HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:11 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
That's just what I'm imagining too. It will be cool to see a sort of onion city develop, with increasingly fine-grained layers as you go deeper into neighbourhoods.

As for allowing commercial use, maybe they could test it in a downtown-adjacent neighbourhood--between Spadina and University, for example--and find out that the sky won't fall. Or in the lanes off existing high streets. Either way, the pace of new development in Toronto replacing old commercial space, and the troubles with leasing new commercial space to anything but boring chains, means Toronto needs exactly this kind of cheap commercial space.

Kensington Market would be the perfect spot for a pilot project for this. Unfortunately the city seems very reluctant to expand new commercial/mixed-zone areas - especially anywhere in the untouchable, sacred low-density residential zones.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:46 AM

Ancient headquarters of the National Bank of Canada, founded in Quebec City in 1859. The bank moved to this building in 1862. The National Bank fusionned with the Hochelaga Bank in 1924 and its headquarter was moved to Montreal. It is now a popular 4 stars boutique hotel: Le 71.

https://www.facebook.com/Quebeccite/...23040017713529

Last edited by davidivivid; Nov 20, 2020 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:49 AM

double post

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:49 PM

St-André-de-Kamouraska village and surrounding area. All pics by Patric Nadeau https://www.patricnadeau.photo/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:52 PM

Superbes photos. I stayed once in that boutique hotel. Georgeous building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 3:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The drive down the St. Lawrence River on the south shore from Riviere de Loup to Quebec City is spectacular. I always look forward to it every time I drive to central Canada.

I am less familiar with the Bas St-Laurent east of Riviere du Loup, but I did circumnavigate the Gaspe once. A truly spectacular drive as well, and in places, quite wild............

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 6:15 PM
Riki beach

Merci pour ces belles photos de mon coin de pays!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:45 PM

Mile-End, Montreal

by jeanbernardvidal on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 12:05 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Those St-André-de-Kamouraska shots are amazing. I need to make it out that way next summer.

Brawny Montreal pic there too.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:03 PM
Riki beach

Rimouski today

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I thought this would be a nice idea for a thread. It eliminates the pretentiousness (of which I've also been guilty) of posting 50-60 photos in one comment and allows everyone to be able to enjoy the pics without having to scroll through hundreds just on one page of a thread.

It seems to be happening again in the other thread. So glad you started this one. Those St-André-de-Kamouraska village and surrounding area photo's are amazing. Looks a lot like the Scottish or Irish coastline.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It seems to be happening again in the other thread. So glad you started this one.
Did it ever occured to you to simply appreciate or enjoy the contribution of your fellow forumers instead of gratuitously bitching ? Some of us spend hours everyweek to curate and prepare our sets. Myself, I now limit each of my post to 15 pics or less, and instagram pics are very light. I post maximum twice a week. If it seems that I take a lot of space in « that other thread » it’s only because I am often the only one posting in one or two weeks. I go to the trouble of posting only current, new pictures (contrary to you who often post old pictures already seen on the forum). Have respect not only to the posters but to the forumers who enjoy these posts. And if you can’t find the time and the energy to go through a 15 instagram pictures post, just stay away.

I can’t believe that you went to the trouble of quoting a 2015 post just to bitch.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Nov 28, 2020 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 8:17 AM
ARTchitecture

Downtown Calgary

City Hall by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Downtown Stream by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Pathways by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Fishing by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Central Memorial Winter by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:33 PM

I’m always intrigue by how cristal clear the water is in the Bow river. Is there like zero pollution in it ?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I’m always intrigue by how cristal clear the water is in the Bow river. Is there like zero pollution in it ?
The Bow is glacial water from the Rockies. It is very clean.

The Saint Lawrence on the other hand contains a lot of effluvium from places like Toledo and Cleveland - not quite the same thing..........

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:33 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Correct, essentially. Same with the Elbow River. Dogs drink out of it, people surf, swim, paddleboard, and float down it. The source glaciers start at 100 km away and the primary source is about 200 km away, for both rivers. Calgary dumps virtually zero untreated water into the environment, even downstream. The Bow passes through cities and towns with a combined population of only 60,000 by the time it reaches the city, and the Elbow is only maybe 2,000. This is a big part of why Calgary has been named the cleanest city in the world for over a decade.

Quote:
I can’t believe that you went to the trouble of quoting a 2015 post just to bitch.
You can't believe it? Lio and co. do it all the time man. It's no stranger to this forum.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Nov 29, 2020 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Pop

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Well if they made an effort to show some variety and not just spam us with 20 pictures of almost the same thing.

Also, it was sooooooooooooo much trouble to go to Chad's very first post of this thread to quote him and thank him again for setting up this where we can get a few nice samples and see way more variety form different places. Why so upset? Was it you that posted like 30 pics of Montreal? I didn't even look to see who it was, followed up by another post of about 30 pics from Toronto by somebody else. At least in this thread people make more of an effort to find some unique views. The other is like going on streets view and and screen grabbing each forward advance the way some people post.]

"I can’t believe that you went to the trouble" lol this made me chuckle thanks. If you need some help navigating to the first page, here is a link. As you can see it was no trouble at all: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216519

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:08 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Well if they made an effort to show some variety and not just spam us with 20 pictures of almost the same thing.

Also, it was sooooooooooooo much trouble to go to Chad's very first post of this thread to quote him and thank him again for setting up this where we can get a few nice samples and see way more variety form different places. Why so upset? Was it you that posted like 30 pics of Montreal? I didn't even look to see who it was, followed up by another post of about 30 pics from Toronto by somebody else. At least in this thread people make more of an effort to find some unique views. The other is like going on streets view and and screen grabbing each forward advance the way some people post.]

"I can’t believe that you went to the trouble" lol this made me chuckle thanks. If you need some help navigating to the first page, here is a link. As you can see it was no trouble at all: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216519
It's not directed strictly towards you, but this kind of posts and attitude are what made me gradually stop posting content here, on SSP. I don't get the constant acrimony between some members, and all of the opinions expressed with such animosity. It's just a forum - why should we undermine anyone's quality contributions? Sometimes, the ambiance on the canadian forum of SSP is not sane. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, there was some good stuff on this page. The Kamouraska, Rimouski, Quebec, Calgary and Montreal posts were captivating. Keep the pictures coming. And I really hope that we will get to see more pictures of small cities and towns.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax, Barrington Street

Source

Not in the city but nearby on the South Shore of NS somewhere:

Source

South End. If you look closely you can see these have some brick construction, actually pretty common in these houses.

Source

West End

Source

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 11:44 PM

Few pics from DT Burlington today. Nice and sunny, but windy by the water. Much more pleasant away from the shore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada