HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 4:57 PM
jammon member

MoneySense Annual City Ranking

http://www.moneysense.ca/planning/ca...2015-overview/

So, Moneysense has their annual ranking list out again of the best places to live in Canada? Do people actually put stock into this ranking? Winnipeg dropped from 19th --> 24th, but I had to laugh when I looked at the checklist and they didn't give a check to Winnipeg for an active arts and sports community!!! Have they even set foot in Winnipeg???

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post

So, Moneysense has their annual ranking list out again of the best places to live in Canada? Do people actually put stock into this ranking? Winnipeg dropped from 19th --> 24th, but I had to laugh when I looked at the checklist and they didn't give a check to Winnipeg for an active arts and sports community!!! Have they even set foot in Winnipeg???
Lists like this are meaningless click bait. I don't care about the ones that place Winnipeg 1st or 2nd any more than I care about the ones that put us 30th.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 5:16 PM
arf

Regina doesn't either. Uh huh. Only the most supported franchise in the CFL, and one of the best arts communities around. Why are financial magazines (MoneySense, Forbes, and others) usually the least reliable sources of information.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 5:31 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Lists like this are meaningless click bait. I don't care about the ones that place Winnipeg 1st or 2nd any more than I care about the ones that put us 30th.
I do wonder though whether people put stock in these types of rankings? I think the majority of people on this site can see through the methodology and potential flaws, but does this affect the general population or sway their opinions?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Regina doesn't either. Uh huh. Only the most supported franchise in the CFL, and one of the best arts communities around. Why are financial magazines (MoneySense, Forbes, and others) usually the least reliable sources of information.
What does support for a local sports team have to do with liveability of a city?

Frankly most cities mid-size and up could lay claim to the title, "one of the best arts communities around."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:45 PM

For crimes per 100,000 I imagine they include all crimes, violent and non-violent. Winnipeg stacks up fairly well to the medium and large cities on the praries with 5900 per 100,000.

Thompson at 44,000 crimes per 100,000. Yikes!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
What does support for a local sports team have to do with liveability of a city?
Positivity, a sense of community and camaraderie. Three good things to have when looking for a city to live in.

What I think HomeInMyShoes is referring to is the list where Regina didn't get a checkmark under "Strong Arts & Sports Community". That was a major flub which would have placed Regina much higher in the list. We absolutely deserve a checkmark there.

I'd also say Moneysense missed out on Healthy Population Growth. Did they not do their research on Saskatchewan's historic influx of population over the past 5 years?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Positivity, a sense of community and camaraderie. Three good things to have when looking for a city to live in.

What I think HomeInMyShoes is referring to is the list where Regina didn't get a checkmark under "Strong Arts & Sports Community". That was a major flub which would have placed Regina much higher in the list. We absolutely deserve a checkmark there.

I'd also say Moneysense missed out on Healthy Population Growth. Did they not do their research on Saskatchewan's historic influx of population over the past 5 years?
Pro and amateur teams have little to do with the quality of live in a city. Rather insignificant..even the case of the Riders.

Winnipeg didn't get a checkmark for arts either - the largest city that didn't meet Money Sense's criteria. If Winnipeg didn't meet their standard I doubt Regina would either. Measurements used to determine if the city is a strong arts and sports community might possibly be money invested by the municipalities in amateur and pro sports? Both communities might come up wanting.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post

You realize it's 24th out of 209 Canadian cities? And of the "large" cities it is number 4 on the list, ahead of Montreal, Quebec, Vancouver and Toronto. I think they ranked it pretty high, the only reason they dropped in ranking is likely because some small and medium sized cities in Ontario and Quebec made their way up a little.

err, correction (When filtering sizes on the list it it doesn't keep the overall ranking sorted), so Quebec is actually higher, but Winnipeg is still ranked #4 among large cities, behind 1) Ottawa 2) Quebec and 3) Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Pro and amateur teams have little to do with the quality of live in a city. Rather insignificant..even the case of the Riders.

Winnipeg didn't get a checkmark for arts either - the largest city that didn't meet Money Sense's criteria. If Winnipeg didn't meet their standard I doubt Regina would either. Measurements used to determine if the city is a strong arts and sports community might possibly be money invested by the municipalities in amateur and pro sports? Both communities might come up wanting.
They used percentage of people employed in arts, culture or sports.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:23 PM
arf

Quote:

Frankly most cities mid-size and up could lay claim to the title, "one of the best arts communities around."
Almost nothing is my answer to the first question.

My addition to the second point is I have yet to live in a city which did not claim to have a vibrant arts community.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They used percentage of people employed in arts, culture or sports.
I see. Maybe the Moose coming back and future Canadian Pro Soccer Team will bump it up to get the coveted MoneySense checkmark.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Almost nothing is my answer to the first question.

My addition to the second point is I have yet to live in a city which did not claim to have a vibrant arts community.
Point being there is more taken into consideration as an active sports community than undying support for one local team.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan