HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 5:36 PM

Greater moncton international airport will get a new name, it will be renamed in honour of Roméo Leblanc, official ceremony to be held on aug 18th at 10:30 at the airport.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...-dominic.shtml

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I knew this was coming. This wasn't going to happen under Harper's watch, but now that Dominic LeBlanc (Romeo's progeny) is JT's 2IC, it was only a matter of time.........

new name: Greater Moncton - Romeo LeBlanc International Airport

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 11:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Correction. The new name will actually be:

Aeroport Internationale du Grand Moncton Romeo LeBlanc Greater Moncton International Airport.

I'm still going to call it the GMIA - it's so much simpler.........

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Aeroport Internationale du Grand Moncton Romeo LeBlanc Greater Moncton International Airport.

You know what would have actually sounded great.. Romeo Leblanc International Airport ( why does Moncton even have to be in it) I never even understood that... It would sound and look so much better in both languages. It's not the greater Toronto area Pearson international airport.. We don't need the name of a city in the name.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 11:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's not so uncommon (in Canada anyway) to include the honorary name and the place name together in the airport name.

- Toronto Pearson
- Montreal Trudeau
- Hamilton John C Munro
- Halifax Stanfield
etc.

I imagine most people will simply refer to the airport as Moncton - Romeo LeBlanc or, just "the airport"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:37 AM

Well, the long awaited money for the upgrades at the Bathurst airport is comming, news conference august 16th for the announcement. Lengtening of the runway, expansion of the terminal and other stuff for a grand total of 6.7 million dollars.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...hurst-nb.shtml

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 6:36 AM

What a ridiculous name to attach to the airport. Why do we need to include the 'Greater' and why do we have to say it twice? Complete waste of time and money.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I knew this was coming. This wasn't going to happen under Harper's watch, but now that Dominic LeBlanc (Romeo's progeny) is JT's 2IC, it was only a matter of time.........
I wouldn't think the federal government had anything to do with it. The Moncton airport was privatized almost 20 years ago (http://www.cyqm.ca/en/home/aboutus/a...y/default.aspx).

Edit: Obviously, from the press release, the federal government retains some influence in this area!

Last edited by McKay; Aug 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 4:51 AM

Quote:

They forgot the year!!! It should be the Aeroport Internationale du Grand Moncton Romeo LeBlanc 2016 Greater Moncton International Airport I suppose it could be 2002 since that's when the terminal opening though.

It keeps up with the new theme of how we name facilities around here haha.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:21 AM

Picture for the new Bathurst regional airport terminal expansion

Picture from here
http://www.max1049.ca/localnews/story.aspx?ID=2199534

Last edited by theshark; Aug 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The two new Tim Horton outlets at the GMRBIA (the new acronym is going to take some getting used to) are scheduled to open in October.

Apparently the GMRBIA will be the first airport in the country with fewer than 1M PAX to get Timmies outlets. They will bring the total number of Timmies in the metro area to 39.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 1:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Press release about the name change at the GMRBIA:

Government of Canada renames Greater Moncton International Airport in honour of former Governor General Roméo LeBlanc

August 18, 2016
Moncton, New Brunswick
Transport Canada

The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today announced the renaming of the Greater Moncton International Airport to the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport. The new name proclaimed today is effective immediately.

The Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc was the 25th Governor General of Canada from 1995-1999 and both the first Acadian, and Atlantic Canadian to hold this office. During his mandate, he shared with Canadians causes that were important to him, bringing more attention to voluntarism, the teaching of Canadian history, Aboriginal peoples, and peacekeeping and the military. Born in Memramcook, New Brunswick, Mr. LeBlanc spent nine years as a teacher and developed strong beliefs about the important role that educators play in our society.

In 1960, Mr. LeBlanc turned to journalism, working as a correspondent for Radio-Canada which led him to serve as Press Secretary to Prime Ministers Lester B. Pearson and Pierre Elliott Trudeau. Mr. LeBlanc was elected to the House of Commons in 1972, representing the riding of Westmorland-Kent (New Brunswick) and was a cabinet minister from 1974 to 1979 and 1980 to 1984. Mr. LeBlanc became a Senator in 1984 and was appointed Speaker of the Senate in 1993.

Quotes

“I am pleased to honour this distinguished Canadian and son of New Brunswick who served his country admirably through a long and prominent career in public service. As a teacher, journalist, parliamentarian, and the first Governor General from the Maritimes, the Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc believed strongly that Canada’s greatness comes from its citizens. The naming of the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport is a fitting tribute to him and a reminder of his service to all Canadians.”
The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

“My family is grateful to Minister Garneau, and the Government of Canada, for this generous tribute to my late father. This airport is a critical piece of the long-term economic development of our region--and my father would certainly have been touched to see his name associated with such an impressive facility.”
The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc
Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard and Leader of the Government in the House of Commons

“The Board of Directors of the Greater Moncton International Airport is honoured to support the Minister of Transport's decision. Throughout his life, Roméo LeBlanc served in many facets of public service. Mr. LeBlanc's ability to bring people together from both linguistic communities, his national presence, and his never ending support for our region and its people makes him a natural choice for this long lasting tribute.”
Christopher D. Bacich
Chair of Board of Directors, Greater Moncton International Airport Authority

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the GMRBIA website:

Canadians continue to demand more from NewLeaf Travel Company
August 24, 2016
Media Release from NewLeaf

CHAPTER 2 - WE’RE WRITING THE “NEXT CHAPTER OF OUR STORY.

NewLeaf Travel Company and Flair Airlines is thrilled to announce expanded service to a number of its Canadian destinations for the fall schedule. Abbotsford BC, Hamilton Ontario, Edmonton Alberta, Moncton New Brunswick, Winnipeg Manitoba will benefit from increased frequency of flight service beginning October 3 to 31, 2016.

The original summer schedule offered 60 flights per week to 11 Canadian cities; that number will increase to 75. “The demand for ultra-low-cost carrier travel in Canada is evident. After the first few weeks of travel, hundreds of Canadian families have decided to let NewLeaf be a part of their travel stories as they visit friends, explore the country, and reunite with family. Many also are experiencing flying for the first time. The fall season offers even more opportunity for those last minute vacations and quick getaways. We want to continue to be a part of those stories.” said Jim Young, President and CEO, NewLeaf Travel Company.

Chapter 2 is now selling and Chapter 3 (holiday season) is only one page away. “NewLeaf Travel Company and Flair Airlines is growing rapidly as the demand continues to rise. Not only are we increasing our flight frequency but we are both hiring staff and crew.” NewLeaf Travel Company in partnership with Flair Airlines began flying on July 25th, 2016. Flights are booked through NewLeaf and operated by Flair Air, a licensed Canadian airline with experienced crews and pilots.

NewLeaf Travel Company Inc. is a privately-held Canadian company with headquarters in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Learn more at www.GoNewLeaf.ca.

Flair Airlines Ltd. is 100% Canadian-owned airline based in Kelowna. In business since 2003, Flair has a strong track record of safety and service. See more at www.Flairair.ca.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
from the GMRBIA website:

Canadians continue to demand more from NewLeaf Travel Company
August 24, 2016
Media Release from NewLeaf

CHAPTER 2 - WE’RE WRITING THE “NEXT CHAPTER OF OUR STORY.

NewLeaf Travel Company and Flair Airlines is thrilled to announce expanded service to a number of its Canadian destinations for the fall schedule. Abbotsford BC, Hamilton Ontario, Edmonton Alberta, Moncton New Brunswick, Winnipeg Manitoba will benefit from increased frequency of flight service beginning October 3 to 31, 2016.

The original summer schedule offered 60 flights per week to 11 Canadian cities; that number will increase to 75. “The demand for ultra-low-cost carrier travel in Canada is evident. After the first few weeks of travel, hundreds of Canadian families have decided to let NewLeaf be a part of their travel stories as they visit friends, explore the country, and reunite with family. Many also are experiencing flying for the first time. The fall season offers even more opportunity for those last minute vacations and quick getaways. We want to continue to be a part of those stories.” said Jim Young, President and CEO, NewLeaf Travel Company.

Chapter 2 is now selling and Chapter 3 (holiday season) is only one page away. “NewLeaf Travel Company and Flair Airlines is growing rapidly as the demand continues to rise. Not only are we increasing our flight frequency but we are both hiring staff and crew.” NewLeaf Travel Company in partnership with Flair Airlines began flying on July 25th, 2016. Flights are booked through NewLeaf and operated by Flair Air, a licensed Canadian airline with experienced crews and pilots.

NewLeaf Travel Company Inc. is a privately-held Canadian company with headquarters in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Learn more at www.GoNewLeaf.ca.

Flair Airlines Ltd. is 100% Canadian-owned airline based in Kelowna. In business since 2003, Flair has a strong track record of safety and service. See more at www.Flairair.ca.
I'm happy to see their increasing service and seem to be having some success getting started. I know it's too early to say if it's going to work out or not, but we really do need another national competitor. WestJet has completely abandoned the "low cost" carrier tag it had when it started out, I guess after CanJet failed it was easy for them to fall in line with Air Canada. Porter is great but can't seem to be bothered with expanding westward.

I'd love to see NewLeaf fly into YJT someday. Flair used to run a Charter from YJT to Fort Mac, so there's some familiarity there.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 6:30 AM

Couple photos have popped up of two airport expansion projects in NB.

Bathurst:

Source: https://twitter.com/Bathurstairport/...85874959097856

Fredericton recently released some images of their proposed terminal expansion - I saw on their twitter feed they had the renders displayed in the terminal along with what appeared to be the proposed floor plan.

Source: Fredericton Airport Website http://www.frederictonairport.ca/growing-pains/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:15 PM

In Bathurst it will start in the spring, by the time the land prep would be done for the runway to be paved, it will be too late in the season to pave. Can't wait to see the work begin, its needed, gets cramped in there!

Good news for Fredericton!

Miramichi is also getting a new terminal, its currently in construction

I there anything in the works for Saint John?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:28 PM

Freddy desperately needs this upgrade. Since (according to the linked article) they don't qualify for the normal money pools to fund hte upgrade, I really hope they'll get it by other means. Really, 30M$ for the expansion seems like a bargain in government dollars; especially to raise PAX capacity from 200k to 500k.

Looking at the renders, it doesn't seem that big of an expansion, or all that different from what it has now; but I'm sure just having 2 security gates alone will help speed things up.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Freddy desperately needs this upgrade. Since (according to the linked article) they don't qualify for the normal money pools to fund hte upgrade, I really hope they'll get it by other means. Really, 30M$ for the expansion seems like a bargain in government dollars; especially to raise PAX capacity from 200k to 500k.

Looking at the renders, it doesn't seem that big of an expansion, or all that different from what it has now; but I'm sure just having 2 security gates alone will help speed things up.
A jet bridge would be REALLY nice in the winter, but that would mean more substantial renovation.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Sunwing is adding another new destination out of Moncton for the upcoming winter season - Puerto Plata, DR. This will bring to seven the number of winter sun destinations served by the GMRBIA.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 4:18 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
GMRBIA.
Haha...that sounds so silly still. Do like us in the biz and simply call it YQM...much cleaner

Speaking of the new name though they did put up a nice new sign on Champlain St at the intersection with aviation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces