HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:41 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Phew. If they keep that gorgeous stone facade, I'm thrilled with this news.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 1:54 AM

Some things trump heritage buildings and the work the Salvation Army does is one of them. I guess it is possible they could move elsewhere, but I think it'd better for them to have a proper facility to help people then just keeping a heritage building standing for the sake of it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Wow...this came out of nowhere! Sounds like council now has a gun to its head to approve the demolition before March 31st.
I stand corrected, it sounds like the City has known about these plans for 18 months, which begs the question why are they only now raising the issue of heritage protection. Once again it seems like a lot of things go on in secret behind closed doors down at the Bunker.

I'm softening my stance a little now if the, as still unseen, new proposal is for an 8-10 story replacement building and an effort to save/incorporate some of the existing facade.

It is still a shame however that we (the taxpayers) have to now put our blind faith in this council to approve whatever will be proposed. Once the building is demolished there will be no turning back.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It does bother me that they would vote to demolish a heritage property without knowing what will replace it. I hope Architype's warning of a surface parking lot doesn't come to pass.

At least we have Dave Lane on council now. I actually try that things will get more open. These things are all holdovers from the previous council. He's only learning about them as they come up (to him) for the first time, and spreading the word right away.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:03 PM

Signal Hill Gate Addition.

Here is the link to info on the Signal Hill Gate project. It is the Signal Hill Gate Building, Not the town-houses that are being added to.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...0Lane%20ad.pdf

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jama Lama View Post
Here is the link to info on the Signal Hill Gate project. It is the Signal Hill Gate Building, Not the town-houses that are being added to.

not bad! and it gets rid of a parking lot! however, it NEEDS a splash of colour! at least in the part off the street.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh wow, thanks for the correction Da Jama.

I really like that proposal. Looks cute, suits the area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:42 PM

Looks fine...seems like a no-brainer, can't see why a decision on this was deferred yet the big rubber stamp came out for the SA demolition.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 3:55 PM

Same blocked views bullshit is being raised again... I have to wonder, WHO's view of WHAT would be blocked by this? all I can see is four rowhouses that will lose their view of more rowhouses.

The opposition in this city really is getting ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Looks fine...seems like a no-brainer, can't see why a decision on this was deferred yet the big rubber stamp came out for the SA demolition.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jama Lama View Post

Looks good, but I'd like to see it a little more colorful to try and blend in with the area. This building will be situated next to the oldest building in the city so

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Looks good, but I'd like to see it a little more colorful to try and blend in with the area. This building will be situated next to the oldest building in the city so
Wow...thats what people are complaining about with regards to views? Ridiculous. I think it looks nice anyway.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
Same blocked views bullshit is being raised again... I have to wonder, WHO's view of WHAT would be blocked by this? all I can see is four rowhouses that will lose their view of more rowhouses.

The opposition in this city really is getting ridiculous.
Apparently the opposition is from this crowd. http://www.iddel.ca/our-team

I guess they own the rights to the entire signal hill area given they were there first.. lol. They are complaining about the height, even though it is only 2 stories and the zone allows for 3. As for views, there is no view plane in that area so they have no grounds from complaint.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:36 PM

^seems about right. A bunch of complaining over nothing.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
We will all have to sit together in case the rubber boot squad rises up against anyone supporting it.

Having been to a few of these public meetings (for and against) it seems like, in most cases, only those opposed take the time to show. If we all show and increase the numbers the press may misinterpret it. Can't win.

Perhaps the owner of the Red Orche would be willing to sell her property so that the lighthouse could be bigger. Same goes for the owner of the Classic Cafe.
From VOCM look like she wants a large turn out again this project this evening.

Quote:
A St. John's businesswoman wants a large turnout for a public meeting tonight on a proposed new hotel development for the east end of Duckworth Street. Brenda McLellan, owner of the Red Ochre Gallery on Duckworth, says tonight's meeting is a last-ditch effort to tell the city that the proposed development simply doesn't fit in with the heritage character of the area. She says when she expressed those concerns to a councillor she was told to 'grow up'.

Tonight's public meeting gets underway at 7:00 in the EB Foran Room at St. John's city hall. VOCM News will be there to bring you the news first.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:44 PM

Just saw on CBC-NL facebook page they are running a story tonight titled "Has the great St. John's condo boom gone bust?". Should be interesting to watch. What does everyone think? To me it seems like the majority of the condo projects proposed havent' even started, so I hope it hasn't bust yet...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:45 PM

Complaining about the height of a two story building... I've always been interested in subterranean structures but I'd never force them on anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Just saw on CBC-NL facebook page they are running a story tonight titled "Has the great St. John's condo boom gone bust?". Should be interesting to watch. What does everyone think? To me it seems like the majority of the condo projects proposed havent' even started, so I hope it hasn't bust yet...
Gone bust? When did it start? All we got was a bunch of proposals, and a couple small scale projects in the suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:27 PM

Salvation Army Hopes to Begin Demolition ASAP

Quote:
The Salvation Army says it hopes to begin tearing down its two buildings on Springdale Street in St. John's as soon as possible now that it's been given the go-ahead to do so by St. John's City Council. An effort to have the buildings designated as heritage structures was voted down last night.

Major Ken Ritson says one of the buildings has been vacant for ten years, while the other, the old Harbour Light building, had to be abandoned recently after a pipe burst, causing extensive damage. Ritson says the plans have been in the works for some time, and they hope to develop a bigger building to meet the needs of the clients they serve. He says the current buildings are not big enough and too outdated to meet their needs. He says there's not enough parking and to accommodate the parking needs, they'd have to disturb contaminated soil beneath the buildings.

Major Ritson says in the interim, the Salvation Army is being accommodated in the George Street United Church, where it operates its programs on alternate dates to similar programs offered by the United Church.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...44186&latest=1

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So they already don't have enough parking, but they cannot disturb the soil and provide any parking underground.

Well, there goes my hope for this lot.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
So they already don't have enough parking, but they cannot disturb the soil and provide any parking underground.

Well, there goes my hope for this lot.
someone didn't listen to the actual interview lol. They said that as it stands they cannot disturb the contaminated soil but they have already agreed that when redeveloping they WILL REPLACE the contaminated soil so they can provide parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's