HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:08 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We visited about 20 years ago and it was quite strange to see escalators in a place of worship (U.S. Mega Churches notwithstanding).
Yeah the escalators did it for me. After I saw those, I knew I was in a strange strange place.

The Oratoire is a strange place, very classical looking on the outside, I believe the dome was topped out in 1938. But the interior has strong modern 50's 60's vibes.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
To me one of the most iconic buildings, the most underrated momument in all of Canada, and one of the strangest buildings I've ever stepped into.

I don't have photos of the inside, but it's a strange mix of late art deco and 1960's kitch mall architecture.

Here's a few from the inside.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNn1frn50O/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHJdwVGnGw2/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHEPmjtBjOW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHB8N14Az-E/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG75mndJnHj/

Recently, the church got a brand new, very sophisticated lighting scheme.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGzHTAGHEPT/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGxv2PtDhqs/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGgyFcEDCuZ/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:48 PM
Look at me!

Weird wild and impressive.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:55 PM
Look at me!

The Place Viger, built by the CPR in 1898 By Bruce Price. One of Canada's early examples of the chateauesque architecture trend.

Actually a rare station / hotel hybrid.

Le château by Jean-Guillaume Dumont, on Flickr

L'ancienne gare Viger by Richard Duret, on Flickr

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...about_1901.jpg

Place Viger Hotel by Vieilles Pubs, on Flickr

It recently got a full renovation and is now the centerpiece of a vast mixed-use development.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't find the Oratoire is under-rated or little-known. At least not in Quebec. Across Canada, you might have a point. Given it's "girth".

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 7:18 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Across Canada, you might have a point. Given it's "girth".
Yeah that's what I meant. I've got the feeling that if the Oratoire was in Toronto I'd be known nationwide. Instead it's in Montreal, which has a shockingly low profile in the Canadian media market, and to boot, it's on the north slope of the mountain, which has a low profile in Montreal proper.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 7:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant. I've got the feeling that if the Oratoire was in Toronto I'd be known nationwide. Instead it's in Montreal, which has a shockingly low profile in the Canadian media market, and to boot, it's on the north slope of the mountain, which has a low profile in Montreal proper.
I think it's probably well-known to the subset of the population that is at least semi-devoutly Catholic. It gets no shortage of visitors, from the ROC, the US and other parts of the world even.

It's the largest church in Canada, and one of the 20 (or maybe 15?) largest church buildings in the world.

Interestingly enough, I was watching online videos of the antifa riots in Portland, Oregon (yes they are still going on) and the protestors were setting fire and vandalizing a church in the city's downtown which was named Saint André Bessette.

Known as Frère André here in Quebec, he was a Catholic monk who among other things he did was behind the massive task of getting the Oratoire built.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah the escalators did it for me. After I saw those, I knew I was in a strange strange place.

The Oratoire is a strange place, very classical looking on the outside, I believe the dome was topped out in 1938. But the interior has strong modern 50's 60's vibes.
I visited it for the first time back when I was a teenager, and I remember being surprised at how different the interior looked compared to the exterior. Between how long it took to build it and the era in which it was built (when tastes changed from the traditional to the modern), I suppose it isn't surprising that it ended up the way it did. Even though they don't look alike, it reminds me a bit of the Sacred Heart Basilica in Brussels which also straddles the traditional and modern eras.

The interior is really impressive, though... it's grandiose in a somewhat stark, modern kind of way.

I suspect the reason it isn't as well known as, say, Notre Dame, is the somewhat out of the way location. Most people won't just stumble on the Oratoire, you kind of have to go looking for it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 8:34 PM

South Haven Centre for Remembrance, Edmonton – Shape Architecture

https://shapearchitecture.ca

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 8:48 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I don't find the Oratoire is under-rated or little-known. At least not in Quebec. Across Canada, you might have a point. Given it's "girth".
It used to be the symbol of Montreal for the world, because of the fame of Brother André. It was well known all over Canada but the Quiet Revolution changed that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I think it's probably well-known to the subset of the population that is at least semi-devoutly Catholic. It gets no shortage of visitors, from the ROC, the US and other parts of the world even.

It's the largest church in Canada, and one of the 20 (or maybe 15?) largest church buildings in the world.

Number 30, according to Wikipedia. Number 5 in NAmerica.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Number 30, according to Wikipedia. Number 5 in NAmerica.
Thanks! Béni soit ton nom!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It used to be the symbol of Montreal for the world, because of the fame of Brother André. It was well known all over Canada but the Quiet Revolution changed that.
It still attracts pilgrims all over the world, which I always find surprising.

They are doing huge work right now to make the dome accessible for visitors. The observation deck at the top will be the highest spot for a 360 unobstructed view of the city. It will make this landmark a must for tourists even more than now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 12:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Two for one.

The obviously old (as in not the far left condos) stone rowhouses in this shot are Devon Row. The old stone detached home to their left is Devon House.

Devon House:

Quote:
During its history, Devon House has been the residence of a number of noted Newfoundland figures. In 1891, the house belonged to Alexander McLellan MacKay, an agent for the Anglo-American Telegraph Company. Originally from Nova Scotia, MacKay first came to Newfoundland to take charge of the telegraph lines. While here he also played an important role in the development of telegraph lines including the Trans-Atlantic Cable and the cross-Newfoundland line.

Additionally, MacKay has been given credit for assisting in the introduction of both electricity and telephone lines in Newfoundland. Aside from working with the Anglo-American Telegraph Company, he also was a member of the House of Assembly from 1878 to 1889.

Following MacKay, the Templeman family moved in to the house. Philip Templeman was a Bonavista-based Merchant who experienced great wealth during his life. While living in Devon House, Templeman still maintained a residence in Bonavista; an indicator of his prosperity. From 1878 to 1889, Templeman served as a member of the House of Assembly representing the district of Burgeo and Lapoile.
Devon Row:

Quote:
Devon Row is aesthetically valuable because it is an excellent example of a pre-1892 Second Empire brick row house. This building was one of several built by the firm J and J.T. Southcott, purveyors of the Second Empire design in Newfoundland and Labrador. The Southcotts were so commonly associated with this style of architecture that it is known locally as the Southcott Style. Devon Row consists of the concave curved mansard roof, bonnetted dormer windows and two-storey bow windows, three of the main features of the Southcott Style.

Devon Row is historically valuable because of its associations with Anna Mary Mitchell and Rev. Moses Harvey (1820-1901). Ms. Mitchell, suffragist, lived at 1 Devon Row. A meeting at her residence after World War I inspired a group of women to agitate for voting rights in municipal elections and sparked the Votes for Women campaign. In 1921, St. John's City Council enfranchised all female property holders and in 1925 allowed all women over 25 to vote.

In 1892 the Rev. Moses Harvey, Newfoundland historian and resident of Devon Row, helped to save the buildings from the Great Fire. The row houses were in the direct path of this devastating conflagration that burned for a day and a night, and consumed a huge portion of the capital city. Rev. Harvey witnessed the initial stages of the fire and Devon Row was saved almost miraculously by placing blankets at the gable of the westernmost house and keeping them wet. Rev. Harvey compiled a detailed account of the event, giving historians a very personal and heart wrenching version of the disaster.
Quote:
"Of the whole easterly section, scarcely a building remained; of the costly and imposing structures and public buildings which were the pride and glory of the people, scarcely a vestige remained; and St. John's lay in the morning as a city despoiled of her beauty, her choicest ornaments, presenting a picture of utter desolation and woe."
One relevant one from the Archives, almost certainly taken from the roof of Devon Row in 1892:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 7, 2020 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 1:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Two for one.

The obviously old (as in not the far left condos) stone rowhouses in this shot are Devon Row. The old stone detached home to their left is Devon House.

^ Good choice. These are of "aesthetic" value because they are unique, but more of historically architectural importance than truly aesthetic. Beautiful architecture however is not just dependent upon historical value, but also on some level of subjectivity. I think these are impressive, but probably not the most demonstrably beautiful in a truly aesthetic sense.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 7:38 PM

I love this type of architecture that is most prominent in the Galt area of Cambridge. Wish we had more like this all over the country.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 12:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

One from this morning's run - Kelvin House. It's probably my favourite brick home in the province. There are a few technically more impressive ones, especially out around the bay in formerly important towns such as Harbour Grace, but I just love how pretty this one is, and the way the roof tiles shine in the sun during the summer - it's gorgeous.

Quote:
Kelvin House is architecturally valuable as a superb brick example of the Second Empire style in St. John’s. The house is constructed entirely of brick, which is rare in Newfoundland, and this contributes to the overall architectural value of the building. The use of imported red brick for the main structure and white brick for decoration are a testament to the prosperity of the owners. Kelvin House features all of the classic elements of the Second Empire style in a very elaborate and ornate manner. The house features a mansard roof with patterned slate in a Gothic end pattern. The front façade is typical of the Second Empire style with a bay window flanking each side of the main entrance. Furthermore, the window and door trim is very elaborate and the corners of the building features rusticated quoining.

The interior of the house is also architecturally valuable for its interesting plasterwork and woodwork. The window sashes are made of mahogany and the windows are plate glass. The doors in the house feature leaded glass inserts and sidelights. The interior of Kelvin house also features ten working fireplaces.

The most interesting feature of Kelvin House is the conservatory attached at the rear of the house. Built in 1885 by the firm Lord and Burnham, it is the only remaining conservatory of its kind in Newfoundland. The structure is constructed of iron and glass and is separated into two sections; the first providing an entranceway from the house and the second featuring its own fireplace. The fireplace has its own chimney that is particularly interesting due to its height; it is very tall because it had to reach above the line of the house.

Built in 1885 for Alexander Marshall, Kelvin House is historically valuable as one of the few houses that survived the Great Fire of 1892 that destroyed much of downtown St. John’s. Kelvin House is also historically valuable for its association with Alexander Marshall. Marshall came to Newfoundland in 1850 and soon became one of the most prominent merchants in St. John’s. He was first a partner in the dry goods firm of Ayre and Marshall and then later of Marshall and Rodger. This house stands as a testament to the success and affluence of Alexander Marshall as a St. John’s merchant.

Kelvin House is environmentally valuable due to its location in St. John’s. Rennie’s Mill Road was an affluent area of the city and the location of Kelvin House in this area serves as a symbol of the social status and wealth of the Marshall family during this period.
- From the City of St. John's council meeting designating it a municipal heritage structure.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:44 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

That first Guelph post reminds me a bit of 241 Yonge St, which I've always been a fan of:

https://tayloronhistory.com/2013/07/...uth-of-dundas/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ugh, I love that one too. I wish we had some like that. They'd really elevate the main drags downtown.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

The Petrie Building, Guelph, Ontario

Appropriate that Guelph would lead off this thread, I don't think there are many other Canadian cities that punches so far above it's weight for architectural grandeur. Maybe Kingston and Niagara-on-the-Lake come close in Ontario.

^The Basilica of our Lady Immaculate on its hill overlooking Macdonnell Street in Guelph.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada