HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I went to Sunny Isles Beach/Pompano Beach a couple of winters in a row and I never bothered with the Panthers because BB&T Center was just so damn far. If the Jets were playing I might have done it, but I wasn't going to drive nearly an hour each way to go watch the Hurricanes or whoever.

It's the same thing in Phoenix, the rink is really really far from where the vacationing Canadians tend to gravitate.
Part of the allure for my friend (and others I've heard from who aren't as regular as he is, but have gone on occasion) is it's so cheap. At least compared to the price of attending an NHL game in Ottawa or Montreal.

Tickets for 20-25 bucks and in some cases even cheaper than that.

I don't think these fans are the bread and butter for the teams, but they do add a fair bit of gravy on what are usually pretty slim pickings.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:02 PM
ハルウララ

If you want to go to a cheap NHL game just go to games in Kanata. I've gone four or five times and never spent more than $25 on tickets.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If you want to go to a cheap NHL game just go to games in Kanata. I've gone four or five times and never spent more than $25 on tickets.
That is mind blowing... that's how much I pay to go watch WHL games. OK, maybe it was like $22, but still.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Four tickets, four hot dogs, four popcorns, four pops for 100 bucks (even if it's USD) isn't something you're gonna see at a Canadian NHL rink.

Plus free (unofficial) parking at the giant mall across the road. IIRC it's Sawgrass Mills.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Four tickets, four hot dogs, four popcorns, four pops for 100 bucks (even if it's USD) isn't something you're gonna see at a Canadian NHL rink.

Plus free (unofficial) parking at the giant mall across the road. IIRC it's Sawgrass Mills.
When I went to a Panthers game in 2009 vs Leafs the parking lot was free. I paid $19 at the box office for a face value ticket of $55. Not sure how they came up with $55 face for an upper bowl ticket.

I have been to that mall a few times too as my aunt and cousins live 10 minutes away.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:50 PM
Community Guy

$15 parking
$130 x 4 for upper bowl
$9 x 4 hotdogs
$7 popcorn to share
$13 beer x 4

=$630 for a pretty basic family NHL game night out.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
That is mind blowing... that's how much I pay to go watch WHL games. OK, maybe it was like $22, but still.
Most Sens games i've gone to have been with free tickets.
  • Pay $20-30 for parking
  • Get free tickets in nosebleeds
  • Wait for game to start
  • Find empty seats in lower bowl
Pretty simple stuff.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:46 PM

Kanata Centre? You mean the ACC East? They had threaten season ticket holders with termination if they were caught selling to Leafs fans. Buffalo can be even worse sometimes.

Imagine if Hamilton were to get a team?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:21 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Kanata Centre? You mean the ACC East? They had threaten season ticket holders with termination if they were caught selling to Leafs fans. Buffalo can be even worse sometimes.

Imagine if Hamilton were to get a team?
Like when the Wild had someone sing O Canada in French in order to prevent the Jets’ thunderous True North! shout from overwhelming their arena. Didn’t work ... but nice try.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
I went to Sunny Isles Beach/Pompano Beach a couple of winters in a row and I never bothered with the Panthers because BB&T Center was just so damn far. If the Jets were playing I might have done it, but I wasn't going to drive nearly an hour each way to go watch the Hurricanes or whoever.

It's the same thing in Phoenix, the rink is really really far from where the vacationing Canadians tend to gravitate.
I think their arena is in a terrible location. 30 miles on shitty freeways from downtown Miami. Maybe it's like Acajack says and that's more of a hockey market up there, but the evidence has been lacking in 20+ seasons out there at Sawgrass Mills. It's even 15 or so miles from downtown Ft Lauderdale. Short of Broward throwing the money at them first, I don't see why they wouldn't have partnered up with the Heat to stay in downtown Miami.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

25 years ago tomorrow, this happened. I watched it live and remember it vividly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhccqx2s-tM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:38 PM
Community Guy

Moi aussi. Classic

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Just in case people don't know, the guy in the suit sitting right behind the bench (face partly hidden by a hockey stick) that Patrick Roy also briefly chews out is Ronald Corey, President of the Montreal Canadiens.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:57 PM
arf

Quote:
25 years ago tomorrow, this happened. I watched it live and remember it vividly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhccqx2s-tM
Je me souviens.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Just in case people don't know, the guy in the suit sitting right behind the bench (face partly hidden by a hockey stick) that Patrick Roy also briefly chews out is Ronald Corey, President of the Montreal Canadiens.
I remember that moment quit clearly. The look on Corey's face, Classic!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Because the viability of the sport and its existence at a professional level depends on it. Without American expansion in the 60s-onwards the NHL today would simply be a minor-league organization akin to the NLL, CFL, or other niche sports in North America. Yeah, the NHL was always going to have the Bostons and Detroits and Chicagos, but without future growth in new and upcoming markets the NHL simply doesn't grow and expand like it has over the past half century. Perhaps you'd rather the NHL stayed as a strictly regional, niche sport but it's always had more potential than that. NHL fans need to only look towards the CFL as what could have been if expansion and growth didn't work out, or if the NHL had remained as a strictly Canadian league.
Except if it were like the CFL it'd be getting about 5-10 times the revenue. Wouldn't be a sport that is only followed in 3 provinces and wouldn't be 2nd tier to a much bigger league.

This is where the absurdity of your argument stems from.

As if it'd be horrible if the NHL made most of it's money from HNIC, if the ticket prices were only half of what they are, and horrible if every major city in the country had a team. Add to that you wouldn't have so many hyper elite camps for 7 years old if it weren't so focused on money.

You'd rather sacrifice our only true cultural icon/national sport, for people who don't play the sport or have any interest in it. Even more bizarrely you take if for granted that putting a team in a desert will grow a sport, and ignore the consequences of undeserving a market.

There's a certain wreak of submissiveness that never gets old. A sports league is suppose to be about those irrational feels that have no place in regular day life. Instead of having a developed sense of this, Canadian's are proud of the fact that our culture is so heavily focused on bending over.

I'm probably more down with Americans than most Canadians, yet the biggest difference between us and them is that they'd never tolerate submission to a league that has zero interest in representing the people.

Canadian's are submissive to a system that offers nothing nothing in return and yet continually takes.

Quote:
I appreciate your sentiment but, as you noted, this isn't how franchise-based sports leagues operate. Franchises don't really care about love or feeling, they care about money.
Except 100 percent of their money comes from feelings and love.

Quote:
If you want to watch hockey at a level of love for the game i'd recommend the CHL (and I know you're up on that, anyway). That level is far more grassroots and loving of the sport than anything else you're likely to find in Canada. It's hockey in a more pure form than the NHL, certainly.
The biggest problem is it isn't really national, it's a regional league. That might be great if all your family is connected to the same region of the country, but if you're like a lot of us, it means your uncles team and brothers team will never be in the same room.

The CHL would be a viable thing if it was 1 league of 30/20 teams.

Instead you have something like 50, in places I've never heard of, been to, or even saw on a map. More daming is the discrepancy in draft picks between teams. Some cities are really good at producing NHL draft picks, while more than a few produce nothing.

Being from Newfoundland exaggerates this even further. The league is too mickey mouse to have a team in St John's. Even if it did, competing with Acadie Bathurst just seems like a bad joke.

But Yes overall I'm torn between following the London Knights and the Winnipeg Jets. I like the OHL quite a bit, if it weren't for covid I'd probably be going to more than a few games.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Dec 3, 2020 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The problem with most US NHL markets is that once a team stinks, the fans bail quickly.

It doesn't matter if the team recently won a cup or had a long stretch of winning, once they're bad - it doesn't take long at all for fans to abandon them. It's not just the non-traditional markets either.
It's called competition, which is exactly why Canadian teams are a much safer bet.

The NHL has a monopoly on Canadian sports, and they do everything to prove why A) They don't have to please us B) Why it is so much easier to make money off Canadian teams.

The entire strategy of the last 30 years has been based around getting that big us tv contract. This meant playing the league off the big 3 for 30 years. Now the league is falling behind on almost every front.

Sounds like this season is about to be called off.

So we're gonna have close to 2 years without a full season.

Even when they did play the TV ratings stunk.

Add to that the next US TV deal is around the corner, they're gonna have no bargaining power.

The NHLPA and Owners are at eachothers throats now that they've just lost a massive chunk of money. Which raises the potential for future lockouts or alternatively, owners that are loosing money.

Seattle has become the biggest loser in sports history. Every dollar of that $650 million has been absurd in covering the expenses of the last year. Now the league is getting nothing in return for that money, and Seattle has bought into a league that has lost half its value.

They bought into the brand based on the leagues structured, future tv contracts, stability of the owners, revenue sharing etc.

Now everything that this bubble has been built around is crumbling.

2 years without southern hockey means there gonna be bleeding fans in places like Tampa, not to mention all the snowbirds who've given up on Florida because of covid.

Meanwhile the Big 3 seemed to have pulled ahead and have pushed the NHL out of the picture.

Everything about the big sports boom of the last 20 years has been based on bubbles.

Now we have major uncertainty in all directions.

The league is built on corporate box sales, and billionaires operating at huge loss with the speculative value of big tv contracts and higher valuations for franchises.

It's a circular bubble and it looks like it is popping from every angle.

And here's the kicker if we had this conversation a year ago, there'd be a 100 percent agreement that something like this would smash that bubble.

When the scenario we thought couldn't happen occurs people are trying to move the goal posts.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Hard to believe we're only 6 weeks away from the proposed season start date.

The logistics of this are weird, usually training camps are two-ish weeks, but are they really going to run right through Christmas? Either way, we're barely 3 weeks away from the start of training camp... are the players outside Canada playing for Canadian teams going to have to report early to start their two week quarantine? I wonder when we'll hear about schedules? I presume in person fan attendance is out the window given the general state of affairs in North America?
This might be old news but I'm pretty sure the season has been called off.

Would of been amazing, got family in every time zone, we zoom call regularly would of been great having a hnic call with people living in every city with a team.

To be honest Im pretty miserable about the whole thing. Winter has struck London, the post christmas new year seems like it's gonna be incredibly bleak. We've all spent the last 12 months in winter mode, the next 6 is gonna be a complete hell.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
This might be old news but I'm pretty sure the season has been called off.
That's very old news, from February of 2005.

Maybe check the dates on the articles you are reading, so you don't get confused.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
That's very old news, from February of 2005.

Maybe check the dates on the articles you are reading, so you don't get confused.
Not sure if you're kidding but pushing the start of the season past the beginning of January squashes it all against the Olympics in July. It seems super unlikely it's coming back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada