HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:36 PM

What is it with Quebec? Every suburban area in the province seems to excel at incredibly ugly architecture and urban design. To me Quebec really does stand out as the worst of the provinces in this regard.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I've asked this question many times when driving by houses with connected driveways on either side or a tiny strip in between.

I've also asked, for townhouses that have actual lawns, where you keep the mower. Some of those garages are so laughably small I can't imagine how you can keep a decent sized car and things like a mower in there at the same time.

I know someone in townhouse that has the gas mower in the backyard in a small shed then a manual reel mower hanging in the garage for the front.
might as well have a weed eater to do the whole lawn. lol

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
What is it with Quebec? Every suburban area in the province seems to excel at incredibly ugly architecture and urban design. To me Quebec really does stand out as the worst of the provinces in this regard.
One of the thing I know is that in Quebec, there is almost no sidewalks in new residential neighborhoods. They are often only present close to schools, sometimes as an afterthought. I think one of the reasons why is because of winter. In Quebec, there is no law that requires owners to clear the snow in front or adjacent of their properties. They expect the city to do all the job.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Sanitary and storm services are likely placed in a common trench with the water.

Settlement occurs. If the service connections were made in winter, it is likely that settlement may be more severe.

It happens all the time. It will vary from location to location, but in the Edmonton region, the contractor/developer will have a walkthrough with the city 2 years after the neighbourhood servicing occurred and raise/lower the CC's as necessary to ensure everything meets municipal standards prior to the infrastructure being turned over form the developer to the city. Obviously lots that do not have a house built, or has one under construction, it gets skipped....but will still be tested for functionality.

We normally attempt to locate CC's in the yard, rather than the driveway, because the settlement is not as big of an issue. If a lot has street furniture on property line, such as a transformer, street light, hydrant, etc, it may have to be shifted under the driveway to provide clearance.
We are also deeper for the fluid lines so less trouble with freeze thaw.

Only issues we have now are the Data, Power and gas lines are less than a meter from the surface and are within fence post range.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I'm starting to think we actually need more red tape. Well particularly for monotonous stretches of housing like these two examples. Skyscrapers go through rigorous approvals. Well damn, we might have to start having every individual house be approved!

Where I grew up in Brampton, my neighbour's house was a replica, inside and out, of my cousin's house 15 minutes away. Different coloured bricks though. This is cool. What's not cool when it's the same house over and over again right beside each other! There are townhouse complexes with more variation than those.

Not crazy about the fact you can't see the front door from the street. Pet peeve of mine.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not crazy about the fact you can't see the front door from the street. Pet peeve of mine.
These type of houses are pretty much non existent in Quebec.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
These type of houses are pretty much non existent in Quebec.
I know. Our lot sizes are a bit bigger plus there isn't the obsession with a double garage on here, and the need to squeeze a house with one of those onto a 35 or 40-foot wide lot which is typical of new suburban areas in the GTA and Ottawa.

Most Quebec homebuyers are quite content with a single or 1.5 garage.

My street is about 10-15 years old and maybe only one in 10 houses or less has a double garage.

In newer suburbs in Ottawa you often can't even get a model that has anything less than a double garage.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
One of the thing I know is that in Quebec, there is almost no sidewalks in new residential neighborhoods. They are often only present close to schools, sometimes as an afterthought. I think one of the reasons why is because of winter. In Quebec, there is no law that requires owners to clear the snow in front or adjacent of their properties. They expect the city to do all the job.
Most suburban streets (built after 1980) in the rest of Canada don't have sidewalks either.

Generally the most residential lowest level streets will not. Then the neighbourhood arterials (where schools are and buses run) will have sidewalks on one or two sides.

And then major roads will have sidewalks too.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 2:29 AM

In Edmonton we have sidewalks on both sides of the street covering 90% of the city.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Timmins is exactly the same. Sidewalks don't exist on most streets built since the 1980s. We also don't have laws that makes us clear the snow and expectations are on the city.

Only about a third of our sidewalks have snow removal and our city council recently discussed doing fewer sidewalks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most suburban streets (built after 1980) in the rest of Canada don't have sidewalks either.

Generally the most residential lowest level streets will not. Then the neighbourhood arterials (where schools are and buses run) will have sidewalks on one or two sides.

And then major roads will have sidewalks too.
I wouldn’t say that. For the GTA you are more likely to have sidewalks the newer the area is. You rarely find streets without them built after 1980. My street is from the 1970’s and doesn’t have them, but a block down it turns to 1980’s houses and there is one, for example.

Many new subdivisions have sidewalks on both sides of the street, even in quiet residential areas.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 1:32 PM

Ya, I was going to say that. Unless I wasn't paying attention while driving through newer subdivisions, I'd guess 95% of suburbs from the 80s till now have sidewalks with most on both sides such as where I grew up.

Though there are many rich subdivisions where the big houses are well spread out where the norm I'd say is no sidewalks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:12 PM
DRINK

Just about every suburb around Edmonton has required sidewalks since my entry into this industry.

The only time its not required is on cul-de-sacs under a certain length where sidewalks are only required on one side.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:24 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Reading any book penned by the convicted bloviating walking thesaurus is soul sucking

theinfamouspeople

Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:40 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Real Canadian Soulsucking Store. That dingy overhanging area (usually filled with shitty barbecues, picnic coolers, leaf bags, and clearance dreck) is utterly soul-sucking

Come and get your soul sucked by the Bread-price Baron.

torontoist
Molson, I'm dying
It's a good thing I didn't have a drink in my mouth at the time of reading that

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:40 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Reading any book penned by the convicted bloviating walking thesaurus is soul sucking

theinfamouspeople

Video Link

Yes, bloviating blowhard barons are soul sucking. As are boat-killing assturds who play Billionaires on tv:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^what a fucking jackass. Look at the way he is bridging his fingers, like some phony intellectual. Mr Wonderful, indeed. Of course he got off scot-free when his boat killed 2 people.

Quote:
At some point after the O’Learys arrived home—the exact timeline has not yet been made public—their son, Trevor, called 911. Soon after that, still in the early hours of Sunday morning, Constable Michelle Ingham of the West Parry Sound OPP arrived at the O’Leary cottage. Ingham smelled alcohol on Linda’s breath. On its surface, the case might have appeared open and shut: a man was dead, a woman was in critical condition and the driver of the other boat had alcohol on her breath. But in Ontario, an officer must have evidence of a blood-alcohol concentration over 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood to test further and pursue a DUI. Using the same device police use for roadside stops, Linda blew an “alert,” indicating a blood alcohol concentration of between 50 and 80, high enough to trigger an immediate three-day driving suspension—applicable for both road vehicles and boats—but not enough to warrant a drunk-driving charge. (Officers can in some cases pursue that charge when an alert is combined with signs of impairment—slurred speech, red eyes, stumbling and the like.) When Ingham asked Linda what she’d had to drink, Linda explained she’d been served “a vodka drink” following the crash, after arriving at the dock.
Quote:
Calvin Barry is a prominent Toronto defence lawyer with decades spent representing people charged with drunk-driving offences. Clients regularly call him when they’ve been behind the wheel in a car accident, often where alcohol is involved, to strategize before the police arrive. Drinking alcohol immediately after an accident, he says, makes it extremely difficult for a toxicologist to determine the crucial question of what booze was consumed when. The loophole, which Barry stresses he does not exploit, is often referred to as the “intervening drink defence.”
https://torontolife.com/city/life/wh...sh-in-muskoka/

ah yes, she had the drink after the crash.

Just like Timothy Best's (husband of then mayor of London, AM DeCicco-Worst) wild drunken pickup truck ride, slamming into at least two vehicles, where he then fled police on foot and apparently downed a bottle of vodka out in the woods. yeah, right.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/husband...-jail-1.623695
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Dec 2, 2020 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 6:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

expandasigncanada.

signshopbrantford

Oh look, a poutine dohnut from Rims

whatever Rims. You sold your soul to Brazil [wretched 3-G Capital] years ago.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:20 PM

Mr. Wonderful is a critter of the highest order. Have you ever seen his interview when he vowed as a teenager that he was never going to work for anyone ever again in his world when he was forced as a teenager to not only scoop ice cream but also clean the crap off the floor in the ice cream parlour.

His whole schtick is annoying. Another thing that bugs me is his inability to speak french despite being born in Montreal and living there for years. And then after committing to running for Parliament he suddenly realize that his inability to properly speak french could hurt his chances in Quebec. Wow what a smart guy

I'm sure he was the one driving that boat and he was probably half cut and he dropped his wife into it.

Not sure who bugs me more on Dragons Den..Mr Wonderful or Manjit Minhas, purveyor of swill beer, cheap knock off booze and overall dismissive entrepreneur

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Many a job I had as a youngster had me scraping gum off the floor, and much worse (cleaning toilets at McDs, cleaning vomit as a bartender, etc.).

Gross of course, but whatever. In my previous career (retail management) I fired many employees that refused "to do floors". Fuck you, you are gone, get outta my store!

The Boston pizza dude bothers me too. What a genius: convincing Canadians to buy Swanson frozen dinners at a restaurant. Nearly every thing is precooked and frozen at Boston Pizza. Overpriced, lousy food.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada