HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:09 PM
I am the law!

The Rockefeller Center has the best public viewing experience I've experienced. $30 average for these places ... not really worth it. I'd rather spend $100/person at any of the growing list of penthouse restaurants in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The Rockefeller Center has the best public viewing experience I've experienced. $30 average for these places ... not really worth it. I'd rather spend $100/person at any of the growing list of penthouse restaurants in Toronto.
Less accessible and not everybody wants to do the dining thing. At least the CN Tower offers both.

Last edited by ue; Nov 21, 2020 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:29 PM
I am the law!

I don't do fine dining.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Toronto really needs another public observatory that can better show this growing girth to the skyline. There really is just the CN Tower. The city needs something like the Top of the Rock or John Hancock Center, a bit removed from the main core to give a good vantage point, while showing a view that includes the most iconic building itself, like the Sears Tower, Empire State Building, and the CN Tower. Something in Yorkville or College Park atop the towers already going up, or perhaps something off in Corktown or Regent Park.
The 1200 Bay Street proposal featured a restaurant space at the top, which would probably offer even greater views than the CN Tower’s own observation level. Our unofficial second observation deck has been the One Eighty (Manulife Centre) - though the views will become increasingly obstructed in the coming years.

I really don’t think there is demand in Toronto to sustain second dedicated observatory, unless it included a restaurant or venue space of some sorts - but those are catered to locals.

From a tourism perspective, I don’t think Toronto is known for having an impressive or iconic cityscape that demands to be viewed in the same light as New York or Chicago. NYC will soon have 5 dedicated observation decks, which is a feat on its own.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 4:10 AM

I hadn't actually thought about that until you guys mentioned it. What is prohibiting this from happening?

I went up to Rockefeller because I heard the view was better than Empire and I wasn't disappointed. I did the day and night pass. Spent an hour up there. Also been up in Ottawa, Montreal, Niagara, Pittsburgh and Chicago along with some smaller places, including college campuses. Really wanted to try Philly, Buffalo and Detroit but those aren't open on weekends. And I kind of regret not doing it for Cincinnati last year.

You could put me up 5 storeys in an open desert and I'd be impressed.

Doesn't have to be purposely built observation deck. Just a top level you can walk around in or on. Outside like Rockfeller or inside like Place Ville Marie, which I did last year. You only need like 3 employees, no? I remember at PVM it was someone at the desk taking the money and two people sitting on chairs at the top.

Pittsburgh's was the Cathedral of Learning on the campus of Pitt. There was no one taking tickets or anything like that because it's actually a proper campus facility complete with classrooms, labs and offices. I can't imagine there's many other schools around the world with a taller building on their campus.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 4:26 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

This one in Tokyo: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=45855

Tokyo Mode Gakuen Coccoon Tower - 203 metres, 50 floors

Also, Main Building of Moscow State University - 235 metres spire and 183 metres roof, 36 floors: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=182

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I can't imagine there's many other schools around the world with a taller building on their campus.

Last edited by koops65; Nov 21, 2020 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:16 AM

Tokyo is a beast.....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
The 1200 Bay Street proposal featured a restaurant space at the top, which would probably offer even greater views than the CN Tower’s own observation level. Our unofficial second observation deck has been the One Eighty (Manulife Centre) - though the views will become increasingly obstructed in the coming years.

I really don’t think there is demand in Toronto to sustain second dedicated observatory, unless it included a restaurant or venue space of some sorts - but those are catered to locals.

From a tourism perspective, I don’t think Toronto is known for having an impressive or iconic cityscape that demands to be viewed in the same light as New York or Chicago. NYC will soon have 5 dedicated observation decks, which is a feat on its own.
It doesn't have to be a CN Tower style purpose built observation deck. Seattle has a second observatory that's just a floor in the Columbia Center, which is both cheaper and arguably has better views of Downtown Seattle than the Space Needle.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
It doesn't have to be a CN Tower style purpose built observation deck. Seattle has a second observatory that's just a floor in the Columbia Center, which is both cheaper and arguably has better views of Downtown Seattle than the Space Needle.
By purpose built, I meant a dedicated space that sells tickets and admissions.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:45 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
My earlier post should have said that "I added more than 5 dozen proposals and under-construction" (not 3 dozen)… after I actually tried to count them. In addition to everything built, about 3 dozen of the towers in the render are under construction, including Canada's first two super-talls. Not too shabby.

At the bottom is the base photo (zoomed in) which I used to position the towers. I think we shot this in 2005 or 2006.

That is incredible - Wow !

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:25 AM

Recent skyline updates for Hamilton, London, and Windsor.

Hamilton, ON:

Total # of new towers in skyline: 55

Hamilton Watermarked V7-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V7-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London, ON:

Total # of new towers in skyline: 32

London Watermarked V5-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-6 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Windsor, ON:

Total # of new towers in skyline: 8

Windsor Watermarked V2-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Windsor Watermarked V2-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Windsor Watermarked V2-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Jan 1, 2021 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:06 PM
I am the law!

The CN Tower observation deck is too high. I prefer a view closer to the action even if the view of Markham, Ont is blocked.

-New York City is New York City. People may mix up identifying buildings but, they know the names of them.

-Observation decks are more popular in Asia maybe because skyscrapers/ skylines are still relatively new concepts.

-Much of the recent observation deck boom in the United States is attributed to high vacancies above 20% for many years.

-There have been a few tall office towers with more underway in Toronto. This is still a residential condo boom. Public observation would be a logistical nightmare for these developments.

-There's a higher risk in Toronto of a taller development being built making the views irrelevant. I've seen some amazing sight lines from recent mixed use developments with penthouse restaurants/amenities but, those views will certainly be gone in 5 to 10 years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:09 PM
I am the law!

What are the chances Windsor builds half of these? I guess the same applies to Hamilton (55!) and London (32!).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:55 PM

each city has a mix of respectable and basically 0 chance proposals.

For Hamilton, probably 40 or so of them are serious and fairly likely to be built at some point over the next decade, and another 15 are either backed by questionable developers, not (yet) serious proposals, or otherwise. 9 of them are under construction right now by my count, with probably 5 more either due to start in the next 6-12 months or currently seeing demolition on site.

Hamilton seems poised to be the next Waterloo with a major streak of intensification over the next decade. The population growth rate and investment rate has been slowly creeping up over the last few years and it seems to finally be translating to significant amounts of new construction.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:58 PM
ハルウララ

That baseball field in London will have a great outfield view if those proposals are actually built.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 10:00 PM
I am the law!

Much appreciated

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:36 PM

Here's an expanded graphic featuring Toronto's future Downtown Core that highlights buildings over 100 metres in height.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:41 PM

Thanks for all those Hamilton, London, & Windsor pics ericmacm!!

I know for the downtown London shots, 2 of those buildings are done, 4 are already well under construction, and 3 more are in site prep.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:37 PM

A rather astonishing/ambitious (massing) model of Vaughn's future high-rise transformation, photographed in the Festival Condos showroom (eventually 4 towers up to 59s).

I guess somewhere in this forest would be CG Tower u/c @ 189m (60s), Transit City Condos: TC4 & TC5 u/c @ 174.5m (50s) and TC 6 Phase 6 still working through approvals, Vaughn’s tallest at 206 metres (64s).

DarkSideDenizen

DarkSideDenizen

Bonus: Transit City's “Central Park”

UT

Last edited by Maldive; Dec 9, 2020 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:22 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

240 Adelaide W:

[IMG][/IMG]

Zoomed out:

[IMG][/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada