Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:08 AM
Look at me!

Here's the evolution of the Montreal skyline, mid 80's---today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Circa 1983

Circa 2007
Those on-montrealers who can tell me the changes get a treat....

Nevertheless there has been improvement since the 60's......

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Nov 23, 2008 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:20 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Yeah definitely, the city has been studying the area for the last while and I believe the plan is a mixture of condos / and up to 1.7 million sqft of commercial space along with a new waterfront art gallery.
Yes, except for the area east of Abbott Street, which is supposed to become a park from what I've heard.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 6:34 PM

I appreciate the props... thanks for the positive comments about the future render.

I realized that since I "built" so many images for all the projects underway along the Toronto waterfront... I had done much of the work needed for what might be the ultimate future rendering... specifically, one that could be actually be viewed in a decade from now, without the benefit of a helicopter.

Those who know Toronto may be familiar with the views looking north to the city from Cherry Beach (located southeast of downtown). My pooch and I visit doggy beach there a few times a week and I often photograph the evolving skyline from this POV.

There are hundreds of photographs taken from the (former?) Docks nightclub and as just as many from Wards Island but very few from the Cherry Beach area, which is right between those 2 vantage points because the water's edge is fenced off... you'd have to be in a boat near the eastern gap or climb a fence for a clear, unobstructed view.

What you see to the west is basically a compressed version of the future render I posted... everything from WaterPark City and Cityplace to the central waterfront... PLUS... you see the skyline from the lake to Bloor Street and beyond.

So a future a render from this POV would offer up most of what you see in this render + the tallest marquee projects underway in the city... Trump, Bay Adelaide completed, Aura, 4 Seasons and 1 Bloor East + substantial projects like Murano/Burano, Uptown, Casa, X, Pure/Clear Spirits and eventually the towers of the East Bayfront.

If you climbed a tree or stood on the deck of the defunct Tor/Rochester ferry you would see all the way to Quantum at Yonge and Eglinton.

All this to say... I've started a render from this "ultimate" POV because a) half the elements are already built and b) it isn't a fantasy render at all... 90% of it will be projects underway and the result be "viewable" in some fashion from an existing vantage point.

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 9:41 PM
I am the law!

^C'mon, there's no beach/park/fields in the Portlands. It's all one big cesspool from the lake shore to Lake Shore.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 1:15 AM
gettin' rich!

Maldive, your still amazing!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Yes, except for the area east of Abbott Street, which is supposed to become a park from what I've heard.
They really don't need another park in that area. The seawall is right there and there are multiple parks/greenspace within walking distance. That land would be better utilized in some other form like office space.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:

^C'mon, there's no beach/park/fields in the Portlands. It's all one big cesspool from the lake shore to Lake Shore.
You and I both know that the swath of polluted crap (now home to the world's largest film soundstage BTW) stands between the city and... an urban water's edge paradise unmatched in North America.

Or maybe you don't have a dog. Or a windsurfer. Or a para-surfer.......

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 3:22 AM
MTL♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
With all the economic doom and gloom this fall, I thought I would send a postcard to amuse my fellow skyscraper geeks.

I couldn't find the original "future skyline" thread started a year ago, so I'll start a new one that others can contribute to if they wish.

WHY THE NEW TORONTO WATERFRONT RENDER: last year I did a
future render of Toronto's waterfront skyline that was well-received, but
after looking at it recently, I realized it was little more than blobs of light "to
scale" ... so I decided to try again with an aim to create much more photo-realism
for each and every building that is joining the waterfront skyline.

The rather dramatic impact of Maple Leaf Square and ICE Condos from the
waterfront POV really fueled the desire to do this render (along with waaaay
too much spare time). I've included a couple of new proposals that will
likely be delayed by the economic situation, but they don't add much to the
render anyway. The lion's share of the projects included are well underway.

THE PROJECTS KEY: there's bound to be some mistakes but the
heights, locations and status are pretty accurate.

HIGH ANGLE PIC: I included this for forumers who don't know the city or what's hiding behind the waterfront skyline
they may already know (most photographed). This high angle render hints at the "big Toronto skyline"...
5 or 6 miles of built form running north from Lake Ontario
(mostly invisible BEHIND the waterfront skyline).

REALLY BIG WATERFRONT RENDER: there's a LINK below to a very large render if you want to critique individual buildings
(most additions were based on the actual elevations when available).

Feel free to spam as many forums and threads as you deem appropriate with the renders.

And let me know what you think. It was fun to do.

Cheers.

-

-
PROJECTS KEY:

-
BEHIND THE WATERFRONT SKYLINE:

-
LINK TO LARGE RENDERING

did u draw these one by one? its pretty well done

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:05 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I love this stuff - thanks to all contributors.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:29 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
They really don't need another park in that area. The seawall is right there and there are multiple parks/greenspace within walking distance. That land would be better utilized in some other form like office space.
Hey, I'm just the messenger. Actually, there really aren't very many parks in the area worth the time. Andy Livingstone is mostly made up of artificial turf playing fields, I think they have a fence around it to keep people out. I can only think of Thornton Park, and the little area next to Science World. If it were up to me, I'd keep a third of the space, the area next to False Creek, as public space. The rest could be developed into tall enough buildings that could hide the Georgia Viaduct.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 2:36 PM

Quote:
did u draw these one by one?
Pretty much everything has been drawn from scratch. Even the main downtown cluster received some TLC to ensure a consistent "super-real HDR" kind of photorealism. I own a rights free photo that I used as the base "canvas" to ensure proper scale and location of existing buildings and new projects.... and then everything was added to that.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:37 PM

Shameless bump.

Rest assured if you guys aren't interested in this stuff enough to keep the thread alive, you won't be seeing this stuff again... not a threat, just a promise.

If you think I'm being petulant... try drawing something like this and watch the thread die in 2 days. Some kids think candy grows on trees.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Shameless bump.

Rest assured if you guys aren't interested in this stuff enough to keep the thread alive, you won't be seeing this stuff again... not a threat, just a promise.

If you think I'm being petulant... try drawing something like this and watch the thread die in 2 days. Some kids think candy grows on trees.
well, with a gun to my head, i say thank you and great work on the renderings!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Shameless bump.

You're being far too lenient. You should also forbid us from praising other future renderings; for they are false.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:59 PM

Why does 335 King West look shorter than 300 Front Street when it's supposed to be 20 metres taller?

Also, from that particular angle, shouldn't the RBC Centre appear almost directly behind Simcoe Place rather than next to it?

/keepin' the thread alive

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 8:15 PM
gettin' rich!

artistic licence.....

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:30 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

here is a future Kitchener skyline I submitted to the Waterloo Region photo section back in the spring:

The Centre Block Proposal is still slowly moving forward, but there are no shovels in the ground yet...
Arrow Lofts are also still creeping forwards, but no signifigant changes to report...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:23 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Please keep the thread alive !
I know Ctl-Alt-Del has a number of Calgary renderings we havn't seen here.
I also love the Montreal pictures from the 60's & 80's. Could we sneak "skyline progressions" (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, present) into this thread, or would we need to start another ? (skylines past, present, and future).
Thanks again Maldive.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Maldive, your renderings are so good, they leave one breathless, and unable to summon the correct words.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 3:53 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Is there a reason why it looks like all the development in Toronto's downtown is occurring to the west of the current cluster of towers? There doesn't seem to be much of anything being built towards the Don River.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada