HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 12:46 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Thanks! I don't think I have ever been out that way. Is this where the underpass is going?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:30 AM

From that valve station there is a branch pipe that runs west under the Plessis pavement to the old Shell tank farm location at the old refinery.

That pipe has to be relocated lower to allow the roadway incline to go under the tracks. To do that they have to reconfigure the valve tree and that impacts the feed that runs north to the tank farm at the old Esso refinery in East ST. Paul. And to modify the valve tree the pipes under the rail tracks have to be moved.

Apparently from what I was reading in the city reports online Esso as the pipeline owner were not the most cooperative in helping to plan the relocation(s).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 3:03 AM

they shoulda closed the roads around the esso area and teach em a lesson

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 4:35 AM

It actually is accessed off the Plessis access to the CN service road next to the mainline that is used by the "4-Refuel" trucks to fuel the hotshot container trains that don't go into Symington Yard to leave or take on more containers. The other hotshot fuel pad is at the east end of the Transcona yard by Redonda.

Don't think CN would take to kindly to that access being shut off.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:34 PM

Esso, or IOL (Imperial Oil Limited), is always very difficult to deal with. And you're right, they threw up huge road blocks on this project. It takes them year(s), literally, to move things forward.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 7:03 PM

I wonder if it was the speed that this project was being pushed that caused Shell and Esso to a little less cooperative. If they don't have adequate advance notice they can't budget for the engineering time required to design and supervise the work the city requires for this.

I don't recall hearing anything like this happening when the floodway was being expanded and Esso had to work with the Manitoba floodway authority in relocating the pipeline.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 8:27 PM

Not really sure. Things like this come up all the time. Another project I'm working on we are crossing these same two lines. We've given them notice, in the order of about 8 months prior to starting work. 3 months have now lapsed with really no movement on IOL's end. They've said recently they have looked at it and will get back to us.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 12:51 AM

DECEMBER, 2014 Plessis Underpass

Just a quick look around at what's happening at the Plessis Underpass.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 5:23 AM

Them there some caissons. Thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:45 AM

Shell Canada to get $1,350,000.00 plus GST to relocate its pipeline in the underpass footprint if motion passed on Jan 16/15 meeting of Infrastructure and public works committee.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 4:29 PM

JAN 13, 2015 FLASHING red LIGHTS

Lots of blinking red lights coming from about 8 or 9 emergency vehicles this morning at 9:00 AM. Besides the EMS vehicles, Hydro is parked in there with their lights on. Second ambulance that I seen, coming down to the scene. Can't get close, nor do I want to get in the way of EMS, no police vehicles directing traffic, so it must be a human and not a gas leak. The gawkers are lined up along the roadway with their Timmy's in their hands.

Hey BJ what's the story?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 4:35 PM

Not sure but I'll let you know what I hear.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 7:05 PM

Some kind of a fire in the hole. Don't think anyone was injured, but not really sure.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 12:09 AM

Apparently some hay bales caught fire at the bottom of the foundation excavation from sparks from rebar cutting. There is a workplace health and safety stop work order for that part of the project.

Global news has pictures here:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1771554/fi...t-in-winnipeg/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:59 PM

Latest Pictures June, 2015

This has to be the slowest construction project in the City's history.

Here's the first cut of mud on the south side at Dugald Rd. This was taken just before the downpour that took place over the weekend. Fishing must have been great, and not a pump in sight or on the site.

I hope that they put fish in the Lagoon on the NW side, I may put a net in if they ever get it done. Freshwater Fish plant is just on the other side of the track.

This about as close you can get during working hours to the "construction" which seems to be moving at a snail's pace. YES! The sign still stay completion Dec. 2015, but they will be adding new stickers to the signs.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 5:36 PM

In recent weeks they have been working on putting in the extra lanes following the underpass. I was hoping there would be more progress on the actual construction of the underpass. The city of Winnipeg has the following timeline currently up:
◾Two lanes of the Project on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue will be open to traffic by October 31, 2015, as opposed to July 31, 2015;
◾Four lanes of the Project on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue will be open to traffic by September 30, 2016, as opposed to September 30, 2015; and
◾The Project completion date will be no later than March 31, 2017, as opposed to March 31, 2016.

When it first started two lanes were supposed to be open to traffic Dec 2014.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

When it first started two lanes were supposed to be open to traffic Dec 2014.
When it first started, it was open to traffic, from that point on, its been a downhill slide. The incompetence that is being shown on this project is astounding. Poor design, unknown obstacles, poor scheduling are just part of the problems associated with this project. The one constant on this project is money keeps pouring out of the City's coffers to pay for the incompetence.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:36 PM

Any updates from anyone if 2 lanes will be open by Halloween? I know the trains are on the new bridge and the hole was actually being dug beneath. Since I no longer work at the company that shall not be named, I haven't been up to speed on the comings and goings of this shit show.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Any updates from anyone if 2 lanes will be open by Halloween? I know the trains are on the new bridge and the hole was actually being dug beneath. Since I no longer work at the company that shall not be named, I haven't been up to speed on the comings and goings of this shit show.
Well the signs were updated recently to say October, from September that they previously read. So it must be getting close now that they're changing the opening date by a month at a time rather than several months.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 7:46 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Limestone base on the Northbound lane is being worked on on the South side of the tracks. It may be possible that they can open up one lane each by October. I drive by everyday and take the scenic route through Bournais and back to Pandora, Plessis and East on Kernaghan. I'll try to give regular updates. There is progress. But completion by December, by the looks of it is highly unlikely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan