HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 6:09 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Thank you Scott. Someone had to call Cirrus on his blatent misrepresentation of water.
That wasn't me, Mister Misrepresenter.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 8:55 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Philadelphia has plenty of streams with kayak-able rapids. Those aren't rivers.
We don't call anything a "stream" here. That would be weird. We just have the two rivers and a bunch of creeks. The creeks are nicer. You can even go swimming in some of them!
Quote:
They also have one of these.
We do? Ain't never seen it...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:16 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Maybe I got the wrong ship. What's the masted ship that's always docked down about halfway between the Society Hill towers and where South Street meets the Delaware River?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:24 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

This one:

wikipedia

Also it isn't just "docked" there, it's pretty much glued to the river bottom so it can't move. Nice deck for drinking on and watching fireworks, too.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 8:15 AM

Think bigger, Ryan

Perhaps the reason that you have not found the answer to this yet is that you are limiting your choices to the US. Why not consider further afield. With the USD so strong against the Euro you should really consider what Europe has to offer. You could get all the culture, history and rivers that you wanted. South Western France has not been discovered and has some wonderful urban centres (e.g. Pau, Biarritz or even Bordeaux). Heavens, you could probably buy a palace in Greece on Monday if today's discussions do not go well.

New Zealand is stunning and has some of the world's greatest cities (check out Wellington) as does Australia.

What about Africa, Cape Town is one of my favourite cities, Botswana is English speaking, highly developed although I have bad memories in its capital Gaborone.

For anyone with an interest in urbanism needs to live at least some of the time in Hong Kong. There are loads of small islands around with reasonably priced housing and a fabulous ferry service.

And this is just off the top of my head when I really ought to be packing for my return to, er, Denver.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 12:18 AM

Try out Baltimore, I've heard it's budget friendly.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 1:42 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

I hear you can holiday in Cambodia.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:04 PM

Quote:
I hear you can holiday in Cambodia.
I have not been but my friends who have say it was the best holiday ever.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:16 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Lumos, I have to stay in the US because of fiancee's residence status. Once naturalization / green card, etc occurs, then possibly we will venture out. We're just not in a position to hop a country across the world at the moment.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:58 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Lumos, I have to stay in the US because of fiancee's residence status. Once naturalization / green card, etc occurs, then possibly we will venture out. We're just not in a position to hop a country across the world at the moment.
There's always the military. Travel abroad on Uncle Sam's dime and an expedited naturalization process.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:02 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
There's always the military. Travel abroad on Uncle Sam's dime and an expedited naturalization process.
Hahahahaha. PFC Maria. The Iranians will get one sight of that 4'-11" warrior and they'll definitely break the nuclear deal.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:24 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Bahahahahaha. 5'3"....

Idk man. That latina fire could probably solve some world problems.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:33 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Bahahahahaha. 5'3"....

Idk man. That latina fire could probably solve some world problems.
Combining Latina fire with a crew-served weapon is a recipe for real-world problem solving.... using kinetic solutions.

And Ryan would make a wonderful military spouse. Heck, he could probably earn some extra coin being a photographer for the Army Times between FRG meetings.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:22 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Oh my...

I could start a private drone flying company and contract out through the armed forces. Also, Maria wasn't too keen on the military idea when I told her last night.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 10:14 PM

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:27 AM

On the other hand...

"Strength in Diversity"
by PATTY RASMUSSEN and ADAM BRUNS - Site Selection
Quote:
Frank Sinatra once famously crooned, “My kind of town, Chicago is.” These days he would be joined by a chorus of business and industry executives who have chosen to invest in the Windy City. In fact, 385 companies either expanded or located in Chicago in 2014, resulting in the city being named Site Selection’s Top Metro in the US for the second straight year.

Still it might be good to think outside the box. There's the growing economic clout of Monterrey as demonstrated by Kansas City based Populace newest gem.
Credit: Populous
"Capturing a Latin spirit beneath the Cerro de la Silla"
Populous - Monterrey 2015
Quote:
CHALLENGE. This new world class stadium will form the heart of the restored and enhanced Parque la Pastora, Monterrey’s new recreational and leisure destination. Populous want to challenge the expectations of what a modern world class stadium can be. It will be, quite simply, a brilliant football stadium for Rayados and its fans – and the most atmospheric in Latin America

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 7:52 AM
Denver

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but as someone who lived in Philly for more than a year, I feel like my opinion should be known. Philly is a shithole, even if no one on this forum will take me seriously.

Here is a basic rundown of what to expect in Philly.

- Philadelphia is a lot skuzzier than the Mountain West cities.....Just be aware. a lot more crime, a lot more open drugs, a lot more people begging you, attacking you, a LOT more dogshit on the ground (not many people pick up after their dogs in Philly? what the hell?!?!), a lot more general filth.
- landlords lie when they say "easy street parking!" don't take them at their word for that, just rent a unit that has a parking spot
- the bus system SUCKS ass... stops like every 2 blocks and filled with trash.
- Don't plan on living anywhere either of you have to commute by bus.
- own a car (it's not like nyc, you need a car to get anywhere good on weekends)
- If you own a dog, it makes it like a zillion times harder to rent an apartment!
- Like I said above, there's also a LOT of filth and crime in Philadelphia. LOTS. hang out downtown for a bit on a friday night, or try to use the goddamn bathrooms in the public library (btw do NOT check out any books from the public library, they have bedbugs and scabies in them there is a reason rich people started their own private library), walk anywhere around the civic center, walk around the majority of the downtown streets without smelling urine, walk around without getting harrassed by street urchins or threatened by their pitbulls, walk around ANYWHERE and avoid the dogshit (why does no one pick up after their goddamn dogs there? WHY)

the city's fine, it's wonderful, it's fun, it's a yuppy paradise and all that but if you don't keep your wits about you and walk a couple of blocks in the wrong direction looking up crap on your iphone it's gonna get jacked. if you park your car in your hood with a couple bottles of wine loaded in the back, it's going to get smashed into and taken.

open your eyes and look at all the orange caps on the ground on the sidewalk in the gutter- start noticing how many people are shooting up and throwing out the leftover parts on the street. My girlfriend worked at general in Philadelphia and would regularly treat patients who would come in to dry out (so much for "sobering centers" that are still on divert filled with etoh and drugs 60% of the time), leave with their iv bag still attached, dragging it down to the busstop, head downtown to get high, then come back to get their methodone.

anyways, Philly can be great, but it can also be really gross and violent. I personally got attacked by crazy ass homeless people 3 times in the year and a half I lived there. once at 11am on a tuesday on John F Kennedy BLVD... not exactly the most sketch part of the city.

oh and ps pizza and bagels rock in philadelphia.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 9:31 PM

^ So Pueblo might still be an option then?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:52 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

It's not that people didn't take you seriously. It's that you made an opinion with the impression that you didn't look at what Ryan wanted in a city. If you don't like a city, that's fine. Just let others make up their mind.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:59 AM
Denver

Quote:
It's not that people didn't take you seriously. It's that you made an opinion with the impression that you didn't look at what Ryan wanted in a city. If you don't like a city, that's fine. Just let others make up their mind.
Sure, but I don't think anybody actually wants to live in the conditions I described above...

Philadelphia is certainly a better city than Denver for urbanism, but in terms of lifestyle, safety, etc, there is no comparison. It is scuzzy, plain and simple

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West