HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 12:15 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Any group Canada is in would be hard because there is 6 team definitely better than us in CONCACAF
I was mostly referring to our recent dismally depressing draw with El Salvador at the Gold Cup and the most embarrassing game in Canadian history against Honduras.

At least if we had been drawn into the US group we would get greater public interest for the US matches and don't have a terrible history against Trinidad. In that group we also would get the winner of Saint Vincent & Grenadines and Aruba...two teams we can, at least, for sure beat. In Group A we don't have that guarantee at all.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 1:10 AM
Hello World

Any group Canada is in is the group of death

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 9:56 PM
arf

^This.

Hopefully Canada can get past Belize and at least get some more competitive games under our belt and generate some interest with some interesting teams in the fourth round. The Gold Cup result makes me wonder if even Belize is an easy through to the next round which is sad.

Canada will need to beat a team that we don't stack up well against on paper to get to the final round of qualifying. As was said, there are six teams that are significantly better than us right now so we're going to need a jump in our play to make it. I'm really just hopeful for some promising growth in play and depth of the team over this qualification time period.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 9:56 PM
arf

Hats off to Mexico for winning the Gold Cup.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Hats off to Mexico for winning the Gold Cup.
I wouldn't be saying that, based on everything that happened before the final, they did not play well enough to be there, but that is just my 2 cents on that

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 2:50 PM
arf

^Often times penalties determine games in FIFA. It does appear dubious that two matches are decided on late penalties and this probably won't be the last time either.

They did show up in the final game and they did have decent chances against Costa Rica earlier in the game. The Panama game was the game they probably should have lost.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:19 PM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 11:09 PM
ハルウララ

Guess that means Ivory Coast said no to him. Either that or this is a massive reversal in Canada's ability to cap its best players.

Still, Canada's future CMNT got brighter today, so that's great.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Guess that means Ivory Coast said no to him. Either that or this is a massive reversal in Canada's ability to cap its best players.

Still, Canada's future CMNT got brighter today, so that's great.
He is an under-20 Barcelona prospect, i hardly believe the Ivory Coast would say no to him, especially long term.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:38 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
That's such an amazing news!!! Him and Davies are going to change the face of Canadian soccer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:50 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Yeah, and Osorio is in form too now, won the golden boot in CONCACAF and scoring like crazy right now. Who are the top Canadian MNT players right now? Defenders, Midfielders, Goalies, Forwards, etc. I have to admit I'm not familiar with all of them.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Who are the top Canadian MNT players right now? Defenders, Midfielders, Goalies, Forwards, etc. I have to admit I'm not familiar with all of them.
Not a bad guide here by a pretty solid source. Jonathan David and Marcus Godinho are interesting prospects.

Last edited by elly63; Sep 27, 2018 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:15 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Not a bad guide here by a pretty solid source. Jonathan David and Marcus Godinho are interesting prospects.
Great link, thanks!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:50 AM

Never before has Canada had this much talent and potential. Perhaps, they will become the Golden Generation. I think Herdman and many in the soccer media will start to look past simply making the World Cup. We want to win a round or two:

Alphonso Davies, 18 - Bayern Munich
Jonathan David, 18 - Gent
Alessandro Busti, 18 - Juventus
Ballou Tabla, 19 - Barcelona
Liam Millar, 19 - Liverpool
Cycle Larin, 23 - Besitkas

Add Scott Arfield (Rangers) as captain. Junior Hoilett (Cardiff City). The MLS guys like Oso. The only thing we lack is defence. Which is kinda big. Herdman needs to go get Fikayo Timori of Chelsea (Derby County) who was born in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtsandrobots View Post
I think Herdman and many in the soccer media will start to look past simply making the World Cup. We want to win a round or two
JH, did an interview with Tim and Sid IIRC where he took my approach and said to the naysayers/haterz (7:10 below) if you're not on board get the hell out of the way.

Video Link

Reminded me of, I think, Gareth Rees at the 1991 Rugby World Cup saying the same thing. I remember it because Canadians had always spoken the same BS of top ten finish and all that crap. It was refreshing to hear from someone willing to take on the world.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 5:42 PM

Canada soccer coach John Herdman working hard on establishing team culture
Neil Davidson The Canadian Press Oct. 12, 2018

While he works on building a winning team on the pitch, Canadian men’s soccer coach John Herdman is also looking to knit his players together off it.

In the buildup to Tuesday’s CONCACAF Nations League qualifying match against Dominica at Toronto’s BMO Field, Herdman had assistant coaches Jason deVos, captain of Canada’s victorious 2000 Gold Cup team, and Paul Dolan, a member of Canada’s lone World Cup team from 1986, speak to the players on “the meaning of the shirt.”

He had officials from the military speak to the players “about the importance of their uniform and the code of their uniform.”

Herdman also brought out a 1968 national team jersey, from the first year the Canadians switched to their now iconic red from the previous blue.

“We’re starting to lay a real solid cultural foundation and open some things up that the players may not have been exposed to before,” Herdman told a media conference call Friday. “We know we have to deepen their meaning of what we’re doing and why we’re doing it.”

Canadian MMA fighter Elias Theodorou, ranked 13th among UFC middleweight contenders, has also been lined up to speak to the players.

At the team’s training base north of Toronto in Alliston, Ont., the players have a so-called performance room, complete with work stations and tablets so they can study training sessions and tactics. The room also has video game consoles and a ping-pong table to help the players bond.

Given the list of Canada coaches since 2000 includes Holger Osieck, Colin Miller, Frank Yallop, Stephen Hart, Tony Fonseca, Benito Floro, Michael Findlay, Octavio Zambrano and Herdman, it is no wonder that the Canadian team culture has been less than solid.

Canada, ranked No. 79 in the world compared to No. 177 for Dominica, opened its CONCACAF Nations League qualifying play with an 8-0 win over the No. 201 U.S. Virgin Islands.

Dominica tied No. 153 Suriname 0-0 in its opener.

The Canadian roster includes teenagers Jonathan David (KAA Gent, Belgium) Alphonso Davies (Vancouver Whitecaps, bound for Bayern Munich), Alessandro Busti (Juventus reserves), Liam Millar (Liverpool FC under-23), Zachary Brault-Guillard (Olympique Lyonnais) and first-time call-up Ballou Tabla (FC Barcelona B team).

Tabla, a 19-year-old midfielder/forward, was born in the Ivory Coast and came to Canada when he was eight. He had represented Canada at the youth level but only recently declared his international allegiance.

Tabla left the Montreal Impact for Barcelona’s B team in January.

The Dominica contest is one of four qualifying games that serve as an appetizer for the 2019 debut of a competition showcasing teams from North and Central America and the Caribbean. Eventually, the participating CONCACAF countries will be divided into three tiers with promotion and relegation.

The tournaments are seen as a way to move away from meaningless friendly matches and to ensure all confederation members get meaningful games.

Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, the U.S., and Trinidad & Tobago, the six teams that made it to the final round of World Cup qualifying in the region, will bypass the one-off qualifying stage.

Results from the 68 qualifying games will be used to seed Canada and the 33 other contestants into three tiers for the inaugural edition of the full CONCACAF Nations League in 2019.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:07 AM

Canada 5 Dominica 0

Herdman cap ties more prospects in one game than some past coaches did in their entire tenure.

Gotta love the Liam Millar clip at halftime, I paraphrase, "I watched the US vs Colombia, they're no better than we are." The kids are all right.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:28 AM

Only ten thousand people at the match tonight.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:53 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Only ten thousand people at the match tonight.
Not surprising. Tickets were expensive and it was a Tuesday night match against a country nobody has ever heard of.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:12 PM

Vancouver would have been bigger. It always is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada