HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 4:46 PM
gettin' rich!

Combining this list with the 11-30 list would allow more Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Burnaby, Edmonton and possibly even Ottawa projects to join this thread.

I'm down with that...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 5:56 PM
I am the law!

A combined Top 30 thread would be more interesting. It's still an exclusive club. This idea to be more inclusive of all Canadian cities misses the point .

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 6:13 PM
gettin' rich!

This is the thread I visit the most. It would be nice to have some new peeps in here.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 7:03 PM
gettin' rich!

From just now.

Live Updates to continue All Day! Yay! Lol!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 7:30 PM

Given that this thread hit 10,000 as quickly as it did, I don't think it's necessary to start widely expanding its scope. It's already a busy thread. Plus, nothing's stopping anyone from also clicking on the 11-30 Tallest Thread.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:26 PM
gettin' rich!

From Simcoe and Front.

Just now

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:46 PM
ARTchitecture

L Tower

Libeskind by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

ICE

Sisters by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Aura

SAM_0205 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:59 PM
gettin' rich!

In Toronto, eh?

Have a good time!!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:35 AM

Last edited by ue; Nov 17, 2022 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:47 AM

Pile drivers are at 10 York, a great way to start off the new year!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 9:30 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I would like to strongly disagree.

The only way I would feel okay about seeing Montréal or Vancouver on a skyscraper list for "tallest in the country" is if Canada's other mega-municipalities were experiencing slow construction cycles.

Both Vancouver and Montréal have a physical context that is worth protecting.
I've always found that viewpoint baffling. Skyscrapers are the palaces and castles of the 21st century. The truly great cities are the ones that marry their natural assets with man made wonders. Vancouver seems to have forgotten the last part and will never join the ranks of the world's great cities because it's built form just leaves one under whelmed. Montreal used to care about both.

A building only denigrates its surroundings if it's ugly. Buildings don't simply exist to fulfill a function, they're designed to be visually pleasing, lift our spirits, captivate us, etc. These are clearly people who see buildings/architecture as a necessary evil rather than things to admire/celebrate.

Montreal used to be a place that revered the skyscraper. I doubt Vancouver ever did. Now both seem to build them with reluctance and build them as short as possible in the hope that one might not notice their existence. Looks like Vancouver and Montreal will turn their backs on the skyscraper. They almost come off as cities that have given up on amounting to something grand. How sad!

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always found that viewpoint baffling. Skyscrapers are the palaces and castles of the 21st century.
If they are "castles" then there should be very few of them, for castles existed to house the head governing population of the aristocracy.

Quote:
The truly great cities are the ones that marry their natural assets with man made wonders. Vancouver seems to have forgotten the last part and will never join the ranks of the world's great cities because it's built form just leaves one under whelmed. Montreal used to care about both.
Height is not the absolute measure of architectural beauty and wonder. Not even close.

Both Montréal and Vancouver are recognised around the world for different reasons. I believe you are talking somewhat abstractly when you reference the "ranks of the world's great cities." If you'd like to provide a list of those cities (is Toronto included?), then I may be able to provide a list of negative aspects to every city you throw at me.

Height is not the absolute measure of municipal greatness.

Quote:
A building only denigrates its surroundings if it's ugly. Buildings don't simply exist to fulfill a function, they're designed to be visually pleasing, lift our spirits, captivate us, etc. These are clearly people who see buildings/architecture as a necessary evil rather than things to admire/celebrate.
And some people understand that worshipping skyscrapers doesn't mean compromising your natural settings.

I support supertall skyscrapers. I can comprehend, though, why they are inappropriate sometimes.

Aside from aesthetical reasons for approving or disapproving of high urban densities: are you completely certain that the density Toronto is building is both financially and environmentally sustainable?

Quote:
Montreal used to be a place that revered the skyscraper. I doubt Vancouver ever did. Now both seem to build them with reluctance and build them as short as possible in the hope that one might not notice their existence. Looks like Vancouver and Montreal will turn their backs on the skyscraper. They almost come off as cities that have given up on amounting to something grand. How sad!
Holy shit you place a lot of esteem in a building's height. There's so much more to a city than its skyline.

Just because Montréal and Vancouver have shorter skylines than Toronto, doesn't mean these cities are any less "grand." In fact: I prefer the former, when compared to Toronto, for their exquisitely established streetscapes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Well we can all agree that Toronto's streetscapes are not the best.

Downtown Toronto needs very much, bigger and wider sidewalks and higher end retail. But with the new condos, I assume at some point we will get this, just hope we don't have to wait too long.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:34 PM
I am the law!

Ryejay, you're leaving an impression that Toronto's development is uncontrolled which couldn't be further from the truth. We have a long, very public planning process. On top of that, many things such as art contibutions in Canada were adapted from Toronto policies. While Vancouverism has received international recognition and awards, so did the planning behind the St Lawrence neighbourhood in the 1980s.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:39 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Well we can all agree that Toronto's streetscapes are not the best.

Downtown Toronto needs very much, bigger and wider sidewalks and higher end retail. But with the new condos, I assume at some point we will get this, just hope we don't have to wait too long.
New condos do a very good job at streetfacing in Toronto. Toronto's streets are lacking in beautification but that's an easy remedy by comparison.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Looks like Vancouver and Montreal will turn their backs on the skyscraper. They almost come off as cities that have given up on amounting to something grand. How sad!
That's unfair, especially considering that Montreal is building more skyscrapers right now than in the past 30 years.

But towers are just one among many other elements that can make a city grand. The vast urban renewal programs in Montreal like the Quartier des spectacles or Griffintown, contribute much more to the city's general appearance than any super tall would. Montreal's public realms have also seen radical transformations (Square Dorchester, Place des Festivals, Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, Square Victoria) and they make Montreal looks as grand as it never did.

Toronto is building many grand towers, yes. But very few have any architectural merits. Also its public realms are very poor compare to Montreal's. Compare Dundas Square to Place des Festivals. Or compare the new Aquarium near the CN tower that looks like a Home Depot to Montreal's new Planeterium. Good architectural gestures are not always in the sky...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Toronto is building many grand towers, yes. But very few have any architectural merits. Also its public realms are very poor compare to Montreal's. Compare Dundas Square to Place des Festivals. Or compare the new Aquarium near the CN tower that looks like a Home Depot to Montreal's new Planeterium. Good architectural gestures are not always in the sky...
Wait, are you talking about the planetarium that looks like a couple of grain silos?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:42 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
That's unfair, especially considering that Montreal is building more skyscrapers right now than in the past 30 years.

But towers are just one among many other elements that can make a city grand. The vast urban renewal programs in Montreal like the Quartier des spectacles or Griffintown, contribute much more to the city's general appearance than any super tall would. Montreal's public realms have also seen radical transformations (Square Dorchester, Place des Festivals, Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, Square Victoria) and they make Montreal looks as grand as it never did.

I agree with you on the Aquarium, it would have looked better even if they had just clad the box in grey.

Photo Credit: me

A better head to head comparison for the Montreal Planetarium would likely be the Aga Khan Centre in Don Mills...

From Urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:47 PM
I am the law!

I think the aquarium turning out pretty good although expectation weren't that high being a private venture.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:54 PM
I am the law!

Urban renewals Cityplace, West Donlands, East Bayfront and, Regent Park add infinitely more to Toronto than a half dozen new tallests. There biggest contibutions may not even be the buildings/towers but the top quality, multi functional green space solely lacking in the downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada