HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:23 PM
YIMBY

There is a banner up @ 5 st and 8 ave SW for State & Main (IIRC) in the former Seven location. The other bay on that corner looks to be becoming a medical/professional office, not sure of the tenant though

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:41 PM
BANNED

^shouldn't be long before their open based on how much work has already been done.

Peeked inside the soon to be Rodney's Oyster Bar this morning, they're completely gutting the space, looks like they'll be spending some serious $ on the project. Excited to see the final product.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:59 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Bank and Barron opening tomorrow:

I’m afraid that this post might come off as pretentious so I apologize in advance.

I find the antique dark wooden interiors for pubs ghastly. This design-style is to interior design what Stampetechture is to architecture; its fauxpub. Instead of helping to make the pub look authentic and aesthetically pleasing, it comes off as gimmicky, insincere and fake. It is shame because the time and money put toward making the pub an inviting space could have been spent on an interior design that would make the place looking interesting and like the actual pub the owners are trying to replicate or mimic.

Most of the old world pubs with wooden interiors that I’ve been to were locals that were either dilapidated or not an investment. Basically, these pubs were akin to the neighbourhood pubs you’ll find in strip-malls over here which is something I doubt the owners are of the B&B are looking to replicate. I will admit that I have been in pubs in England that have had nice older-style wooden interiors but these were old pubs that had renovated and kept things rather authentic; something I believe pubs like the B&B are not.

Instead of trying to mimic a style of design from which quality pubs are moving away, I think places like the B&B should relish the great opportunity to achieve their goal (i.e. attracting customer interest through interior design). How? Contemporary pub design. Take a look at one of my locals, it book ends a High Street in a quiet middle to upper middle class Central London neighbourhood.

Pub goers and potential customers are simply looking for environments that look appealing. I highly doubt places like the B&B are attracting great deals of customers because they see a picture of the antique wooden interiors and think, “It looks like a pub in Ireland, I must go!”. In a way, it’s a bit insulting to potential patrons. The pictures above feature an interior design along the lines* of what I think an ambitious pub should follow. But hey, it’s just my take and I have what is probably an unhealthy passion for pubs.

* It doesn’t have to have a hipster like feel and could feature a more modern design.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 8:40 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I’m afraid that this post might come off as pretentious so I apologize in advance.

I find the antique dark wooden interiors for pubs ghastly. This design-style is to interior design what Stampetechture is to architecture; its fauxpub. Instead of helping to make the pub look authentic and aesthetically pleasing, it comes off as gimmicky,
I completely agree with you about pubs in general, but this is not a neighbourhood local, it's meant to be a money printing machine on 8th avenue. No one is going to pop down for a pint in the same sense as what you're describing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I completely agree with you about pubs in general, but this is not a neighbourhood local, it's meant to be a money printing machine on 8th avenue. No one is going to pop down for a pint in the same sense as what you're describing.
I also have a hate for the faux pub style, but in this case, I think it actually works.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I also have a hate for the faux pub style, but in this case, I think it actually works.
No doubt, the heritage building itself that the pub is located in kind of favoured the style that they went with in the place.

I think that pub looks extremely inviting and a great place to have a few drinks in. I love the stained glass ceiling, the nooks they created for making tables more "private" feeling, the two story tall bar and the window letting in some natural light.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Had one of the New York style all meat pizzas at Bensonhurst late last night. Pretty good overall, though I'm not sure why I didn't order a pizza with vegetables on it too. Had half of one which I'd say is enough for most people, New York style is bigger than the others.

I like the brick throughout, and the graffiti and subway signs in the back towards the washrooms is cool too. I also think the variety in styles - New York, Sicilian, Chicago, Californian, Neapolitan will help distinguish this place from most of the other new pizza restaurants opening up.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 5:29 PM

I drove by xocolat on 11th ave last night and it looks like they're closed already. The windows were all papered up. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 5:45 PM

The rest of West has closed. Expected to reopen as something else in June.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 7:15 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Xocolot claims they're "renovating" on their twitter and fb page but that was late January. I never tried it because I'm offended by the notion of upscale Mex in a city that desperately needs many more DOWNscale Mex places. Things have improved mightily but still have a way to go.

Is the West reno the new Goro and Gun ramen shop? I know it's opening in some of that space.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
^shouldn't be long before their open based on how much work has already been done.
I missed this post. Unfortunately they completely gutted Seven's old location a couple of months ago. They even took out the kitchen.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Xocolot claims they're "renovating" on their twitter and fb page but that was late January. I never tried it because I'm offended by the notion of upscale Mex in a city that desperately needs many more DOWNscale Mex places. Things have improved mightily but still have a way to go.

Is the West reno the new Goro and Gun ramen shop? I know it's opening in some of that space.
Odd that they would be renovating considering the didn't open that long ago. They've either gone tits up or have a serious health/liquor violation. I'm too busy to check though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 8:04 PM
not a NIMBY

I just googled "peking garden health violations" and apparently there are a lot of restaurants with that name in North America with health violations!
Here is the Calgary one:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...017/story.html

Not to be confused with Peking Dragon on 4th Street.

On the weekend I saw a mouse run inside a food service establishment. Should I have told anyone? A friend said every restaurant in Calgary is overrun with mice. Maybe they keep the roaches down.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 8:18 PM

Wow, I was planning on getting food from there soon, as there aren't many options for Gluten Free Chinese, and I wanted to try it. Thanks for the warning! The one in Parkdale doesn't have the greatest health records either....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 8:33 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Wow, I was planning on getting food from there soon, as there aren't many options for Gluten Free Chinese, and I wanted to try it. Thanks for the warning! The one in Parkdale doesn't have the greatest health records either....
I have been to Peking Dragon with gluten sensitive friends and Celiac relatives and the servers are very helpful pointing out what they could have and what they should avoid. Also they will hold off on MSG on request. I'm sure other Chinese restaurants must do the same?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post
The rest of West has closed. Expected to reopen as something else in June.
Not re-opening as West? Same restaurant-night club business model or just resto?

I think it's about time to get rid of the banks at street level on Stephen. Most of them would make for prime clothing stores or restaurant locations.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Odd that they would be renovating considering the didn't open that long ago. They've either gone tits up or have a serious health/liquor violation. I'm too busy to check though.
It's gotta be tough to make a profit when you're only busy 3 months of the year. The patio is fantastic but the interior portion of West leaves much to be desired. I bet they come back with a new concept for spring - hopefully with better food.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I have been to Peking Dragon with gluten sensitive friends and Celiac relatives and the servers are very helpful pointing out what they could have and what they should avoid. Also they will hold off on MSG on request. I'm sure other Chinese restaurants must do the same?
Yes, I've found Silver Dragon and Silver Inn were good. Always like to have choices though!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
I know the owners, though I haven't spoken to them in a while. I think they may be done. I credit them with trying something different and very popular in Mexico City with amazing restaurants like Pujol (not that I'm saying it's on the same level), but unfortunately I guess the city isn't ready for it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yes, I've found Silver Dragon and Silver Inn were good. Always like to have choices though!
Those two have GF options?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation