HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
This is the one behind Scootie's, correct? I had forgotten they added a second building. The developers website says it is expected to deliver in the fall of 2017. This along with Highland Row (which is coming along quickly) and the new improvements to the strip should add a lot more pedestrian-friendliness to the area (or at least make the area more active hopefully)

I would be on the lookout for a Taco Bell Cantina on Highland or part of the mixed use on some of these projects. Only reason I'm saying this is because they are putting one in on Dickson up here in Fayetteville. It' a Hybrid Taco Bell with some shared items with the regular chain but also items exclusive to them us alcohol and no drive through window.supposedly they are going to get aggressive with growing these. Downtown Memphis would be a possibility in my book as well.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Remember this proposal @ Brister/Mynders intersection near U of M?

No idea if its still gonna look like this, but there was demolition going on yesterday at the site.
That's gotta be what's going on here. Drove by it yesterday and they're definitely demoing the site.

Tons of construction going on by the campus.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
That's gotta be what's going on here. Drove by it yesterday and they're definitely demoing the site.

Tons of construction going on by the campus.
Skybridge to the side with the parking structure is a nice touch.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
San Diego coming around to my kinda thinking
http://www.chargers.com/galleries/20...-center#388881

There's is way fancier than I would propose for an off Beale site but it hits my main points as doubling up as convention space but even better than what San Antonio has. There's seats 61,000 expandable to 71,000. A Memphis one would only need 50,000 expandable to 60,000. With the a fixed placed roof if it amounts to significantly saving cost instead of retractable. I'd like to see one end with glass facing northwest for skyline views. I like the use of liner buildings on one side for retail and eateries. Add a Southern Football Hall of Fame that covers folks from the region that went to the Pros and the strong college presence the region. I'm sure that thing is oozing in emenities that would be overkill for Memphis. Add in an attached 300+ room hotel and you have it. This need to be the 10 year goal for Memphis.
This is a nice stadium. Memphis does need to revamp the 10 year convention plan & Build a state of the art Stadium/convention center. UofM still making a push for Big 12 if that happens a new stadium will be a must. LB & AZ bowl games are selling out big time & a Southern Football HOF would be a nice touch for
a year round tourist attraction.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:54 AM

Haslam headed to Asia to sell Memphis megasite
Michael Sheffield, Senior Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Gov. Bill Haslam and ECD Commissioner Randy Boyd will spend 10 days working to attract Asian corporations to the Memphis Regional Megasite.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-megasite.html

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Haslam headed to Asia to sell Memphis megasite
Michael Sheffield, Senior Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-megasite.html
This is huge for Memphis & west tn. This could change the game a major auto manufacturer is just what we need. From reading up on this site 4100 acres could house 3 to seven major manufacturers. This is an amazing site.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisborn View Post
This is huge for Memphis & west tn. This could change the game a major auto manufacturer is just what we need. From reading up on this site 4100 acres could house 3 to seven major manufacturers. This is an amazing site.
Couple this with the new steel mill in Osceola and the fact more oem manufacturers would locate nearby and you have the potential up help the entire region. Now, if we could add bridges v1-1 and v1-7 for complete loop of Memphis

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 7:52 PM

In a WTF moment and would be an epic waste of taxpayer money....

.Millington is fishing for funding for commercial air service via the Small Community Air Service Development Program ( not to be confused with the EAS program):

Millington, Tennessee
Seeks $250,000 for marketing and ground handling assistance to recruit service to major East Coast destination such as New York/Newark, Washington, DC/Baltimore.

In other news...

So, the great big mystery is will the Big 12 expand this summer. If so, will Uof M get a call? I hope all goes well and the Tigers finally find their conference pot of gold. I have seen several out of town columnist take swipes at the Liberty Bowl. It only underscores that the continued throwing of money at it is wasteful. It will always be thirty years behind. It only underscores that in spite of the financial woes of the city, the City along with the U of M need to set a path for a Liberty Bowl replacement.

Here's what see.

The Convention folk have tagged updating Cook at 900 million. I can not get my head around that. The Music City Center would still be under 700 million in today's dollars.

If Memphis landed in the Big 12, conference mates would travel to Memphis like never before. It's feasible that highly ranked teams like Texas and OU could bring in 7,000 or even more and others could bring 3 to 7 thousand when it's clicking for them. Add in a solid non con game and that's attendance never before seen. That's a score for the hotel folk. The Liberty Bowl area is void of hotels.

A plan needs to cobbled toget her to have a convention center/ stadium combo located off Beale St. The recent new proposal for San Diego saw them incorporate convention space in with a proposed over 60,000 seat expandable to 70,000 for special events stadium. Being it is to be an NFL stadium with every imaginable upgrades and located in California, the price tag comes to a projected 1.8 billion. That is not what Memphis should come close to spending.

The bottom line is that a stadium immediately adjacent to or part of a convention center offers up over 125,000 square feet of columnless exhibition space in addition to whatever else is included. That already blows the space at Cook away. With the Cook already planning on 900 million, I can't help but think that for around 1 billion an entirely new facility with a stadium could be for that.

A MEMPHIS facility needs not be NFL spec. I envision a permanent or retractable roof facility that has about 49,000 permanent seats with the ability to expand via tem seating to 60,000, the multi levels need to be able to be blocke off when not in use. However, it can include much, much more to provide the Tigers, as the primary tenent, tl much needed revenue via a variety of seating options via loge, club and suite seating it just will never have at the Liberty Bowl.

It makes an attached 300 plus room hotel a no brainer and it puts convention goers and fans in the heart of the entertainment epicenter of Memphis.

It would offer Memphis Convention folk the ability to go after anything. Space would never be an issue.

It would offer Memphis a place to host new or larger versions of events in the market.

Give the Liberty Bowl Game a top notch, weatherproof facility that would solidify or improve it's standing in the bowl game hierarchy.

The existing Cook area would be a prime spot for a new office tower, it could give Cannon Center a standalone home with a nice plaza offering a buffer.

I've harped on this for a long time, but just makes more sense now more than ever. If Memphis is considered and turned down and a knock was the stadium it'll bring into the clear even more.

Timeline should be no later than 2025 for planning and construction.
Here's how I see funding.

Refocus planned 900 million on Cook to this.

University of Memphis pays 250 million for rent free use (,this is financed by Big 12 revenue windfall and donations by boosters. They would then share a portion of revenue generated on their events for operation costs

Sell Naming rights.

That's about 1.3 billion right there. The Tigers would be getting off cheap at that amount for a new, modern stadium.

Memphis should pursue a MLS team as a tenent as well. I call it balance with Nashville.

Nashville= NFL, NHL, Triple A baseball

Memphis= NBA, Triple A baseball, MLS?

Suggestions for the off Beale Location?

Here's mine the area within Union on the north, 4th on the west, Beale on the south, Danny Thomas on the east and Gayoso in the middle closed for facility . A glass endzone offering sky line views. The Beale Street section could include liner buildings that extend the entertainment district along with an entrances to the convention center/stadium. Integrated Parking structures would increase parking for Beale St. and other events like the Music Fest as well to generate revenue for facility.

Oh, it would also give Memphis a second stage for the Music Fest that would allow them to go after blockbuster names like Jazz and Heritage does.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; May 8, 2016 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
In a WTF moment and would be an epic waste of taxpayer money....

.Millington is fishing for funding for commercial air service via the Small Community Air Service Development Program ( not to be confused with the EAS program):

Millington, Tennessee
Seeks $250,000 for marketing and ground handling assistance to recruit service to major East Coast destination such as New York/Newark, Washington, DC/Baltimore.

In other news...

So, the great big mystery is will the Big 12 expand this summer. If so, will Uof M get a call? I hope all goes well and the Tigers finally find their conference pot of gold. I have seen several out of town columnist take swipes at the Liberty Bowl. It only underscores that the continued throwing of money at it is wasteful. It will always be thirty years behind. It only underscores that in spite of the financial woes of the city, the City along with the U of M need to set a path for a Liberty Bowl replacement.

Here's what see.

The Convention folk have tagged updating Cook at 900 million. I can not get my head around that. The Music City Center would still be under 700 million in today's dollars.

If Memphis landed in the Big 12, conference mates would travel to Memphis like never before. It's feasible that highly ranked teams like Texas and OU could bring in 7,000 or even more and others could bring 3 to 7 thousand when it's clicking for them. Add in a solid non con game and that's attendance never before seen. That's a score for the hotel folk. The Liberty Bowl area is void of hotels.

A plan needs to cobbled toget her to have a convention center/ stadium combo located off Beale St. The recent new proposal for San Diego saw them incorporate convention space in with a proposed over 60,000 seat expandable to 70,000 for special events stadium. Being it is to be an NFL stadium with every imaginable upgrades and located in California, the price tag comes to a projected 1.8 billion. That is not what Memphis should come close to spending.

The bottom line is that a stadium immediately adjacent to or part of a convention center offers up over 125,000 square feet of columnless exhibition space in addition to whatever else is included. That already blows the space at Cook away. With the Cook already planning on 900 million, I can't help but think that for around 1 billion an entirely new facility with a stadium could be for that.

A MEMPHIS facility needs not be NFL spec. I envision a permanent or retractable roof facility that has about 49,000 permanent seats with the ability to expand via tem seating to 60,000, the multi levels need to be able to be blocke off when not in use. However, it can include much, much more to provide the Tigers, as the primary tenent, tl much needed revenue via a variety of seating options via loge, club and suite seating it just will never have at the Liberty Bowl.

It makes an attached 300 plus room hotel a no brainer and it puts convention goers and fans in the heart of the entertainment epicenter of Memphis.

It would offer Memphis Convention folk the ability to go after anything. Space would never be an issue.

It would offer Memphis a place to host new or larger versions of events in the market.

Give the Liberty Bowl Game a top notch, weatherproof facility that would solidify or improve it's standing in the bowl game hierarchy.

The existing Cook area would be a prime spot for a new office tower, it could give Cannon Center a standalone home with a nice plaza offering a buffer.

I've harped on this for a long time, but just makes more sense now more than ever. If Memphis is considered and turned down and a knock was the stadium it'll bring into the clear even more.

Timeline should be no later than 2025 for planning and construction.
Here's how I see funding.

Refocus planned 900 million on Cook to this.

University of Memphis pays 250 million for rent free use (,this is financed by Big 12 revenue windfall and donations by boosters. They would then share a portion of revenue generated on their events for operation costs

Sell Naming rights.

That's about 1.3 billion right there. The Tigers would be getting off cheap at that amount for a new, modern stadium.

Memphis should pursue a MLS team as a tenent as well. I call it balance with Nashville.

Nashville= NFL, NHL, Triple A baseball

Memphis= NBA, Triple A baseball, MLS?

Suggestions for the off Beale Location?

Here's mine the area within Union on the north, 4th on the west, Beale on the south, Danny Thomas on the east and Gayoso in the middle closed for facility . A glass endzone offering sky line views. The Beale Street section could include liner buildings that extend the entertainment district along with an entrances to the convention center/stadium. Integrated Parking structures would increase parking for Beale St. and other events like the Music Fest as well to generate revenue for facility.

Oh, it would also give Memphis a second stage for the Music Fest that would allow them to go after blockbuster names like Jazz and Heritage does.
I couldn't agree more with the concept of a Stadium/Convention center proposal. I can c 50,000 expandable to 60,000. I agree it would open the door to go after more major events ie essence fest etc. Im in agreement with most of your points except MLS i went recently to PSBL game Memphis City FC vs Little Rock @ Mike rose stadium fan support was not close to showing we can or would support MLS, Attendance was close to 600 if that. That my friend is not big league support. Memphis has historically been a minor league soccer city sorry those are the facts. I do see your vision on all other points & think they are well presented.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with the concept of a Stadium/Convention center proposal. I can c 50,000 expandable to 60,000. I agree it would open the door to go after more major events ie essence fest etc. Im in agreement with most of your points except MLS i went recently to PSBL game Memphis City FC vs Little Rock @ Mike rose stadium fan support was not close to showing we can or would support MLS, Attendance was close to 600 if that. That my friend is not big league support. Memphis has historically been a minor league soccer city sorry those are the facts. I do see your vision on all other points & think they are well presented.
You can not base the potential success or failure of a MLS team base on scrub pro leagues. Take all the fledgling pro basketball teams that started and failed up to the Grizzies. I get what you are saying but it's apples and oranges. The only way to know, is to try. If it fails, it moves it's that simple and an MLS team should not be make or break.

Anywho, there's this:

On Feb. 24, Memphis president David Rudd penned a letter to Gee and copied Oklahoma president David Boren and Baylor president Ken Starr, the other two members of the composition committee, as well as former Big 12 board chairman and Kansas State president Kirk Schulz. In the letter, Rudd pledged that Memphis will make a $500 million investment in academic and athletic infrastructure over the next five years. Rudd also enclosed a letter from FedEx chairman Fred Smith, who stated that the delivery services giant headquartered in Memphis will be behind the school's Big 12 campaign.

"We strongly support the university's efforts to become a member of an expanded Big 12 athletic conference," Smith wrote to Rudd in a letter dated Feb. 23. "In support of [Memphis'] Big 12 aspirations, we have researched college conference sponsorships and are prepared to become a major Big 12 sponsor of football and basketball."

Smith also wrote that FedEx would be prepared to sponsor a Big 12 championship game.

"We believe the University of Memphis and the Big 12 are a great fit and hope our support will contribute to the University of Memphis becoming a member of this storied athletic conference in the near future," Smith wrote

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tate-expansion

Let's do some simple math. The letter states that there would be up to 500 million put toward Tiger athletics and academics.

Using generous figures:

30 million for planned coed basketball practice facility

25 million for continued upgrades for baseball and softball facilities

10 million on track and soccer facilities

30 million for academic support center

That's about around 100 million with a couple of things not listed included.

I did not include the new indoor football practice field because I think previous donations have mostly covered it.

400 million more to go. I can not see more than 100 million for academics, so that's 300 million of unknown and support for the smallest of teams both women and men..

So let's reveiw:

Take the projected 900 million in Cook renovations and shift it to a new facility (Music Center Center in Nashville was around 700 million in today's money)

U of M adds 200 to 300 million to the pot for very favorable usage terms and revenue sharing as the man tenent. If Memphis gets B12 invite, the new revenue windfall would certainly help underwrite their contribution.

Build new CC/Stadium Combo between Union and Beale using both sides of Danny Thomas.

Have a 300 plus room hotel tower attached.

Sell Naming rights

So, for below or up to 1.5 billion, Memphis could get a new convention center the equal of Music City Center but with an attached stadium that has 125,000 more square ft of column free space possibly with a hotel as part of the mix.

Memphis gets sports synergy like all other big cites with the the ballfield, stadium and arena all within walking distance of each other right on top it's famed Beale Street and growing residential South Main District. In fact, if designed right, it extends Beale by use of liner buildings along the south part of new CC/Stadium.

Memphis gains a prime spot for a large tower at the old Cook

With the potential FedEx Sponsorship, posible hosting of Big 12 championships in Baseball, basketball and yes maybe even football could come to downtown Memphis.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; May 11, 2016 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 4:04 PM

All of that would be awesome but unfortunately I think it will be a long while before the city seriously looks at replacing the Liberty Bowl since they've put a lot of money into it recently to improve it and I saw Strickland say he was actually against Tiger Lane improvements because he doesn't like spending money on things like that. But eventually they will have to replace--- I've always thought an on campus stadium would be good but if they can pull something together to go bigger it's a great idea. Hopefully whenever the time comes the city is better off financially and can shoot for more. And on top of that I really hope we get the Big 12 invite and FedEx throwing their name out for sponsorships could only help. Will boost the school and bring in much more $$.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
All of that would be awesome but unfortunately I think it will be a long while before the city seriously looks at replacing the Liberty Bowl since they've put a lot of money into it recently to improve it and I saw Strickland say he was actually against Tiger Lane improvements because he doesn't like spending money on things like that. But eventually they will have to replace--- I've always thought an on campus stadium would be good but if they can pull something together to go bigger it's a great idea. Hopefully whenever the time comes the city is better off financially and can shoot for more. And on top of that I really hope we get the Big 12 invite and FedEx throwing their name out for sponsorships could only help. Will boost the school and bring in much more $$.
I agree with Strickland. Why continue to put lipstick on a pig. The number one issue with the Liberty Bowl isn't that it's not good for viewing(the sightlines are great) but there is very little that can be done to it to bring it into the 21st Century. There will never be any club seats, loge suites or lower level suites without basically rebuilding it. The location stinks, there's no lodging, eating, drinking or much of anything within walking distance of it. Why try to create it when it exists already downtown.

As for the On Campus Stadium. I've seen the plans that were drawn up a few years. They are nice. Still there's the lack of parking. Traffic nightmares would insue. Local neighborhoods would go off the NIMBY ledge. Add to the fact that most all sports facilities are being located on the South Campus and it gets sillier. It would do nothing for the Liberty Bowl Game and the Liberty Bowl itself would fall further behind with basically two events in it. The Good Ship Practical sailed from campus long ago.

From what I see, this is't asking all that much more than what was being planned on outlays already. Like I said the Cook folk see 900 million for reno. That's insanely high compared to Music City Center. It would be better spent on new, ground up construction.

This is totally dependant on Memphis getting in a major conference. It makes it so much more doable.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; May 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:15 PM

Yeah I agree on the Cook for sure if they're spending that much to just look at other possibilities at least to compare. And I think on the stadium future they have for at least the past ten years or so had a kind of "wait and see where we end up" thought before any bigger commitments. Obviously with a boost to the P5 there will be a lot more money to be had for better facilities and more stable ground to work with. Either way always thought they'd all do something that would benefit the school, Liberty Bowl game and SHC as well. We shall see at some point in the future.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree on the Cook for sure if they're spending that much to just look at other possibilities at least to compare. And I think on the stadium future they have for at least the past ten years or so had a kind of "wait and see where we end up" thought before any bigger commitments. Obviously with a boost to the P5 there will be a lot more money to be had for better facilities and more stable ground to work with. Either way always thought they'd all do something that would benefit the school, Liberty Bowl game and SHC as well. We shall see at some point in the future.
This City is a great sports city & we have shown we deserve this opportunity to go big 12. I think our city leaders will have some rethinking to do if/when this happens. There is no way we can overlook the need for a big league stadium to host Texas OU in a championship game. We need to have better vision from our leaders on this CC proposal. I have the numbers around 1 billion for a retractable roof stadium/cc thats with a 300 room hotel. The revenue for downtown would be amazng. As mentioned before this would also solve our problem with attracting huge events. we would go from a third tier convention city to a top tier convention city immediately.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
This City is a great sports city & we have shown we deserve this opportunity to go big 12. I think our city leaders will have some rethinking to do if/when this happens. There is no way we can overlook the need for a big league stadium to host Texas OU in a championship game. We need to have better vision from our leaders on this CC proposal. I have the numbers around 1 billion for a retractable roof stadium/cc thats with a 300 room hotel. The revenue for downtown would be amazng. As mentioned before this would also solve our problem with attracting huge events. we would go from a third tier convention city to a top tier convention city immediately.
Very crude idea of new CC/Stadium and location

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:10 AM

HQ consolidation creates Memphis' largest private company
Ed Arnold, Digital producer and social engagement manager/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The company said it will invest $915,000 and create 70 jobs as part of the consolidation. Evergreen will occupy 40,000 square feet along with its sister companies, Closure Systems International (CSI) and Graham Packaging Company (Graham), either by adding 17,000 square feet at its current location at 5350 Poplar Ave. or by relocating to another building in the East Memphis submarket. All three companies taken together comprise 127 global manufacturing facilities in 36 countries, 14,000 employees and revenues of approximately $5.5 billion annually. That revenue level will make it the largest private company in Memphis, more than doubling current No. 1 Cargill Cotton's $1.9 billion in revenue. Before ServiceMaster went public in 2014, it was the largest private company in Memphis, with $3.3 billion in revenue.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...t-private.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$5.5 Billion Company Stakes Headquarters in Memphis
By Madeline Faber/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
At the March EDGE meeting, Evergreen said the PILOT was a major consideration in deciding to locate to Memphis. The company was also considering moving the headquarters to York, Pa.; Lake Forest, Ill.; Charlotte, N.C.; or Indianapolis.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...-packaging-hq/

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:31 AM

Developers request two Pinch District street closures
Michelle Corbet, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Developers Henry and Alex Turley requested two street closures in the Pinch District.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ct-street.html

LRK

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:37 AM

Pink Palace museum to begin next phase of master plan
Meagan Nichols, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The Pink Palace Museum is part way through its multiyear master plan, but the biggest projects are yet to come.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-phase-of.html

MBJ

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:14 AM

Wayward, I really like where your head is at.

I think clustering the entertainment areas/venues will help attract big time hotel options and ultimately help expand high density urban development to the east side of DT Memphis.

A stadium/CC combo would be a game changer for Memphis in terms of attracting private development. And I think such a proposal would also be attractive for a Big 5 conference (see: Big XII) to potentially pick up UM. Make it happen sooner rather than later!

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvol85 View Post
Wayward, I really like where your head is at.

I think clustering the entertainment areas/venues will help attract big time hotel options and ultimately help expand high density urban development to the east side of DT Memphis.

A stadium/CC combo would be a game changer for Memphis in terms of attracting private development. And I think such a proposal would also be attractive for a Big 5 conference (see: Big XII) to potentially pick up UM. Make it happen sooner rather than later!

Thanks

If you look at that pic you'll see Church Park on the bottom left, immediately east of the FedEx Forum. That's tailgating. Further to you east would be Hunt Phelan House. That place is meant for Alumni type functions pre and post game as well as tailgating. Remove the union local meeting hall at the se corner of Danny Thomas and Beale. What to do with the Housing Authority Midrise? Raze It and replace elsewhere? Danny Thomas give you multiple way to arrive and get out. Folks can head north to 40, east to 240 or south to I-55

I think the really unsung part of it would be if it was a retractable roof, it would make for a perfect venue for the Music Fest to bring in the really big headliners like the Jazz and Heritage and Bonnaroo can do with the race track and amp. I'd keep Tom Lee Park the mix but this would be the main stage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations