HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

matchbook detail / ebay

So am I correct in saying the "modern" mid-century Eaton's replaced this location? 12010 Ventura Blvd. is near Laurel Canyon.
I don't know if one replaced the other, but here's what I've found. Google Maps initially took me to the wrong location when I asked for "12010 Ventura Boulevard". The address is actually very close to Laurel Canyon Boulevard. I'm pretty sure that the building I've arrowed on this 1952 aerial is Eatons. It looks like there was a circular drive-in on the corner of Ventura and Laurel Canyon Boulevards.

Historic Aerials

Assuming I'm looking in the right place, the Eatons building disappeared as early as the 1970s - the 1972 image is unclear, but it's definitely gone by 1978. The site is now part of Trader Joe's parking lot.

Google Maps

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
7 TH and Hill. Looking at the 7th street side. I remember going to the Blimpies only once as a kid back in 83' when I used to go to Downtown LA with my grandmother. But we used to hit the McDonald's on the corner of 7th and hill more often late 1970's to mis 80's. It was a Sunday treat. That Mc Donald's had two entrances to it. On Hill and 7th ST. Good memories there. It had the coolest ceiling fans too. They were paddles connected by long belts to a single motor.

If anybody remembers that unique feature please share your memories!

Now I see the place where the Blimpie's is the whole building is the International Jewelry Mart! And the building next door lost it's fire escapes. I had to go to Downtown 2 weeks ago to do Jury Duty and took time to walk around and take pix of my old roaming grounds. I didn't like what I saw as the hipsters have taken over the nitty-gritty Downtown I remember as a kid.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0462...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Thanks So-Cal_Bear for figuring out the location of the slide (below).

eBay

Blimpies Shuttle Bus?

I just noticed the color scheme on the bus (the one in front of the Blimpies) matches the Blimpies color scheme.
even the rectangular border around the Blimpies sign matches the striped roof of the bus.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 24, 2015 at 12:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 12:43 AM

I happened across this eye-catching postcard a few months ago on eBay.

eBay

Oakley's Barber Shop, 1051 Broxton Avenue, Westwood Village.

reverse

I could be wrong, but I believe the Oakley's Barber Shop space on Broxton is now a Japanese restaurant. (u can check it out on gsv)

__

After further googling I came across a video of the history of Oakley's: Below are a few screengrabs.

This is Oakley's when it was located in the Bank of America Building, Westwood. (I'm unsure of the exact address)

http://www.oakleysbarbershop.com/history.html

below: This black & white photograph is very similar to the color postcard I found on eBay...but this image is dated 1946!
(I thought the color postcard was much later than 1946. -I was leaning towards the late 1950s or early 1960s. (I think I was wrong)

below: You can clearly see the mezzanine a.k.a. "Boys Shop" in this undated photograph. (the "Boys Shop" is mentioned on the reverse of the color postcard at the top of this post)

It turns out, Oakley's Barbershop is still in business at 1061 Gayley Avenue.

You can watch the 3:02 minute video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-c...ature=youtu.be

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 24, 2015 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
We've seen Eatons Restaurants and some of their menus before, but I think this location is new to NLA. This is Julius Shulman's "Job 610: Douglas Honnold, Eatons Restaurant (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1949", and the summary says "12010 Ventura Boulevard, Studio City (Los Angeles, Calif.), now demolished." The photographs have index numbers of 9 and 12, so I'm guessing that Mr Shulman took more shots than the two available here. Check out the illuminated chicken ...

... and the illuminated pig.

Both from Getty Research Institute

As the description says, the restaurant has gone, and I haven't even found any wider shots or postcards of it. Here's an advert from the June 19, 1952 edition of The Van Nuys News which confirms the address.

www.newspapers.com

This may be the interior of the restaurant above, but even the source is unsure. This is "Job 697: Eatons Restaurant, seating,1950" and the summary says "For Schafer Brothers. Architect is probably Douglas Honnold, probably located in Studio City."

All from Getty Research Institute
Both the chicken and the interior wall decor bear a resemblance to the UPA animated cartoons of the '50s. I wonder if a UPA artist might have supplied the decor for this restaurant?

Last edited by John Maddox Roberts; Oct 24, 2015 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
Both the chicken and the interior wall decor bear a resemblance to the UPA anumated cartoons of the '50s. I wonder if a UPA artist might have supplied the decor for this restaurant?
That's an interesting hypothesis John Maddox Roberts.

detail / the 'atomic' chicken

I wasn't able to locate an UPA chicken for comparison JMR, but I found this UPA 'style' beaver.

http://animationresources.org/design-upa-done-right-2/

Having grown up in the 1960s (I was born in 1960) I have a certain affinity with the UPA Cartoons. (Mr. MaGoo comes to mind)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 24, 2015 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:54 AM

UPA was famous for its minimalist, semi-abstract renditions of people, animals, etc., in sharp contrast to Disney, WB, et al. This reminds me strongly of those images of my youth (born 1947).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 2:03 AM

Original Photo from LAT out there of 107 S. Flores?

After doing some research, I found a photo of the building that I live in on South Flores Street in LA just after it was built in 1936. It's located in what was then called "Beverly Park" which was, I believe, formerly a driving range between Sweeter Avenues and Orlando on the east and west respectively and between Beverly and W. 3rd on the north and south. (Any info on the driving range? Perhaps I'll find a golf ball buried deep in my front garden!) By the way, can all you who know the history of the area well spot the oil derricks in the background that sat in the middle of La Cienega Blvd in front of what is now the Beverly Center?

In any case, the photocopy is of poor quality, as you can see. If anyone can find the original or scan a copy, I would love that. It's so fascinating to find an old pic of someplace I call "home."

Photobucket: http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/...pszahnhixo.png

And here's a copy of the building permit. Interestingly, my building was designed/contracted by the same designer/contractor as the Chateau Marmont and El Royale: W. Douglas Lee:

Photobucket: http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/...psmav8ryo4.png

Last edited by OLeander5-5225; Oct 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
'mystery' photo.

Kevin McCollister, https://thephotobook.wordpress.com/2...st-of-west-la/

Do any of noirish sleuths recognize this entrance?
__

answer:

This is one of two front entrances to the United States Post Office Terminal Annex at Union Station.

https://www.google.com/search?q=los+...Zurrx-TiceM%3A

You can clearly see the over-sized lanterns.
__

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
UPA was famous for its minimalist, semi-abstract renditions of people, animals, etc., in sharp contrast to Disney, WB, et al. This reminds me strongly of those images of my youth (born 1947).
Growing up in the 1960s I must have caught re-runs or perhaps knock-offs from other studios that were drawn in the UPA style (like terrytoons).

One example is "Tom Terrific" that aired on Captain Kangaroo.
I so loved this kid (with the funnel hat) and his dog, Mighty Manfred.

"Tom Terrific"

Watch a snippet here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgniqcgdFo

_

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 2:55 AM

I did likewise for each of the other three business names (excluding McD's) which are plainly visible in the photo, and came up empty on all of them.

It just goes to show you that street directories aren't always reliable in terms of being exhaustive. It's not uncommon for existing addresses to be skipped over entirely, even ones that had existed for many years by the time the directory was published.

The 1956 street directory includes outlying areas of the Westside, almost as far as the 11000 block, but these areas were eliminated in later editions, as was Beverly Hills PO in the hills north of BH proper and West Hollywood.

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCRTD-Los-An...QAAOSwT5tWIuxF

Does anyone recognize this stretch of street?

*I searched for "Blimpies" in the LAPL directories, with no results.
__

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I heard this story many times from my mother. Her father was supposed to pay for her upkeep at the orphanage on Sunset Blvd., but he was hit hard by the Depression of the 1930s and had a difficult time taking care of himself.

The nuns finally asked him to remove her and she transferred to the Church Home for Children. [I've been there but I do not know if it is still operating.] She once told me about when a wealthy lady would drive up in a big black car and give the Home for Children a box of oranges. [circa 1932]

She was always trying to impress on me how good I had it as a child...[.after she married a successful professional man]. My life from age one to five was noir to the max. At one point we had to flee LA in the middle of the night to hide out in an attempt to avoid her first husband and his violent temper [he had burned all of her clothes-photos, smashed all of my toys and broke all the furniture.]. There was a warrant for his arrest for attempted murder of her father [pictured below] which I witnessed as a child. There was blood everywhere on the living room floor.

Here is my grandfather...[maternal], taken in front of his apartment on 1006 North El Centro Ave., Hollywood. The building is still there. He worked as a bookkeeper, stenographer, real estate sales but his favorite work was as a Spiritualist Lecturer.
Incredible stories. Was your grandfather an actual spiritualist?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Photo verity was probably not as sacrosanct as we tend to think of it today. The answer to ER's question regarding photo manipulation may exist in the notes connected with the Liemert Park night photo, i.e., "composit[e]". (All images are from USCDigital)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/13101/rec/13

How did they get that big tire up there?

I'm fascinated with dirigibles ever since I found an old photo of the rooftop of a Birmingham, Alabama hotel that had a tower-like mooring. I still wonder what they planned to happen exactly...would people arrive via airship and hop off onto the roof for their stay at the hotel?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Bravo! I am so glad we looked a bit further into the 1929 'Graf Zeppelin' photograph.

_
Although I'm kind of bummed it's a chop.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post

I'm fascinated with dirigibles ever since I found an old photo of the rooftop of a Birmingham, Alabama hotel that had a tower-like mooring. I still wonder what they planned to happen exactly...would people arrive via airship and hop off onto the roof for their stay at the hotel?
Strange as it may sound, letting passengers "hop off onto the roof" was pretty much the plan. I found a 2013 article by Rebecca Maksel at airspacemag.com which fills in some of the details. The quoted extracts and picture below are all from Docking on the Empire State Building:
The New York Times reports that in 1929, “Alfred E. Smith, the leader of a group of investors erecting the Empire State Building,” announced that the height of the building would be increased by 200 feet so that a mooring mast for dirigibles could be installed. Smith noted that passengers would exit the airship down a gangplank, and a mere seven minutes later could be on the street, ready to experience everything Manhattan had to offer.
A year later, this composite picture was used to illustrate the idea.

In 1930, International News Photos distributed this manipulated photograph. At the time, no airship had docked at the Empire State Building. That didn’t happen until September 1931, when a privately-owned dirigible docked for a mere three minutes, in a 40-mile-per-hour wind. “Traffic was tied up in the streets below for more than a half hour as the pilot, Lieutenant William McCraken jockeyed for position in the half gale about the tower 1,200 feet above the ground,” the Times reported in 1931.
The photograph was part of a 2013 exhibition called “Faking It: Manipulated Photography before Photoshop.” Keeping it relevant to this thread, the airship/dirigible in the faked picture is, according to the source, the USS Los Angeles .

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:

Oakley's Barber Shop, 1051 Broxton Avenue, Westwood Village.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Oakley's Barber Shop space on Broxton is now a Japanese restaurant. (u can check it out on gsv)

__

After further googling I came across a video of the history of Oakley's: Below are a few screengrabs.

This is Oakley's when it was located in the Bank of America Building, Westwood. (I'm unsure of the exact address)

The Westwood branch of Bank of America was in the domed building on the corner S Westwood Boulevard and Broxton Avenue. It has also become a Japanese restaurant, in this case it's one called Yamato.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

The arched windows in the screengrab seem to match this building next to the bank's dome on Broxton Avenue. It looks like entry to the building in now down the side on the right. The writing on the windows just says "COURSE READER MATERIAL - 1080".

GSV

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I did likewise for each of the other three business names (excluding McD's) which are plainly visible in the photo, and came up empty on all of them.

It just goes to show you that street directories aren't always reliable in terms of being exhaustive. It's not uncommon for existing addresses to be skipped over entirely, even ones that had existed for many years by the time the directory was published.

Available on-line CDs are somewhat incomplete, especially for the time periods involved. This often makes recognizable names seemingly impossible to locate. In some instances printed directories had amended editions for the same year. Other, perhaps less obvious clues include "Talli's Imports" and the 420 on the nearby awning.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
Incredible stories. Was your grandfather an actual spiritualist?
Yes he was in his later years. He died in Arizona at age 52 when he was on a lecture tour across the US. He was into tarot, numerology, Egyptian book of the Dead and things like that. I never really got to know him as I was too young at that time.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 9:36 PM

Acme semaphore slashes through grill.

Accident at the corner of 23rd and Figueroa, c1952.

Robert Stiles at https://www.pinterest.com/pin/427630927093497230/

I think there's a possibility the house in the upper left corner might still be there.

gsv

gsv

detail of house / 1952 photograph

here's an aerial with the house circled.

google_earth

but the streets are a bit off. What do you think.....is this the house?
_

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Exterior view of the new Milliron's store in Westchester on March 17, 1949. A large crowd was drawn to official opening ceremonies at the store on Sepulveda Blvd. near Manchester.

LAPL

flickr

Was acquired by the Broadway in the 1950s. The building later became a Mervyn's and is now Kohl's.

Google earth

No longer has parking on the roof.
You can see rcarlton's full post here - it also includes a couple of artist's sketches. tovangar2 posted a follow-up about the free-standing display windows here.

Julius Shulman visited Milliron's in the year it opened. This is his "Job 434: Gruen and Krummeck, Milliron's (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1949". I'll start with this view of the front on a wet night in Westchester.

The entrance to the roof-top parking lot looked fabulous at night.

Here's a view of the same entrance in daylight, complete with a sign advertising the terrace restaurant and beauty shop.

Looking the other way, there was even a small free-standing display between the ramp and the stairs.

The entrance and exit ramps made an elegant "X" on the side of the store.

This is the aforementioned terrace restaurant, which looked out on the roof-top parking lot. The structure on the left with the vents seems to have been removed from the current layout.

The photoset includes a couple of interior shots.

I'm surprised at how narrow the escalators are compared to the stairs.

All from Getty Research Institute

This additional photo, taken from the stairs in the image above, is the only picture in "Job 432: Gruen and Krummeck, Milliron's (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1949". There's no description with this picture to say what the special occasion was.

Getty Research Institute

We've seen the front corner of the building in its more recent incarnations as Mervyn's and Kohl's, but I don't think we've seen the old car ramp. Boarded up and blocked by a small tree, it's a pale shadow of the former grandeur. I'd guess that the stairs on the right are now only used as a fire exit, and the small display box is long gone. I've used the January 2015 GSV images to get the trees without their leaves.

GSV

Looking at Historic Aerials, the roof no longer shows any bay markings on the 1994 image, and the large structure on the roof has also gone. The exit ramp disappears between the 2003 and 2004 images. Here's the current (January 2015) side view which shows the much-enlarged ground-level parking lot entrance. I miss the symmetry of the original design.

GSV

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:

detail of house / 1952 photograph

here's an aerial with the house circled.

google_earth

but the streets are a bit off. What do you think.....is this the house?
Here's how the intersection looked in 1952, when e_r's photo was taken, and before the freeway.

Historic Aerials

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos