HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:27 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:42 PM

...theres a little something hidden in there too
the gap between absolute towers and the main cluster, and then the main cluster and the high-rise to the far right will be significantly filled with new towers within the next 5-6 yrs.

via Jasonzed
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...41769/page-352

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:14 PM
ハルウララ

Mississauga 2018 & 2020

via Jasonzed at UT
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....25772/page-38

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:28 PM

In winter it looks like it could be Mississaugrad.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:29 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Just need all the towers to circle a steel mill for it to be Mississaugnetsk.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 2:52 AM

Surrey skyline

Brentwood on a foggy morning.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:15 AM
菠蘿油

It absolutely boggles my mind that Mississauga's new 'downtown' looks (at least from afar) like it could be the centre of a major city... and yet it has absolutely no rapid transit. If there was any sort of regional transportation planning that made any sense, there would be a rail line to serve all of that new development. But there isn't.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:25 AM

Except that the density drops very abruptly once you are out of the tower zone. Not even Calgary drops off that dramatically.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
It absolutely boggles my mind that Mississauga's new 'downtown' looks (at least from afar) like it could be the centre of a major city... and yet it has absolutely no rapid transit. If there was any sort of regional transportation planning that made any sense, there would be a rail line to serve all of that new development. But there isn't.
I mean there is an LRT line being built right now..

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Those Burnaby shots... holy shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Except that the density drops very abruptly once you are out of the tower zone. Not even Calgary drops off that dramatically.
Or any number of cities in Canada that drop off even more dramatically than Calgary. It's not an uncommon phenomenon.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:46 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I mean there is an LRT line being built right now..
Yeah, that is great and necessary, but it's local transit, not rapid transit. What I mean is that the kind of towers Mississauga is building reflect its role in a much larger urban region of 8 million people, and yet even with the new LRT there will be no truly efficient way to get by transit from downtown Mississauga to downtown Toronto or Yonge-Eglinton or North York or any of the other regional centres. Imagine La Défense without any metro or RER stations. Or Tokyo with no way to get between Shinjuku and Ikebukuro by train.

Vancouver is really leaps and bounds ahead of any other Canadian city in terms of TOD. There are no orphan clusters of skyscrapers going up in the suburbs. They're all built around SkyTrain stations.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 4:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Vancouver is really leaps and bounds ahead of any other Canadian city in terms of TOD. There are no orphan clusters of skyscrapers going up in the suburbs. They're all built around SkyTrain stations.
But on the other hand the urban core does not have very good transit and infill in much of the City of Vancouver has been severely limited. It certainly could be worse, but is the city actually better than it would have been had the Metrotown towers ended up around say Commercial or Renfrew? I think this is a pretty direct effect, development pressure getting pushed to the suburbs due to a lack of zoned space in the city. I'd understand it as more than just NIMBYism if outer East Van were historic or somehow of regional value or interest in its current form but it isn't.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 1:13 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

But on the other hand the urban core does not have very good transit and infill in much of the City of Vancouver has been severely limited. It certainly could be worse, but is the city actually better than it would have been had the Metrotown towers ended up around say Commercial or Renfrew? I think this is a pretty direct effect, development pressure getting pushed to the suburbs due to a lack of zoned space in the city. I'd understand it as more than just NIMBYism if outer East Van were historic or somehow of regional value or interest in its current form but it isn't.
Regardless of what may have influenced the development of Vancouver’s eight suburban town centres (i.e., Metrotown, Brentwood, Richmond, Edmonds, New Westminster, Surrey, Lougheed/Burquitlam and Coquitlam), the fact remains, as was correctly observed, they are all served by an integrated rapid rail transit line, connecting them directly to Vancouver’s downtown core.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 2:04 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Yeah, that is great and necessary, but it's local transit, not rapid transit. What I mean is that the kind of towers Mississauga is building reflect its role in a much larger urban region of 8 million people, and yet even with the new LRT there will be no truly efficient way to get by transit from downtown Mississauga to downtown Toronto or Yonge-Eglinton or North York or any of the other regional centres. Imagine La Défense without any metro or RER stations. Or Tokyo with no way to get between Shinjuku and Ikebukuro by train.

The difference is that downtown Mississauga isn't really a major employment hub (bar the mall and a few small office buildings), it's mostly a collection of condos. High density residential clusters are surprisingly bad trip generators, and in Mississauga's case I'd wager relatively few are headed to downtown Toronto or any of the other regional centres.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:12 PM

I'm sure that Klazu is sick of me spreading his photos around . But good photography must be shared and credited appropriately! Here's some that I found of Burnaby near Lougheed Town Centre (IIRC):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Foggy morning

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
or Mississibirsk. Or Missisaugutsk.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 10:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

North York

North York: Night-Day
by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Humber Bay & Mississauga

Toronto
by Zak Nuttall, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 4:01 AM

Wow just read 60 more towers just for Surrey!
And "several at 50 storeys or taller"
According to Daily Hive.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow just read 60 more towers just for Surrey!
And "several at 50 storeys or taller"
According to Daily Hive.
Are you talking about this article?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/down...elopments-2020

Surrey is really picking up the pace, and honestly, when these current approvals start getting under construction, Surrey is going to make a lot of SSP members blush. That's also not taking into account the Expo line extension into Langley, and the anticipated TOD that will be taking place along the Expo extension.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
There is BRT service by GO Transit along grade-separated transitway for regional trips. Mississauga City Centre is not quite on the same level as Shinjuku or Ikebukuro so train might be too ambitious.

Too much demand for parking in MCC is holding back new office development and prevent it from becoming a true downtown. The current office towers are a sea of parking, even with underground garages. Building new office towers just not economical due to amount of parking spaces needed. Mississauga still needs to get more people to take the bus to those office buildings instead of driving. Maybe with all the new condos being built all around, more office workers will be walking and cycling and free up parking lots for redevelopment.

But it will be a long process. Mississauga's local transit ridership (50 riders per capita) still below average compared to even London or Winnipeg (60-70 riders per capita). And the density is still not that high compared to real downtowns. Population of MCC still only 25,000 (edit: or 30,000+?). Probably should be 50,000 or 60,000 or something. Still many, many more condo towers need to be built.

Last edited by Doady; Jan 3, 2021 at 11:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada