HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Although the footprint of the project is set, the height and design depend on the composition of the skyscraper's penthouses and whether parking is built above or underground.
I'm all for a shorter tower if it means parking underground.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I'm all for a shorter tower if it means parking underground.
Is there not an option for neither above-ground nor below-ground parking? I'd vote for that.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:50 PM

FYI...

The ABJ article is about the Travis, and there is discussion about it in that thread. This thread is getting a little confusing with both the Depot and Travis stuff.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Is there not an option for neither above-ground nor below-ground parking? I'd vote for that.
I suppose if The Avenue is successful, we could start seeing more of that! One can dream....

But this obviously goes hand in hand with improved public transit...if that recent cap metro map becomes a reality, zero parking condo towers could become more desirable!!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I hope they don't actually do underground parking at Block 185, being at the outlet of Shoal Creek to the Colorado River. Can you imagine what a disaster that would be during floods?

As for the Genesis project, the Travis, some of that developer's more noteworthy projects are One Rincon Hill in San Francisco, The Mercer and The Mark in Houston, 3225 Turtle Creek and Maple Villas in Dallas, as well as the under development Turnberry Towers in Las Vegas and The Katy in Dallas.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 10:02 PM

Re: Travis/Genesis project. Just looked at their portfolio.
Most projects are not very interesting at all.
One Rincon Hill being the most modern.... but still kinda a new modern generic.

Yikes.... hope they find better architects and don't go to their default conservative looks
here.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 10:04 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Agreed that it is a conservative look and I'd prefer something else, but it would fit in fine in the Rainey area.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I hope they don't actually do underground parking at Block 185, being at the outlet of Shoal Creek to the Colorado River. Can you imagine what a disaster that would be during floods?
The formal site plan filing says there will be several levels of underground parking. I think that is because the podium height is limited due to setbacks to what amounts to six above ground levels. If the tower is going to max out the square footage for the site they'll need more than the six above ground parking levels.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
A Dallas-based developer expects to break ground on a roughly 45-story apartment tower overlooking Lady Bird Lake by early 2019. It’s one of two apartment high-rises Genesis Real Estate Group has proposed for the Villas on Town Lake condo site near the Rainey Street Historic District.

The company submitted a site plan application to the city earlier this month and it expects to break ground on construction in about nine or 10 months.

Genesis Real Estate purchased the Villas, a 58-unit condo project at 80 Red River Street, last June after the majority of condo owners voted to sell the property.

Originally the Austin American-Statesman reported the tower would be roughly 40 stories high. This week though Genesis President Gordon Ip said it will go even higher, at 45 stories or even as many as 50 stories.

Although the footprint of the project is set, the height and design depend on the composition of the skyscraper's penthouses and whether parking is built above or underground.

“We’re still validating our unit mix with the marketplace and trying to see what would work best in the city of Austin,” Ip said. “We want to do something that’s unique but not pioneering. We want to be slightly different and we don’t want be so far out of left field.”

Ip expects it will take the rest of the year to move through site plan reviews with the city because Genesis doesn’t need to request any zoning changes to the Central Business District site.

The company has two concurrent site plan reviews with the city to first demolish the old Villas condos and then to build the two towers. The demolition won’t start until immediately before tower construction early next year.

Genesis won’t build the second apartment tower until it sees how the market responds to the first tower.

“The second tower really has a lot to do with how successful we are with the first,” Ip said. “We’re not rushing to build both at the same time.”
Financing still in the works

Financing on the 2.3-acre project also has not been finalized. Ip said there has been a lot of interest but it likely won’t all come together until various site plans with the city are complete.

The dollar value of the yet-to-be-named project hasn’t been determined yet because Genesis has yet to select a general contractor. The firm will be interviewing prospective general contractors in the next three to four months, he said. The civil engineer involved is West Lake Hills-based Consort Inc.; the structural engineer is Houston-based SCA Consulting Engineers; and the architect is Dallas-based GDA Architects.

The Villas site has entitlements to build 1.5 million square feet of space on roughly 100,000 square feet of land, according to Genesis. However, Ip said both towers combined likely won’t get close to 1.5 million square feet.

The first tower will be about 400,000 to 425,000 square feet, excluding parking. The size and height of the second building will depend on the market.

“It could range from a 30- to 35-story tower or on the hand, or it could be a 50- to 60-story tower. It depends on what is best when we get some [market] validation,” he said, of the second tower.

Both skyscrapers will be built to maximize sweeping views of the Colorado River and Austin skyline, he said.

Eve at 45 stories, the first tower would dwarf other residential high-rises in the rapidly-changing Rainey Street neighborhood – including the 34-story condo project at 70 Rainey and the 33-story condo tower at 48 East Ave.

Yet it would be several stories shy of the other two major skyscrapers duking it out to be the tallest building in Austin — the 56-story Austonian condominium high-rise and The Independent, a 58-story condominium high-rise under construction in the Central Business District.
Sticking with apartments

Unlike the nearby 48 East — which recently switched from an apartment project to condos — Genesis decided to keep its proposal as an apartment project because Ip said there is still a demand for rental housing downtown.

Rental rates haven’t been finalized either, but they won't be ultra high-end, Ip said.

“We’re not needing to be the highest [rent] in the marketplace,” he said. “We’re not trying to build the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons of Austin.”

Yet the rates likely will reflect the desirability of a downtown, waterfront site with access to the hike-and-bike trail and “hotel-like” amenities, he noted.

Ip said the firm was drawn to the site because of its proximity to the river, not because of its proximity to the popular nightlife scene on Rainey Street.

“We’re a site that’s tied to the back-to-nature scene rather than the night vibe,” he said. “We’re not envisioning our project to be a Vegas tower next to the Strip.”

Austin-based Sutton Co. first hatched the idea for the high-rise. Initially it was going to buy the Villas condos from the individual owners in partnership with Koa Partners. But last year Sutton Co. agreed to reassign the contract to Genesis Real Estate, which turned around and purchased the project directly from the individual condo owners and the homeowners association, according to Genesis. Sutton retained some residual financial interest but is no longer substantially involved, Ip said.

SWEET thanks!
I guess no renderings yet...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 4:06 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm less and less excited over the Travis project. Anytime a developer says they are not trying to go outside the box in terms of design, it means more of what we already have.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 7:31 AM

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...e-on-codenext/

Quote:
Austin City Council chose not to give residents the right to vote on CodeNEXT or any future rewrite of the land development code following a 6-4 vote in the early hours of Friday.
Good.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm less and less excited over the Travis project. Anytime a developer says they are not trying to go outside the box in terms of design, it means more of what we already have.
I took that to mean they aren't going to do something substantially different than what they've already developed. None of their projects look like anything in our skyline (and don't look anything as nice, either, as most things in our skyline), so it'd be unique (if unfortunate) for us if they don't go outside of their box.

However, I'll admit that yours is an equally valid interpretation and gives me hope we might see something better than their track record.

FWIW, I do happen to like their One Rincon Hill towers. If we got something similar to those, I'd be extremely happy.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:05 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I took that to mean they aren't going to do something substantially different than what they've already developed. None of their projects look like anything in our skyline (and don't look anything as nice, either, as most things in our skyline), so it'd be unique (if unfortunate) for us if they don't go outside of their box.

However, I'll admit that yours is an equally valid interpretation and gives me hope we might see something better than their track record.

FWIW, I do happen to like their One Rincon Hill towers. If we got something similar to those, I'd be extremely happy.
I'll take a look at One Rincon, hopefully whatever design it ends up will at the very least be decent.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 11:12 AM
Austinite

It looks like there's some major exterior changes coming to the existing RBJ Tower as well.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...book_KXAN_News

Quote:
Expansion of independent senior living high-rise will double units
By: Phil Prazan
Updated: Apr 30, 2018 10:22 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The Austin Geriatric Center, the nonprofit in charge of the Rebekah Baines Johnson Center, will break ground Tuesday on an expansion plan that will double the number of units and renovate the 16-story building in east Austin.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:09 PM
Meh

That's cool news about the observation deck. I doubt it's public, but I'll try anyway.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's cool news about the observation deck. I doubt it's public, but I'll try anyway.
Speaking of observation decks, I wish the Austonian one was public and I wonder if the Independent has one.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What observation deck is this you speak of??

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 6:34 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
What observation deck is this you speak of??
The RBJ Tower. They're remodeling it. One of the things they'll do is add an observation lounge on the 16th floor. You can see it in the rendering Mopacs posted.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:18 PM

I drove by Spin on the way home from ACL at the Moody Sunday night, and snapped this pic. I think the mural will look pretty cool once it is finished.

Also, Hotel Za Za is going to look awesome with all that brick!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:21 PM

Sign and rendering is up at the 410 Uptown site - the one in West Campus and next to Canes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin