HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
And all they're going to tell her is that they're going to build it anyway and deny the appeal, but there really needs to be something in place that takes common nonsense like this and dismisses it out of hand instead of diverting thousands of dollars in resources towards it.

It's too easy for people to object to trivial variances on the flimsiest of grounds.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
+1... People who take those courses are idiots if they think they will get a bartending position at any of the busy bars. I could see it working for something like a lounge but no way would a bar hire someone just because they know how to mix a tom collins.

As for Unknown Poster -- Who from the Lid came to Coyotes? I was there for a while, around 2 and a half years, and I don't remember people coming over... And we never used guns, always bottles on the rail.
No guns? I guess that would be due to it being re-purposed into a nightclub from a Chucky Cheeses and the cost of putting lines in under the cement floor? When the Palladium did their major reno they moved the main bar over a few feet and the cost of extending the lines was surprising to me at the time (though I cant remember the numbers).

I know Greg moved over (and didnt he bring a couple bouncers with him that had been at the Palladium?). I *think* Warren did too briefly before changing his mind and coming back. There was a barback that went there...Brian maybe? And I think a server too. Most of us helped with the renos and made some money that way until the bar re-opened. We scooped a young bouncer from the Beach at this time and he became a Lid Lifer.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:43 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
No guns? I guess that would be due to it being re-purposed into a nightclub from a Chucky Cheeses and the cost of putting lines in under the cement floor? When the Palladium did their major reno they moved the main bar over a few feet and the cost of extending the lines was surprising to me at the time (though I cant remember the numbers).

I know Greg moved over (and didnt he bring a couple bouncers with him that had been at the Palladium?). I *think* Warren did too briefly before changing his mind and coming back. There was a barback that went there...Brian maybe? And I think a server too. Most of us helped with the renos and made some money that way until the bar re-opened. We scooped a young bouncer from the Beach at this time and he became a Lid Lifer.
I didn't know he came from the Palladium... Hrm. More than likely that would mean Shawn came from Palladium too, I think they came on at the same time...

But I don't know why Cary didn't use guns, but the Pal and Mustang Sally's didn't have them either. He was a tight-ass with the money so that reason would seem sound. But a good owner for the time I was there.

I ended up leaving just before they changed over to Vivid; they hired Jamie Hall and one of his marketing cronies that doesn't know anything, which tipped me over the edge. 2 months later and a rather large lawsuit (from what I hear) and he was fired and the name had to change again. Good idea Jamie, taking trademarked images and using them to brand your nightclub.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I didn't know he came from the Palladium... Hrm. More than likely that would mean Shawn came from Palladium too, I think they came on at the same time...

But I don't know why Cary didn't use guns, but the Pal and Mustang Sally's didn't have them either. He was a tight-ass with the money so that reason would seem sound. But a good owner for the time I was there.

I ended up leaving just before they changed over to Vivid; they hired Jamie Hall and one of his marketing cronies that doesn't know anything, which tipped me over the edge. 2 months later and a rather large lawsuit (from what I hear) and he was fired and the name had to change again. Good idea Jamie, taking trademarked images and using them to brand your nightclub.
Yes, Greg and Shawn were longtime Palladium employees. I worked with both of them up until the switch to The Stratosphere.

I had forgotten all about "Vivid" which we all assumed was a law suit waiting to happen. Interesting to hear it did!

Everytime that location closes, the old owner of the Palladium "threatens" to lease it. We get talking about ideas and then never go through with it. lol

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 10:13 PM

There's a lot of vacancies piling up on Corydon in Little Italy, newer ones include:
- Former architect across from Saffrons
- Space beside Daly Burger in Plaza Italia
- Mini Mart at Hugo just closed

Add these to Sugar Mountain, former Brickhouse gym, storefronts with Cafe 22, TCBY, and a few other not-so-obvious ones, and it's not looking great.

Plus that Dim Sum place lasted like 6 weeks, and what's taken over looks no different. I also don't know how long that high tea place can last. One positive is the pink house that used to be a clothing store (I believe) is becoming a bakery, and I assume it will have a cafe because they're building a patio.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Osborne inn on the way out?
Village mainstay sold, future unclear

By: Murray McNeill

One of Winnipeg's trendiest neighbourhoods will be getting a facelift now that the Osborne Village Motor Inn has been sold.

The fate of the motel, which has been a mainstay in the Village for roughly half a century, is up in the air after a spokeswoman for a local business group confirmed it has been sold.

Stephanie Meilleur, executive director of the Osborne Village Business Improvement Zone, said one of the hotel's owners told her about the deal Monday.

She said he told her a closing date for the deal has not been set, and it will be business as usual until then.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...321355151.html

The story goes on to say that the hotel might be up for a boutique renovation or possibly condos on the parking lot north of the Vita Health/Stella's building.

I know a lot of the Zoo crowd will be pretty devastated if the venue closes up, but other than that, I think this is pretty much a great thing?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 2:00 PM

^ I know some will say that the Zoo gives the area character, but I can't say that I'd miss it. I'd love to see a somewhat dingy hotel better known for its bar converted into something that makes a bit of a statement that Osborne Village is still alive and well... a boutique hotel would be fantastic, and it would be a great addition to one of Winnipeg's most complete neighbourhoods. If it happens, I hope it's a new build as opposed to a reno.

A parkade, however, would be a total letdown. There's plenty of room off Osborne to build something like that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I know some will say that the Zoo gives the area character, but I can't say that I'd miss it. I'd love to see a somewhat dingy hotel better known for its bar converted into something that makes a bit of a statement that Osborne Village is still alive and well... a boutique hotel would be fantastic, and it would be a great addition to one of Winnipeg's most complete neighbourhoods. If it happens, I hope it's a new build as opposed to a reno.

A parkade, however, would be a total letdown. There's plenty of room off Osborne to build something like that.
This is a great thing. And I'm fine with a parkade as it says it may be behind the Stella's with a vendor on the main floor, and maybe condos behind the hotel. Obviously it's just speculation. I would be ok with one of the lots (off Osborne) becoming a parkade that even has a retail space if it means the other will get developed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keh Vaughn View Post

I know a lot of the Zoo crowd will be pretty devastated if the venue closes up, but other than that, I think this is pretty much a great thing?
As someone who was a supporter and frequent attendee of the Osborne Village Inn from it's earliest days, I'm ready for a complete change..a new build for the location as mentioned would be most preferable..

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:09 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Hopefully the Sherbrook Inn will follow.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:16 PM
Transit Nerd

I don't know about you guys, but if it gets re-developed, either it becomes a 20+ floor building (or something tall that doesn't resemble the new Marion condos), or I'm going to be pissed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:39 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Hopefully the Sherbrook Inn will follow.
Apparently the Sherbrook is too profitable to sell.

But then again, I suppose the same could have been said of the Osborne.

Good for the area, although I am a bit leery of demolish first redevelop later ideas, especially given the economic conditions these days.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Good for the area, although I am a bit leery of demolish first redevelop later ideas, especially given the economic conditions these days.
I agree completely. I'd rather see the OVI remain for another 20 years rather than have it torn down now only to be a gaping void on Osborne for decades until something gets built.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Apparently the Sherbrook is too profitable to sell.

But then again, I suppose the same could have been said of the Osborne.

Everybody forgets about the pawn shop. You're essentially running a legal loan sharking gambit out of a small space on the main floor. It's not going anywhere. That's easily the most profitable portion of the entire enterprise.

The Osborne Village Inn isn't really that comparable. It doesn't have nearly the same revenues that flow from the beverage room and accompanying VLTs and it's not as big either. The only reliably continual revenue streams would be the beer vendor, parking, and a few rooms and it sounds like they actually want to develop the parking. The rest of the value is really speculative which is why I would suspect that it sits for a while.

I might put aside the idea of high-rise anything on that site for a good long time. If they paid market value for the land, the conditions to allow that to happen just simply don't exist. A good example of that is the Winter Club lands.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:09 PM

^ I'd be satisfied with a low-rise 3 to 6 storey building that hugs the sidewalk... that alone would be an improvement. However, a one-storey strip-mall along the lines of the TD building further north would be a major letdown...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree completely. I'd rather see the OVI remain for another 20 years rather than have it torn down now only to be a gaping void on Osborne for decades until something gets built.
IMO, I'd like them just to renovate what's there.

Obviously it has to make sense financially (as renos are pricey, especially to bring the building up to Code) but I imagine the bones of the building are fine, and a renovated 60s hotel would be great.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:19 PM

Quote:

Obviously it has to make sense financially (as renos are pricey, especially to bring the building up to Code) but I imagine the bones of the building are fine, and a renovated 60s hotel would be great.
Could you economically renovate a building like that to a reasonably high standard, i.e. to, say, a 3.5 or 4 star quality room where you could charge $150 a night and up, along the lines of an older downtown hotel like the Delta or the Radisson?

I've never been in the rooms there, but from what I can see from the street, they do look fairly small and with hotels of this vintage, washrooms tend to small and kind of dingy too... and the OVI is not old enough where you can market that as part of the building's historic character either.

As far as hotels go, I think a new build along these lines would be the ideal development from the perspective of improving the neighbourhood... big enough to make an impact, but not so big as to overwhelm:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:

In all honesty I hear where your coming from, but I really don't see the benefit of doing a reno on this particular building? Although I understand how posters may feel reg. a new build, if it ever came to fruition, and how it may not be feasible at this time.

Whatever the case, I hope change is coming in the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 5:16 PM

Does anyone know what/if any requirements are for new dev on Osborne now (after Shoppers happened and new area plan came out)? I'd hope that if it's demolished they wouldn't be allowed to build a strip mall. I'd also love if they were to build a new hotel that it be right up to the street and be forced to have another entrance for dropoff/valet/etc in the back. That lane behind is actually part of their property, so it'd be completely reasonable to put it there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:08 PM

Interesting tidbit in the Sun article is that the BIZ is doing some streetscaping (outside of sidewalk renewals) including redoing the clock tower plaza.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan