HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:55 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Oh crap, I finally figured out how to power it on yesterday (I had to... water wasn't draining properly anymore). I ran it for about a minute without running the tap.

Have I now ruined my garburator?
The water is to rinse food particles after they've been ground up. Otherwise it might eventually get clogged.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Did you think when you woke up this morning you'd be teaching people elsewhere in Canada how to use a garburator?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
The water is to rinse food particles after they've been ground up. Otherwise it might eventually get clogged.
I doubt it's ruined. No offence intended to Esquire but these things are generally "idiot-proofed", aren't they?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:58 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Did you think when you woke up this morning you'd be teaching people elsewhere in Canada how to use a garburator?
No. I was thinking about why my neighbour decided it was okay to have people over at 4 am, and an hour later I was sitting at Denny's filled with homicidal thoughts.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:01 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Now that I think of it, if was to name that thing you guys call a garburator in English, I'd probably say "trash compactor".

Is that wrong?
Isn't garburator already an English word and out west (???), a garburator is a very different thing than a trash compactor. One attachs to the bottom of your sink (garburator ) while the other doesn't. Somehow though I think you're being sarcastic and I'm just missing it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Isn't garburator already an English word and out west (???), a garburator is a very different thing than a trash compactor. One attachs to the bottom of your sink (garburator ) while the other doesn't. Somehow though I think you're being sarcastic and I'm just missing it.
No sarcasm intended at all.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Thanks for the garburator tech support, guys! Now time for me to read that manual

Quote:
I doubt it's ruined. No offence intended to Esquire
None taken...when it comes to garburators, I am about as clueless as a newborn babe.

And as for trash compactors... are those actually household appliances? I always thought of them as something for commercial use, e.g. Canadian Tire might have one to crush boxes or whatever.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:54 PM

Soccer-baseball? You sick freaks!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks for the garburator tech support, guys! Now time for me to read that manual

None taken...when it comes to garburators, I am about as clueless as a newborn babe.

And as for trash compactors... are those actually household appliances? I always thought of them as something for commercial use, e.g. Canadian Tire might have one to crush boxes or whatever.
Garburator is a Canadian word for what is known in the USA as a garbage disposal. It is under the sink. A trash compactor is a small machine that compacts garbage into a bag so the garbage trucks can pick up a much smaller unit generally 4 bags down to 1

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:20 PM

i don't thnk i've ever seen a trash compactor in a house, but grocery stores etc use them

and speaking of garburators, my mom used to be a building manager and she had these tenants who were recently moved from eastern europe, and they used to use their toilet as a garburator, they would put all their food scraps down the toilet and it was always getting plugged up.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
No. I was thinking about why my neighbour decided it was okay to have people over at 4 am, and an hour later I was sitting at Denny's filled with homicidal thoughts.
Sitting in a Dennys at 5am is reason to be Homicidal.

That said I just replaced my GD recently. Not much to it, its almost plug and play. with a few bolts and screws attached.

It is recommended that you run some bones (Chicken) through the system every once in a while. It apparently cleans the blades.

The disposal macerates the food products which flush out with water. Running water is also recommended not just to flush the system but to cool the grinder motor.

Interesting enough, the sanitary systems in most communities of Nunavut have these maceraters on the toilets since all sanitary has to be trucked to the WWTPs in the communities.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
"Kraft Dinner" is a uniquely Canadian thing, afaik. I've often wondered if it doesn't reflect the fact that macaroni and cheese is often a meal in Canada, while it is more of a side dish in the USA?

But I agree, I would have received a "look" from my mother, had I ever referred to her macaroni and cheese as "KD"!
Quote:
In my experience it's definitely what people use for the cheap stuff with powder cheese and straight tubular pasta. Whether the brand is Kraft or not. (I've noticed that Americans have the same product made by Kraft but people down there don't call it Kraft Dinner or KD. I think they say Kraft Mac and Cheese or something...)

Back in Canada, a nicer macaroni and cheese (like your mom used to make) with curved macaroni pasta, real tomato sauce and spices, and real cheese, you'd obviously never refer to as KD or Kraft Dinner. It's not even the same colour.
When I was growing up (southwestern Ontario) I don't remember ever having "real" and cheese, so it was always Kraft Dinner or KD, and that's what we called it. I remember seeing "real" mac and cheese once and going "huh, someone made a fancy homemade KD".

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We had homemade mac and cheese, always with diced tomatoes and usually with slices of pork sausage.

Kraft Dinner was like fast food, a rare treat or even more rarely if my parents were swamped with work.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
When I was growing up (southwestern Ontario) I don't remember ever having "real" and cheese, so it was always Kraft Dinner or KD, and that's what we called it. I remember seeing "real" mac and cheese once and going "huh, someone made a fancy homemade KD".
Macaroni and cheese - the dish that bound generations of Canadians together. In more ways than one ....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
... you'd obviously never refer to as KD or Kraft Dinner. It's not even the same colour.
Yep - it has to be neon orange to qualify. (Regardless of the brand - the "real" Kraft brand or its supermarket chains' own home-brand clones.)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Soccer-baseball? You sick freaks!
Growing up, it was universally called kickball by all of us in my francophone area of Quebec.

(Anecdotal bit, in my head it was spelled Quickball - only much later as an adult with some notions of English did I realize in retrospect what "kick" meant and that it made total sense as a name.)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:43 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I see that they only polled Quebec Anglophones for making those maps.

The result would have been interesting if they'd used a generic sample of Quebec residents instead. In many cases I'm guessing Québécois and Westerners would be the ones having common ground, with American rather than British words as you would normally see in "older" Anglo Eastern Canada. (Due to having a noticeably higher % of their cultural content that's American-sourced rather than GTA-sourced.)
It's always more convenient to ignore that a part of the country is francophone. Our obvious (or not-so obvious) answers would have been different, for the most part. That would have made the maps look more canadiennes:

Liqueur || Dépanneur || Tuque || Broyeur || Crayons de couleur (or à colorier) || Kraft dinner (after 1995) or Macaroni au fromage (generic) || Divan || Cônes orange || Souper || Chalet || Running shoes (pronounce : rénille chouzes in the worst case) or just Souliers || Coton ouaté. Hoodie is becoming something, but that wasn't the case before || Kickball || Quelqu’un qui s’est levé du mauvais pied || Décalques or Papier transfert (we don’t really have a common word for decal) || ca-ra-mel (pronounce : kaʁamɛl) || Papier de construction or Papier bristol (not the same thing) || Notes || Ustensiles or Couverts || T'as-rond-Teau (pronounce : tɔ.ʁɔ̃.to) || Gouttières || Le compte d’hydro or just L’électricité || Élastique.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:47 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
For here, it's

"Power outlets"
"Light switches"
"Electric meters" (or just "meters", as we don't have water meters)
"Hydro bills"
"is Hydro included with this apartment?"

(all translated into English to their most direct equivalent to the best of my knowledge for this post.)

Ontario is exactly the same, at least in my experience. Growing up in Alberta it took me a while to figure out hydro, although since I spent a lot of time with family in Ontario during summers I was quite familiar by the time I moved here.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Growing up, it was universally called kickball by all of us in my francophone area of Quebec.

(Anecdotal bit, in my head it was spelled Quickball - only much later as an adult with some notions of English did I realize in retrospect what "kick" meant and that it made total sense as a name.)
I admit that kickball / soccer-baseball made me scratch my head.

I mean, I knew exactly what it was but I wondered (as I always do when I heard a term like that in English) how I'd say that in French.

Then it dawned upon me that I'd only played soccer-baseball (that's what they called it) in the English schools I went to.

In my years of schooling in French we never happened to play that sport.

I'll have to ask my kids tonight if they've ever played it and what they call it.

I bet that if they know it it's called kickball.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:55 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
I bet that if they know it it's called kickball.
We used to play it every spring and fall, outside, at elementary school (en éducation physique). We always called it kickball.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada