HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
For interest, I just looked into how much CO2 CN produces annually. I might have got it wrong, but I think it's about 5 million tons a year. That might sound like a lot, but with a $50/ton carbon tax, it's only $250M on a revenue of $15B, and they can pass it on to their customers anyway, and their competitors are trucks, who also have to pay the tax.

It's also less than a percent of Canada's emissions. Eventually, it will have to be reduced or offset, but it is not a priority. CN and CP will figure it out, all the government should do is give them predictable timelines and a level playing ground - carbon pricing.
Now compare that with VIA Rail, which had total GHG emissions of 146,212 tons CO2-equivalents, according to its 2019 Sustainability report, thus representing an annual tax payment of $7.3 million, assuming your $50/ton carbon tax. The main driver for sustainability in the intercity passenger rail industry of this country will continue to be a modal shift away from more pollutant modes much rather than electrification (which would be an expensive solution to a - in the scale of things - negligible problem)...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
From a dollar perspective, probably not, but it may happen anyway so that the government can look like they are putting their money where their mouth is. Not paying for electrification of HFR may come across as being hypocritical.
We'll see in a month or so, I guess.

I'm not sure electrification is a given just because of politics. The opportunity cost for $2B is substantial. Could pay for the Pearson-Kitchener-London extension.

Then again, they are trying to legislate a firm climate timetable. And they may like the optics of that. So....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Now compare that with VIA Rail, which had total GHG emissions of 146,212 tons CO2-equivalents, according to its 2019 Sustainability report, thus representing an annual tax payment of $7.3 million, assuming your $50/ton carbon tax. The main driver for sustainability in the intercity passenger rail industry of this country will continue to be a modal shift away from more pollutant modes much rather than electrification (which would be an expensive solution to a - in the scale of things - negligible problem)...
Do you know, how does VIA pay carbon prices? Does it just pay for diesel through commercial vendors in each province, paying the same as what everyone else does? Or does VIA have some special system, or exemption?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
We'll see in a month or so, I guess.

I'm not sure electrification is a given just because of politics. The opportunity cost for $2B is substantial. Could pay for the Pearson-Kitchener-London extension.

Then again, they are trying to legislate a firm climate timetable. And they may like the optics of that. So....
I think that Via electrification will not happen before the next election. I think GO will see electrification once RER is online.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:55 PM
BANNED

With HFR planned to make the Corridor profitable, what should Via do with the extra government meeny, providing it isn't cut?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 12:27 AM

VIA bringing back Vancouver to Winnipeg service. One round trip per week.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 1:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
VIA bringing back Vancouver to Winnipeg service. One round trip per week.
Did anyone notice it was gone?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Probably those who took it and didn't have a ride back...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
With HFR planned to make the Corridor profitable, what should Via do with the extra government meeny, providing it isn't cut?
Buy more trains.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainshumanist View Post
Buy more trains.
For the HFR or elsewhere?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 4:39 AM

^^ Just the Corridor. Burying trains for the rest of the country is just throwing away good money after bad.

Still, I don't think any of the Corridor routes will be electrified except the Corridor West sections to Kitchener and London which could run via battery while piggy-backing onto RER.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I don’t have ridership numbers but I recall reading last year something about them seeing a bit of a bump in ridership after Greyhound pulled out of Western Canada. How much of a bump that was, I don’t know.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Do you know, how does VIA pay carbon prices? Does it just pay for diesel through commercial vendors in each province, paying the same as what everyone else does? Or does VIA have some special system, or exemption?
I know when I have used the Canadian, in Saskatoon there is a Co-op diesel tanker truck waiting to top up the train engine. So they do buy it from the local suppliers along the line. No idea the contractual terms of if they have an exemption on taxes etc.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:01 PM

Wine-by-the-glass vending machines.

Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling

Big honour for Ottawa, selected by Via Rail to pilot new wine-by-the-glass vending machines in the business lounge: https://merx.com/public/solicitation...77166/abstract

4:38 PM · Jan 13, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...70918310035456

Here's what that could look like.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Wine-by-the-glass vending machines.
So looking forward to riding Business Class again in the corridor...and hopefully getting there on the OCEAN when this is all over

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:57 PM

Is there a separate law for VIA and the airlines that allows them to get around our parochial provincial liquor regulations?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:28 PM

Continuing the HFR/HSR discussion from the transit thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Like you, I think he ignores the political reality that we've been talking about HSR for half a century and done fuck-all.

So yeah. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.
At the end of the day, I understand and empathize with much of what you and other HFR proponents are saying regarding the political reality of the situation. Still don't like the fact that this is the best we can muster after many decades of deliberation.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I was just perusing some UK intercity rail pages on Wikipedia and it seems like their history is pretty similar to the HFR proposal in that other than HS1 which was prompted by the chunnel megaproject, the other railways are at most "higher speed" lines that are incrementally upgraded legacy routes that support speeds not much higher than proposed for VIA HFR. Both the East Coast Main Line (ECML) and the West Coast Main Line (WCML) seem to have top speeds of about 200km/h with that speed necessitating the use of tilting train technology on the WCML due to the curves.
Quick little note on HS1. I did a little digging into some of the investors VIA was in talks with for HFR, one of which was the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan (OTPP). It turns out they jointly purchased HS1 about 10 years ago with OMERS Worldwide. Had no idea. So rail investment would very much align with their portfolio. Question is, are they bullish enough on HFR to invest in it.

Quote:
I have to wonder if tilting technology (along with super-elevation) could increase the potential speed of VIA's routes without much more expensive and disruptive curve re-alignments?
I've wondered this too. Also, if they can't work in tandem, I wonder what would be the best option between superelevation and tilting trains regarding costs and performance.

Quote:
Yes the UK has nearly double Canada's population, but about 1/2 of Canada's population is within the corridor which is similar in length to the ECML and WCML. So that would make our frequent rail-viable population base roughly equivalent to a quarter of theirs (and of course they have two such mainlines averaging around 50-100km apart. Yet some people scoff at the idea that a similar quality of service could attract even 7 million riders/year to VIA's corridor service which would still only be 20% as much as that one service on the WCML. And while the UK does have higher car ownership costs, they're also the epicenter of low-cost discount airlines.
A few things about this. The 7 million riders was touted for the T-O-M section of corridor, which serves a population of about 12-13M. So that's roughly 18-19% of the UK's population, not quite 1/4. However, that actually doesn't have much to do with my reasoning to doubt the 7M figure.

If you've followed the HFR proposal over the years, you'd notice that much of the purported benefits and costs have significantly changed. Back when VIA was touting 7M riders, they were also touting a Tor-Ott run time of 2.5 hours (!!!) and project cost of $2.5B for just the infrastructure (excluding rolling stock and electrification). If 2.5 hours was actually the possible run-time, then 7 million riders would be far more believable. However, they've since changed the purported run-time to "as low as 3.25 hours" and increased the cost to $4B for just the infrastructure. Not to mention they seem to have dropped the 7M ridership figure for T-O-M and are now touting 9.9M for the entire corridor by 2030.

When you consider that and the rate of service and ridership growth over the years (that I broke down in my earlier post), I think my skepticism is warranted.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
At the end of the day, I understand and empathize with much of what you and other HFR proponents are saying regarding the political reality of the situation. Still don't like the fact that this is the best we can muster after many decades of deliberation.
I don't think anybody "likes it". But some of us see it as the path of least resistance. I really think that once HFR enters service, the public discussion and political support for intercity rail will change substantially. This is what has happened elsewhere with large rail projects.

Upgrades also become much easier. Increasing speeds on one segment (say Ottawa-Montreal) can be done in a single government term and mostly for less than what the baseline HFR will cost. I think we'll see the HFR corridor achieve HSR capability inside of 15 years after the launch of service.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:56 PM

HFR may indeed change the public, and hence political, climate to encourage a more robust passenger rail service but only if results in SIGNIFICANTLY faster travel times.

If the travel times drop from 25% to 40% on every route then the public's perception will change for the better. Conversely, if all it does is offer more trains with just better reliability but no meaningful decrease in travel times then any potential further government money for improved rail service will be seen as nothing more than throwing good money after bad.

Last edited by ssiguy; Feb 24, 2021 at 6:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada