HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 12:13 AM
I am the law!

I adore Art Deco so this thread somewhat pains me. It doesn't encompass everything built before 1940. Perhaps the thread should change the name from Art Deco to heritage if it doesn't drop off right away.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 12:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I am going full Shatner.

Art. Deco. Is the. Best. Architectural. Style. Of the. Past. 100. Years.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 2:03 AM
Look at me!

UdeM Tower by Rommheim, on Flickr

12380412_10153863670876049_2031936729_n by Rommheim, on Flickr

UdeM Building by Rommheim, on Flickr

I visited the UdeM campus today and I will say this, though I'm a huge fan of Cormier's building, the campus itself is weathered and tired looking, hostile to pedestrian activity and quite sterile in feeling. It's really in need of a major re-configuration.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 2:19 AM

Glorious - all of it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 10:22 PM

NB never really hopped on the Art Deco train. Fredericton has some gorgeous 60s modernism as well as tons of Victorian structures and SJ has torn down a few great ones but here's some examples.

Federal Building, Fredericton

From Street View

Beaverbrook Hotel, Fredericton

Former NB Power Building, Fredericton

Saint John General Hospital, demolished 1995

Union Station, Saint John (Demolished 1933)

Admiral Beatty Hotel/Imperial Theatre, Saint John

Soon the be joined by Irving Oil HQ

St. Vincent's High School, Saint John

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:24 PM
Fake News

Happy to see this thread get a bump as I had forgotten it existed. Having visited NYC last spring it felt like I was visiting the promised land. The Chrysler and Empire State buildings were amazing. So many other buildings everywhere around that were also Art Deco and amazing too. On the other coast I love the Griffith Observatory and City Hall in LA and Hollywood has some great examples too. Canada's top two towers would have to be Toronto's Commerce Court and Montreal's Aldred building. I visited the St. Joseph Oratory this October and saw the modern and pseudo Art Deco influences but I didn't think of it as being Art Deco for some reason. The exterior certainly isn't. I can see the arches though on the inside belonging to that style.

It seems like Art Deco is such a broad term and like it lasted for half a century so there is a wide range of different types. Living in western Canada in a city with limited historical stock of buildings I always associated the more 50's-60's Art Moderne with Art Deco. Apparently that doesn't count though if you're a purist like WhipperSnapper. I don't know. What constitutes the limits of Art Deco?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Happy to see this thread get a bump as I had forgotten it existed. Having visited NYC last spring it felt like I was visiting the promised land. The Chrysler and Empire State buildings were amazing. So many other buildings everywhere around that were also Art Deco and amazing too. On the other coast I love the Griffith Observatory and City Hall in LA and Hollywood has some great examples too. Canada's top two towers would have to be Toronto's Commerce Court and Montreal's Aldred building. I visited the St. Joseph Oratory this October and saw the modern and pseudo Art Deco influences but I didn't think of it as being Art Deco for some reason. The exterior certainly isn't. I can see the arches though on the inside belonging to that style.

It seems like Art Deco is such a broad term and like it lasted for half a century so there is a wide range of different types. Living in western Canada in a city with limited historical stock of buildings I always associated the more 50's-60's Art Moderne with Art Deco. Apparently that doesn't count though if you're a purist like WhipperSnapper. I don't know. What constitutes the limits of Art Deco?
There are lots of buildings from the 1950s that show Art Deco/Moderne influences.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:33 PM
Fake News

Here's a recently built house in Calgary in the Art Deco style. Obviously it's not authentic but I actually don't mind it compared to other bastardized rip offs.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.05897...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:35 PM
Look at me!

That St.John hospital...what a shame.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:39 PM

Agreed about that hospital.

St.Joseph oratory is a mixed style pile. But there is some elements of pure Art Deco, like the giant luminaries.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Agreed about that hospital.

St.Joseph oratory is a mixed style pile. But there is some elements of pure Art Deco, like the giant luminaries.
Yeah I can see that. The metal lattice work in parts of it almost seemed inspired by Charles Rennie Macintosh or something. They also kind of reminded me of Art Nouveau but not quite. When I saw it as a kid i didn't appreciate it the same as this time around.

Agreed about that Saint John Hospital. A crying shame.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 2:51 AM

Franco401,

Beaverbrook Hotel looks like it was built/removated in the '90s using stucco. Art Deco is usually consists of stone and brick, but I suppose art deco forms can be made using stucco. In any case, I don't think that building is a good example.
Union Station, Imperial Theatre, and St. Vincent High School are influenced by classical architecture, they are not art deco.

The other examples you posted are good.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 6:00 AM

Has there ever been a City Beautiful thread? I wonder if there would be enough examples to make a go of it...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 7:08 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Franco401,

Beaverbrook Hotel looks like it was built/removated in the '90s using stucco. Art Deco is usually consists of stone and brick, but I suppose art deco forms can be made using stucco. In any case, I don't think that building is a good example.
Union Station, Imperial Theatre, and St. Vincent High School are influenced by classical architecture, they are not art deco.

Really? Isn't virtually every Art Deco building in Miami stucco? Here most of the Art Deco apartments and whatnot I have seen are always white stucco too.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Franco401,

The old train station is not Art Deco.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 4:42 PM

^^ Good point O-tacular.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am going full Shatner.

Art. Deco. Is the. Best. Architectural. Style. Of the. Past. 100. Years.
I think we like Art Deco because it was a short-lived architectural style that was tragically cut short at its prime by the events of the Second World War.

Art Deco is the architectural equivalent of musicians that died at 27. If they would have survived into middle age, they'd be making watered-down songs and having embarrassing reunion tours.

It would be funny to think what Art Deco would have devolved into if it had been able to run out a natural life like the Modernist/International style. Nowadays modernism is a mixed bag. We fondly remember things like Mies, but we also remember horrendous housing projects and the late stage bastardization of the style into today's cookie cutter condos.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 6:56 PM

It makes one wonder what's next. At the moment, it seems to involve the death of straight lines. I'd love to see a return to more decorative elements.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 1:06 PM
Fake News

An interesting explanation of the difference between Art Deco and Art Moderne. It appears many of the buildings I have seen here before and thought were Art Deco are in fact Art Moderne.

http://architecturestyles.org/art-deco/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 1:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I think we like Art Deco because it was a short-lived architectural style that was tragically cut short at its prime by the events of the Second World War.

Art Deco is the architectural equivalent of musicians that died at 27. If they would have survived into middle age, they'd be making watered-down songs and having embarrassing reunion tours.

It would be funny to think what Art Deco would have devolved into if it had been able to run out a natural life like the Modernist/International style. Nowadays modernism is a mixed bag. We fondly remember things like Mies, but we also remember horrendous housing projects and the late stage bastardization of the style into today's cookie cutter condos.
Well said, and I agree.

motley
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada