HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 6:19 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I am under the impression that Don Iveson did less for Edmonton in 4 years than Stephen Mandel did in one. On the Metro Line fiasco, Iveson had some big words words about it, but let administration to continue to fubar the whole debacle. If the library was approved under his watch, he didn't do anything to make sure architectural standards would be maintained. The only thing I can remember from Don Iveson is bike lanes.
As a single vote on a City Council of 12, I am not sure how much he, or anyone in a Mayoral position, could get done themselves. You could say this Council did all of the above, to be more accurate. Now, if we had the 'Strong Mayor' position like in the US, then it would be a difference discussion.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
As a single vote on a City Council of 12, I am not sure how much he, or anyone in a Mayoral position, could get done themselves. You could say this Council did all of the above, to be more accurate. Now, if we had the 'Strong Mayor' position like in the US, then it would be a difference discussion.
And yet, a strong Canadian mayor could fire inspiration and collaboration that could drive both the administration and other political colleagues forward.

Mandel was a good (not perfect) example of that, Bill Smith much less so.

Iveson never struck me as one to inspire the troops, or the citizenry for that matter.

There have been strong mayors across Canada in the past many decades, even if their voice is only one of many in the council chamber.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:16 PM
Community Guy

Don also did a lot of good work, directly or indirectly, to get younger folks engaged and involved in politics or the community.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:48 PM

What I liked most about Don Iveson's 2 terms is his changing Edmonton's mindset from suburban to urban and his push to SEVERELY liberalize the Zoning Bylaw to encourage infills. I mean, as of next year, you'll be able to split a McMansion into 2 units instead of building 2 new houses. That's smart policy!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:11 PM
Community Guy

Aspiring candidates can now register to run in the 2021 Edmonton Election
January 4, 2021

Today marks the start of the nomination period when aspiring candidates can register as candidates for the 2021 Edmonton Election.

Edmontonians who wish to run for Mayor, City Councillor, Trustee for the Edmonton School Division or Trustee of the Edmonton Catholic Separate School Division must complete the nomination process to be considered a candidate. This means completing the nomination forms and paying the deposit. Full details of the nomination process are available here.

Aspiring candidates have until September 20, 2021, to file their nomination papers.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, aspiring candidates will be able to do this one of two ways:
In-person at City Hall (by appointment only)
Via courier/mail

Edmontonians are invited to watch aspiring candidates, who choose to register in person, online via the City Hall YouTube channel. The live stream will be active when there is an in-person registration. Registrations will take place on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/elections

Media contact:
Suzzette Mellado
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-914-5074

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 9:54 PM

Whos running for mayor on this thread

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:06 PM

Decore did reasonably well in the 1993 provincial election, even in Calgary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary-Fish_Creek

He did run on an austerity platform.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Interesting. I have lived in Calgary > 20 years, moving here from Edmonton. I don't feel that vibe at all and never have.
I was born in Edmonton to a family with roots in the area going back to the early 1900's, moved to Calgary at a young age, returned to Edmonton for my first 3 university degrees, ended up back in Calgary for a few years, still have largest concentration of extended family in Edmonton.....Never really perceived much as much Edmonton hate in Calgary as Calgary hate in Edmonton. Calgary has always attracted more residents from far away, be it other parts of Canada or international, so awareness of "Rest of Alberta" is quite low.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 10:22 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Don did a lot of good work on homelessness and with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities/Big City Mayors who want expanded rights and decision making abilities with regards to other funding and direction.
Correct.
Iverson was focused on this and other city shaping projects like transit and bike commuting.
On homelessness the other levels of government never stepped up in a meaningful way until this pandemic unleashed real money.
I don't how he's being hung with the metro LRT which was a Procurement debacle way before he was mayor or the library architecture. Does council approve designs for arms length departments like the EPL or something?

If you're going to pick issues, could you at least pick ones where a mayor is reasonably the issue?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:49 AM

I believe Don Iveson was involved as a counsellor when the Metro line was being discussed. As for the downtown Library, city council can intervene if necessary yet they didn't.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 5:34 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I believe Don Iveson was involved as a counsellor when the Metro line was being discussed. As for the downtown Library, city council can intervene if necessary yet they didn't.
I think the design of the library could've been looked at more by the Edmonton Design Committee. How they didn't ask for revised exterior cladding is beyond me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:51 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:19 PM

I'm gonna have a difficult time deciding on these two mayoralty candidates, and who knows if Sohi or Knack are throwing their hats into the ring.

Cheryll Watson
https://www.cheryllwatson.ca/

Kim Krushell
https://krushellformayor.com/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I'm gonna have a difficult time deciding on these two mayoralty candidates, and who knows if Sohi or Knack are throwing their hats into the ring.

Cheryll Watson
https://www.cheryllwatson.ca/

Kim Krushell
https://krushellformayor.com/
Krushell has experience in municipal politics and name recognition. This should be a major advantage.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:36 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Krushell has experience in municipal politics and name recognition. This should be a major advantage.
I'd vote for Krushell over Watson in a heartbeat due to her considerable past experience in our City's politics. I just hope the if she does run, there aren't many other new contenders, as the worst thing would be a vote split amongst rationale voters, which would allow Nickel to come in from behind and take it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:47 PM

#ABN

(Anybody But Nickel)

I'm actually happy to see The Krusher running for mayor.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:30 AM

Mike Nickle.....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:28 AM
Community Guy

A progressive and thoughtful option for Ward Metis.

https://www.ashleysalvador.com

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:50 PM

If you want another reason why that fuckwit Mike Nickel doesn't deserve your vote:

Quote:
He also spoke against what he called "downtown-centric policies and spends" such as the funicular or bike lanes.

"I think it's time for everyone else to get a turn. I think the suburbs need some loving, he said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...race-1.5890162

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton