with what they are force-feeding Canadians as what is truly deserving of their attention. NCAA Final Four games may well outdraw the Brier or at least rival it for viewers at some point the future.

I mean, we've seen that in other sports already, haven't we?
Thats because the Brier and Scotties are watched by old white people and the tall foreheads in Toronto (home of TSN, Sportsnet, CTV and CBC) have decided that the Canadians that count (25 - 35 year olds) are more interested in NBA or NCAA than they are in CIS. Although the Vanier received very good numbers you had to be a mind reader to find it on the TV!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:54 PM

It's unfortunate this thread took the turn it did into Toronto bashing. Instead of just a celebration of basketball in Canada. But I suppose hosting the All Star game did stick in a few posters craws and thus another thread on the brink.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
It's unfortunate this thread took the turn it did into Toronto bashing. Instead of just a celebration of basketball in Canada. But I suppose hosting the All Star game did stick in a few posters craws and thus another thread on the brink.
Well, I for one didn't bash Toronto. Yes, the national anglophone sports media are all based there but I suppose that the people involved aren't all or even mostly native Torontonians as people who want to work in the field from all over the country all converge there.

As for the NBA ASG I honestly have not given it much thought. The idea that I am jealous is laughable as I can't even name three curent NBA players.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
BTW not sure if you are making a link between the two but the Toronto NBA ASG has surprisingly little to do with celebrating basketball in Canada. Even if it is a cool event.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I for one didn't bash Toronto. Yes, the national anglophone sports media are all based there but I suppose that the people involved aren't all or even mostly native Torontonians as people who want to work in the field from all over the country all converge there.

As for the NBA ASG I honestly have not given it much thought. The idea that I am jealous is laughable as I can't even name three curent NBA players.
To be honest I wasn't even thinking about you when I wrote that so chill, although strangely like a mouse to cheese you really didn't pop up until the bashing started.

On a subject you have zero interest in about 1/3 of the post in the thread are now yours.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:07 PM

Quote:
BTW not sure if you are making a link between the two but the Toronto NBA ASG has surprisingly little to do with celebrating basketball in Canada. Even if it is a cool event.
Well it kinda does. Last time I checked Toronto was in Canada. The Raptors which rep the city are located in Toronto. etc.

Here's the deal, if curling (or CFL football) get way higher ratings than Basketball in this country then neither is suffering from a lack of media coverage.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Really, are you that thinned skinned?
Fact: Media Centre of Canada is Toronto
Fact: Sports Media Centre of Canada is Toronto
Fact: What we see on network TV is decided in Toronto
Fact: All CIS sports take a back seat to NCAA

Result: I would like the media deciders in Toronto to give the homegrown Canadian college teams a little love once in awhile.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Really, are you that thinned skinned?
Fact: Media Centre of Canada is Toronto
Fact: Sports Media Centre of Canada is Toronto
Fact: What we see on network TV is decided in Toronto
Fact: All CIS sports take a back seat to NCAA

Result: I would like the media deciders in Toronto to give the homegrown Canadian college teams a little love once in awhile.
If you want to support college basketball, buy tickets to your local team and watch it rather than complaining about something you have absolutely no right to complain about unless you're supplementing the advertising budget.

You have local networks write them and ask them to cover local sporting events.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
If you want to support college basketball, buy tickets to your local team and watch it rather than complaining about something you have absolutely no right to complain about unless you're supplementing the advertising budget.

Well the CIS men's national basketball championship tourney is not a ''local'' event, and it gets next to zero coverage from the national media...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:

Yes our access channel covers the local university and minor league teams. I've attended many games as well. They don't cover other teams though and I would like to be able to watch other colleges play and not just the UofR.

What do you mean I have no right to complain? Are you the hall monitor?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:33 PM

I suspect if Toronto were hosting the Olympics you'd all be complaining that the networks were preempting your local sporting events to live feed them.

But fair enough, if complaining about Toronto is what gets yall through the day have at it. It's actually really amusing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
I suspect if Toronto were hosting the Olympics you'd all be complaining that the networks were preempting your local sporting events to live feed them.

But fair enough, if complaining about Toronto is what gets yall (whats with the dixism?) through the day have at it. It's actually really amusing.
So I take you need a safe room with some puppies and kittens when people talk about Toronto?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

BTW the most popular sport in Canada in terms of paid annual attendance is actually CHL junior hockey. Attendance is over 7 million a year. More than all of the Canadian NHL teams combined, more than the CFL, the Raptors, the Blue Jays. More than anyone.

But how much CHL coverage is there in the national media? A bit during the Memorial Cup and that's about it.

On the other hand we get TSN Sports Radio often doing like I heard them in the fall, giving us those critical early season NCAA basketball scores. UConn beat Boston College at the buzzer on Oct. 15. Woohoo!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So I take you need a safe room with some puppies and kittens when people talk about Toronto?
Yeah that's exactly it. I thought this was a thread about basketball?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada