HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Arc in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
This is the exact quite from what you just posted:
It says "most", not all. Look closely at what I said earlier: I didn't say ALL either. I wouldn't want residents to put whatever Christmas lights they want without Strata control, especially when there are already decorative lights outside the building. Maybe you should learn how to read first before gleefully jumping into attacking me every opportunity you have.

Quote from Article:

But the new rules shouldn’t affect most regular Christmas lights, chief licence inspector Kathryn Holm said. The city’s report illustrates the kinds of “poorly designed light fixtures that produce glare and light trespass,” including unshielded floodlights, wall-mounts or “period-style fixtures.”

Nice try, Leftcoaster. Better luck next time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:32 AM

Exactly, it says nusiance lights, and leaves out regular christmas lights (the word you conveniently forgot to bold).... It's not made to regulate Christmas lights Vin finds unappealing.

Perhaps you should learn to read. Or write for that matter, since this is the incoherent mess of a sentence you patched together originally:

Quote:
I hope the residents will not be able to install all kinds of Christmas light decorations
Is that you hope they wont be able to install ALL kinds of Christmas light, as in none at all? You hope they wont be able to install all kinds in the plural sense of too much? Or do you hope they are not able to install them in the sense of the verb?

So it's tough to say what you said with any surety at all, since it's just a garbled mess, like most of your points.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly, it says nusiance lights, and leaves out regular christmas lights (the word you conveniently forgot to bold).... It's not made to regulate Christmas lights Vin finds unappealing.

Perhaps you should learn to read. Or write for that matter, since this is the incoherent mess of a sentence you patched together originally:

Is that you hope they wont be able to install ALL kinds of Christmas light, as in none at all? You hope they wont be able to install all kinds in the plural sense of too much? Or do you hope they are not able to install them in the sense of the verb?

So it's tough to say what you said with any surety at all, since it's just a garbled mess, like most of your points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Not trying to be a party pooper, but I hope the residents will not be able to install all kinds of Christmas light decorations and ruin this neat look. Strata please take note.
Sure, I should've said, "hope they won't be able to install all kinds of Christmas lights THEY WANT". I did clarify it at my next posting saying to limit the kinds of lights that ruin the aesthetics. So why the continued aggression from you? You need to note that the City bylaw restricting lights is also part of the "Untidy premises Bylaw", and this would apply to nuisance lights that messes up property aesthetics too.

Your posting:
Quote:
What's the limit? 40 bulbs per unit?
Don't pretend that you were merely trying to be a Grammar teacher: this pack rat mentality needs to stop. For a moderator, this type of behaviour is unbecoming. I implore you to learn from Officedweller or SpongeG regarding how they respond to my postings. Even if they don't agree with someone, their statements are not filled with sarcasms or insults like yours.

Last edited by Vin; Oct 17, 2019 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
limit? limit it to what? do you also want to limit how many trees there can be on one side of the building? "i am sorry, your neighbour below has a tree, so therefore you cannot unless it is not visible in the windows."

such an asinine idea, and response.

probably wants to limit the bulb colour, brightness, and size to.

"wow wow wow, you cant have that build! its too bright!"

"sorry, that isn't an approved colour"

"oh, you're 22 bulbs over your quota, you need to remove these ones."
I simply laugh at your response. Yes, this is exactly what the City and bylaw want! I'm surprised LeftCoaster hasn't rushed in to correct you on what you just said.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
Vin lecturing others about being too melodramatic?

You really have no idea how you're perceived on this forum.

Vin, instead of complaining about people insulting you, maybe ask what is it about yourself that's garnering all these insults from the occasional members to moderators. Is it your biased logic or your crass arrogance? I find it very amusing when someone is so arrogant that he'd go great lengths to defend his position no matter how wrong or flawed his reasoning is. But alas, you'll still continue with the usual #vinlogic and provide us a show.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy View Post

Vin, instead of complaining about people insulting you, maybe ask what is it about yourself that's garnering all these insults from the occasional members to moderators. Is it your biased logic or your crass arrogance? I find it very amusing when someone is so arrogant that he'd go great lengths to defend his position no matter how wrong or flawed his reasoning is. But alas, you'll still continue with the usual #vinlogic and provide us a show.

This is from the City of Vancouver's website, and controlling messy lights is just one of the strategies:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...-strategy.aspx
Outdoor Lighting Strategy
Lighting helps make our streets safe for all road users, enhances our public spaces, and helps us to enjoy our city at night. To meet the needs of residents and businesses, Vancouver has developed an Outdoor Lighting Strategy.

The strategy provides direction on outdoor lighting on streets, public spaces, and private properties across the city. It is meant to:

Improve public safety
Provide accessible and inviting outdoor spaces
Reduce light pollution
Reduce energy usage and cost
Minimize ecological impacts
What is in the strategy
Updates to the Building By-law (effective November 1, 2019)
Updates to the Untidy Premises By-law (effective November 1, 2019)
New engineering street and public realm design guidelines
Corporate leadership in our own facilities
Exploration of opportunities to support dark-sky programming and education on light pollution

So how can my logic be biased? It's my own opinion that Strata should control messy Christmas lights, and feel free to speak up if you don't agree. You are the arrogant one here and being a troll just like Squeezied, and I can expect you to show your arrogance once again as it happens every single time and that never fails. Instead of talking about the topic at hand, you are here to join the mob.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:16 PM

I live across the street from a couple of condos with neon lighting in the Olympic village. It's very unpleasant as the lighting negatively impacts sleep. I'm a big supporter of public art and social spaces in urban environments. However, neon lighting on building frames only serves to make urban environments less livable.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov View Post
I live across the street from a couple of condos with neon lighting in the Olympic village. It's very unpleasant as the lighting negatively impacts sleep. I'm a big supporter of public art and social spaces in urban environments. However, neon lighting on building frames only serves to make urban environments less livable.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. Use blackout curtains, or blinds like I do. I've lived in the centre of the city for over 3 decades. It never gets dark. You need to use window coverings. It's not an unreasonable ask, but making the city dark and unwelcoming IS an unreasonable ask.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Yvr View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. Use blackout curtains, or blinds like I do. I've lived in the centre of the city for over 3 decades. It never gets dark. You need to use window coverings. It's not an unreasonable ask, but making the city dark and unwelcoming IS an unreasonable ask.
If its lighting generated from people doing activities and thriving businesses I would be super happy. On the other hand, large stripes of neon lighting in an area that is otherwise dead is mostly a nuisance.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:32 PM

Yeah, people can't seem to use curtains and blinds.
That's why you have all those buildings being built with blank walls so people can't look into other people's condos - when the solution is for people to close their blinds or curtains if they don't want people to look in. People don't seem to raise the issue in lowrises, despite the distances being the same or worse than between towers.
You can also angle your blinds to block out some, but not all, light or views. Same applies in summer for blocking bright sunlight.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 12:07 AM

You know what, all of those here on this forum and those living in the city, and I live in the city, downtown Vancouver as a matter of fact, need to suck it up and shut up when it comes to bright lights or even some ambient lights in the downtown..........THIS IS A DOWNTOWN!!!! It is entitled to be bright, vibrant and full of excitement (which clearly Vancouver lacks). If you don't like lights emanating from a city, get the f*** out!!!!! Live in the burbs!!!! Nothing wrong with that. I am so tired of the complaining of those living in the city or close to the city that the lights are too bright and they can't sleep or they can't see the freekin' mountains because the building are blocking their f***ing view. MOVE TO COQUITLAM....... don't worry, you will see the mountain vistas and you may even see the city lights from afar!!!!! And.....get this.....they won't disrupt your beauty sleep. Jeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!
Are we forgetting that Vancouver (well Granville St and E. Hastings to some degree)was once labelled the neon capital of the world. What did that get us? We can list several projects that literally had their light features 'Turned off' such as Telus residential, what a joke that turned out to be, Trump after 10 pm..........AFTER 10 PM!!!!! (The darkest ugliest building at night, oh and the second tallest, another, but the name slips me, on Pender close to West Georgia, the lower tower's lights back on but the $400k light art feature, turned off due to NIMBY complaints. And take a good look at our similar Vancouver House design to that of the Office Tower in Calgary (Telus) where theirs has an amazing light art feature. I know Vancouver House is not an office tower but it IS a Gateway entrance tower to our city.
I am allowed to voice my opinion, I was born here in 1965, and for some reason still remain......go figure.

Last edited by ranvancan; Oct 21, 2019 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 12:40 AM

Worth noting that developers usually cheap out on blinds and window coverings. Perhaps they should be made to include better windows coverings, and it would generate less complaints.

Rants aside, you need to accommodate the lowest common denominator, or you'll always get complaints and the "majority rules" in that case.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:35 AM

I live in the downtown peninsula & have a skyline view. There's a building 4 blocks from me with a spotlight which happens to be aimed in my general direction & it is quite annoying. So I can see certain lights being a PITA. I view the Lions Gate Bridge, Trump tower, the spire on Wall (that sucker is bright) from a distance so from my perspective they are quite enjoyable, but for those who are closer they might be too bright.

My pics Oct.19

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 3:13 AM

cities around the world are ditching neon light framing on skyscrapers. Why? Because it's bad urban design. Most neon installations are ugly and dated. I absolutely agree that downtown deserves vibrancy, but neon lighting makes cities worse without making it any more vibrant.

I'm no nimby, I want the whole lower mainland to redevelop from point grey to langley. That doesn't mean I want neon lights. The 80s aren't cool anymore. Neon capital today would be a trashy trademark at best.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cov View Post
cities around the world are ditching neon light framing on skyscrapers. Why? Because it's bad urban design. Most neon installations are ugly and dated. I absolutely agree that downtown deserves vibrancy, but neon lighting makes cities worse without making it any more vibrant.

I'm no nimby, I want the whole lower mainland to redevelop from point grey to langley. That doesn't mean I want neon lights. The 80s aren't cool anymore. Neon capital today would be a trashy trademark at best.
Again......another mis-understood reader. My quote was not meant to say that neon lighting today would be terrific, I simply stated that once upon a time, Vancouver was 'state of the art, ahead of the game, a place to see'.......you get the point? Now if we maintained that type of role playing, if you will, then maybe today we would have proper ultra modern, contemporary lighting shining in our city......Not NEON.......!! We can't even flood light our most treasured building green copper roof such as Vancouver Hotel because the birds will drop dead in the sky.....ha ha ha. And the examples such as The Arc are not Neon, they are LED.

Last edited by ranvancan; Oct 21, 2019 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 5:50 PM

Agreed, neon lighting is very dated and shouldn't be used on large projects. I don't think anyone would be in favour of that type of lighting. LED lighting however is very modern and if used properly can enhance certain architectural features.

Proper creative lighting is still very much a part of urban design. If done right can add so much to a city, and like anything it can also be done wrong and take away from the city. LED lights have given whole new creative element that should be embraced.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:59 PM

Agreed that it's not the technology used (neon vs LED, etc)
but the manner and design of installation.
The Arc and One Pacific work really well to frame the gateway to downtown.

The silliest looking lights are the 2 white frames on the Olympic Village condos visible to the east when driving north on Cambie Bridge.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:31 AM

By neon lighting, I just mean string like lighting around the frames of highrises. They look tacky especially on residential buildings and don't add vibrancy to the building one bit. I don't think it matters whether the tech is LED or future replacements. The ones in Olympic village look horrendous, Arc doesn't look like its gonna look any better.

Are there examples where neon frame lights working well?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:40 AM

this is the future. I could see harbour centre doing something like this, no residents nearby and wouldn't annoy people on the north shore.

Video Link

The lights on the Arc though, would they not shine directly into the units they are on? or is their placement diminish the light going towards the units?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:18 AM

The Arc lights are in a recess in the balcony railing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver