HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 9:25 PM

I think it's safe to say that this tower is a fitting tallest for a city of Shanghai's stature. Very graceful and elegant in a way that few towers are. But once it's finished what will Shanghai do for an encore?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 10:45 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think it's safe to say that this tower is a fitting tallest for a city of Shanghai's stature. Very graceful and elegant in a way that few towers are. But once it's finished what will Shanghai do for an encore?
I don't think there are any more sites in Lujiazui which will allow for the construction of a supertall skyscraper. The only other site that I've heard of that would allow construction of a very tall building is in Xujiahui, on the other side of the river. I'd love to see a supertall go up there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:10 PM
Fake News

This belongs in a new Batman movie!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nashville already has a batman building:

Wikipedia

So does Montreal:

Mtlblog.com
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:54 PM
Fake News

I love Montreal's Batman. Reminds me of a taser too.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
From the last few days

cloud 9 by matteroffact, on Flickr
I'm in love.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 8:00 PM

Awe inspiring and gorgeous. The beauty is in its simplicity.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 6:20 PM

Finally got to see this thing in person last week (and made it my Instagram for the week), having not been in Shanghai for a few years (and never in Pudong on that trip). It's pretty fucking impressive. Though I still wouldn't want to work let alone live in Pudong.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 10:41 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Finally got to see this thing in person last week (and made it my Instagram for the week), having not been in Shanghai for a few years (and never in Pudong on that trip). It's pretty fucking impressive. Though I still wouldn't want to work let alone live in Pudong.
I can understand not wanting to live in Lujiazui, but not work there? Why not? There are a lot of amenities there, especially along the river, that would make working there pretty decent, IMO.

As a destination it has improved significantly over the past 4-5 years, and is now much easier to get around on foot than it used to be.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 8:14 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^ I agree. Living in Lujiazui would become a drag after a while, but working there would be fine. The IFC complex has added a lot to the area.

The one MAJOR problem with Lujiazui is rush hour. It has to be one of the most congested stations in all of Shanghai. The amount of people crushed in to that rather small station is a huge turn off, and finding a taxi during rush hour is almost impossible. Even if you do get one, you'll be stuck in the tunnel to Puxi for 20 minutes.

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think I'd want to work there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 3:19 PM

Not a big fan of this one. It isn't impressive for anything other than height (the design is very bland) and, unfortunately, it puts the once-impressive Jin Mao and World Financial Center in its shadow. Those towers are both great pieces of architecture (particularly Jin Mao) and it's a shame that they are no longer the centrepieces of the Shanghai skyline.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 8:14 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^ I agree. Living in Lujiazui would become a drag after a while, but working there would be fine. The IFC complex has added a lot to the area.

The one MAJOR problem with Lujiazui is rush hour. It has to be one of the most congested stations in all of Shanghai. The amount of people crushed in to that rather small station is a huge turn off, and finding a taxi during rush hour is almost impossible. Even if you do get one, you'll be stuck in the tunnel to Puxi for 20 minutes.

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think I'd want to work there.
Should be better after Line 14 opens in a few years' time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Not a big fan of this one. It isn't impressive for anything other than height (the design is very bland) and, unfortunately, it puts the once-impressive Jin Mao and World Financial Center in its shadow. Those towers are both great pieces of architecture (particularly Jin Mao) and it's a shame that they are no longer the centrepieces of the Shanghai skyline.

Definitely not bland, especially in person. The design of this one is up to the standards of the other two, and IMO even exceeds them. And from the ground, it most certainly doesn't put either of the other two towers in its shadow - they're every bit as impressive looking up at them as they've ever been.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 8:44 PM
Certified Idahoan

Is there a render lost somewhere on this thread that shows this building as it will look all lit up. LED's and all? I'm really curious to see the complete vision.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 11:51 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I recently saw the six-foot tall scale model of Shanghai Tower at the AutoDesk offices in downtown San Francisco (apparently, the architects/engineers used some AustoDesk software in the design phase)--it's an incredibly beautiful design.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Two Chinese Guys Copied That Insane Shanghai Tower Climb

==============================
http://kotaku.com/two-chinese-guys-c...lim-1532287408

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:28 PM

Tower climbing seems to be the latest in alternative extreme sports.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:56 PM

The building's design is very original and organic...

However, it reminds me of an Elephant's schlong...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post

Definitely not bland, especially in person. The design of this one is up to the standards of the other two, and IMO even exceeds them. And from the ground, it most certainly doesn't put either of the other two towers in its shadow - they're every bit as impressive looking up at them as they've ever been.
I totally agree. Especially when seen in person. I was in Shanghai last summer, and I was totally blown away by this tower. The best skyscraper in China (along with the peerless Bank of China building in HK).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 10:16 PM
if I sang out of tune

view from the top

Soaring above by Tony Shi., on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:42 PM

Is he using "chi"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Two Chinese Guys Copied That Insane Shanghai Tower Climb

==============================
http://kotaku.com/two-chinese-guys-c...lim-1532287408
"The force is strong with him"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive