HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:41 PM

Every time I look at the new rendering of this building the first thing that comes to my mind is: BOING!!!!!! It's like it sprouted out of the ground; something you would see on a loonie-toons cartoon.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:45 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Every time I look at the new rendering of this building the first thing that comes to my mind is: BOING!!!!!! It's like it sprouted out of the ground; something you would see on a loonie-toons cartoon.
It just need baloons attached.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Seems to me that the Dep mayor is pandering to a few residents of Pleasant Street, in an election year. Some of these residents have expressed that they'll be in constant shadow from the hotel, which of course is impossible - how can you get much shadow from the overhead sun in summer ?

The Dep Mayor's attitude is exactly what's hampering development.
In the winter the sun barely pokes its head over the Southside Hills. A tall building between a house and the sun will of course cast a shadow.

What's hampering development in the city is the low quality of many of the proposals and not the councillors who are only looking out for their constituents.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:51 AM

Hey guys, heads up. Jeddy just showed me a screen cap from the airport Hilton's facebook feed regarding their downtown Garden Inn proposal. It isn't dead!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 3:15 AM

Great.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:38 PM

Sounds like they are still looking to go forward with it. They might need to break ground soon if they hope to be in by 2016.
I wonder what the final design will be, we've seen a couple but that doesn't mean anything, look what happened to the Steele Hotel (JAG) between approval and construction.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:51 PM

I really hope it's not that retched blank wall cheap-ass "heritage" design. Unlike the Steele Hotel, council will be much more conscious with the design of this one because it's taller and people will see it and complain against such a "modern monstrosity". It's not fair that more negative attention and restrictions are placed on this hotel because it is simply a few floors taller. Steele should have got the same attention as this has.

Either way, I'm glad they are still planning to go ahead with construction. Hopefully we'll see this one among other delayed projects started this spring. 351 and Fortis should be finishing up soon freeing up some of the workforce!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
.... Hopefully we'll see this one among other delayed projects started this spring....
You mean JULY...when the snow finally melts !!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I really hope it's not that retched blank wall cheap-ass "heritage" design. Unlike the Steele Hotel, council will be much more conscious with the design of this one because it's taller and people will see it and complain against such a "modern monstrosity". It's not fair that more negative attention and restrictions are placed on this hotel because it is simply a few floors taller. Steele should have got the same attention as this has.

Either way, I'm glad they are still planning to go ahead with construction. Hopefully we'll see this one among other delayed projects started this spring. 351 and Fortis should be finishing up soon freeing up some of the workforce!
I hear that there'll be another design for the building

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I hear that there'll be another design for the building
Ohhhhhh! Where'd ya hear that

Hopefully it will be better than the last two!

And yes, Horsell, I seem to forget that this mess is what we call spring

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:52 PM

Look at what the hampton Inn and Suites just posted and notice which render!
I have a feeling that we'll be hearing more pretty soon. They probably want to start construction.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:49 PM

It’s encouraging to see that Hilton seems to be pressing ahead with their plans, let’s hope there are no further delays getting started this summer.

Does anyone recall where things stand with the City in terms of final approvals? There were at least two, if not three, designs floated about and the last I recall was that the architects were asked if they could reposition it in order to provide more of a buffer from the houses. One of my fears is that another design, that no one will ever get to see before construction, will be approved within The Bunker, a la JAG.

Let’s hope that all of this can be resolved without further delay, it would be nice to see some new activity in that area now that Fortis is winding down…slowly.

Initially I wasn’t thrilled with the first proposed design but now it is starting to look better each passing day. Maybe a bit more glass would help.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:32 PM

I think in the second design they moved the building position on the lot to give more of that buffer. What I'd ideally like to see is the first design built where the second design was placed on the lot. Or an even sexier third design

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:59 PM

Just saw in the council agenda for tonight that Manga purchased land on New Gower Street adjacent to their existing site. So I guess this project is still in the works. I'm guessing they may have purchased the land in order to move the location of the building on the site??

Refer to the very last page:http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202014.pdf

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 5:10 PM

Sounds promising...it would be nice to see a start on it before the end of the year. Still would like to see final proposal though, unlike the Steele Hotel (JAG) which varied significantly from what was originally proposed.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Just saw in the council agenda for tonight that Manga purchased land on New Gower Street adjacent to their existing site. So I guess this project is still in the works. I'm guessing they may have purchased the land in order to move the location of the building on the site??

Refer to the very last page:http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202014.pdf
They did mention back when the proposal first came out that they had hoped for a phase 2 of the project on the adjacent land to their current proposal. This could be them securing it now before someone else scoops it up.

I still have hope for this proposal, especially considering that they've been so involved with the public to make the project work, as well as having another "Hilton" brand hotel doing well in the city.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 3:34 PM

Council Agenda

Here is a blurb from the latest council meeting agenda - Page 23

1. PDE file no. B-17-N.2
Rezone to Commercial Central Office (CCO) Zone for Proposed Hotel
Development
150 New Gower Street - Ward 2
Applicant: Manga Hotels
Council Directive CD #R2013-02-25/6
Mr. Vahé Kouyoumdjian was welcomed to the meeting and addressed the Committee. He indicated that
as a result of public feedback several enhancements were made to the design of the hotel including:
a. The building now hugs the street
b. The building no longer impedes sight lines
c. There are no windows immediately overlooking residential properties
d. There will be a substantial landscape buffer behind the properties on the south side of Pleasant Street
e. Provision has been made to have interior garbage dumpsters.
f. The building now has a more aesthetically pleasing façade.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202015.pdf

To me it sounds like he is describing the second design which none of us found aesthetically pleasing. I hope I'm wrong and he is referring to a newer 3rd design. Interestingly enough the Magna website still shows the original design on their New Developments page. Given the 2 options we know of I would rather they went with this one.

http://www.mangahotels.com/newdevelopments.htm

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:17 PM

I'm really hoping for the first design with the lot placement of the second design. Or a third design we haven't seen yet that's somewhat of a compromise.

Really glad that this proposal isn't dead, a welcome addition to downtown (and it'll give us something to talk about again )

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 3:27 PM

Maybe they'll have a whole new design! Neither were good.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiedog View Post
Here is a blurb from the latest council meeting agenda - Page 23

1. PDE file no. B-17-N.2
Rezone to Commercial Central Office (CCO) Zone for Proposed Hotel
Development
150 New Gower Street - Ward 2
Applicant: Manga Hotels
Council Directive CD #R2013-02-25/6
Mr. Vahé Kouyoumdjian was welcomed to the meeting and addressed the Committee. He indicated that
as a result of public feedback several enhancements were made to the design of the hotel including:
a. The building now hugs the street
b. The building no longer impedes sight lines
c. There are no windows immediately overlooking residential properties
d. There will be a substantial landscape buffer behind the properties on the south side of Pleasant Street
e. Provision has been made to have interior garbage dumpsters.
f. The building now has a more aesthetically pleasing façade.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202015.pdf

To me it sounds like he is describing the second design which none of us found aesthetically pleasing. I hope I'm wrong and he is referring to a newer 3rd design. Interestingly enough the Magna website still shows the original design on their New Developments page. Given the 2 options we know of I would rather they went with this one.

http://www.mangahotels.com/newdevelopments.htm
I'm very pleased to see this project going ahead. I honestly thought this was another dead one. I'm siding with PoscStudent and hoping they come out with a new design. Point (f) states that the building is more aesthetically pleasing so that's a positive takeaway; hopefully a new render will surface soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's