HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Is the West reno the new Goro and Gun ramen shop? I know it's opening in some of that space.
This was in regards to the +30 and patio portion. I'm guessing they are coming back with a concept that will try to bring people to the +30 portion year round as the current setup was more a dark nightclub, with overpriced mediocre food.

Goro + Gun is set to open in March on the +15 level.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I’m afraid that this post might come off as pretentious so I apologize in advance.

I find the antique dark wooden interiors for pubs ghastly. This design-style is to interior design what Stampetechture is to architecture; its fauxpub. Instead of helping to make the pub look authentic and aesthetically pleasing, it comes off as gimmicky, insincere and fake. It is shame because the time and money put toward making the pub an inviting space could have been spent on an interior design that would make the place looking interesting and like the actual pub the owners are trying to replicate or mimic.

Most of the old world pubs with wooden interiors that I’ve been to were locals that were either dilapidated or not an investment. Basically, these pubs were akin to the neighbourhood pubs you’ll find in strip-malls over here which is something I doubt the owners are of the B&B are looking to replicate. I will admit that I have been in pubs in England that have had nice older-style wooden interiors but these were old pubs that had renovated and kept things rather authentic; something I believe pubs like the B&B are not.

Instead of trying to mimic a style of design from which quality pubs are moving away, I think places like the B&B should relish the great opportunity to achieve their goal (i.e. attracting customer interest through interior design).
I'd would've agreed with you had your post been referencing Hudson's one of the many other faux-pubs in the city, but considering the decor of the Bank of Nova Scotia building (built 1930) I don't think they could have gone with any other style without compromising the historical character of the space.

I was in the B&B last week and I the results of the renovation have turned out very well. They've managed to turn a what was a cavernous space into something more cozy while still maintaining the unique feel of the building.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
It's gotta be tough to make a profit when you're only busy 3 months of the year. The patio is fantastic but the interior portion of West leaves much to be desired. I bet they come back with a new concept for spring - hopefully with better food.
Better food and hotter waitresses. I found both a tad disappointing compared to similar places.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 7:41 PM

Just noticed that Hudson's on 12th is advertising doubles for $9. I have two questions.

1)Isn't illegal to advertise drink specials in Albeta?

2)As a non-drinker, when did $9 for a double start being a good deal?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:06 PM

I didn't think it was illegal, and that isn't a very good deal. Triple for that price, you have a deal!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I didn't think it was illegal, and that isn't a very good deal. Triple for that price, you have a deal!
Geez - Denny Andrews used to have 3-for-1 Wednesdays back in the day (yeah, I'm that old...)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Just noticed that Hudson's on 12th is advertising doubles for $9. I have two questions.

1)Isn't illegal to advertise drink specials in Albeta?

2)As a non-drinker, when did $9 for a double start being a good deal?
The year before the liquor rules kicked in the Drum was doing a 10$ quad night weekly. It was, for lack of a better term, awesome.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:42 PM

It didn't strike me as much of a deal. I remember Kings Head on Macleod having some ridiculous drink specials back in the 90's. I think it was triples for the price of a single.

When I still lived in Edmonton, there was a place called H2O that had 99 cent highballs every Tuesday. Even watered down, one could get blotted for $20 if you didn't eat and drank really fast.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 10:18 PM
BANNED

9 bucks for a double isn't anything special at all, even in Calgary. Having said that, it's all about pre-drinking.

Somebody please tell me the former Melrose site isn't going to sit empty all summer in such as prime location with that huge patio? Maybe i'm just being cranky in anticipation of another polar vortex coming through!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 11:02 PM

For a little while The Taz had $0.25 singles on Thursdays. I think it lasted less than a month before the realized 100 of us from University kept showing up at 8:00, loading the tables up with drinks enough to last all night.

The Night Gallery had $2.00 doubles for quite awhile though. Those were the days...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For a little while The Taz had $0.25 singles on Thursdays. I think it lasted less than a month before the realized 100 of us from University kept showing up at 8:00, loading the tables up with drinks enough to last all night.

The Night Gallery had $2.00 doubles for quite awhile though. Those were the days...
I never set foot in the Taz but I was a fixture at the Gallery. I miss those giant bottles of Newcastle Brown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:28 AM

Ah yes, the Newkie Browns were always a good go-to. How I miss that place and its flying saucer disco ball. The bartenders were first class too. And pinball in the corner was an awesome touch.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:33 AM

Has anyone heard more about that tiffen service?
This clip reminded me of it.
http://vimeo.com/60748502

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Has anyone heard more about that tiffen service?
This clip reminded me of it.
http://vimeo.com/60748502
Which tiffin service? Tiffin's has tiffins but not bike riding tiffin wallas.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Which tiffin service? Tiffin's has tiffins but not bike riding tiffin wallas.
http://www.tiffinwallayyc.com/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks artvandelay.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:18 PM

Looks like Parker House has turned into Swine and Sow. Just what this city needs is another arugula salad with goat cheese and beets. This keeps up and we're going to have a shortage of arugula.

[URL="http://swineandsow.com[/URL]

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:32 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Looks like Parker House has turned into Swine and Sow. Just what this city needs is another arugula salad with goat cheese and beets. This keeps up and we're going to have a shortage of arugula.

With a name like that they better serve bacon!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:

lol did you just get a company email on it too?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:

hey now that's not just any arugula, it's hotchkiss arugula.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation