HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
An employee posted on FB more details on what happened.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Yes, I already saw and read the Facebook post. It did not explain the closure (other than construction) and it just seems like there is more to this story that what the owner said and did. If it was construction I am sure there would have been a bit of a warning to employees.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 10:46 AM

Article in the T&T this morning on the reason why Don Cherry's is no longer open The Owner: Jody MacIsaac said that Construction was an issue because they are limiting available parking in the area, and the parking left has a 1-2 hour limit. Also there saying the business has not been able meet there Business goals including sales targets. The Landlord seems to be willing to allow them to stay but Mr. MacIsaac said he does not foresee the restaurant re-opening within the next year.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 11:01 AM

That still smells fishy. The Construction may have been the ultimate reason, but it doesn't really explain just abruptly shutting down like that. If he wanted to maintain any goodwill at all, it would have been better to try and give some warning at least.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Article in the T&T this morning on the reason why Don Cherry's is no longer open The Owner: Jody MacIsaac said that Construction was an issue because they are limiting available parking in the area, and the parking left has a 1-2 hour limit. Also there saying the business has not been able meet there Business goals including sales targets. The Landlord seems to be willing to allow them to stay but Mr. MacIsaac said he does not foresee the restaurant re-opening within the next year.
The place was dead well before those construction projects began.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 11:55 PM

Apparently the hotel project next to Sears has been put on hold, could be indefinitely. Too many other hotels being built in the area. I can only assume that they will demolish the building as it is now empty.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbujold View Post
Apparently the hotel project next to Sears has been put on hold, could be indefinitely. Too many other hotels being built in the area. I can only assume that they will demolish the building as it is now empty.

Talked to a few people today, and was told the plan is to demolish the building, and use the site as overflow parking until the hotels plans are back on track but who knows if they will stick with it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Talked to a few people today, and was told the plan is to demolish the building, and use the site as overflow parking until the hotels plans are back on track but who knows if they will stick with it.
Overflow parking for what? When Sears has a closing sale. Nobody ever parks over there now expect for the fireworks and Xmas parade. Lol

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 11:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

No real surprise that this rumoured hotel in the Champlain Place parking lot is on hold. Just look at what's already under construction or in the pipeline.

- Wingate Dieppe (U/C)
- Wesley Hotel (Queen Street, approved)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites (Mapleton Road, approved)
- Hilton Garden Inn (Main & Vaughan Harvey, widely rumoured)

The market will have to grow for additional hotel construction. I expect that this project will be on hold for 3-5 years at least.

In the meantime, a parking lot it is. Maybe Champlain Place will consider another retail pad instead...........

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:49 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Steel is going up at the hotel behind City Hall.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 4:37 PM

Room Escape to double in size and add a licensed lounge.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No real surprise that this rumoured hotel in the Champlain Place parking lot is on hold. Just look at what's already under construction or in the pipeline.

- Wingate Dieppe (U/C)
- Wesley Hotel (Queen Street, approved)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites (Mapleton Road, approved)
- Hilton Garden Inn (Main & Vaughan Harvey, widely rumoured)

The market will have to grow for additional hotel construction. I expect that this project will be on hold for 3-5 years at least.

In the meantime, a parking lot it is. Maybe Champlain Place will consider another retail pad instead...........
Was it ever confirmed that a)Sears owned the property and b) may have sold it to Caldilac Fairview?

Cause if Sears owns it, I don't believe CF Champlain has any say. However if they've sold it and are now leasing the building space CF can do whatever they want.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Downtown continues to boom.

Apparently work has begun on the new Swiss Chalet/Harvey's combo location on the SE corner of Champlain & Paul (old Chan's House location).
They have the building knocked down but it seems there is a for sale sign on the lot.

Did they decide not to open the Swiss Chalet/Harvey's location on that lot?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
They have the building knocked down but it seems there is a for sale sign on the lot.

The construction fence is up and they are moving dirt as we speak.......

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 1:35 AM

Quote:

That for sale sign has been there since right after it became known that swiss chalet bought it. There was a sold sticker on it that may have fallen off

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 7:06 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Was in Moncton today, I don't think this has been asked recently, But what is being built next to Sleep Country in Moncton ?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 8:03 PM

Citi financial and a Thai restaurant. I believe it's a second location to one in Dieppe.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Citi financial and a Thai restaurant. I believe it's a second location to one in Dieppe.
My understanding it was just going to be the Thai restaurant then citi financial was going to open a separate location in 2017?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 11:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Downtown Dieppe Construction Photo Tour:

Horizon Place - they are both pouring concrete and digging at the same time. The excavation to the east side (into the hill) is impressively deep, but then again they are going to have three levels of parking.

Champlain Dental Building - recently completed and now occupied. A very nice addition to the streetscape. BTW - has anyone else noticed that there's a shitload of dental buildings in downtown Dieppe.....

Wingate Hotel and Conference Centre - this seems to be taking forever to get above the first floor level. It's agonizing to watch........

VimSoft Building - now topped out. This is progressing much faster than the Wingate Hotel across the street.

Just a neat photo showing all the recent projects and projects under construction around Rue du Marche.

New skating oval - I find it very hard to believe that this will be ready for this winter. The site is still covered in fill from the adjacent Wingate Hotel project. I could be wrong, but I can't see this being ready before Christmas 2017.

Swiss Chalet/Harveys - at the SE corner of Champlain & Paul.

Hard to imagine that all of this is going on in a 4-5 square block area. Good for Dieppe!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Downtown Dieppe Construction Photo Tour:

Horizon Place - they are both pouring concrete and digging at the same time. The excavation to the east side (into the hill) is impressively deep, but then again they are going to have three levels of parking.

Champlain Dental Building - recently completed and now occupied. A very nice addition to the streetscape. BTW - has anyone else noticed that there's a shitload of dental buildings in downtown Dieppe.....

Wingate Hotel and Conference Centre - this seems to be taking forever to get above the first floor level. It's agonizing to watch........

VimSoft Building - now topped out. This is progressing much faster than the Wingate Hotel across the street.

Just a neat photo showing all the recent projects and projects under construction around Rue du Marche.

New skating oval - I find it very hard to believe that this will be ready for this winter. The site is still covered in fill from the adjacent Wingate Hotel project. I could be wrong, but I can't see this being ready before Christmas 2017.

Swiss Chalet/Harveys - at the SE corner of Champlain & Paul.

Hard to imagine that all of this is going on in a 4-5 square block area. Good for Dieppe!!

Nice Photos. For the Hotel I think it might just be a slow start, and once they get going it will go quicker. Hopefully.

The Champlain Dental does look good, and fit in well next to the Exit Realty Building.

Also I thought the VimSoft Building, and Wingate Hotel and Conference Centre
, where supposed to be on opposite sides.

With the oval I think they might have hit a snag but staff still claims it will be done on time.

I'm like you MonctonRad, and don't believe they will be done for this Winter like some people have stated. But maybe by Winter 2017.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 6:12 PM

I speculated on the northern NB thread not long ago that Edmundston could support a Maritime Junior Hockey League team. I suggested that Dieppe could move. Well today I did actually hear from a person close to the Dieppe Comandoes that this will be their last season in Dieppe and that they will be moving the Edmundston following this season.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces