HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:45 AM

I never knew how regional garburator was (though now i see that my spell check doesn't recognize it, haha)

Another BC area word is "Parkade" for a multi level or underground parking area.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:37 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post

This one is a little weird to me. Generally, I trust statistical sampling over anecdotal evidence, but in all my life it's probably only been a handful of times I've heard someone say "electric(ity) bill", and I'm saying a handful because I can't actually think of any time I've heard it, but I don't want to dismiss it outright. People always complain about their "power bill", which makes sense since it's shortened from SaskPower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Another BC area word is "Parkade" for a multi level or underground parking area.
That one goes all the way through the prairies too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 6:05 AM
The New Republic

When I moved to Ontario I thought people were talking about their water bill when they said 'hydro'.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:09 PM

I have to question "Kraft Dinner/KD" as the generic term for "macaroni and cheese/mac and cheese". I have never heard it used that way and would find it odd if I did.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:12 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I never knew how regional garburator was (though now i see that my spell check doesn't recognize it, haha)

Parkade is definitely Canada-wide. For some weird reason they use the term in South Africa as well, but as far as I can tell nowhere else in the anglosphere does.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's KD and parkade in the Maritimes. Garburator works here too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's still parking garage here, but parkade is making inroads (it's the official name of one newly-built one, etc.).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's KD and parkade in the Maritimes. Garburator works here too.
"Garburator" was a brand of garbage disposal, was it not? Sort of like "Kleenex" as the generic name for paper tissues?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I have to question "Kraft Dinner/KD" as the generic term for "macaroni and cheese/mac and cheese". I have never heard it used that way and would find it odd if I did.
In my experience it's definitely what people use for the cheap stuff with powder cheese and straight tubular pasta. Whether the brand is Kraft or not. (I've noticed that Americans have the same product made by Kraft but people down there don't call it Kraft Dinner or KD. I think they say Kraft Mac and Cheese or something...)

Back in Canada, a nicer macaroni and cheese (like your mom used to make) with curved macaroni pasta, real tomato sauce and spices, and real cheese, you'd obviously never refer to as KD or Kraft Dinner. It's not even the same colour.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In my experience it's definitely what people use for the cheap stuff with powder cheese and straight tubular pasta. Whether the brand is Kraft or not. (I've noticed that Americans have the same product made by Kraft but people down there don't call it Kraft Dinner or KD. I think they say Kraft Mac and Cheese or something...)

Back in Canada, a nicer macaroni and cheese (like your mom used to make) with curved macaroni pasta, real tomato sauce and spices, and real cheese, you'd obviously never refer to as KD or Kraft Dinner. It's not even the same colour.
"Kraft Dinner" is a uniquely Canadian thing, afaik. I've often wondered if it doesn't reflect the fact that macaroni and cheese is often a meal in Canada, while it is more of a side dish in the USA?

But I agree, I would have received a "look" from my mother, had I ever referred to her macaroni and cheese as "KD"!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I see that they only polled Quebec Anglophones for making those maps.

The result would have been interesting if they'd used a generic sample of Quebec residents instead. In many cases I'm guessing Québécois and Westerners would be the ones having common ground, with American rather than British words as you would normally see in "older" Anglo Eastern Canada. (Due to having a noticeably higher % of their cultural content that's American-sourced rather than GTA-sourced.)
A lot of them in Quebec are simply the easiest obvious calque from French as well. (That may or may not happen to be used in the U.S. too.)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This one is a little weird to me. Generally, I trust statistical sampling over anecdotal evidence, but in all my life it's probably only been a handful of times I've heard someone say "electric(ity) bill", and I'm saying a handful because I can't actually think of any time I've heard it, but I don't want to dismiss it outright. People always complain about their "power bill", which makes sense since it's shortened from SaskPower.

That one goes all the way through the prairies too.
Some Acadian relatives I have in the Maritimes refer to the power bill as a bill for "pouvoir", even though in NB at least the name of the utility is NB Power / Énergie NB.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't think I've ever seen a garbage disposal in person, and I have been in relatives homes of every class. I know what they are from television, those things in the drain that roar and sometimes chew people's arms off. I think most people here just use the sink's upturned stop to filter the water and then shake what the stop collects into the garbage. That's what I do anyway.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:42 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a garbage disposal in person, and I have been in relatives homes of every class. I know what they are from television, those things in the drain that roar and sometimes chew people's arms off. I think most people here just use the sink's upturned stop to filter the water and then shake what the stop collects into the garbage. That's what I do anyway.
Well, you are cordially invited to Calgary to take a peek at my garburator.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:43 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
"Kraft Dinner" is a uniquely Canadian thing, afaik. I've often wondered if it doesn't reflect the fact that macaroni and cheese is often a meal in Canada, while it is more of a side dish in the USA?
Speaking of this, I have definitely received "sides" of macaroni and cheese in the U.S. that are larger than what I'd hope most people consider a meal.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Well, you are cordially invited to Calgary to take a peek at my garburator.
Is that a euphemism?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I just moved into a house that has one... it's the first time I've ever had to deal with a garburator. I have no idea how it works... I suppose at some point I should sit down and read the manual.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:48 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Is that a euphemism?
That's open for interpretation.

Quote:
I just moved into a house that has one... it's the first time I've ever had to deal with a garburator. I have no idea how it works... I suppose at some point I should sit down and read the manual.
In most places I've lived that have one, it's usually tied to one of your light switches. You just have to make sure you keep the tap running while it's turned on.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
In most places I've lived that have one, it's usually tied to one of your light switches. You just have to make sure you keep the tap running while it's turned on.
Oh crap, I finally figured out how to power it on yesterday (I had to... water wasn't draining properly anymore). I ran it for about a minute without running the tap.

Have I now ruined my garburator?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Now that I think of it, if was to name that thing you guys call a garburator in English, I'd probably say "trash compactor".

Is that wrong?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada