HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Okay, here's another one. The residence office told my daughter that since she applied on time, she is guaranteed a residence room. But in the same sentence they said she was 174 on the wait list. To me, wait list says that all the rooms are spoken for and she has to wait for 173 cancellations.

But maybe all they mean is that when it comes time to assign rooms, 173 people are ahead of her for assignment.

Any thoughts?
I'll guess that everything will be fine. I think (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that each res student, regardless of having been in a house before, has to reapply each year. So if that's the case, being 173 on the list is great considering there's probably housing for probably 2000 people. Even if being 173 isn't including returning students, there's a large number of students who do not decide to go back for each year so room availability shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't worry; I've never heard of anyone's res application being rejected if it was submitted on time

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

As I understand it, they just mean she will get the 174th-best room.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:28 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
As I understand it, they just mean she will get the 174th-best room.
Excellent! 174th best out of 2000 is pretty good
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:31 AM

Some movement on MUN's Battery Hotel development. This is on the telegrams website today.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...attery-Hotel/1

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 12:50 PM

I hope their vision includes an upgrade of the exterior...the white vinyl is a little outdated.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Okay, here's another one. The residence office told my daughter that since she applied on time, she is guaranteed a residence room. But in the same sentence they said she was 174 on the wait list. To me, wait list says that all the rooms are spoken for and she has to wait for 173 cancellations.

But maybe all they mean is that when it comes time to assign rooms, 173 people are ahead of her for assignment.

Any thoughts?
Generally, MUN policy is to give a residence room to any first year student who wants one. A couple of years ago they also started giving first years preference to spots in Burton's Pond which used to be for returning students. Saying she is guaranteed a room, but is 174th on the waitlist is a strange way of phrasing it.

When I went through I was sent a letter saying I had been accepted to residence, then in August I was sent another letter with my room number and roommate's name.

I can't imagine there being a waitlist already, so like others have said, I would think she is 174/2000. But it probably wouldn't hurt to call and clarify with the housing office. I received a lot of letters with redundant phrases in them which just confused me, and it's one of the things MUN is best known for. They have bloated administration and staff, 90% of which are awful to deal with. Faculty is a totally different story, they're great, just don't expect much help at the registrar's office, academic advising, housing...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM

Consultations on MUN's Plans for Battery Hotel

Quote:
Public consultations are planned this May and June on Memorial University's plans for the old Battery Hotel. MUN bought the hotel last year and plans to use it for office and research space, and residences. A conceptual design for the facility has been developed involving a two-phase renovation process.

The initial phase will see the renovation of the main building, the harbour view wing and the former hotel tower. The second phase will include the pool and city view wing which will be open to public consultation. Replacement of the office tower windows has already begun. Public consultation sessions are planned in Clarenville, Gander, Corner Brook and Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

The St. John's session is scheduled for Thursday, June 12th from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Johnson GEO Centre.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...45582&latest=1

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 6:58 PM

MUN now has a slideshow-style presentation up including a number of initial renderings by RDH Architects. They're also soliciting ideas online and everyone here really should consider it. It looks like no one has actually responded yet, so your idea may not have much competition! See: http://www.mun.ca/battery/consultation/

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:10 PM

looks interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
MUN now has a slideshow-style presentation up including a number of initial renderings by RDH Architects. They're also soliciting ideas online and everyone here really should consider it. It looks like no one has actually responded yet, so your idea may not have much competition! See: http://www.mun.ca/battery/consultation/

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
looks interesting.
Just read through the presentation, it looks very promising!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 1:43 PM

The big thing for me with respect to the Battery is the exterior appearance and what can be done to improve that. I’d like to see a change from the white, something to blend in with the surroundings a bit better. The renderings of the proposed interior changes look very positive however there isn’t much to go on for the exterior, those renderings are probably very vague because choices for siding are still preliminary.

I’m encouraged by the possibilities for the city view wing, a nice expansion there would be great. If they could build over some of the surface parking to increase the mass of the building it would be good too. Underground parking though probably would be very costly considering the rock.

Hopefully we will see some activity by next summer.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 11:53 PM

looks like they're going to give it quite the overhaul
here's some slides from that link:

http://www.mun.ca/battery/consultation/info/

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 12:27 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Big improvement. I want to see the city-facing side so bad!

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 12:45 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

No doubt there will be quite an improvement. The city side has lots of potential for improvement; they could add some nice outside patio areas.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 1:25 AM

Would have loved to see better renderings of the exterior, but it looks great.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Hopefully we will see some activity by next summer.
They're hoping to have the graduate residence portion completed for the fall of 2015 so you'll definitely see some action soon. There doesn't seem to be any real timeline for the "city wing" portion that they've opened up for input (probably because they don't have the money for it).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 10:59 AM

Battery Hotel’s future focus of public event

Quote:
St. John’s residents will get a chance tonight to learn about Memorial University’s vision for the former Battery Hotel and offer suggestions of their own about its future use.

The university’s office of public engagement will host the event at the Johnson GEO Centre. It starts at 7 p.m. Those attending the event will be asked to make suggestions about programming at the site and what the university should do with space that’s not allocated for any specific use as of now.

Some aspects of the property’s future use are already set in stone. The Harris Centre, Genesis Centre, Gardiner Centre and the office of public engagement will move into the building, and more than 100 graduate students are expected to live there.

Portions of the property parallel to Cabot Avenue, including the pool area, have not been earmarked for any specific project as of yet, according to Rob Greenwood. He spearheads the Battery redevelopment project and is the executive director of the office of public engagement.

“We haven’t got the budget and we haven’t decided how we’re going to use that part of the building yet,” said Greenwood, who refers to that space collectively as the city-view wing of the property. That wing is 37,622 square feet.

When considering what might occupy this space, Greenwood said it is important to remain aware of the vision for the building as a hub for public engagement activities.

“We’d love to hear 100 ideas, and then maybe in the fall for that part of the building have (a public event) where you bring in the five or 10 or 15 ideas that seem like the best fit and see how it could all fit there,” he said.

The pool currently has a large crack in its foundation that could be repaired. Greenwood said the pool’s future was brought up by neighbours and added the option of repairing it has not been definitely ruled out.

Another suggested feature for the property was to have a restaurant or bar open to the public. Greenwood said the Graduate Students' Union is interested in this proposed feature and that people from the neighbourhood also mentioned it.

People interested in attending the event can register online at www.mun.ca/battery. Those who cannot make it to that event or other public consultations across the province scheduled for later this month can also submit their ideas through the same website.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ublic-event/1#

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:52 PM

Just got an email saying that at 1pm today at the Bruneau lecture hall (IIC 2001) they'll be unveiling three concept designs for the new science building. It's open to the public, anyone who wants to go can. I'm too bust so I won't be able to pop over but I'd expect to see some renderings very soon

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 12:26 PM

From the latest issue of the Gazette:

Original here, page 9.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's