HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
Uhh, 500,000 fireworks is a lot but we're definitely not talking about billions of dollars

It actually only cost them 6 million;
http://ca.eonline.com/news/495287/du...cost-6-million
Haha, I really overestimated the cost of fireworks! OOPS.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:29 AM
ARTchitecture

One Bloor

One Bloor by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

ICE

Giants by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:18 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I have no doubt in Dubai's capacity for spectacle.
People are drawn to spectacle. The UAE does it with their cities, the Brits do it with their pomp and pageantry, the Yanks do it with college football and their NYE celebrations in Times Square, the North Koreans do it with their military parades, the Brazilians do it with Carnivale. It's one thing we're terrible at.

God forbid that we'd want to be entertained.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 3, 2014 at 8:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
The oil sheikhs happily throw billions to the winds on frivolous monuments to decadence and profligacy.
And the aristocracy in Europe before them spent it on palaces and castles. Paris is a result of their penchant for decadence and extravagance. Say what you will, but if the world was rid of it completely we'd be all poorer for it.

Dubai, Manhattan, and Paris are all very different but come from the same place. The world is a far more interesting place for having all 3. Dubai isn't my cup of tea, but I know I'm not going to be bored if I visit.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
People are drawn to spectacle. The UAE does it with their cities, the Brits do it with their pomp and pageantry, the Yanks do it with college football and their NYE celebrations in Times Square, the North Koreans do it with their military parades. It's one thing we're terrible at.
For a couple of the countries you mentioned, spectacle is all they have.

Anyway, the whole notion of spectacle seems contrary to the down-to-earth attitude that often characterizes the Canadian identity.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:38 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
For a couple of the countries you mentioned, spectacle is all they have.
Can you imagine if they didn't even have that?

Quote:
Anyway, the whole notion of spectacle seems contrary to the down-to-earth attitude that often characterizes the Canadian identity.
And goes a long way to explaining foreigners perceptions of Canada as being an excruciatingly boring place. I often have a hard time convincing them that we're not. This is a country where beige is a colour. That stereotypical 'Canadian' identity can't die soon enough, imo. Some old time Canucks are as dry as toast. Why that's something to aspire to is beyond me.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 12:12 PM
gettin' rich!

Chad, thanks for the construction update. I'm going to go to Calgary one day and do a construction update when I get there.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:40 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
And goes a long way to explaining foreigners perceptions of Canada as being an excruciatingly boring place. I often have a hard time convincing them that we're not. This is a country where beige is a colour. That stereotypical 'Canadian' identity can't die soon enough, imo. Some old time Canucks are as dry as toast. Why that's something to aspire to is beyond me.
Being calm grounded, and able to enjoy the simple things in life is something very much to like.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:43 PM
I am the law!

Let's not forget there's reprocussions to spectacle such as seen in Dubai. It's a very convincing tool to keep the masses at peace. It's no wonder places, past and present, with huge disparities tend to rely heavily on spectacle.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:48 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Chad, thanks for the construction update. I'm going to go to Calgary one day and do a construction update when I get there.
haha go for it. I used to live in Toronto though, have tons of family in and around the metro area, that's why I was back.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Can you imagine if they didn't even have that?

It's these exact same traits that the world was praising when Canada didn't slide into near oblivion in 2008. Spectacle is nice when things are good but when the time comes to pay the bill it may not be so sweet.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:20 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I won't deny that I would love to see more towers build in Montreal, but the reality is that the city will never have a boom like Toronto. I mean, Very few cities in the world have boom that compare to Toronto. but all things considered, Montreal is doing okay by NA standards and it certainly isn't true that the city is turning its back on skyscrapers. That's all.
Agreed. Mtl, is a great example of good growth with low rise, mid rise and high rises. It might not have the tall, tall ones like Toronto or other American cities, but its skyline has tall enough buildings, and is well proportioned...looks really nice.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:24 PM
Editor

One Bloor has a ways to go before it's done. Looks like us Calgarians will have to wait a while before we can claim top spot on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
One Bloor

One Bloor by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:31 PM
ARTchitecture

haha yeah man! Even still, we'll probably only have it for a couple months - a year. I'm just stoked for us to take two spots on this listing with both over 220 meters

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:31 PM
gettin' rich!

4 years and the top 4 towers down at One Yonge are the only thing that are keeping Calgary from the top spot.

If One Yonge is not approved (or downsized) then in 2017/2018 the top spot will be theirs.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Brookfield Place will be done in 2017 Telus Sky in 2018!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:34 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
haha yeah man! Even still, we'll probably only have it for a couple months - a year. I'm just stoked for us to take two spots on this listing with both over 220 meters
Yup

Brookfield Place being steel will rise fast and likely in the final year will track down One Bloor before One Bloor is even finished. Most likely Calgary gets the top spot at the end of 2017, but only for a short time..

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:35 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
4 years and the top 4 towers down at One Yonge are the only thing that are keeping Calgary from the top spot.

If One Yonge is not approved (or downsized) then in 2017/2018 the top spot will be theirs.
Die Yonge street towers die!

Truth be told, we're just happy to be on the list lol.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:55 PM
ARTchitecture

haha I don't want them to die! Just maybe get stalled for a few months

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:08 PM

did calgary ever have the top spot with the Bow? or did Trump keep that from them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada