HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Police and Fire Station 11, Montreal

103flickr

Snowdon Theatre, Montreal

lpcdn
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 1:47 PM

I wonder if that fire station is also a Cormier building? It reminds me a bit of UdeM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 2:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Well said, and I agree.

motley
Hinder! Ugh! Who the fuck would see a Hinder reunion tour?! They were never great. That's more the equivalent of 90's fake Californian suburbs than Art Deco. A better example would be a band like Aerosmith or something. Used to be good but should have retired long ago.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 3:44 PM
Look at me!

More Universite de Montreal pics - courtesy of my friend and mentor Dino Bombaru.

Seriously, I love this building. It's worthy of being a parliament building. Its dimensions even match the centre block in ottawa.

Notice the deliberate asymmetric design of the flanking towers.

Interior

Oh my god, maybe its because I see it from my kitchen window all the time, but I'm starting to become obsessed with Cormier's UdeM.

Did you know the tower was the 5th tallest building in montreal in 1943? The 10th tallest in the whole country??! It's the tooth!

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Mar 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 5:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The UdeM building is probably the single finest university structure in the country.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 5:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:26 PM

UdeM is a great building.

However, they really need to fix the landscaping in front of it.

A cracked parking lot is really undignified for such a building, and so is a cul de sac in front of the main tower.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 8:40 PM
Look at me!

^Clearly the surface parking needs to go. In fact when I was walking there last week,I noticed that much of UdeM campus is dotted with huge surface parking and has very little in actual common space. There's a tragic lack of trees, shade and grass for a campus plopped directly onto Mont-Royal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:03 PM

UdeM is always described as Art Deco, but does anybody see a possible influence of Fascist Architecture there? Maybe it's just the scale of the place, but the time period seems about right. I don't know enough about Cormier to know where he looked for inspiration.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
UdeM is always described as Art Deco, but does anybody see a possible influence of Fascist Architecture there? Maybe it's just the scale of the place, but the time period seems about right. I don't know enough about Cormier to know where he looked for inspiration.
I think you only have to look at the house he build for himself in the Golden Square Mile to have proof that Cormier was a genuine Art Deco master. That being said, there is some obvious easthetics links between Art Deco and fascist architecture. In fact, maybe that is one reason why Art Deco lost its glam after WWII.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I think you only have to look at the house he build for himself in the Golden Square Mile to have proof that Cormier was a genuine Art Deco master.
I thought of that myself (do the Trudeaus still own that house?), but the contrast of that house with UdeM and that Montreal fire station is quite striking, it seems to me.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:18 AM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:28 AM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:36 AM

I lived in this building for about four years back in the late eighties, long before it became furnished suites for short term rental. It was less than a five minute walk from Universite de Montreal, convenient for my ex who was doing her masters in translation.

Every apartment had an artificial fireplace, ours still had a grille with glass shard coals and a light. Lovely inlaid floors and dark woodwork.

http://www.lerockledge.com/index.php/en

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 6:47 AM

Really hope this building isn't lost through neglect.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/fire...nowdon-theatre

- themainmontreal

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The UdeM building is probably the single finest university structure in the country.
I love Art Deco but this building has always rubbed me the wrong way. It's extremely cold and barren feeling to me. It's depressing to walk around from the outside. I've never been in it and I'd love to but it's always been one of my least favorite structures in Montreal. Maybe it's the scale of it. The thought of going to school every day at that complex would depress me.

I just wanted to edit my post to say I agree it's probably the most grandiose in scale university structure in North America.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:27 PM
Look at me!

UdM tower is nice and grand, but it can't compete with the Cathedral of learning in Pittsburgh (of all places).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:37 PM

^ Whoa that is a beauty. I don't remember seeing that building before (although it's a safe bet that I probably saw it in a photothread here years ago)

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 4:31 AM
That's no excuse!

Edmonton's recently renovated (at great expense) Federal Building. Designed in 1939, the ceremonial cornerstone was laid on May 7, 1955. But it was vacant from 1989 until just recently. Note the addition of former Premier Redford's "sky palace" on top.

The first photo is from May 10, 2016. The second, from the plaza (west) side, is from last year.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportrail View Post
But it was vacant from 1989 until just recently. Note the addition of former Premier Redford's "sky palace" on top.
Building a state residence on the top floor of an art deco building sounds like something a dictator or supervillain might do.

At the provincial level, it also just screams "we've been in power for too long".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada