HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:35 AM

Make that 41.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not sure what it was like in the pre-contact days, but it's pretty clear that the government policies of resettlement and forced assimilation through means such as residential schools would have had a massively disruptive effect on many Indigenous people.

You read the papers here and not a week goes by where you don't read a crime story involving some super-typical accused who does something atrocious and then at trial it is discovered that he was born with fetal alcohol syndrome, lived in foster care, was abused, etc. I'm sure that in most of those cases if you go back a generation or two you will probably find someone traumatized by residential schools who ended up drinking or whatever to cope.

(One thing I have always found curious about this, though, is that other ethnic groups have experienced large scale, long term trauma and haven't necessarily ended up in similar situations...)
That's a very uncomfortable question.

Though perhaps part of the answer lies in recent posts in the racism thread, where we talked about how for some people there seems to be a psychological difference between still being in a place where the bad stuff happened and which is your people's "home", and starting anew in a place with a totally clean slate.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:14 AM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm not sure what it was like in the pre-contact days, but it's pretty clear that the government policies of resettlement and forced assimilation through means such as residential schools would have had a massively disruptive effect on many Indigenous people.

You read the papers here and not a week goes by where you don't read a crime story involving some super-typical accused who does something atrocious and then at trial it is discovered that he was born with fetal alcohol syndrome, lived in foster care, was abused, etc. I'm sure that in most of those cases if you go back a generation or two you will probably find someone traumatized by residential schools who ended up drinking or whatever to cope.

(One thing I have always found curious about this, though, is that other ethnic groups have experienced large scale, long term trauma and haven't necessarily ended up in similar situations...)
I think it was the shattering of Indigenous families that proved absolutely so destructive.

People can survive trauma if they have someone else to lean on. Wars, famine and crushing poverty are all things humans have faced. The family provides the base of support and value in human life. I attribute the success of many immigrants to Canada to the family structures they imported with them.

Vietnamese Canadians survived the destruction of their home country that had been ravaged by war for decades. The values imparted through family allowed them to thrive in a hostile and foreign land - hard work, education and making the right choices in life. They've gone on to become one of the most successful immigrant groups in Canada.

There's so much that is learned through osmosis in life. Family provides that learning - the osmosis of one's values, how to participate in society and belief structure. By shattering family, there's none of that learning happening.

Which I don't think other Canadians understand. They just think a cheque should fix the problem. Uh, no. By totally upending generations of people, the trauma is passed down because the foundation of human life is shot. All the shoring up in the world won't fix a house that just had a bulldozer run through the foundation.

Fixing that foundation will take generations. Generations of work, patience, money, respect and time.

It's not going to be a quick fix. I'm reminded of JFK's inaugural speech: "All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days; nor in the life of this Administration; nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin."

We would be wise to adopt the same patience he tried to get Americans to adopt regarding peace.

Last edited by wave46; Nov 29, 2020 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:50 AM

Quote:

You bring up an interesting question. I too have thought about this. One thing I hear a lot of Natives here in Canada talk about is Genocide. While I understand they were mistreated I would never call what happened to them genocide. In my home country there certainly was genocide. Certain indigenous groups were targeted by the army and entire villages wiped out, massacred and thrown in mass graves. Hundreds of thousands of people were wiped out. I really think the term genocide in Canada is used to loosely. Yes they were treated wrongly here in Canada but I see society here actually trying to make amends here.

As far as why Natives here do poorly vs other groups I think it has to do with a sense of identity and the value you place on your own culture. I say that because I see it with some Latin Americans, in my own community. Latin Americans with strong Identities, and have a healthy image of their own cultures usually do well in life. Many mestizos that don't have a strong sense of identity and come from countries that have experienced a lot of political violence(el salvador for example, a mestizo country) suffer from many of the same problems Natives here in Canada do. Natives from Latin America, despite their lack of education are usually better behaved than their mestizo counterparts and don't have a reputation for violence, quite the opposite actually. I honestly think it has to do with their strong sense of identity. Many are still familair with their languages, traditons, foods and working with each other to survive, work and fend off racist latinos/mestizos.

IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
You bring up an interesting question. I too have thought about this. One thing I hear a lot of Natives here in Canada talk about is Genocide. While I understand they were mistreated I would never call what happened to them genocide. In my home country there certainly was genocide. Certain indigenous groups were targeted by the army and entire villages wiped out, massacred and thrown in mass graves. Hundreds of thousands of people were wiped out. I really think the term genocide in Canada is used to loosely. Yes they were treated wrongly here in Canada but I see society here actually trying to make amends here.
Well, the Prime Minister of Canada himself has said that the issue of missing and murdered indigenous women and girls (MMIWG) is "genocide".

Since I am a stickler for using the right word for things, I can only disagree with that. Genocide is the deliberate elimination of a group of people (often via murder) by another group of people. MMIWG is indeed horrible and scandalous, and the authorities who did not take the cases seriously need to be reprimanded and reformed or reinvented.

But when you consider the vast majority of perpetrators are indigenous males, it's a bit absurd to refer to this as a genocide.

Though if you add up everything that has been done to indigenous people in Canada since the 1600s-1700s, globally I think a decent case for the genocide definition could be made.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:51 AM

A decent case could be made but the foundation of that case would strictly rest on 1600s-1800s events, rendering it inapplicable today.

Similarly, our Acadian ancestors were kinda targets of a genocide too, but it would be ridiculous to see people of your social status and of mine scream with a straight face "help, I'm being genocided in this country!"

That was then, and this is now.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’m curious. What’s the historical root of this? I mean, had it been like this even before the Europeans came along?
Despite this false narrative propagated by Native leaders that before the "white man" arrived they spent their days communing with nature and singing Kumbaya, they were just as violent, murderous, and blood thirsty as their European counterparts.

Natives certainly have been subjected to horrific legal, political, economic, and social subjugation which cannot be ignored but the difference is that Natives have Reserves. The Reserve system allows them to be economically, politically, and socially isolated from the rest of the population which other ethnicities do not have the option of.

This has forced other ethnic and racial groups to adopt the wider Canadian socio-economic culture and work within it as opposed to being able to recoil from it. This is why Native Reserves are still run one their tribal feudal landlord system where the Chief rules with impunity, nepotism is rampant, and the society generally is very patriarchal.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:49 AM
I am a typical

Instead of posting the same racist tropes on here 24/7 why don't you actually meet some native people and develop your understanding a bit more? Not saying that your perspective is 100% wrong, but you're trying to bake a cake with only salt and flour here and it doesn't work that way.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
One thing I hear a lot of Natives here in Canada talk about is Genocide. While I understand they were mistreated I would never call what happened to them genocide.
IMHO.
Article II of the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide states:

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreven...20Genocide.pdf

This is just how the UN defines genocide. If you disagree with the UNs definition thats another thing.

Based on this definition, I think Canada committed genocide against indigenous people.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:01 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Article II of the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide states:

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreven...20Genocide.pdf

This is just how the UN defines genocide. If you disagree with the UNs definition thats another thing.

Based on this definition, I think Canada committed genocide against indigenous people.
Don't bother, it's well established further back in this thread (and a few others) that both Lio and Acajack don't consider that definition to apply to Canada.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Don't bother, it's well established further back in this thread (and a few others) that both Lio and Acajack don't consider that definition to apply to Canada.
Ben non vid. I've said many times on here that residential schools were a blatant attempt at cultural genocide. The MMIWG issue is not, even if it's still horrible.

Reading more carefully = always a good thing.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Oh, of course. Everyone agrees. I mean, FFS, that's not debatable, is it?

"You will do well to try to inoculate the Indians by means of blankets, as well as to try every other method that can serve to extirpate this execrable race. I should be very glad your scheme for hunting them down by dogs could take effect, but England is at too great a distance to think of that at present," wrote Amherst in a 1763 letter.

The relevant question though is: when's the last time we did such things? If the answer is "generations ago, and we don't do it any more" then we aren't committing genocide (note the present tense) against indigenous people.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Source?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Make that 41.
That is the same number of murders as last year which happened to be a record. Sadly, with a month to go in 2020 we will almost certainly set a new high this year.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
That is the same number of murders as last year which happened to be a record. Sadly, with a month to go in 2020 we will almost certainly set a new high this year.
I thought it was 44 last year? I hope we dont break anothe record. Its too high of a number as it is.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:28 PM

For Winnipeg (and likely the other prairie cities) 2019 and 2020 have been particularly violent, and it is partially a result of rampant meth addiction and the associated trafficking, combined with an overwhelming sense of despair felt by so many working class people, especially men. A very sick society and the country's decline in general is now palpable.

Making alcohol, especially beer, ridiculously expensive has increased the problem. Even adjusted for inflation the price of beer has roughly doubled since the late 80s.

Assuming that the final number for 2020 is 45, the same as last year, the number of murders has close to tripled compared with 1991-2000 average of 17, despite the population increasing by only 25% within the city limits. Except for 1969, the number of murders in every year during the 60s was in the single digits.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:23 PM

Our meth problems are truly horrific but they are not murders. If that was the case Vancouver would be our murder capitol.

Many more people are dying of meth but that is not only due to huge surge in the number of addicts but also due to COVID. Due to travel restrictions, dealers are finding it harder to get their "product" into the country and hence are lacing it with every toxic substance they can including rat poison.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
. Due to travel restrictions, dealers are finding it harder to get their "product" into the country and hence are lacing it with every toxic substance they can including rat poison.
Jesus christ. Drug dealers are pure filth.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Our meth problems are truly horrific but they are not murders. If that was the case Vancouver would be our murder capitol.

Many more people are dying of meth but that is not only due to huge surge in the number of addicts but also due to COVID. Due to travel restrictions, dealers are finding it harder to get their "product" into the country and hence are lacing it with every toxic substance they can including rat poison.
Why would you think Vancouver is worse with meth? It's impact is more pronounced on the prairies actually

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Jesus christ. Drug dealers are pure filth.
They're the scum of the earth. I've heard of them mixing Comet (kitchen cleaner) with cocaine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada