HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The club closed its doors on December 15, 1988, located at 3739 Overland Avenue..."

chips-tv.com
Thanks Hoss! I've been wondering about the Culver City location for quite sometime. I was beginning to think I imagined it!

I don't remember the sign at all.

obligatory

SNL

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 2, 2019 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:08 PM

I thought I was seeing things.

While I was driving around in the google-mobile, looking for the old Chippendales building, I happened upon this apartment building at 3374 Overland Ave.

GSV

Do you notice anything odd about it?

Let's take a closer look, shall we.

Do you see what I'm talking about now?

And right around the corner from the Crapi you'll find.......

GSV

The CheeZee Apartments

at10617 Woodbine St.

I would wager a guess that both apartment buildings are owned by the same person. (with tongue firmly planted in cheek)

google_earth

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 2, 2019 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:39 PM

There seems to be a lot of those "named" apartments in L.A. with the word "Capri." There are several named the Villa Capri. Maybe they were having some amusement with that idea/name? I can't believe it was just misspelled, but anything's possible! Heh!

Also, remember this restaurant, previously discussed, at 6735 Yucca Street?

That location is now the Hollywood Condos:
Top L.A. Condos

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 2, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:43 PM

Yes Martin. It's a play on the word 'Capri'. That's what makes it funny. lol

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:02 PM

I'm getting so used to stupidity permeating the culture, that even though it made me laugh, I was wondering if someone was just being dumb!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
On one of my routes from Culver City (where I worked) to West Hollywood, I remember that I would pass Chippendales strip club. (this would have been around 1984 or 85).
It might have been their original location.

If I remember correctly, the street was Overland Ave. (I worked in a building just inside the Overland Gate at MGM) -so it makes sense.

Before I found out it was a strip bar I thought it was a furniture store. (you know, Chippendale's..like the famous chairs) lol

Did I dream this location? Was Chippendales really located in Culver City? (not exactly a hot spot back in the 1980s)

So far, I haven't found any proof that Chippendales was located in Culver City. (this would have been before they became world famous)

I eventually switched to Robertson Blvd. as my escape route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

A 1982 episode of CHiPs, "Trained for Trouble", visited Chippendales - the storyline involved a stripper who looked like Ponch. According to this Wiki page about the episode, "...the club finally closed its doors on December 15, 1988, located at 3739 Overland Avenue...". That's only 100 yards north of the building you posted, e_r. It's now an adult day care.

GSV

Here's a screengrab I made of the sign.

chips-tv.com

I worked in Culver City from about 1977-1983 and I recall going by the Chippendales place, but like E_R, I don't recall this sign! I don't think I was by there at night, though.

If memory serves, that area is the "Palms" section of Los Angeles.
_______

Tierra Properties

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:48 PM

Yes...

L.A. Times Mapping L.A. boundaries of "Palms."

Wikimedia

Palms (originally "The Palms") is a highly diverse, densely populated community in the Westside region of Los Angeles, California, founded in 1886 and the oldest neighborhood annexed to the city, in 1915. The 1886 tract was marketed as an agricultural and vacation community. Today it is a primarily residential area, with a large number of apartment buildings, ribbons of commercial zoning and a single-family residential area in its northwest corner.

Under Attractions:

Palms has a large number of Indian and Pakistani restaurants and businesses. In addition, it is also one of the centers of the Brazilian community in Los Angeles, with a number of Brazilian-oriented restaurants and shops, and one nightclub. In 1979, the original Chippendales erotic male dancing club at 3739 Overland Avenue at McCune Avenue was started by Bengali immigrant Steve Banerjee when he turned his nightclub-disco, Destiny II, into a venue for male strippers.

http://www.tierraproperties.com/west...ty_profile.htm

HossC, notes in his above post it closed Dec. 15, 1988, which appears to be the result of a lot of turmoil, according to the wiki page: For Chippendales, the early 1980's were filled with major lawsuits pertaining to personal injury, alleged sexual bias against male guests, charges of racial discrimination and later in 1988 bankruptcy due to Banerjee's refusal to pay a $300,000+ (approx) printing invoice to Anderson Lithograph for a layout error created by a Culver City advertising firm, Haiku Advertising whereby the 1987 Chippendales calendar had 31 days in each month.

This L.A. Times article of September, 1988, describes it as "battling to keep it's doors open, after a judge upheld the closing of Chippendales' West Los Angeles club."

Apparently the club was battling fire regulations with the number of patrons etc. The article said they were planning to move to where the El Rey theatre was located on Wilshire Blvd.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...181-story.html

Quote:
Before I found out it was a strip bar I thought it was a furniture store. (you know, Chippendale's..like the famous chairs) lol
Interestingly, E_R, from the wiki page:

The club name was suggested by Nahin, Banerjee's partner, as the Club had Chippendale style furniture.

In 2016, an Indian producer, Salman Khan, was announced to produce a biopic on Somen Banerjee, and the male striptease club Chippendales.

Except for the CHiP's episode, it's interesting there seem to be no photos taken of this club on Overland Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Didn't mean to suggest that "much" earlier. I was focusing on the purported fact that most (maybe all) of the semaphore signals were being replaced around that time. I could have sworn I read on NLA that '56 was the "final" curtain, but for every rule there seems to be an exception.

Previous NLA post:

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleite...hotos/id/12717
Speaking as a retired Public Works guy, there's nothing as annoying for field employees as being "helped" by the bosses.

Last edited by Mstimc; Apr 4, 2019 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Last weekend I saw W.C. Fields' last starring movie: Never Give a Sucker an Even Break (1941 - original story credited to our own Otis Criblecoblis). Towards the end of the movie, there is a 5 minute chase scene which has excellent exterior shots of the warehouse district downtown, Atwater Village, and the Cahuenga Pass. At least 3 Noirish LA posters have commented on this chase: 3940dxer and GaylordWilshire back on page 1417, and Scott Charles elsewhere.

Here's a link to a brief 2 minute, 40 second clip from the first portion of the chase, well worth watching:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VT...xYA0_LNIZi2Vtb

The most interesting to me are the downtown shots. And it is good I googled before putting effort into identifying each of them: last year, John Bengtson made a terrific and detailed blog post on these locations: In the comments section of Bengtson's blog, Scott Charles contributed a missing chase location ID.

The downtown venues were shot in the area bounded by E 6th, Alameda, E 7th, and the river:

Google Maps

Bengtson has some great "then and nows" - well worth seeing. Here's a "then" that he didn't include.

It fits between his location 16) and 17). Fields' car careens east down Produce Street past the Certain-Teed Products company warehouse and makes a quick jog south towards the California Warehouse building, then left to continue on the next east-west street which is Wholesale St. Here is the Sanborn map:

lapl.org

At 1:00 there is a scene of well-dressed citizens exiting south through an arcade from E 6th to Produce Street. They are immediately set upon by Fields' car and are forced to jump out of their shoes to get out of the way in time.

This is followed by a view of 2 confused motorcycle cops driving in circles outside an adjacent building with a sign "Beekeepers Supplies - Honey Beeswax."

Universal Pictures

I wondered if this were a real business or just something made up for the movie. I looked in the CDs and found that bee products actually were a thing, although the only business listed was several blocks away from where Bengtson placed these shots. But looking more closely at the Sanborn above, there is an "apiary supplies" building at 1300 Produce. Searching for that address yielded several entries for the Diamond Match Company, which does not appear to be insect-related at first sight.

This company, according to Wikipedia, continues to be the leading producer of matches (12B/yr) in the USA, and was controlled in the 1920s by Ivar Kreuger, the Swedish Match King - "a genius and swindler," the "Leonardo of larcenists," according to John Kenneth Galbraith. Kreuger operated Diamond Match as his personal Ponzi scheme until his (suspicious) death in 1932.

So what about these bees? Google provided the answer in an AP wire story from August 3, 2004:
CHICO, Calif. (AP) -- One of the original Diamond Match factory buildings in Chico has gone up in flames, apparently a victim of arson.
Firefighters found that doors and support timbers had been piled up near a staircase to feed the blaze that engulfed the building early Monday.
The 13,000-square-foot building constructed in 1905 was used to raise bees and to make honeycomb frames from wood left over from making match sticks. The bees helped pollinate the area's crops, and the company often purchased the resulting honey.
Operations at the plant ended in 1989, and the current owner of the 137-acre factory property had hoped to restore it and other original buildings to anchor a development to include single-family homes, townhouses, apartments, shops and restaurants.
Good stuff, Lorendoc! And thanks for the mention.

Did you submit your new info at John Bengtson's website? I'm pretty sure he'd “bee” interested in it...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Yes...

L.A. Times Mapping L.A. boundaries of "Palms."

Wikimedia

Palms (originally "The Palms") is a highly diverse, densely populated community in the Westside region of Los Angeles, California, founded in 1886 and the oldest neighborhood annexed to the city, in 1915. The 1886 tract was marketed as an agricultural and vacation community. Today it is a primarily residential area, with a large number of apartment buildings, ribbons of commercial zoning and a single-family residential area in its northwest corner.

I was curious to compare the LAT's Palms boundaries to those of the 1915 annexation...

LOC

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 3, 2019 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:37 PM
BANNED

We've seen this gif before but its always good to see it again.

Peggy 'shoot'em up' Cummins

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:15 PM

re: W.C. Fields - Matches - Bees

I agree with Scott_Charles, your post was great, Lorendoc! -very sleuthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc
CHICO, Calif. -- One of the original Diamond Match factory buildings in Chico has gone up in flames, apparently a victim of arson.
Firefighters found that doors and support timbers had been piled up near a staircase to feed the blaze that engulfed the building early Monday.
The 13,000-square-foot building constructed in 1905 was used to raise bees and to make honeycomb frames from wood left over from making match sticks.
I had no idea beekeeping was a side product of match making. (file this under: "You learn something everyday."]

also...

"The Diamond Match factory was apparently a victim of arson.
Firefighters found that doors and support timbers had been piled up near a staircase."

I wouldn't think a FIRE at a MATCH FACTORY would need any additional help.
(I just noticed the fire was in 2004. ..so the match factory had been out of business for over twenty years when the fire occured.)

Here is the old Diamond Match factory in Chico, Ca.

scu-chico_

postscript:

I thought Chico was in the Inland Valley. I didn't realize it was north of Sacramento!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 4, 2019 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
We've seen this gif before but its always good to see it again.

Peggy 'shoot'em up' Cummins
Was this filmed in Reseda? I know some of the street scenes were.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:35 PM

Yes, it was!

HERE is a short list of locations. (very short list...of two)

I thought we had covered them on NLA but I wasn't able to find the previous posts. (still looking)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
I thought Chico was in the Inland Valley. I didn't realize it was so far north.
You might be thinking of Chino, and its offshoot, Chino Hills.

Chico is home to the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, and that "party school" Cal State Chico.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
You might be thinking of Chino, and its offshoot, Chino Hills.
Thanks sopas. You made me feel better.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 10:01 PM

Here are a couple mystery locations from the UMC Digital Archive. (found while researching the EPWORTH LEAGUE)

The church looks, somewhat, familiar...but I don't recall a "Norwegian-Danish Home for Girls".

Would this be the old Hollenbeck Home? (if so...I don't recall the gazebo)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 3, 2019 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple mystery locations from the UMC Digital Archive. (found while researching the EPWORTH LEAGUE)

The church looks, somewhat, familiar...but I don't recall a "Norwegian-Danish Home for Girls".

[...]

_
e_r, it's a thing (or at least was in 1923):

from the 1923 publication

But where in L.A. was it???

In 1923, the Episcopalians were considering a home for girls:

LA Times 1/25/23 via ProQuest via CSULB Library

Both L.A. and San Pedro have such an address (1422 W. 3rd St.) . . . and San Pedro comes to mind because there was long a strong Norwegian presence there. But . . . I dunno . . .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 12:50 AM

Or maybe?

"The Western Norwegian Danish Conference was founded in 1888 when many Scandinavians migrated to the United States and settled on the Pacific Coast. There were nine churches from San Pedro in the south to Bellingham, Washington in the north. The Annual Conference met in different location each year. Members of the host congregations would provide housing and meals. The summer family camps for the California churches were held at Mt. Herman, near Santa Cruz.

The Los Angeles Church was at Olympic Boulevard and Bixel Avenue and had a church building, parsonage, and a Girls Home, which provided a home away from home for the many single women who had found employment in the Los Angeles area.

In 1939, the church joined the Southern California Conference and changed its name to Bethany. A decade later when there was no further need for services in the Scandinavian language, the property was sold and members joined First Church, Trinity or Wilshire."

documento.mx

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 31 December 1921

The original address at 1025 W. 10th Street changed to -

rescarta.lapl.org

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 4:43 AM

Thanks for your help odinthor and Noir Noir. I really appreciate it.

I've been searching for another photograph of the church but haven't had much luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor

San Pedro comes to mind because there was long a strong Norwegian presence there.

San Pedro had crossed my mind as well, odinthor.

Remember this place...

skyscraperpage

Still there. GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos