HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Below: Another view of the Y.M.C.A. along with the California Bank Building at Fort (now Broadway) and 2nd Street in 1899

usc digital archive
This is the best view of this corner I've ever seen. Ethereal, you definitely have a knack for finding great images! I really liked that photo of Figueroa and First you posted yesterday, too. Keep 'em coming! I hope this thread goes on forever.

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:36 AM

Thanks Scott.....you're always very kind to show your appreciation.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Below: Y.M.C.A. at 207 Fort St.

usc digital archive
Intrigued by "We Sell the Earth" over the entrance, I came up with this ad for the real-estate firm Bassett & Smith--scroll down--the publication itself is fun to look at.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0Wc...0earth&f=false

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 2:05 AM

Quote:
(it's been awhile since I lived in L.A.)......but isn't Fairfax High School also in this area?
Yes it is, on Fairfax and Melrose. Unlike Los Angeles High School, it looks like they kept one older building, which I will guess is an auditorium or something.

Great pics btw, ethereal! I really like that map, too!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 2:32 AM

I've been burning cds tonight, and this pic caught my eye.
I guess I've had Pomona on my mind since viewing sopas_ej's excellent photos from yesterday.

Below: Pomona High School 1902.

usc digital archive

What a proud and soaring building.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:22 AM

Another beautiful example of scholastic architecture.

usc digital archive

Above: Clearwater (later Paramount) School.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:37 AM

Below: Hotel Palomares in Pomona.

usc digital archive

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:55 AM

ethereal, those pictures of the downtown YMCA remind me of another building near my home -- one of my favorite buildings in Los Angeles, and relevant to your post because it's a former YWCA. I was surprised to see that one of my favorite blogs, Big Orange Landmarks, did a profile of it and I didn't even know!

Mary Andrews Clark Residence

As Floyd B. Bariscale points out, the building is so large, it's hard to capture in a photograph. So here's the bird's eye view from Bing:

The building has appeared in countless movies, and portrayed a mental hospital in at least two that I know of: "Changeling" starring Angelina Jolie, and "The Ring 2" starring Naomi Watts.

A commenter at B.O.L. even posted the building's old phone number! HU 3-5780

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:05 PM

ethereal, great pics of those old school buildings. And the YMCA has a sign that says Los Angeles Conservatory of Music & Art; did it really have a music school there, I wonder?

Johnny Socko, that's cool info about the Mary Andrews Clark Residence; I've driven by that building many times and have always liked it, but never knew what it was.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 6:46 PM

Aliso Street viaduct, early 1950s

USC archive

This of course is now the 101 freeway headed west into the LA Civic Center/downtown LA area. This photo really puts things into perspective for me, on how huge those gas storage tanks were. They look like they dominate the skyline. It's funny to me that those tanks basically were like a gateway into downtown when approaching from this route; I always associated the City Hall and the skyscraper skyline as being the visual focal point when headed this way. This would make a great "then" for a then and now. Looking at the lamp posts on the Aliso St. viaduct, I think it's a shame they couldn't have kept the old twin-pendant street lamps. This picture was also taken not too long after the Pacific Electric streetcar was abandoned through this area; you can see the curved right-of-way along the bottom left corner of the photo; the poles that held the trolley wires are still standing too at this point in time.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Dec 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 8:07 PM

Old Plaza Firehouse, early 1950s

USC archive

This picture fascinates me, not only for its run-down, film noirish qualities, but also for the fact that the old late 19th Century firehouse at this point became a dumpy cafe. Talk about adaptive reuse! It was always my assumption that this building used to be a firehouse, and was just later abandoned (and of course is now a museum). But in fact, the old Plaza area was still a living, working part of town. I like the Plaza today for the fact that it's where the city of LA began, and that it's all fixed up, but now, it just has that museum look to it, artificially frozen in time, apart from Olvera Street (which isn't what it once was either).

Compare the above photo with this:

LAPL

And this:
Today

inetours.com

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Aliso Street viaduct, early 1950s

USC archive

This of course is now the 101 freeway headed west into the LA Civic Center/downtown LA area. This photo really puts things into perspective for me, on how huge those gas storage tanks were. They look like they dominate the skyline. It's funny to me that those tanks basically were like a gateway into downtown when approaching from this route; I always associated the City Hall and the skyscraper skyline as being the visual focal point when headed this way. This would make a great "then" for a then and now. Looking at the lamp posts on the Aliso St. viaduct, I think it's a shame they couldn't have kept the old twin-pendant street lamps. This picture was also taken not too long after the Pacific Electric streetcar was abandoned through this area; you can see the curved right-of-way along the bottom left corner of the photo; the poles that held the trolley wires are still standing too at this point in time.
That was indeed a fantastic photo from a perspective I had never seen before. I agree 100% with everything you said -- this was not at all the "grand entrance" to downtown that people my age are familiar with.

And what a coincidence it was to see that abandoned PE right-of-way. Minutes ago, I finished reading this book, which was an early Christmas present from my wonderful wife. It's chock full of amazing pictures, including the very last LARY streetcar entering the railyard after its final run in 1963. A very informative book, but very sad.

(My wife also got me this book and this book. I can't wait to dive in!)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 4:27 PM

Wonderful wife indeed, Johnny!

I have this book too. Needless to say I've looked at it and have read it to death.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 7:51 PM

sopas-ej I loved the comparison photos of the Plaza Fire house.

I have a couple to add to your collection.

Below: Plaza Fire House 1888.

usc digital archive

Below: Plaza Fire House 1920.

usc digital archive

Below is the great 1951 photograph posted by sopas-ej. 30 years later than the above photo.

usc digital archive

Above: If you look closely, you can make out the 'ghost' sign for the 'Cosmopolitan Saloon' on the side of the building.
It's great how one photograph can lead to discoveries in another. Thx again sopas-ej.

It's also interesting how the 1951 is very 'noir' looking, while the 1920 photo isn't (to me anyway).
The 1920's photo seems more 'frontier' or 'western'.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Socko View Post
That was indeed a fantastic photo from a perspective I had never seen before. I agree 100% with everything you said -- this was not at all the "grand entrance" to downtown that people my age are familiar with.
The tanks actually were quite a grand/impressive entrance to the city, just not a very attractive one. In our post-9/11 world, though, I'm glad they're gone now. They'd be way too tempting as a terrorist target today, that's for sure...

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:18 AM

ethereal those are great photos of the Plaza Fire House! I agree with you, the 1920 photo doesn't look noirish to me either. I wonder how long the fire house was an actual working fire house, since by 1920 it was already a saloon, hotel and cigar store. Very interesting!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
The tanks actually were quite a grand/impressive entrance to the city, just not a very attractive one. In our post-9/11 world, though, I'm glad they're gone now. They'd be way too tempting as a terrorist target today, that's for sure...
You wouldn't even need a deliberate act to result in a disaster, as seen in the Pittsburgh Gasometer Explosion. I remember reading about this in "The Book of Lists" as a kid.

I found an interesting post on LA's gas tanks in BlogDowntown, which also references the Pittsburgh disaster.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 12:10 AM

This photograph is looking north on Spring Street from between 8th & 9th Street in 1939.

usc digital archive

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 12:15 AM

Christmas noir

usc digital archive

Above: Facing north on South Broadway at West 7th Street.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 4:34 PM

Quote:
This photograph is looking north on Spring Street from between 8th & 9th Street in 1939.

usc digital archive

Here's another view of the southern intersection of Spring and Main Streets (the northern intersection of Spring and Main being Temple Square - was there ever a name for this "square," too?)

USC Digital Library

Anyway, what I really like about this photo was my unexpected discovery of the store in the extreme left foreground, on what would have then been 10th Street (now Olympic Blvd.). It's a used record store, in 1917! I always thought those were an innovation of the 1960s. It makes sense, though, that there would have been a demand for a "record exchange" as far back as sound recordings were being marketed - people wanting to trade in records they don't listen to anymore for ones they don't already have. Still, it's a little surprising to me to find such a thing at this early stage in the history of recorded sound...

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Dec 25, 2017 at 5:52 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos