HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 12:26 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post

I actually thought authentic chicago deep dish was significantly deeper than that. Am I wrong?
This is perfect dimension-wise. The side crusts are about an inch or so high. Trust me, this is as perfect as I've seen it outside Chicago (Milwaukee-Madison-NW Indiana etc). I am not only relieved- I am amazed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 1:32 AM

Good to hear about Benson Hurst. What's their beer selection like?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:02 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Can't help you there, sorry. Had tap water, didn't even pay attention to the bevs menu.

Bensonhurst. One word.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Fairly minimal. I think it was six taps, two of which were Village Brewery (the rest didn't have labelled handles). The bartender was also talking about some beer from Brooklyn, but I don't remember what it was. Not sure if they have more selection in bottles.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:12 AM
BANNED

Via Cibo's surprisingly tasty for the suburbs. Had the prosciutto and arugula pizza, was not disappointed. Would go back to try their pasta dishes or panini.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Can't help you there, sorry. Had tap water, didn't even pay attention to the bevs menu.

Bensonhurst. One word.
I wasn't sure. Their sparse webpage's title shows it as two words for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post
Fairly minimal. I think it was six taps, two of which were Village Brewery (the rest didn't have labelled handles). The bartender was also talking about some beer from Brooklyn, but I don't remember what it was. Not sure if they have more selection in bottles.
Good enough for me. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post
Hope it's the Brooklyn Blast. Nothing better than a relatively smooth 9% beer to get a quick buzz on. I don't think National is carrying it anymore, or maybe it's just a seasonal beer for them.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:14 PM
Here and There

I picked the WRONG time to leave the beltline!! These food choices that are popping up everywhere are AMAZING.

I suppose Bridgeland and Renfrew are pretty good as well.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:23 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I picked the WRONG time to leave the beltline!! These food choices that are popping up everywhere are AMAZING.

I suppose Bridgeland and Renfrew are pretty good as well.
They weren't before? Where were you when Khao San, 80th and Ivy, Cibo, Kan Pai, Farm, Borgo, UNA, Ox and Angela, National, Los Chilitos, etc, etc, etc, opened?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:47 PM
BANNED

^i think he meant there are even more popping up, which is definitely true. Big increase in the number of quality options over the past few years with a lot more coming.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:08 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
^i think he meant there are even more popping up, which is definitely true. Big increase in the number of quality options over the past few years with a lot more coming.
Definitely. I love living off 17th. New food options all the time. Thinking of going to Bensonhurst in the next couple of weeks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:02 AM
BANNED

Reno's at Earls tin palace in Mission are finished. Some people dining inside, prob still employee training. Joyce and the rest of that strip are also getting closer to a re-open. Anju's coming along, and a new wine and cheese bistro called Gallo Nero -I think, is opening at the former Sals on 17th bar.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:32 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Reno's at Earls tin palace in Mission are finished. Some people dining inside, prob still employee training. Joyce and the rest of that strip are also getting closer to a re-open. Anju's coming along, and a new wine and cheese bistro called Gallo Nero -I think, is opening at the former Sals on 17th bar.
I wonder if there is a connection with Il Gallo Nero which was ruined in the flood and still boarded up? I had lunch recently at Villa Maria on 17th and the owner said the Il Gallo Nero people had no plans to re-open but maybe they have decided to re-locate. Villa Maria was badly flooded and closed for 6 months. Everything is new at Villa Maria, but it is really old school with a formal dining room and great traditional Italian food.

Today I was the first customer at the new Fatburger on Macleod Trail at 71 Av where Dobsons was. It is an awkward narrow space with the front entrance at the back and the back door facing Macleod. I know they have other locations around town, but this was my first time. I liked my burger and I liked that it wasn't a huge monstrosity of bun and patty. I guess I could have ordered a double burger, but the single was fine for me.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 3:40 PM
BANNED

^Sorry, just walked by today and noticed it's actually called Gallo or Galla wine and cheese bistro(can't believe I already forgot!), so not sure if there's a connection. Looks like there's a lot of work going on in there.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:02 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
^Sorry, just walked by today and noticed it's actually called Gallo or Galla wine and cheese bistro(can't believe I already forgot!), so not sure if there's a connection. Looks like there's a lot of work going on in there.
Gallo just means rooster in Spanish and Italian and Nero is black in Italian (Negro in Spanish). So there is a chance it is just a coincidence of two restaurants being called the Black Rooster.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:25 PM
Here and There

I live inner city before 17th ave had a revival.........remember, i made the claim that 17th was "dead" quite a few years ago? Then things just started changing like crazy, almost overnight. So happy to see the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
They weren't before? Where were you when Khao San, 80th and Ivy, Cibo, Kan Pai, Farm, Borgo, UNA, Ox and Angela, National, Los Chilitos, etc, etc, etc, opened?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I live inner city before 17th ave had a revival.........remember, i made the claim that 17th was "dead" quite a few years ago? Then things just started changing like crazy, almost overnight. So happy to see the changes.
You're crazy.

Most of the places listed have been around for at least a couple years. 17th is getting better, but it hasn't been "dead" for a very long time...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:34 PM
Here and There

I cant wait for Galla Winehouse and Bistro to fail. The manager is a moron and lives in our building. I heard a woman screaming one night from up in his suite and called the police. He has parties (or just loud banging) almost every night and is the cockroach of our building. His girlfriend wears heals on the laminate floor and the girl below wants to "off" both of them.....lol. She spoke with me about the problems on the 4th floor last night.........

Ranting Done

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:35 PM
Here and There

It was brutal 5 years ago!! None of those places were there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
You're crazy.

Most of the places listed have been around for at least a couple years. 17th is getting better, but it hasn't been "dead" for a very long time...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Today I was the first customer at the new Fatburger on Macleod Trail at 71 Av where Dobsons was. It is an awkward narrow space with the front entrance at the back and the back door facing Macleod. I know they have other locations around town, but this was my first time. I liked my burger and I liked that it wasn't a huge monstrosity of bun and patty. I guess I could have ordered a double burger, but the single was fine for me.
Fatburger has the closest thing to a Philly you can get in Calgary with their "baguette" sandwiches that are sort of to the side of the rest of the menu- I've only had the chicken one but they also have one with ribeye. They don't mince the chicken on the flat top, which is too bad, but it's on a nice toasty but soft baguette and is huge. They also have what I'd say are the best fast-food fries anywhere. Unfortunately, they don't have the "fat fries" that are on their US menu (that'd be what we called "steak fries" in the States) but the regular ones are amazing. I love that these guys are in Bankers Hall- great place to grab lunch on a Saturday, when it's not the clusterfuck it is on weekdays.

Partner got a turkey burger when we were there last weekend and gave it thumbs up. Pricey for fast food but huge portions and excellent quality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation